Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PRADA SLUT posted:

Has TMUS announced any iPhone trade-in program like they've done in the past?

Yes. See http://slickdeals.net/f/9087143-t-mobile-iphone-6-s-6-trade-in-promo-get-iphone-7-7-plus-new-or-existing-customers for details and discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Take anything there with a big grain of salt. Tmobile hasn't really given the info on how the trade in is going to work, just that it will.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

My god... is that for real? I have an iPhone 6, so this seems too good to be true.

I realize the possiblity of getting stuck with a phone that can only be used on the T-Mobile network is part of it though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Astro7x posted:

My god... is that for real? I have an iPhone 6, so this seems too good to be true.

I realize the possiblity of getting stuck with a phone that can only be used on the T-Mobile network is part of it though.

Worst case scenario you pay the balance off. It's a 24 month interest free loan.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

It can be used on AT&T as well and hey it would be likely possible to use on Verizon if they were to sunset their CDMA network early (ha, not gonna happen but whatever).

The T-Mobile/AT&T versions simply lack the CDMA radio.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is the CDMA radio a big deal for Europe? I don't recall what was used there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm traveling to Europe in a couple of weeks. Is it possible to add international roaming onto the nerd plan or will that not work as it's prepaid?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the CDMA radio a big deal for Europe? I don't recall what was used there.

GSM. CDMA is mostly an American thing only.

Wtf is up with the Tmobile one plan? After I get a phone it's 100 bucks every month.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

T-Mobile's new plan violates the gently caress out of net neutrality but no one cares because "UNLIMITED DATA!!11 :downs:"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean, I appreciate the unmetered music data personally.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I thought the deal with net neutrality was more isps charging providers for better access. Isn't tmobile free to the provider and basically no barrier of entry?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Net neutrality is about treating every bit the same, regardless of where it's coming from, where it's going, or what data it contains. Saying certain data is "free" violates that principle.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Don Lapre posted:

I thought the deal with net neutrality was more isps charging providers for better access. Isn't tmobile free to the provider and basically no barrier of entry?

At a higher level (or lower level?) the idea behind Net Neutrality is "data is data" and it shouldn't matter what the content/service/server/provider is.

Edit: Curse you, Uthor.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, I appreciate the unmetered music data personally.

As long as it's coming from the music streaming service that's been whitelisted by T-Mobile through some process that they haven't made public.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I realize it technically does not follow net neutrality, but I feel like the limitation is only in place because the network can't handle everyone streaming 1080p video to their phones simultaneously.

It's the same reason why people are okay with data caps on mobile, but when you get into broadband internet and Comcast starts putting on data caps for no reason at all people get pissed.

minusX posted:

As long as it's coming from the music streaming service that's been whitelisted by T-Mobile through some process that they haven't made public.

They've made it public, there was a PDF on how to qualify that I saw soon after Binge On was announced.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I currently have metropcs. Its not great but the service is mostly fine. I've decided to make a switch to the big carriers and the phone I want only can do at&t or t mobile. RN I'm thinking t mobile. Thoughts?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm a supporter of net neutrality but I'm willing to be a big ol' hypocrite for as long as my $30/month plan lets me listen to all the streaming music I want.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I used the website to drop my 10GB / mo plan to 6GB / mo cause I'm barely hitting 3 each month. Hoping my stash doesn't vanish and I didn't gently caress nothing up~

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Astro7x posted:

They've made it public, there was a PDF on how to qualify that I saw soon after Binge On was announced.
Oh, cool. Still an issue cuz data wants to be data not data that has to be coded correctly, and it means everything is being watched and if it's not the right type of data you can get metered and it's weird. It's the gray side of "Well it's not exactly negative to the consumer but..."

Now the binge on requiring money to get off of thing for T-Mobile one is a spit in the face of net neutrality, and the fact you have to pay extra to get out of slower speeds is crap.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

minusX posted:

Now the binge on requiring money to get off of thing for T-Mobile one is a spit in the face of net neutrality, and the fact you have to pay extra to get out of slower speeds is crap.

This exactly. The next logical step is offering a plan that throttles streaming services beyond usability and charges a fee to bypass that throttling.

If you haven't filed an FCC claim against T-Mo over this you may as well be begging for your cell phone bill to get higher while your provider offers you less.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
fun story, I did in fact file an FCC complaint, and T-mobile called me a month later.

The rep basically said "we're not an isp, we don't throttle, and why don't you like unlimited data?"

i tried explaining the basic premise of the complaint and she basically stuck her fingers in her ears and repeated her spiel. I have no idea why they think it's productive to have reps effectively robocall their own customers with the same weak sauce non-defense they're offering to the FCC in the first place. I just said "well it's really not up to either me or you whether you're violating the Open Internet Order, I wrote the letter so the FCC would investigate and make a determination" and ended the call.

Two days later, the complaint was closed. I think i'll open another one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Honestly, complaining to the FCC is pretty pointless since they are well aware of how T-Mobile treats different types of data.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The FCC Chairman also approves of Binge On

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/11/t-mobiles-data-cap-exemption-for-video-gets-fcc-chairmans-approval/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The problem isn't allowing toggling of Binge On, the problem is having a tier of service where you have to pay more to have non-"optimized" traffic.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

The problem isn't allowing toggling of Binge On, the problem is having a tier of service where you have to pay more to have non-"optimized" traffic.

