Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
somewhere in a DHS fusion center right this minute: "Curses! Stallman gave us the slip again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

somewhere in a DHS fusion center right this minute: "Curses! Stallman gave us the slip again!"

i think there is more than enough recent and long-term historical precedent for:

-the us building mass surveillance technology apparatus without transparency, oversight, or debate, which is only getting easier to do over time
-politicians who will abuse such power on scales large and small, even to go after academic-types who don't fall in line with a regime's perceived interests/goals

...for one to be sympathetic to rms concerns and protest through security practice. he goes farther than i would choose to, but what motivates him is not out to mars.

anyway, this is getting off-track. someone at some point mentioned awesome wm, and woah wow was it exactly what ive wanted in a bespoke wm for years and years.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Crusader posted:

anyway, this is getting off-track. someone at some point mentioned awesome wm, and woah wow was it exactly what ive wanted in a bespoke wm for years and years.

I don't think you can really call it a "window manager" if it doesn't actually provide "windows"

more like a "pane manager" really

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

eschaton posted:

I don't think you can really call it a "window manager" if it doesn't actually provide "windows"

more like a "pane manager" really

it does provide floating windows support, but only begrudgingly

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

once you get past customizing a few things, xmonad becomes really cool and good.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i love the idea of these windowless window managers, but the practice always falls way short

the biggest issue is that only perfectly-behaving x11 applications really work. god help you using citrix in an awesome wm environment

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

b0red posted:

once you get past customizing a few things, xmonad becomes really cool and good.

yeah, I dug xmonad a lot - i was just too lazy to do the haskell configuration needed to make floating windows work the way i wanted :(

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Crusader posted:

yeah, I dug xmonad a lot - i was just too lazy to do the haskell configuration needed to make floating windows work the way i wanted :(

yeah it took me like a month of just getting frustrated enough with things and finding someone else's solution/close enough solution to adapt it because gently caress writing haskell. i really need to start backing up my dot files.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

yeah it took me like a month of just getting frustrated enough with things and finding someone else's solution/close enough solution to adapt it because gently caress writing haskell. i really need to start backing up my dot files.

all my dotfiles are in git

really the only downside to doing this is that you have to
a.) care about OS portability
b.) avoid putting passwords in version controlled dotfiles by accident

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
your git repo containing your homedir, including passwords, isn't encrypted with a 69 character passphrase?

serious posting though definitely keep your configs in a git repo. I had to redo dumb desktop settings too many times to count because I was a dumb

these days I think just throwing .config into git and forgetting about it should work? all the files/passwords/dumb poo poo should go into .local right?
also, I just keep all my passwords and my ssh keys in keepass now, keepass even has a ssh agent thing and it owns

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Truga posted:

your git repo containing your homedir, including passwords, isn't encrypted with a 69 character passphrase?

serious posting though definitely keep your configs in a git repo. I had to redo dumb desktop settings too many times to count because I was a dumb

these days I think just throwing .config into git and forgetting about it should work? all the files/passwords/dumb poo poo should go into .local right?
also, I just keep all my passwords and my ssh keys in keepass now, keepass even has a ssh agent thing and it owns

i wouldn't try to share .config between systems

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

don't underestimate the FSF's impact on open systems

i know, you weren't born yet, but try to imagine a time when the buzzword wasn't "open source," because we hadn't gotten that far

Apple and Adobe penned the PostScript standard and released the first PostScript printer before RMS released the GPLv1.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use gnome but only despite its annoyances rather than out of any enjoyment of it

much like computers in general

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

My computer is a joy to use because I use the best Linux, gnu/windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

Apple and Adobe penned the PostScript standard and released the first PostScript printer before RMS released the GPLv1.

from humble origins

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

god forbid a man stand up for basic human rights in a way you find "self-centered" lol

"I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Toady posted:

"I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children."

yep that's a sperg thing to say alright

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Loonix question:

I just installed powerline for my shell, but I can't find a chart that states what each symbol in the shell status actually means.
Some of them are self-explanatory, like the giant red X, but for example my git folder has a giant circle next to the branch name.
Does anyone know of a chart that explains these symbols?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think there's like a billion powerline shell extensions, so which one?

https://github.com/banga/powerline-shell this has a few symbols but no giant circle

sometimes there's a special font you need or you can't use some really limited font like fixedsys

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

hifi posted:

i think there's like a billion powerline shell extensions, so which one?

https://github.com/banga/powerline-shell this has a few symbols but no giant circle

sometimes there's a special font you need or you can't use some really limited font like fixedsys

Ah okay, then it's this one: https://github.com/simnalamburt/shellder .
It's using the DejaVu Sans Mono patched font on urxvt, and looks exactly like the line in that image.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
powerline is gaudy as gently caress

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mekkanare posted:

Ah okay, then it's this one: https://github.com/simnalamburt/shellder .
It's using the DejaVu Sans Mono patched font on urxvt, and looks exactly like the line in that image.

https://github.com/simnalamburt/shellder/blob/master/shellder.zsh-theme#L98

unstaged changes in the repo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

do you sleep in a jar

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
even i don't give enough of a poo poo about linux to install custom riced out fonts for that

might give the fish shell a try though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

even i don't give enough of a poo poo about linux to install custom riced out fonts for that

might give the fish shell a try though.

it's consolas

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
does it work on a VT52?

how about a BLIT?

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 21, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

how about a BLIT?

i would not allow a BLIT near my eyes or brain

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

i would not allow a BLIT near my eyes or brain

why not? they're v pretty in person, that lustrous green glow...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:rip: linux on the lenovo laptop

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Truga posted:

:rip: linux on the lenovo laptop

So basically Microsoft is getting scared of Linux (again), and makes sweet deals with hardware manufacturers?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
and gets hit by some weird euro anti-monopoly law again in 10 years, probably

though I'm not sure if this is actually microsoft or just lenovo being incompetent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mike12345 posted:

So basically Microsoft is getting scared of Linux (again), and makes sweet deals with hardware manufacturers?
2017 year of the linux confirmedly on the desktop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the likelyhood of microsoft being scared of people buying a windows laptop and installing linux on it ityool 2016 seems pretty drat low

that is despite the plausibility of microsoft scheming to have one hardware manufacturer use a raid controller which linux does not have a driver for to finally eliminate the mounting threat of linux on the desktop

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

what computer is that? Is all of lenovo doing that now?

nm googled it

bssoil fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 21, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

2017 year of the linux confirmedly on the desktop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2016 is already the year of linux on the desktop thanks to gnu/windows

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the likelyhood of microsoft being scared of people buying a windows laptop and installing linux on it ityool 2016 seems pretty drat low

that is despite the plausibility of microsoft scheming to have one hardware manufacturer use a raid controller which linux does not have a driver for to finally eliminate the mounting threat of linux on the desktop

the problem in fact seems to be mounting linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mike12345 posted:

no, the signature edition is the ones they sell at the Microsoft store that have images and stuff configured by Microsoft. some dork probably thought he would be all clever installing linux on the Microsoft signature edition laptop but for once microsoft's marketing department did something right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a legacy ahci mode is disabled on a recent levovo sku that is only sold with windows 10

which is more likely:
  • lenovo and microsoft perpetrated a nefarious conspiracy to exclude windows 7, windows 8, or linux from being installed on the laptop

• lenovo qa found some lovely firmware bugs in ahci mode, and poo poo out a broken unit that would still manage to boot windows 10 if you slipstreamed a special driver into the install medium

hanlon's razor