Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This is a real neat mecha kickstarter I'm interested in: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1609568567/code-hardcore-the-coolest-2d-mecha-battle-game/description

Looks really cool, hope it ends up good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Cool I saw a bunch of gifs of that a while ago, it's pretty neat seeing an action game with the sort of sprite work you see in modern SRW games going on.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The only thing I don't like about that game is that it's apparently focused around a CoD style multiplayer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The only thing I don't like about that game is that it's apparently focused around a CoD style multiplayer.

Yeah, I would be up for not-ZoE but I don't really play online competitive stuff so eh

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/zoids_teaser/

Parallax thinks it might be a game, I think it's gonna be a new ova/movie type of project.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's just a model kit. That man is posing in front of a plamo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The masterpiece liger came out already and that's not it, that's a new design.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should do an entire show using only puppets and plamos.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also is like, very obviously a textured render.

fullsize clean, for backgrounds:

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 26, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sharkopath posted:

The masterpiece liger came out already and that's not it, that's a new design.

I was thinking more of a really well painted older kit.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I was thinking more of a really well painted older kit.

I know my Zoids.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should do an entire show using only puppets and plamos.

Thunderbolt Fantasy with giant animal-robots?

I'd dig it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Thunderbolt Fantasy with giant animal-robots?

I'd dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhs8AEjTHr8

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

That reminds me,I'd really like to see a Zoids reboot done in the style of Iron-Blooded Orphans.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thanks for the wallpaper version of that photo. Now to speculate, I really enjoy Zoids so I'm hoping for anything.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Macross FB 7 is mostly a clip show, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Macross FB 7 is mostly a clip show, right?

Yeah, it's almost entirely clip and not really worth watching without being in the mindset of being a Macross fan looking for some nostalgia.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The non-clipshow portions are entertaining enough despite how sparse it is, I'd love to see more of the Frontier cast accidentally starting an anime club.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BU10004&mode=retail

gently caress

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I imagine there will be several people willing to shell out $340 (+ shipping) USD for that.

Thankfully, I am not one of those crazy people.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bad timing for Getter, especially with Soul of Chogokin Voltron and Megazord not that far away and both costing about 300 bucks each...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaurusOxford posted:

Bad timing for Getter, especially with Soul of Chogokin Voltron and Megazord not that far away and both costing about 300 bucks each...

Isn't Getter Robo way more popular than Go Lion or Zyuranger in Japan?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Two new Zoid pics out, still no real announcement.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they at least said there should be details on the project in the next few days

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

These ones actually do look like just the HMM kits, also.

The Molga has some new vents and the Command Wolf is about as close as can be, the only real difference being the feet, canopy, and some small surface details.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe it's not a movie or new models. Maybe they actually made real Zoids.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm thinking it might just be a new battle story getting published. These really remind me of those old battle story action shots.

And they really are just heavily modified models, the original liger teaser threw me off because the head was almost entirely new compared to the HMM, and what you could see of the body had many new surface details.

If it was a game you'd think they'd have renders to use, and a show would have designs streamlined for animation.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The box art looks more like a 3d model than an actual toy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the group that subbed Macross Delta

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
I am watching SPT Layzner and it doesnt really feel like a kids show even though it has the usual stupid children in it. Did they really make the grim as gently caress 80s robot anime mainly for kids or did they have some other target audience in mind when they wanted to make cartoons about the threat of nuclear armageddon?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been slowly watching through Braiger over the past couple months. I'm up to about episode 25; Khamen Khamen was introduced a few episodes ago.

Braiger isn't all that good on the whole, but certain parts of it are fantastic, especially the setting. The governments of Earth are all at various levels of corruption, outer space seems to be primarily run by different corporations, and both are in the pockets of territorial crime syndicates based around the major population centers. J9 exists as this extra-legal authority that'll lend some muscle to help the little people stand up to the various criminals (for a very negotiable fee!), which is cool dynamic.

On top of that, the visual design is absolute lunacy, in the best sense. There are domed cities on the asteroid belt and on the moons of Jupiter, and space truckers drive between them on their space semi trucks. People are as likely to pilot a space fighter-jet as drive ordinary space cars, and (of course) the Braiger can transform into both.

The quality of any particular episode vary heavily. A recent favorite involved the DJ of a pirate radio station being murdered after he used his broadcast to alert space truckers to police checkpoints. While maybe heavy-handed and a little over-dramatic, it did a remarkable job of building sympathy for the dead man and selling the villains as utter bastards. At the end, the space truckers, furious over the murder, surround the corrupt police chief and allow J9 to deal the final blow. It was a drat satisfying pay off.

This was followed almost immediately by an episode about a rock and roll band holding a benefit concert. A bad guy steals the donation money and kidnaps the lead guitarists little sister, but J9 kills the baddy and saves the girl. Altogether astonishingly dull.

I honestly don't know how well I can recommend the show. While a few episodes are really fascinating, the average episode isn't too great. The mecha fights are outright bad, as is most of the action. There isn't any real overarching storyline (although that might be changing with the introduction of Khamen Khamen).

What is does have is a very different and a very interesting setting, and the show is at it's best when it really explores it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 10, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I watched a bit of Braiger a few years back and my main takeaway was that it's a neat show that unfortunately gets kinda hamstrung due to requiring the mech in each episode for merch purposes.

I might watch more someday but there's always so much on the ol backlog

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was definitely down with the vaguely Lupin-ish setup they have going on, though!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Braiger has the best ED out of all the 80s mecha shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhkiRiqI2IE

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really wanna watch Sasuraiger more than other J9 stuff and I can't wait for the fansubs to finish in the year 2069

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GorfZaplen posted:

Braiger has the best ED out of all the 80s mecha shows

That reminds me, I started watching Macross Delta. So far the only part I really like is the ED, and that might be because it feels like a lost 3rd ED from Macross 7

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Macross Delta episode 10 Messer's death would've had more of an emotional impact on me if they'd ever done anything with the character at all other than establishing what a tragic character he is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Instead of watching a bad show I suggest, watching a good one

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Good thing Macross Delta is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's good at being a bad show :grin: