Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
make the thread title have smeghead in it pls, I'm a tremendous fan of this word

i know the showmakers have said it isn't related to smegma but a boy can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Gatekeeper posted:

i know the showmakers have said it isn't related to smegma but a boy can dream

Hahahah, they knew. THEY KNEW!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Drunken Baker posted:

I still cringe when I think of the one where they end up on Coronation Street. loving hell, what were they thinking?

Craig Charles was on Coronation Street at the time. That's literally the entire joke: "hey, this actor is in two different things!".

True story: a friend of mine was accosted by Craig Charles while she was waiting for someone outside a train station. He yelled at her and called her a bitch when she refused to get in a car and go to his hotel with him.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Remember when he smoked crack in a cab between London and Manchester?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I for reals met my husband on alt.tv.reddwarf. Been together for 15 years now. Have not watched any season beyond 8, because back to earth was that painful.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Quote-Unquote posted:

True story: a friend of mine was accosted by Craig Charles while she was waiting for someone outside a train station. He yelled at her and called her a bitch when she refused to get in a car and go to his hotel with him.

As a young lad from Liverpool Craig Charles was my hero and I was so made up the last person in the entire universe was Scouse... Then there's all this nonsense.

drat it, Craig.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

britishbornandbread posted:

In that situation I'd smoke crack too

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
One time I dropped a lot of acid and watched the first few seasons of Red Dwarf for the first time since childhood. It was then that I realized we are all Dave Lister.

A++ experience, would recommend it to anyone.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Hahaha the yank remake pilot where Lister is this 6'5 chiselled hunk with a six pack. Way to miss the point, smegheads.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Drunken Baker posted:

I still cringe when I think of the one where they end up on Coronation Street. loving hell, what were they thinking?

X was better than 7, 8 and 9... But that's faint praise.

I don't remember this at all.

Which season was the one where rimmer kicks death in the balls?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mulatto Butts posted:

I don't remember this at all.

Which season was the one where rimmer kicks death in the balls?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My uncle bought me a big "Screenplay" book for Season 8 because he knew I loved Red Dwarf and it's kind of sad that season ended up so crap. There was a lot of stuff cut and changed, but throughout the book you can feel the passion behind it but it never quite clicked. I know it was meant to end with Rimmer crashing the Red Dwarf into earth and it skidding for thousands of miles, smashing through famous landmarks like the Taj Mahal and him getting out at the end asking if they wanted to swap insurance details. Also there's a two page lament about how much people hated the Blue Midget dance scene because of how much effort they put into it. lol. Effort doesn't equate quality, dudes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What season was the roller coaster ride that had the midget Rimmers all singing? That was really good.
I remember downloading a video clip of that song off Kazaa or wherever way back when.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I used to rock a red dwarf bomber jacket when I was like 14 years old because I was just that cool, I remember it cost £55 or for £90 you could get the same jacket with leather sleeves but I just couldn't save up that much.

I also met Chris Barrie and the lady that played Kochanski at a convention they were both lovely, the show likes to make fun of my hometown (Eastbourne) which I appreciate.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
And my axe!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

What's worse, being a smeghead or a crackhead?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
It's a space/sci-fi series with no aliens. That's a genius move.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

Doesn't matter, they a bunch of fat grandads now, I mean how does an android get get fat? Except Danny John Jules - he still looked pretty good in the last lot of publicity shots.

he's on "Murder in Paradise" and is still fit

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Hot take - I love red dwarf but holy poo poo I've never liked the Cat character ever.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I've seen all of the episodes, but can't remember when holly changed to a woman. What was the story behind that?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hot take - I love red dwarf but holy poo poo I've never liked the Cat character ever.

just think of him as a gay black vampire

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Doug Sisk posted:

I've seen all of the episodes, but can't remember when holly changed to a woman. What was the story behind that?

They went to a gender swapped universe, and Norman Lovett wanted off the show at the same time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Red Dwarf is still good and in the newer series they went back to the original format of them being aboard the Red Dwarf and just coping.

Lister giving himself advice for life is one of the top tier moments of the newer series.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Quote-Unquote posted:

They went to a gender swapped universe, and Norman Lovett wanted off the show at the same time.

rape allegations iirc

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they are still making red dwarf eps?? holy smokes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's kind of weird watching the new ones since they're all old and fat now, apart from Danny John-Jules who still looks great ofc.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Bought the first audio book. It's really good so far. Had no idea the guy who played Rimmer was so good at impressions.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I dunno op, I dunno.

Pertaining to that other topic, red dwarf is the absolute worst sci fi show of all time. It's even worse than lexx, as hard as that is to believe.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

lexx is pretty funny + hot babes

but its pretty bad tho

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

numberoneposter posted:

they are still making red dwarf eps?? holy smokes.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

It's a space/sci-fi series with no aliens. That's a genius move.

Yeah that was brilliant

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What about the time Lister dated the Asari from Mass Effect?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
It was funny when the robot's dick escaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Quote-Unquote posted:

I heard it wasn't that he wanted off the show, he wanted to be paid as much as the other cast members. Since all his bits were shot with him sitting in front of a black curtain he didn't get paid as much as the guys who had more active roles.

In character Holly met gender swapped Holly and decided he/she liked the idea so changed to that one. Which worked fine, since Holly had used a different avatar once before.

• Locked thread