Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

With Factorissimo, you can really push the limits of hammerspace.

Nothing like having a factory building in your pocket that can literally contain an entire rocket supply line; raw copper/iron/crude/power in one side, rocket parts out the other. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Sage Grimm posted:

It depends on what the train is going to be doing.

Is it doing simple like loading and unloading a single product that's not immediately required for other products? Then you can get away with a train schedule with just 'Empty Inventory' @ station unload, 'Full Inventory' @ station load endpoints.
If you assume you're going to have trouble filling up the train fully because your mine is starting to fall off or you want a steady stream of product moving, then adding an 'OR X seconds has passed' @ station load endpoint.
If you assume your train depot does not have enough space to unload fully, then you want 'OR X seconds of inactivity' @ station unload endpoint. Or 'X seconds has passed,' here it doesn't matter all that much.

Beyond that, you can dabble with logic like the qualifiers 'Iron Plate = 0 AND Coal = 0' if you're supplying an oil station with the necessary things for plastic and flamer fuel. Or even hook the station to your circuit network and have the train be sent off when some logic is true. But that's more "you can do some really complex things if you want a goal to strive for."

That's pretty much what I have for my trains, with one exception. If you're like me and crazy enough to barrel oil from outposts (without a tanker mod) then you need to take into account taking empty barrels back out to the outpost. You can use a basic "X seconds have passed" or fancier circuit conditions at each stop.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Factorissimos in Factorissimos in Factorissimos..

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

So I'm 18 hours into a challenge save (no solar, logistics bots, or lasers.) I thought I had peaceful on, given that there had only been a few biter hits, and those only after I went hunting for artifacts, so I thought it was just normal retaliation.

I do not have peaceful on. A bunch of biters showed up and started hitting my power plant directly. I now recall that I set the biter richness low enough that none were nearby to sense me until my megafactory started seriously polluting miles away- and now I'm going to get swamped by blue biters when I have no defenses.

This might be interesting.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Zomborgon posted:

I do not have peaceful on.

Lemme know how the flame turrets work out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I believe you wouldn't be able to do those challenges with peaceful biters on anyway.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sage Grimm posted:

I believe you wouldn't be able to do those challenges with peaceful biters on anyway.

Hence why it wasn't on peaceful. I figured later on that I had messed up and did turn it on, but kept going anyway just to see if I would get the achievements.

My past self is just too tricky for me.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
:science:

That's a cooling tower combined with pumps controlled by core temperature and water level to prevent the reactor from overheating.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 20, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nice. I like the idea of otherwise potentially OP pieces needing smart use of the logistics system to see their full benefit.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
'potentially op'

Yeah I guess you're right, let's take some cues from the best and make it take 40+ hours real time to pay back it's buy in, be compatible with nothing but the owners items without converters, cost 20x as much as is reasonable, nerf anything else to enforce the precious vision, and of course explode if even the slightest thing goes wrong with no retrievable parts.

Why not just Greg it the gently caress up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

'potentially op'

Yeah I guess you're right, let's take some cues from the best and make it take 40+ hours real time to pay back it's buy in, be compatible with nothing but the owners items without converters, cost 20x as much as is reasonable, nerf anything else to enforce the precious vision, and of course explode if even the slightest thing goes wrong with no retrievable parts.

Why not just Greg it the gently caress up.

Which is why I said I liked that it requires some commitment to implement to its full potential in the form of planning/thought instead of nerfing it to hell. :confused:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GotLag posted:

:science:

That's a cooling tower combined with pumps controlled by core temperature and water level to prevent the reactor from overheating.

This looks awesome and makes me very pleased that it is both still environmentally destructive in theme (once-through) and also a complex little system that looks kinda fun to figure out while still blueprintable once you do.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Now if you really want to make it exciting, make a higher-end reactor that puts out even more heat... but it puts out a semi-random amount of heat, so it will DEFINITELY scram and poo poo the bed if you don't build a smart feedback system to regulate temperature.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm sticking with my pitch of a high power turbine generator that takes high pressure steam fluid and lubricant (or better yet a light oil version of lubricant for realism, call it turbine oil or get creative).

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

Which is why I said I liked that it requires some commitment to implement to its full potential in the form of planning/thought instead of nerfing it to hell. :confused:

It's a reflex I have after far too long working on MC modpacks and listening to people honestly pushing the listed as 'true fun' and 'proper mod design'.

The level of devotion to the mod with an author who compared making a port to actual literal rape, complete with tacky hosed up propaganda is questionable among them/

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

StealthArcher posted:

It's a reflex I have after far too long working on MC modpacks and listening to people honestly pushing the listed as 'true fun' and 'proper mod design'.

The level of devotion to the mod with an author who compared making a port to actual literal rape, complete with tacky hosed up propaganda is questionable among them/

Come on though, Minecraft modding is a circle of hell all for itself and thankfully mostly confined there.

In other news, load up 0.14.8

quote:

FactorioBot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Optimizations
The crc check cycles between sets of 10 players, reducing the time of it in crowded games.

