Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
My waifu is Juche-chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The scoop on who was recording history before humans, next week on TECH I N S I D E R

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I am completely failing to get over their use of "wing span". :psyduck: I didn't even notice the actual glaring dumb issue at first.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Wingspan is a commonly used term in sports, especially basketball.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Rodina's a far-right Russian political party. I assume Alanya is similar.

Alunya is apparently the mascot of /leftypol/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
'Recorded History'?

By whom? Trilobites with a pen and paper?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Recorded by the Xetas, of course. Wake up, sheeple!

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Uhm, HELLO. God perhaps? Or do you dispute that he can write? May I remind you about a little book he wrote CALLED THE BIBLE?!?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Recorded by the Xetas, of course. Wake up, sheeple!

For some reason the thing that most upsets me in this is the double pluralization of "Knights Templars".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

catfry posted:

Uhm, HELLO. God perhaps? Or do you dispute that he can write? May I remind you about a little book he wrote CALLED THE BIBLE?!?

Didn't Mathew, Mark, Luke, John etc write the bible? SO at best he dictated it. God is illiterate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Outrail posted:

Didn't Mathew, Mark, Luke, John etc write the bible? SO at best he dictated it. God is illiterate.

He wrote the ten commandments directly onto Moses' tablets but the language used was pretty basic. He can write but he's no Hemingway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

What about that time he wrote the Book of Mormon? Checkmate, illiteralists.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He wrote the ten commandments directly onto Moses' tablets but the language used was pretty basic. He can write but he's no Hemingway.

Moses was up there a long time. Long enough to chisel some words into a stone slab. What I'm saying is that god dictated the commandments to Moses who wrote them down. This is why there's only ten of them.

"ARE YOU GETTING ALL OF THIS DOWN?"
"Yeah yeah, number eleven, Though shalt eat a balanced diet"
"ARE YOU SURE? YOU DIDN'T WRITE MUCH THAT TIME"
"Yeah look, it's right here, see? You can read can't you?"
"UH, YES OF COURSE I CAN, I SEE IT."

Outrail has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Sep 21, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Moses conveniently broke the copy that God is alleged to have written himself. :tinfoil:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Here's what actually happened:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Turns out we were all literally birds.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Outrail posted:

That's the new testament, the old one is much older than those 4. It also contains a book full of erotic poems, which must have been an awkward dictation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

That's the new testament, the old one is much older than those 4. It also contains a book full of erotic poems, which must have been an awkward dictation.

Fun fact: that book, Song of Solomon, is the source of the term “ivory towers”—and yes, you can guess at what it was used for there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Elephant penises?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This definitely isn't the worst offender, but it also definitely belongs here:

Source

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Mr.Radar posted:

This definitely isn't the worst offender, but it also definitely belongs here:

Source

Ah yes HCMPGHP, the well know OBPS of the car world

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
At least it wasn't liters/gallons per 100km, the most pointless of fuel consumption measurements.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Outrail posted:

At least it wasn't liters/gallons per 100km, the most pointless of fuel consumption measurements.
That's a perfectly fine metric.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Arguably considerably more useful than miles per gallon.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
You have to be kidding.

I get x km per litre. I have a 30 litre tank. Therefore I can go 30x km before I need fuel.
Or
How far is it to a place? It's 270 km. If I get x km per liter than I need 270/x litres to get there.

Using y liters per 100km just means additional equations that are less intuitive. Fuel is sold in liters, which is standard. Why use anything else as the constant variable?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Outrail posted:

You have to be kidding.

I get x km per litre. I have a 30 litre tank. Therefore I can go 30x km before I need fuel.
Or
How far is it to a place? It's 270 km. If I get x km per liter than I need 270/x litres to get there.

Using y liters per 100km just means additional equations that are less intuitive. Fuel is sold in liters, which is standard. Why use anything else as the constant variable?

Actually, E10 gasoline is sold by the gallon, and furthermore,

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Fuel∕distance is more intuitive when comparing vehicles.

Outrail posted:

You have to be kidding.

Or

All it does is swap which question is solved with division and which is solved with multiplication:

I require x litres per 100 km. I have a 30‐litre tank. Therefore, I can go 30 ÷ x ∙ 100 kilometres

How far is it to a place? It’s 270 km. If I require x litres per 100 km, I need 270∕100 ∙ x litres to get there.

There’s an extra constant in there, but it’s a power of ten. :lol: if you can’t shift a decimal point to places to the left.

The old set of equations is only more intuitive in that you are already acquainted with it. By similar logic, U.S. customary units are more intuitive than SI, for most goons.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Sep 25, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Let me just say that I live in a country where liters per 100 km is commonly used, and I don't get them. Those numbers are meaningless to me.

I literally need to grab a chart of values for different vehicles and find if a number falls in the top, middle, or lower part to get an idea if a car uses a lot of fuel or not.

I don't know if km/liter would be more intuitive though, I never had to deal with those values.

E: A good argument which I hadn't considered yet.

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 10:38 on Sep 25, 2016

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Let me just say that I live in a country where liters per 100 km is commonly used, and I don't get them. Those numbers are meaningless to me.

I literally need to grab a chart of values for different vehicles and find if a number falls in the top, middle, or lower part to get an idea if a car uses a lot of fuel or not.

Do you also need a similar chart to understand how hot it is going to be when you read the high temperature forecast?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

this is the most moronic discussion I've seen in a while, good job.

how hard is it to understand what it means when a car will consume 8 liters of fuel to travel 100 kilometers?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think he meant that he can't tell if 8 l/100km is a lot, or a little without a comparison chart. Which is a reader trying to blame his lack of knowledge (albeit understandable) on the indicator.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Come on, the range you need to know if you don't care about cars is what, 3 - 12l/100km? That's a thing you can't remember after checking it once?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I think he meant that he can't tell if 8 l/100km is a lot, or a little without a comparison chart. Which is a reader trying to blame his lack of knowledge (albeit understandable) on the indicator.
Thing is he couldn't tell if 10 kilometres per liter is a lot either.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if km/liter would be more intuitive though, I never had to deal with those values.

E:

A good argument which I hadn't considered yet.

LOL I haven't lived in Europe for 20 years now and those numbers still make sense. Which part is it that doesn't make sense?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I could see some use cases where l/100km is a bit less intuitive than MPG/MPL but comparing different cars is definitely not one of them. In fact, it's a much better way to compare cars because you can exactly see how much more or less fuel a car uses. E.g, 10l/100km car will use 2 fewer liters than 12l/100km, exactly the same as going from 7 to 5l/100km, which is far less obvious with the inverse nature of MPG.

And the scale itself is extremely simple too: <5 is good, ~7 is ok, >10 is bad, at least as far as a regular joe motorist is concerned, though it would vary with fuel type and vehicle class.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
When I'm shopping for cars, fuel per unit distance might be helpful. When my low fuel light dings on a dark rural road and now I'm trying to find a gas station and looking at my gas gauge every few minutes, I need to know how many miles per unit fuel my car can do. When frantically googling fuel stations, I need to know my car can do 20 miles with that last gallon, not that my car requires 5 gallons to travel 100 miles.

Oh, and I know all of your fancy new cars have gauges that tell you how many miles you have left, but none of my cars do any math for me.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
All fuel metrics except mpkwh are relics, join the 21st century people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Shillary posted:

All fuel metrics except mpkwh are relics, join the 21st century people.

Heretic!

Joules per metre or :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Heretic!

Joules per metre or :getout:

Sorry, but here in the greatest country on earth we do things a little differently :smug: :patriot:

You are right of course, but my car has no way to enable that measurement.