Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Rondette posted:

Hey gang, I can't remember if this has been posted before, but there is a documentary featuring our favourite Canadian lady on Youtube...

God, she was such an idiot.

Edit: uh, rip and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

So, thread, what about the new neighborhood?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I can’t decide if “Trango Towers” sounds badass, or like a some lame public housing development.

They look incredibly badass, though:

I just meant that Eiger means ogre in german.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

So, thread, what about the new neighborhood?

It was inevitable, I was just waiting for it to show up here.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
Gas

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Picnic Princess posted:

It was inevitable, I was just waiting for it to show up here.

Nice place you have here, PP. :) I thought PYF would also work but this is a good place for it. Posters in QCS were complaining that this thread was the height of meanness, when mocking the most insane egoism was only ever 25% of the contents. GBS died for our sins.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

If this is the meanest thread these folks have seen on Something Awful, they probably haven't been lurking enough.

I almost feel obliged to take part in this thread, what with coming within inches of my life on a mountain. I know first hand how much these peaks want to murder us, I think I offer a unique insider's perspective.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, this thread did got moved! :) I have never ever ventured into RSF so I might have to have a look around. Thanks to whoever resurrected it. :cheers:

Picnic Princess posted:

If this is the meanest thread these folks have seen on Something Awful, they probably haven't been lurking enough.

I almost feel obliged to take part in this thread, what with coming within inches of my life on a mountain. I know first hand how much these peaks want to murder us, I think I offer a unique insider's perspective.

:justpost:

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Rondette posted:

Oh cool, this thread did got moved! :) I have never ever ventured into RSF so I might have to have a look around. Thanks to whoever resurrected it. :cheers:
Same. I actually didn't even know this forum existed. Is there a fishing thread?!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This is copy/pasted from the thread last year, it's not a "I got swept up in an avalanche and broke literally every bone and crawled 50 miles using only my teeth" level intense, but it was still incredibly close and I'm lucky to be alive.

I was on my way down from a fairly easy peak called East End of Rundle in the Canadian Rockies, and there was a thunderstorm approaching when I was still above treeline. I was trying to get back into the trees quickly at least before it hit because lightning is a major concern out in the open. There was a section of trail that traversed a cliff band that wasn't difficult at all, it was straight and flat, but it was a cliff band. Steep drop off on the left. There was a great view of a lake valley ahead of me and I was paying more attention to it than my feet. I was with my husband, who was walking ahead of me telling me a story about work. Just as he turned around to make some hand gestures, I strayed enough off the path that my foot stepped on the edge of the path and it crumbled away. I pretty much fell headfirst over the side of the cliff. I remember just saying fairly calmly "oh my god" and then a bunch of blurry moments as I tumbled head over heels down a rocky face. It was only 15 feet, but it felt a lot farther and longer than that.

When I stopped on a small ledge, I had lost my glasses, I was on my belly with my backpack pulled up over my head, and underneath a few big rocks. I still had my hiking poles strapped to my hands, which actually made things worse as I couldn't grab for anything to stop my fall. I was actually pretty calm. I heard my husband saying he was coming down to help me, and I gave instructions on what to do to help me sort myself out. "Take the poles off, move this rock pinning my shoulder and head, take off my pack, help me sit against the rocks over there."I asked if my glasses broke, but he had found them, and they were in tact aside from a couple scratches and chips. When I put them on and sat facing out over the valley, I saw where I was and loving froze. I was on a small ledge overlooking a 500 foot drop, and my feet had been hanging out over it. There was 100% no way I would have survived if I had gone over. I would have splattered.

