Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

orange-white, orange. green-n-white, blue. blue-n-white, green. brownin-white, brown.

These words have rolled through my head probably 20 thousand times.

orange-stripe, orange, green-stripe, blue, blue-stripe, green, brown-stripe, brown, *clip* *crimp* I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the routine. I could probably do it in my sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Are you sure you haven't been? :tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the BlackBerry shutdown a region-specific thing? I'm struggling to find anything about it.
If by region, you mean the region of earth, then yes.
http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000038179

PremiumSupport posted:

orange-stripe, orange, green-stripe, blue, blue-stripe, green, brown-stripe, brown, *clip* *crimp* I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the routine. I could probably do it in my sleep.

My co-worker came in at 8am and found me muttering these words to myself alone in a closet buried in cat5e as I'm frantically plugging in cables to the the 15 high stack of 48 port switches.
I had run 200 new drops up to 500 feet overnight and was frantically trying to finish plugging in all of the custom length cat5e cables that I had made.
THEY TOLD ME THAT NOBODY WAS COMING IN ON SUNDAY. WHAT THE gently caress?!?!?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah the lovely Office 365 thing that worked 50% of the time anyway and nobody at Microsoft or BlackBerry thought it was their responsibility to support. Good loving riddance.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
anyone got a link to the Out of IT parody video that guy made?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Somewhat related, but it's like when someone refers to one cheek of your rear end as 'buttocks'. It's buttock.

:colbert:

At least that's tangentially related; premise and premises have completely different meanings and it's grating that people can't comprehend the distinction.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

anyone got a link to the Out of IT parody video that guy made?

The video is currently private.

I've kindly asked Colorfinger to fix the problem.

Migishu fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 21, 2016

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Eschatos posted:

A ticket came in: The owner of the company conferenced me in with a friend of his who said he plugged in the wrong power supply to a hard drive enclosure, and that after trying to power it on, the drive won't spin up even with the right power supply. I'm going to recommend trying a different enclosure in case that got fried, but assuming the drive itself was damaged, do yall have any recommendations for consumer-level Mac hard drive data recovery? As someone who backs up everything I don't want to lose, I have zero experience with this sort of thing.

I've used drivesavers for years, they're fast, very good and you can typically expect to pay something on the order of $1,000-3,000.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

o/w o g/w bl bl/w g br/w br

RIP commercial installations that I was on

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Migishu posted:

The video is currently private.

I've kindly asked Colorfinger to fix the problem.

There was another that was made after colorfinger's stream by a guy on YouTube. I don't remember anything except his name had the word "moon" in it and it had my avatar running across the screen at one point.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was Colorfinger as well. That's the video I was talking about.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

The silliest thing about all this is that there is actual material science involved in making wires, cables, etc. Different strand materials, insulation materials, etc. are all chosen to give it different properties. I mean, you've got shielded cables, sturdier cables, oxidation-resistant cables, etc.

Like, these things matter. It's why you have Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, etc. It's why running your unshielded audio line over your power strip is stupid.

But no, instead of science, "We don't know why it's better but it is! Give us 5 thousand dollars for this magic cable."

I mean, as someone who actually studied material science, this is just hilarious to me. I'm not in the cable industry but I'm pretty sure that after copper cable is drawn, it is annealed, which definitely makes the bulk material isotropic (non-directional, vs. anisotropic, where the property is different depending on which direction you're measuring). "Non-linearities", what even is that. AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understand basic material science but somehow they have the solution down pat.

I know I'm stating the obvious/preaching to the choir when I say that cable companies (amongst others) are so full of poo poo and prey on stupid to make their money, but man, these people are unbelievable.

Welcome to audiophiles.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

totalnewbie posted:

AudioQuest doesn't pretend to fully understand basic material science but somehow they have the solution down pat.

AudioQuest don't just understand, they understawnd. That's how they developed a mechanicm to reduce distoration.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PremiumSupport posted:

I remember doing this when learning, i've never had to do it at an actual workplace. It's gotten to the point where i've offered because I kinda miss it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Migishu posted:

Yeah, that was Colorfinger as well. That's the video I was talking about.

Good man!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Blessings to you.

