Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

The odd choice of words for the first word in each statement... Lol this has to be real and I don't believe for a goddamn second it's not the kind of thing slick willy would do

Ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Some staffer is having a Lmao. Because they honestly give 0 fucks about the Hillary puppet

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Zo posted:

Lmao i don't even care about any of this but just lmao at "the GOP threatened to filibuster so it was completely impossible of course no chance whatsoever shouldn't even try, except uhh this thing they filibustered and got passed anyway"

Like lol hardest self own i've seen in a while

Apparently you lack reading comprehension.

They need 60 seats to bypass a filibuster. They did not have 60 seats because Ted Kennedy was at home dying, meaning they only had 59 seats. They managed to get a Democrat to fill out Kennedy's term, at which point they had those 60 seats for just a couple months until the special election. Scott Brown (R) was looking like he was going to win the seat (and he did).

So they had to ram through what was already on the floor in that time, because there wasn't enough time for it to go back through committee and the House, since if it gets re-written on the Senate floor it has to go through the House again.

What was already on the floor was the gutted healthcare bill the GOP said they'd cooperate on but didn't so that's what we got.

The only self own here is you not comprehending basic civics.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
my fellow americans, i assure you that i am not corrupt, or inept, i am in fact so desperate to cement any kind of legacy that I will happily piecemeal an individual mandate bill that really can only get better

i mean, just look at all of our other fantastic, longstanding, undiminished social safety nets. there is simply no way this can go wrong. There's no way that this might ever devolve into a situation where the individual mandate has only increased the bargaining power of the insurers, despite their K street offices.

I assure you, my fellow americans, that the limited access you have to your legislators will actually work to your benefit, because now that you're legally obligated to form a relationship with one of these entities, they have nothing more to gain, and will certainly not gouge its captive marketplace.

Thank you, good night, and god bless america

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
obama wasn't a very good president if he has to fall back on weak excuses like not having a filibuster-proof majority

kind of a dink

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roylicious posted:

Apparently you lack reading comprehension.

They need 60 seats to bypass a filibuster. They did not have 60 seats because Ted Kennedy was at home dying, meaning they only had 59 seats. They managed to get a Democrat to fill out Kennedy's term, at which point they had those 60 seats for just a couple months until the special election. Scott Brown (R) was looking like he was going to win the seat (and he did).

So they had to ram through what was already on the floor in that time, because there wasn't enough time for it to go back through committee and the House, since if it gets re-written on the Senate floor it has to go through the House again.

What was already on the floor was the gutted healthcare bill the GOP said they'd cooperate on but didn't so that's what we got.

The only self own here is you not comprehending basic civics.

Obama didn't try to get public support for meaningful
Healthcare reform and didn't try to pass meaningful healthcare reform. I voted for him too but please find a way to deal with reality.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
obama might not even be born in the united states, according to a HRC staffer i know

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
remember when the dept. of homeland security worked with governors for a nationwide crackdown against the occupy wall street movement

i mean, they obviously weren't offering any revolutionary ideas besides the idea of revolution, but still that crackdown was pretty heinous

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

canpakes posted:

Obama didn't try to get public support for meaningful
Healthcare reform and didn't try to pass meaningful healthcare reform. I voted for him too but please find a way to deal with reality.

I didn't vote for him but please educate yourself on the political process because this thread is full of people who apparently think the executive has way more power than the office actually wields.

He had TONS of public support for healthcare reform. Unfortunately half the country was also screaming 'MUSLIM COMMUNIST' at him. Do you not remember the media repeating "DEATH PANELS" over and over again? He had no way of knowing in 2008-2009 that the GOP would lie and filibuster despite concessions from the Dems before the fact, and he had no way of knowing that pursuing cross-party relations at that point would be fruitless.

He should have realized that afterwards and taken a harder stance on future negotiations but that's a different issue.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
that obstinate douchebag bluster really didnt work out for the republican party. they got a bunch of antivaxxing freemen on the land shoved up their keisters and then trump lmao

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

dookifex_maximus posted:

that obstinate douchebag bluster really didnt work out for the republican party. they got a bunch of antivaxxing freemen on the land shoved up their keisters and then trump lmao

Yeah they let the tea parties in and boy howdy that went wrong quick. I usually vote R but now I dunno; they aren't very representative of solid fiscal policy and hands off social stuff anymore.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Roylicious posted:

I didn't vote for him but please educate yourself on the political process because this thread is full of people who apparently think the executive has way more power than the office actually wields.