I was pretty injured, but nothing broken. I had a huge gash in my head that soaked half my hair, half my face, and a bunch of my shirt in blood, and nearly every inch of me was scraped and/or bruised and/or cut. My right knee couldn't bend at all. My husband tried to get me to stand up to attempt to walk the rest of the way down but between the injuries and fear, I didn't feel like I could do it at all. There were a few places below where I would have to downclimb exposed rock faces. It would have been immensely dangerous, so we called for a rescue. A helicopter showed up to scope out the situation, and they decided that a heli-sling was the only safe option. The lowered a two-man team down, fitted me with a neckbrace, and strapped me onto a spineboard. Hooked me up to a cable hanging underneath the helicopter, and flew me to a nearby waiting ambulance. I was lowered onto a stretcher, and put into the back of the vehicle with a group of 4 guys. They tried for 20 minutes to get an IV in, but I was in shock and my veins were all shriveled up. Took all 4 on both arms to finally get it. They had gone back to get my husband, and he was waiting the whole time freaking out that something was seriously wrong in our car, which was at the same place as the ambulance was parked. When they finally managed to get the IV in, we raced into the closest town to the hospital.

I ended up with 10 stitches in my head, and another three in my leg where a rock had stabbed my shin. Because it's Canada, the entire rescue cost $25.00. There was a short newspaper article written about me, with one of the rescuers saying that "one more bounce and the fall would have been fatal."

When I was sitting on the ledge, I vowed to never summit another peak ever again. The next day, I figured that I probably would again, just not this year. A few days after that, I couldn't wait to start going again. It took 4 weeks to recover and feel normal again. 5 weeks after my fall, I was back on a summit. I just really love it, I couldn't stop. I ended up with a few big scars on my legs, my left knuckles that had been completely skinned off, and the one on my head which is like 2 or 3 inches long. One of these days I should shave my head just so I can see that bastard. It's raised up pretty far too.

HairyManling posted:

Same. I actually didn't even know this forum existed. Is there a fishing thread?!

Hell yeah, it's called "Post a Fish!" and is currently our most popular thread.

for fucks sake dan
Nov 30, 2015
Oh geez :( I'm really glad you're okay, PP, and that it hasn't stopped you from doing what you love!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

HairyManling posted:

While you're on a "discovering forums" kick, take note that "DIY & Hobbies" exists. It was recently moved promoted from a subforum of Creative Convention in "The Finer Arts" section to it's own forum in Discussion.

Rotating Sub-Forum: Hiking is a fine place for this years Everest thread to finish.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Glad the thread was saved. Gonna post so many pictures in here once I've done the Annapurna Circuit.

If anyone is interested in more mountaineering books to read, I just finished The White Spider. It's a history of climbs of the north face of the Eiger written by one of the guys who was on the first successful ascent. It's pretty interesting to read about the progression of it all. It's no Everest but gently caress me does it look like a crazy climb. Lots of freezing to death, falling to your death, falling rocks bludgeoning you to death and other things, all within viewing distance of quaint little Swiss villages.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Any planned winter accents on either Everest or one of the other 8k peaks?

Think two of them still haven't been ascended in winter.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Not really winter, but there is a couple of Americans headed for Cho-Oyu right now, which is the 6th highest mountain at 8200m. You can follow them on Snapchat! It's the same account as has been posted before: EverestNoFilter. They're actually pretty cool and their exploits are impressive. They show a lot of their training too and they often trail run a lot of California summits.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
For what it's worth, colder air is denser so more oxygen rich. Maybe that can be used to coax some brave fool into the eternal grasp of Chomalunga or whatever the hell.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Got almost all of my gear sorted, but the weight limited is a bit of a hassle. Just 15kg for 22 days of trekking. Three weeks to go.

http://imgur.com/a/bPlI0

Not pictured: Camera, chocolate, salami sticks, walking sticks

elwood fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 25, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
15kg is pretty good imo. Plus food and water....

How much of that is cotton?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Outrail posted:

15kg is pretty good imo. Plus food and water....

How much of that is cotton?

During the day? None. All Merino.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

elwood posted:

During the day? None. All Merino.

You done good, kid

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Picnic Princess posted:

You done good, kid

Well actually, bamboo fibres......

Ozymandiaz1260
May 7, 2008

High Lord Elbow posted:

For what it's worth, colder air is denser so more oxygen rich. Maybe that can be used to coax some brave fool into the eternal grasp of Chomalunga or whatever the hell.