The last time I used monoprice was last year, after we moved. I literally learned if the whole 'Ethernet through power outlets" thing, was blown away by the technology and fact that I'd never heard of it until then, and immediately bought a pair of connectors/receivers/whatever they're called.

Still working flawlessly. :toot:

Product link? I think my USB wireless adapter for my desktop is going up the spout (I'm typically getting <10 mbps down on my desktop compared to 40-60 mbps on my laptop) and while we do own as of a couple months ago, it would be a tremendous pain in the rear end to properly wire.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ManiacClown posted:

Product link? I think my USB wireless adapter for my desktop is going up the spout (I'm typically getting <10 mbps down on my desktop compared to 40-60 mbps on my laptop) and while we do own as of a couple months ago, it would be a tremendous pain in the rear end to properly wire.

You could also buy a cheap wireless router and use that to bridge the wireless network to your desktop via ethernet cable.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in:
Blackberry finally shut off their cloud services today. So all those people who didn't follow the instructions we sent out to enable IMAP emails can't send us tickets telling us that their email doesn't work. :D

Let's not kid ourselves here. No one followed the instructions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Let's not kid ourselves here. No one followed the instructions.

I can tell you exactly why; "It's defective, I NEED THIS REPLACED with a brand-new iPhone! :byodood:"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjpJtL5D-k&hd=1

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I NEED THIS REPLACED with a brand-new iPhone! :byodood:

Don't joke about this. We've got users up-in-arms that:

a.) They're not getting the iPhone 7, and
b.) There's not much functionally different from their current iPhone 6 for them to gloat over.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wait until the users that do have iphone 7's lose their special headphones and they expect the company to fork over the money for a replacement pair.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Yessss, y'all are the best.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ManiacClown posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/12286?maincategoryid=105&categoryid=10521&subcategoryid=1052102&cpncd=

Sorry for the mobile link. Also, I bought the 200mbps pair, and they work fine. I'm not doing a ton of data transfer, and my actual Internet tops out at 10-15 mbps (soon to be 25 :toot:)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ManiacClown posted:

Just look for powerline adapters, there's a bunch of different ones, wired, wireless, some do passthrough some don't etc etc. Whatever you buy will cost <$50 for the pair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Don't joke about this. We've got users up-in-arms that:

a.) They're not getting the iPhone 7, and
b.) There's not much functionally different from their current iPhone 6 for them to gloat over.

Joke nothing, I saw this happen a couple times a week at my old job with Blackberries suffering mysterious accidents long before their contracts were up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

how the gently caress did i miss this?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Kensei add the video to the OP, tia

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

larchesdanrew posted:

Yessss, y'all are the best.

That was loving magic.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GreenNight posted:

Wait until the users that do have iphone 7's lose their special headphones and they expect the company to fork over the money for a replacement pair.

They're not special headphones, they're the normal earpod ones with a 3.5mm headphone jack. :iiam:

there is a 3.5mm to lightning adapter though :ssh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ah okay.

I'm curious on those new cases that add the headphone jack back.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ugh.... "courage". That is the biggest load of bullshit ever, and I say this as a total Logic Pro (and therefore somewhat of a mac/os x) fanboy.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GreenNight posted:

Ah okay.

I'm curious on those new cases that add the headphone jack back.

They're just like the Mophie cases. They have a 3.5mm jack that is wired into the lightning port.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can tell you exactly why; "It's defective, I NEED THIS REPLACED with a brand-new iPhone! :byodood:"
The only people who still use Blackberry are a) die hard fans who wouldn't switch to iPhone if their life depended on it and b) people who are stuck with it because the company mandates Blackberry.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

The only people who still use Blackberry are a) die hard fans who wouldn't switch to iPhone if their life depended on it and b) people who are stuck with it because the company mandates Blackberry.

I can attest to this. Work colleagues Blackberry broke. He loved it so much he bought the same model.

This was 2 months ago.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I threw a loving party when I was able to delete our BES virtual machine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How has that been around since May and we're only just now seeing it

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Data Graham posted:

IDK, it's been posted before. It's been in my YT favorites list since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Data Graham posted:

I'm asking the same thing. Holy poo poo.

Now that's computer. as. gently caress. :drat:

• Locked thread