Minor features
Disconnecting wires now updates the "last user" tag.
Technology progress is preverved when the research is changed before it is completed.
Added ignore_player_limit_for_returning_players option to the server-settings and equivalent when hosting from the game.
Added in game command /config password <password>. It allows server admins to change the server password.
Added in game command /config max-players <number>. It allows server admins to change the maximum number of players.
With more than 10 players in multiplayer game, the server only saves the map for joining players once in a while, so the game isn't interrupted by saving every couple of seconds in bigger games. It goes from 1s with 10 players up to 45s with 450 players (which is the maximum).
Added only_admins_can_pause_the_game into the server-settings.

Bugfixes
Fixed that you could enter enemy vehicles. (32724)
Fixed that zooming the view during pause (via Shift-Space) would teleport the player. (32758)
Fixed vehicle machine guns not showing bonuses. (32747)
Fixed performance issue on maps with lot of surfaces (for example maps with Factorissimo mod.)
Fixed gates not opening for characters soon enough. (32818)
Fixed some campaign levels didn't allow interacting with any entities at some places. (32839)
Fixed crash when opening the character GUI in the map editor. (32081)
Fixed redundant technology requirement. (32886)
Fixed server browser playtime column formatting (32942)
Fixed crash related to rail-signal connection. (32740)
Fixed crash when reconnection attempt is refused. (32937)
Fixed that when server quit/dropped, the dialog could be hidden behind menu. (32859)
Optimized inserting items to chests with large inventories; this will boost performance for some games with Warehousing mod. (32384)
Fixed duplicate mods crashing the game on startup (31790) Instead, a notice box is displayed and the highest (possibly unzipped) version is preferred.
Moved the downloading/saving/loading progress bar of other people in a scroll pane so it doesn't cover the whole left part of the screen with a lot of people.
Fixed the quickbar selection wouldn't properly update when interacting with other entities in some cases. (32952)
Fixed that --benchmark would process its argument differently than all other command-line parameters (32993)
Fixed crash when loading game with character in flying vehicle from mod that is over water. (33014)

Stable can't be too far now.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ratzap posted:

> Fixed performance issue on maps with lot of surfaces (for example maps with Factorissimo mod.)

time to go fractal

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ratzap posted:

In other news, load up 0.14.8

It's amazing how many of the changes listed here are straight from that Arumba/Steejo mega game. All of them, though some were ones that the devs said were already on the roadmap.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wait why can you no longer enter an enemy vehicle? I want to raid blue teams motor pool of fully armed tanks!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

M_Gargantua posted:

Wait why can you no longer enter an enemy vehicle? I want to raid blue teams motor pool of fully armed tanks!

I think the idea is that you can't enter a vehicle driven by an enemy or something along those lines.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Now if you really want to make it exciting, make a higher-end reactor that puts out even more heat... but it puts out a semi-random amount of heat, so it will DEFINITELY scram and poo poo the bed if you don't build a smart feedback system to regulate temperature.
That's sort of how it already works, the heat output changes (but not randomly)
Water in the reactor is heated at the cost of cooling the core (the amount of cooling depends on the quantity and temperature of the input water).
The reactor attempts to heat its core to 150°C, slowly ramping up its heat production if that temperature has not yet been reached, ramping down production if it has. It also has a minimum throttle setting it won't drop below (currently 20% or 5 MW).

This reactor internal throttle control is intentionally crude, so if you power up a reactor with no load, it will overshoot the target core temp unless it has a cooling tower. It will also require cooling while it's throttling down after a sudden drop in load.

I need to do more testing, and I may in fact set the minimum throttle to zero and increase the overshoot so that's the only time that the basic fission cycle needs active cooling.
My current plan is that the breeder fuel cycle will have a sufficiently high minimum throttle that two cooling towers will be required.
Fuel consumption also needs tweaking. The base time for a fuel cycle is 10 minutes, I am thinking that I will adjust that on the fly, so that a reactor at 0-20% power (minimum throttle) will last 10 minutes on a single fuel load, but at 100% it will last 5 minutes. Or I might leave nuclear fuel consumption constant, depending on testing.

As far as player control of the reactor goes, I am intending only one control: a halt signal, that if received will cause the reactor the throttle to zero (ignoring minimum) and then pause the reaction (and so pause fuel consumption).

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Arumba's server is up. Capped out at 400 players. Seems stable.

Edit: aaaand i got dropped, and its passworded now :(

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 21, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think today's was for subscribers and patrons only

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Azhais posted:

I think today's was for subscribers and patrons only

Not gonna pay $4.99 to subscribe to a Twitch channel which only interests me because the guy plays Factorio... Bit of a shame he's passworded it for subscribers only, ah well.

If anyone has the password, I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Not gonna pay $4.99 to subscribe to a Twitch channel which only interests me because the guy plays Factorio... Bit of a shame he's passworded it for subscribers only, ah well.

If anyone has the password, I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it.

It's kind of sad that 400 people (minimum) will pay to watch someone else play a game they own. Mind boggling.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ratzap posted:

It's kind of sad that 400 people (minimum) will pay to watch someone else play a game they own. Mind boggling.