I would assume that makes it even worse at high elevations. There's more oxygen down low on the ground because the air molecules are closer together, but not high up because some of the oxygen that would normally be up there is compacted down. I don't know that for sure, but it seems like a safe assumption. If there's more air in one place, that means there's less air somewhere else.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Passing of a mountaineering legend

http://www.wyofile.com/last-hours-legendary-wyoming-alpinist/

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/skier-dies-in-avalanche-on-mount-victoria-near-lake-louise

This guy was very well known to a lot of people here, in fact he was friends with one of my friends from school. Before he was identified, I was honestly worried it WAS my friend and I was scouring Facebook and Instagram for any indication that my friend was okay.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ozymandiaz1260 posted:

I would assume that makes it even worse at high elevations. There's more oxygen down low on the ground because the air molecules are closer together, but not high up because some of the oxygen that would normally be up there is compacted down. I don't know that for sure, but it seems like a safe assumption. If there's more air in one place, that means there's less air somewhere else.

Sort of? Lower pressure up high means less air and less oxygen per breath. The way you explained it is a little weird though.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ozymandiaz1260 posted:

this is correct because the atmosphere literally stops six feet above the peak of everest and during winter actually dips below it. anyone who summits between november 7 and february 19 is technically an astronaut

e: added 2016/17 dates from the old sherpas almanac

mod saas fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 30, 2016

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
I once hiked from my house at about 200 feet, to a 935-foot hill a few miles away, then back. I got a few blisters but it was a nice, relaxing way to spend a day off. Well, that's my mountaineering story.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I once hiked from my house at about 200 feet, to a 935-foot hill a few miles away, then back. I got a few blisters but it was a nice, relaxing way to spend a day off. Well, that's my mountaineering story.

Typical, taking all the glory and not even acknowledging your Sherpas.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

OMGVBFLOL posted:

How many of your friends did you forsake on that mountain just to bag another peak?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Time Cowboy posted:

Typical, taking all the glory and not even acknowledging your Sherpas.

Did you poop on the mountain? Asking for a friend.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i went to a mountain top that had hella lady bugs in the snow. I guess that's the death zone for lady bugs here

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

http://gripped.com/profiles/canadian-anna-smith-passes-expedition-india/

quote:

Derek Cheng, Anna’s close friend who is familiar with the ongoing situation relayed the following information. Anna and Alison had set up base camp and moved to advanced base camp above 5,000 metres, where Anna reported having headaches and feeling the effects of altitude. They returned to base camp for a couple of days and, when feeling fine again, moved once again to advanced base camp.

“There, Alison had a headache, but Anna was feeling fit and strong,” said Cheng. “Anna made dinner for them both. They only had a small tent, so Anna slept in the tent while Alison made a bivouac outside. In the morning, Anna did not wake up. Cause of death is not yet known. An autopsy will take place in India.”

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

One of my friends knew her too. It's been a lovely year.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Wow, 5000m isn't even that high, relatively speaking. You can drive that high in parts of the Andes and Himalayas.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
That Japanese dude Nobukazu Kuriki who has tried to climb Everest solo and without oxygen every fall for the past six years has tried and failed yet again this year. Kudos to him for not giving up on the dream I guess but he's lost nine of his fingers by now and at some point you got to wonder about it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't he supposed to kill him self with a ninja sword after such failures?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gohuskies posted:

That Japanese dude Nobukazu Kuriki who has tried to climb Everest solo and without oxygen every fall for the past six years has tried and failed yet again this year. Kudos to him for not giving up on the dream I guess but he's lost nine of his fingers by now and at some point you got to wonder about it.

quote:

His previous attempts have been met with drama and injury. He has lost nine fingers on Everest in 2012 during a thwarted attempt on the West Ridge of Everest. In 2015, he reached a bit above the South Col before deep snow forced him to stop.

Climbing alone is his “style” of climbing.

Uh, how does he do anything with one loving finger?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
On Japanese people they regrow.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't he supposed to kill him self with a ninja sword after such failures?
No, he cuts off a finger jeez, its like you're not even paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
If he joins the Yakuza he's hosed.