Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Just bought a Sat ticket for NY. Ween twice in one year?? gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Forecast for Chicago is rain, turning Douglas park into a mud pit.

I will be knee deep in the brown.

I want to hear Nan so bad.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Weather was awesome! The boys killed it on Friday. They played Dancing in the Show tonight, a first for 2016.

Full set list here:

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/ween-plays-four-songs-first-time-reuniting-riot-fest/

My pic from basically front row:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mickey dropped an outtake from The Pod today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m4Zhd4jUdc

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Enos Cabell posted:

Mickey dropped an outtake from The Pod today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m4Zhd4jUdc

Before I even listen to this I want to say that a Pod outtake is a frightening prospect.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There exists a 3-disc set, 2.5 hour compilation of Pod outtakes and it's magnificent.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AteLk0adJP8

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 21, 2016

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
The Pod rules. It's definitely messy but there's a lot of strong stuff on there

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Weirdly enough I love the production on the Pod, even if it was cheaply recorded. The deep bass smashes on "Awesome Sound" and "Molly," the fuzz on "Frank" and "Dr. Rock," the weird-rear end vocal distortions and laughter all over the place, all of it reflects that it's just two incredibly talented young guys loving around and it wouldn't work at all for almost any other band but it works really well for them.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

zh1 posted:

Weirdly enough I love the production on the Pod, even if it was cheaply recorded. The deep bass smashes on "Awesome Sound" and "Molly," the fuzz on "Frank" and "Dr. Rock," the weird-rear end vocal distortions and laughter all over the place, all of it reflects that it's just two incredibly talented young guys loving around and it wouldn't work at all for almost any other band but it works really well for them.

Sure. Maybe I'm not enough of a stoner to really appreciate the Pod, there are certainly tracks from there which I really love hearing live versions of, but it's not exactly easy-listening.
Ween are clever for getting fans to adopt the phrase "brown" because it means they can make total trash and fans will be like "hell yeah." Again, not ragging on the Pod, when I'm in the right mood I think it's brilliant but it's definitely the one I usually have to skip a few tracks to get through.

There is the upside though that whenever I hear a segment of one of those songs that's more familiarly catchy, it gets really stuck in my head.
E: this might be a downside actually, depending on my mood

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

What I love about The Pod is that it has just as much genre fuckery as any later-period Ween album, it just happens to be buried under that gross layer or murk. It was a bit tough to get through when I first started listening to it, but hearing live cuts from the album really show off just how great those songs are. I'd currently lock it in as tied for my #1 spot with The Mollusk as my favorite Ween album.

sout posted:

Ween are clever for getting fans to adopt the phrase "brown" because it means they can make total trash and fans will be like "hell yeah."
Do you consider anything they've done as "total trash," because I'm scratching my head and can't think of anything that would fit into that category? I'm really curious now.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Do you consider anything they've done as "total trash," because I'm scratching my head and can't think of anything that would fit into that category? I'm really curious now.

I could probably get by without hearing mr richard smoker ever again.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
There are no bad Ween songs, just varying levels of obnoxious

sout
Apr 24, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

What I love about The Pod is that it has just as much genre fuckery as any later-period Ween album, it just happens to be buried under that gross layer or murk. It was a bit tough to get through when I first started listening to it, but hearing live cuts from the album really show off just how great those songs are. I'd currently lock it in as tied for my #1 spot with The Mollusk as my favorite Ween album.

As soon as I made that post I started listening to The Pod and I can't pick out anything from it that really sucks (Molly's pretty tiring I guess?), I just mean I feel like Ween could release a track which was just one very long bassy tone with little screams over it for four and a half minutes and people would still probably appreciate it. More of an observation than a direct criticism. I have found the earlier stuff gets better after a few listens, it seems easy to see how someone can come in from the Mollusk or White Pepper and find them challenging, I guess.

e: I have had surprising amounts of success getting people to appreciate Ween. My brother, who usually likes the same music as I do really couldn't get into them, but I did think it was funny that he told me he really hated the country album more than anything because it just sounds too much like actual country (and honestly 12GCG is the one I've listened to least).

sout fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 21, 2016

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

There is a time and a place for the brown sound.

That time is not when I'm cooking dinner with my girlfriend. That is White Pepper or Quebec time.

Me finishing off the last of the :420: and going in for a hit of resin is most definitely 100% certifiably brown.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Beastie posted:

That time is not when I'm cooking dinner with my girlfriend. That is White Pepper or Quebec time.

Me finishing off the last of the :420: and going in for a hit of resin is most definitely 100% certifiably brown.

Way to brag about cooking dinner.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hahah, I was worried the consensus would be La Cucaracha. That album grew on me, but goddamn it took even longer than The Pod did.

Beastie posted:

I'm about to start blasting The Pod at work. The time and place is right now. :getin:

Admittedly, I'm probably the kind of guy sout's talking about initially: I'm always up for it getting too brown.

sout posted:

e: I have had surprising amounts of success getting people to appreciate Ween.
I tend to describe Ween to people as "they've already written your favorite song, you just haven't heard it yet. They've also written a dozen songs that you're going to loving hate, but you'll come around to those, too."