He had TONS of public support for healthcare reform. Unfortunately half the country was also screaming 'MUSLIM COMMUNIST' at him. Do you not remember the media repeating "DEATH PANELS" over and over again? He had no way of knowing in 2008-2009 that the GOP would lie and filibuster despite concessions from the Dems before the fact, and he had no way of knowing that pursuing cross-party relations at that point would be fruitless.

He should have realized that afterwards and taken a harder stance on future negotiations but that's a different issue.

there was huge public support for heathcare reform

there wasnt support for milquetoast bullshit scheme that forces people to buy insurance and still leaves millions without coverage

he probably should have been a better president

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roylicious posted:

Lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

reallivedinosaur posted:

he probably should have been a better president

He shoulda used the bully pulpit more.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
This rigged system is poo poo.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Not even loving trying any more

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Insulting.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Quantum Finger posted:

This rigged system is poo poo.

Just set up your options straddles and drink a lot. It's working out alright for me I suppose although there's a lot of hipster california IPAs making their way over here which I don't like.

e: \/\/\/ I'd buy that shirt

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
BORN 2 RULE
YOURE REPUBLIC A poo poo
638,438,134,195 DEAD PROLES
KILL EM ALL 2016

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Roylicious posted:

Just set up your options straddles and drink a lot. It's working out alright for me I suppose although there's a lot of hipster california IPAs making their way over here which I don't like.

e: \/\/\/ I'd buy that shirt

i actually do print shirts, you want a custom dookifex?

guaranteed to be made in my garage with a silkscreen from a dumpster

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Hell yeah.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
lol alright i'll make up a sample

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roylicious posted:

He shoulda used the bully pulpit more.

Or at all

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't understand why young people wanted Obamacare so much when it just redistributed wealth from the young and healthy to the old and sick

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I don't understand why young people wanted Obamacare so much when it just redistributed wealth from the young and healthy to the old and sick

No wealth to redistribute if no one can afford insurance in the first place.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Yah but I'm getting a policy thats like 30% worse for 50$ a month more now

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I love how when you're too poor to afford healthcare, but not poor enough to have medicaid, you can't just opt-out lol gotta give the government money for no reason.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dookifex_maximus posted:

lol alright i'll make up a sample

I'll take 2

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yah but I'm getting a policy thats like 30% worse for 50$ a month more now

Same haha. No don't get me wrong that bill sucks. I just don't think it's 100% on Obama.

a bone to pick posted:

I love how when you're too poor to afford healthcare, but not poor enough to have medicaid, you can't just opt-out lol gotta give the government money for no reason.

If you can't afford medicaid there's still subsidized plans... I have a friend whose premium is $300/mo but he only actually pays like $100 because the gov't subsidizes the rest. Might depend on state since I know not all insurers are everywhere but still there should be something like that.

But aside from that very small slice of the population it pretty much blows for everyone else yeah. And those subsidized plans are often poo poo anyway.

We should have just copied Germany's semi-private system where they have decent single payer public option but if you want extras there's premium private insurance too.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

Lol when I had no job I got free top of the line insurance. Now that I make a sub-subsistence wage I pay out the rear end for garbage insurance.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One cool trick to vaccum wealth out of the working class and redistribute it to insurance executives

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Roylicious posted:

Same haha. No don't get me wrong that bill sucks. I just don't think it's 100% on Obama.

Yah its the huge buttfucking corporate system he's spokesperson for

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
The fact is the Dems were ready to go with a public option until the GOP screamed bloody murder until it was removed. If you want to blame anyone blame the Tea Party for mucking up the best chance we had at reforming healthcare in this country for the next 20-30 years probably.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably the funniest is that it's based on income so Chinese nationals who's parents bought multimillion dollar condos in my city get free top of the line healthcare with zero deductible it co pays because they don't work and don't technically draw an income. Meanwhile I make $13 an hour and have an insurance plan with a multi thousand dollar deductible and $40 co pays thank you Obama.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a bone to pick posted:

No, see, you're supposed to buy one of the "affordable" plans for a couple hundred dollars a month. Never mind that the deductibles on those plans are so high that they are basically useless unless you need a heart transplant or shatter half the bones in your body.

Did you just say "single payer"? Son, you some kind of COMMIE?

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roylicious posted:

The fact is the Dems were ready to go with a public option until the GOP screamed bloody murder until it was removed. If you want to blame anyone blame the Tea Party for mucking up the best chance we had at reforming healthcare in this country for the next 20-30 years probably.

Lmao.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roylicious posted:

You, specifically are what's wrong with America.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

canpakes posted:

You, specifically are what's wrong with America.

You make $13/hr.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roylicious posted:

You make $13/hr.

Ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
What else needs to be said? What are you another college drop out restaurant worker who thinks he knows everything?

• Locked thread