Wait till you learn how much people pay for other forms of entertainment.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Nothing wrong with paying a Twitch streamer you enjoy watching to support them. It's basically like Patreon. However there are very few streamers I would subscribe to. Arumba isn't the most interesting streamer and he's not very good at handling chat / entertainment. That being said, watching him play Factorio is awesome cause you learn so much.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ratzap posted:

You know if anyone in here could make 2k/month playing factorio we'd do it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

chairface posted:

You know if anyone in here could make 2k/month playing factorio we'd do it.

If only manufacturing worked like Factorio, then I would just make robot arms for ridiculously cheap prices every half second. Billionaire in a few weeks.

There's a challenge run idea- make a million electric inserters in the shortest time possible. I wonder what tech level would be optimal for that

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Really quite sad to see a bunch of new subs who did it only to play on the server get completely ignored by Arumba. He wasn't answering stream chat and barely and subscribers were able to get the password. When they finally got the pass, there was 15 mins of time left before Arumba called it quits for the night and headed off.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Nothing wrong with paying a Twitch streamer you enjoy watching to support them. It's basically like Patreon. However there are very few streamers I would subscribe to. Arumba isn't the most interesting streamer and he's not very good at handling chat / entertainment. That being said, watching him play Factorio is awesome cause you learn so much.

Patreon generally goes to people who create something (of course I'm sure there are people paying to support making wet fart noises or w/e). I know people are dumb and pay for garbage but learn so much? What? You have the game, play it, engage your mind, try things. Youtube videos teach you things, they are specifically recorded to do so. Twitch is mostly some guy talking crap, playing badly and thanking people for putting cash in his jar.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

To each their own, dude. I used to think exactly the same as you, but I've found some Twitch streamers I enjoy watching and - to me at least - it beats watching a tv show when I'm eating my dinner if I can instead sit and watch someone play a game I like. Granted, I've never paid money to anyone, but I can understand why people do.

Youtube is great and all but Twitch makes it so much more interactive. Seeing the streamer laugh when someone makes a donate message that's pretty funny is good, as is seeing comments when poo poo goes down and the streamer does something dumb ingame or can't figure out a simple puzzle.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Patreon generally goes to people who create something (of course I'm sure there are people paying to support making wet fart noises or w/e). I know people are dumb and pay for garbage but learn so much? What? You have the game, play it, engage your mind, try things. Youtube videos teach you things, they are specifically recorded to do so. Twitch is mostly some guy talking crap, playing badly and thanking people for putting cash in his jar.

Thanks grandpa. I'll be sure to tell that to everyone at the gender meeting while we hand out participation trophies.

I don't watch factorio on twitch but it's not hard to see why checking in on a stream while you read or play something or do housework or whatever. Plus you can ask in real-time how you do that cool thing with different types of underground belt.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

^^ and it's pretty chill to play Factorio by yourself (or better yet in the server hosted by the streamer) whilst listening to the streamer do their thing in the background like a podcast. I learnt about cool belt combinator stuff to prioritise one belt over another.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Loopoo posted:

^^ and it's pretty chill to play Factorio by yourself (or better yet in the server hosted by the streamer) whilst listening to the streamer do their thing in the background like a podcast. I learnt about cool belt combinator stuff to prioritise one belt over another.

I did this with the second mass stream and it was cool except for the constant "something's being attacked" alarms that kept going off in the stream game and making me double-check things in my own base.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

In the production tab, what are the different coloured bars beneath items? Is it like when power production is full so the bar is full to show all demands are met? My steel production has 1/4 of the bar full up, and my steel consumption has 1/8 of the bar full. Does that mean I'm producing 1/4 of what I should be producing, and consuming much less than I produce? My metal plate bars are both full.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Loopoo posted:

In the production tab, what are the different coloured bars beneath items? Is it like when power production is full so the bar is full to show all demands are met? My steel production has 1/4 of the bar full up, and my steel consumption has 1/8 of the bar full. Does that mean I'm producing 1/4 of what I should be producing, and consuming much less than I produce? My metal plate bars are both full.

It just shows you how much you're producing relative to the thing you make the most of. Iron Plate or Copper Wire should always be the thing you're making the most of at any given point in time (with the possible exception of Iron Ore).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

The Upgrade Planner seems to have been refactored slightly, and I can no longer use it to only remove trees and rocks without removing anything else. Anyone know of another mod that add a blue print that just removes trees and rocks?

Quoting myself from the past to say I found it:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/NearlyDutch/filtered-deconstruction-planner

Lets your deconstruction planner operate in three modes. Normal, which just removes everything. Target removes only things you've indicated (I've got mine set for trees and rocks), and Exclude, which removes everything except what's indicated. So I can put it in exclude mark and pickup stuff in the woods without also removing all the trees. Maybe a bit of a hassle if you want to keep switching around the items you're targeting, but for now it looks pretty good for me.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Screw efficiency, I like symmetry!

4 more images about oil byproducts with comments: http://imgur.com/gallery/UVsos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
All those unmined ores :negative:

E: That's also a fuckton of logistic bot usage, how many bots do you have hanging about?

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 22, 2016