Then just pay the full amount and consider the regular price a discount.

Or just go to a different phone company.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Then just pay the full amount and consider the regular price a discount.

Or just go to a different phone company.

But it's not a discount. Words have meaning. Why don't I just file complaints with the FCC until they start enforcing the law, as is their job?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Plastik posted:

But it's not a discount. Words have meaning. Why don't I just file complaints with the FCC until they start enforcing the law, as is their job?

According to this arstechnica article its not against the rules to do what they are doing and wheeler thinks its innovative and wants to promote innovation

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/11/t-mobiles-data-cap-exemption-for-video-gets-fcc-chairmans-approval/?comments=1

"Its clear in the Open Internet Order that we said we are pro-competition and pro-innovation," Wheeler said today. "Clearly this meets both of those criteria. It's highly innovative and highly competitive."

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Exciting though that may be, the only wiggle room in the wording of the law is whether or not T-Mo is an ISP.

I dunno, they do seem to Provide me with Internet Service an awful lot for an organization that's not an ISP...

What they're doing is federally illegal and the only and I do mean only way to interpret otherwise is to deliberately misinterpret the definition of ISP in clear defiance of the intent of the law. This isn't a discussion, the two sides are "People Who Stand To Profit From Deliberate Misinterpretation Of The Law" and "Literally Everyone Else". You think you're on the first side, because you like Binge On, but when they think this has been going on for long enough that they can change course and start restricting service without benefitting the consumer they will.

Oh wait, the One Plan is here. That's literally happening now. gently caress you if you want to watch HD video. And if you imagine this isn't indicative of things to come then you clearly don't understand how this whole Business thing works.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Plastik posted:

Exciting though that may be, the only wiggle room in the wording of the law is whether or not T-Mo is an ISP.

I dunno, they do seem to Provide me with Internet Service an awful lot for an organization that's not an ISP...

What they're doing is federally illegal and the only and I do mean only way to interpret otherwise is to deliberately misinterpret the definition of ISP in clear defiance of the intent of the law. This isn't a discussion, the two sides are "People Who Stand To Profit From Deliberate Misinterpretation Of The Law" and "Literally Everyone Else". You think you're on the first side, because you like Binge On, but when they think this has been going on for long enough that they can change course and start restricting service without benefitting the consumer they will.

Oh wait, the One Plan is here. That's literally happening now. gently caress you if you want to watch HD video. And if you imagine this isn't indicative of things to come then you clearly don't understand how this whole Business thing works.

I don't think anyone is saying that the phone carriers aren't making policies that violate network neutrality. They clearly are. The issue to me is "well what can you do about it?"

-Filing a complaint isn't a bad idea, that's adding a voice to it.
-Writing a letter to whatever local/national politician is another
-Voting by switching carriers is another. Although TMobile, ATT and Verizon (and probably Sprint) are all taking policies that basically ignore network neutrality, so i'm not sure who you can switch to ethically.

But overall, I just see the debate as being a circle of the same statements over and over again. Any solutions are going to get fixed at the national level by either the FCC or Government, and neither of them inspire me much hope that they'll intervene anytime soon.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
The only solution at this point is some tech company with lots of money to throw around create a new technology that can poo poo on current mobile and cable technology.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

5g speeds should exceed most people's wired internet speeds.

It will hopefully allow companies to just build really hefty pipes to cell towers and handle the point to point connections via cell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
News about the iPhone:

You can only get the trade-in deal if you switch to the One plan. Otherwise you get the normal, lovely trade-in price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Edit guess starting today you do have to but not if you already ordered.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 16, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Don Lapre posted:

Edit guess starting today you do have to but not if you already ordered.

Glad I did it that first night. Do I have to include the charger and stuff when shipping them my 6S?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I didn't last year.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Orders before 9/15 don't have to swap to One for the free iPhone trade deal, newer ones do. This seems kind of obvious considering the size of the discount and add a line prices with limited data plans, glad it existed at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fiancee and I are thinking of switching over from Verizon to Tmobile to get unlimited data. Are there any "catches" on the Tmobile One plan? $120 per month for two lines, unlimited everything, with unlimited travel coverage seems way too good to be true.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Anybody here, please correct me if I'm wrong, it's hard to keep up with Tmobile's fuckery of their plans.

- I think one the catches is that video streams are at best 480p, which I guess is a deal breaker for some.
- If you use up more than 21 gb of data before a month is up, you might get throttled to 3G when networks get congested.
- If you do want HD quality streams or unthrottled speed, you have to pay $25 per line per month (ONE+) on top of your $120 bill.
- Tethering will always be 3G unless possibly if you get the ONE+ connectivity pass.

Tmobile ONE is pretty new so you may want to try to find some feedback from other people on the internet.

e: If you want to HD video stream for just a day or two, there's a pass for that too, but costs $2-$3 a day, you'll have to look into that.

ijii fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 19, 2016

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I am seeing conflicting information on the iPhone 7 trade in deal. Do you have to change your plan to T-Mobile ONE? I really would rather not do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am seeing conflicting information on the iPhone 7 trade in deal. Do you have to change your plan to T-Mobile ONE? I really would rather not do that.

There's a number you could call or a store you could visit to clear that right up.