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

sout posted:

As soon as I made that post I started listening to The Pod and I can't pick out anything from it that really sucks (Molly's pretty tiring I guess?),
Molly's one of my absolute favorites. I don't do drugs except alcohol and I love the backing track especially. Listening to it closer I think I like how it seems to be drum beats but there's a really low piano or synth chord on every beat that accentuates it to make the really dirty "bwomp" sound. Then there's a the squeaky rear end vocals about cutting pieces off something for somebody and the song title that really hits home that this is a hilarious yet really startling thing about some really hosed up people selling drugs (I guess?). That's kind of the whole album for me though, it's all very heavy-handed and obvious but they keep on winking enough that it makes me realize that some ancient description i read of ween (they parody music but make music better than what they're parodying) is completely accurate. On the Pod, the lo-fi nature of the album is definitely an asset

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Whoa, did not expect to hear how unpopular The Pod is, it's my favorite album of theirs. I was at the Portland show too and can confirm that they loving absolutely killed it, some of you may have seen me dragging out a big and extremely drunk & high dude who was falling over during roses are free

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Hahah, I was worried the consensus would be La Cucaracha. That album grew on me, but goddamn it took even longer than The Pod did.

I just started digging into this one recently. I love the playing but a number of the tracks, I'm just kind of frowning at the lyrics. There's a fine line between playful and obnoxious.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
La Cucaracha did take awhile to grow on me, there are some songs I still skip over more than most other Ween albums, but it definitely has its highlights. The Pod, and to a lesser extent, Pure Guava, both took me a long time. I got into the band around Chocolate and Cheese and never really visited the earlier albums until after 2000. Initially I really didn't like Pod and Guava, but similar to others, as I hear more recent live versions of those songs it was like "oh wow thats awesome, so that's the song that's hiding under all that fuzzy lovely noise?" So I went back and re-listened to them and found a new appreciation for many of the songs. Although I still prefer the cleaned up live versions of most of them.

I listened to the iTunes snippits of the Deaner album, from what I can tell I think I'll really like it. Sounds quite varied as opposed to getting stuck in a theme or genre which is just what I hoped. I haven't heard anything from it in full besides Mercedes Benz and the live Dickie Betts, but yeah, excited for that!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

My friends kicked their lead singer out of their band a month before our high school Battle of the Bands and they came to me and said "We want you to sing this:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBlI2GPcn70

That was 2003 and I haven't looked back.

We won Battle of the Bands that year.

We played Pork Roll Egg & Cheese the next year and won that too.

That's how I found the Ween.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
The Pod is thus far the only album to remind me of the Hardcore Devo comps

Kinda dig the "everything is running out of batteries" atmosphere though I don't exactly find myself wanting to listen to it a lot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Off the top of my head, the only Ween song I dislike is Tender Situation, which kinda feels like Little Birdy Part 2 and doesn't really do anything interesting. Also I guess L.M.L.Y.P. but that's just at the extreme end of "varying degrees of obnoxious."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I love tender situation

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I like Tender Situation as well. I've never been a huge fan of LMLYP. When Pure Guava came out I was 15 and living in my mom's basement. The basement was a gathering spot for a lot of my friends and I'd frequently play Ween. Girls were frequently over there and I never felt comfortable with that song playing so I always skipped it. Even now it makes me cringe a bit to listen to it by myself.

I also never really cared for Reggae Junkie Jew, but I'm probably in the minority there. I just don't like the sound quality. Something bothers me about it. But the phrase Matzofarian is super clever.

Otherwise I can listen happily to Pure Guava. I even put on Morning Glory from time to time.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 23, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love, Prince, Ween and straight-up juvenilia and think LMLYP is fantastic.

I think the only Ween song I can straight up leave is "Learnin' to Love," though I do love 12 Golden Country Greats.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

caligulamprey posted:

I think the only Ween song I can straight up leave is "Learnin' to Love," though I do love 12 Golden Country Greats.

Learnin' To Love is a goddamn delight

Learnin' To Love run through the Infinite Jukebox is transcendent.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr. Richard Smoker is their only song that I actively dislike. My wife loving hates Piss up a Rope though. 12GCG doesn't get a lot of playing time at our house anymore.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

12GCC is the only Ween album my mom will tolerate but I don't think she's paid close enough attention to Piss Up a Rope or Japanese Cowboy.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

I really don't like:

Cover it With Gas and Set it on Fire
Friends
Shamemaker
Spirit Walker
Boy's Club
Spinal Meningitis (liked it when it came out, skip it these days)
The extra tracks on the God Ween Satan Anniversary Edition

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yeah I'm double posting.

Someone posted this on Reddit today. An unreleased Pure Guava era track called Chinese Woman. It's awesome. NSFW at the end, right after the 1:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajTZKDdTYCI

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

me your dad posted:

I really don't like:

Cover it With Gas and Set it on Fire
Friends
Shamemaker
Spirit Walker
Boy's Club
Spinal Meningitis (liked it when it came out, skip it these days)
The extra tracks on the God Ween Satan Anniversary Edition

Good lord dude all those song are so much fun.

Do you hate fun?

My friends and I wanted to do an acapella Ween cover band called Boys Club.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Beastie posted:

Good lord dude all those song are so much fun.

Do you hate fun?

My friends and I wanted to do an acapella Ween cover band called Boys Club.

I mostly sit at home and make flower bouquets and listen to Joni Mitchell.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rollersnake posted:

Off the top of my head, the only Ween song I dislike is Tender Situation, which kinda feels like Little Birdy Part 2 and doesn't really do anything interesting. Also I guess L.M.L.Y.P. but that's just at the extreme end of "varying degrees of obnoxious."

Tender Situation is one of those songs that live sound about a million times better. I mean how can you hate on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PL2hab9MSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tbsaXGsrxU

This band does one thing that I don't really see any other bands doing and that is playing with a ton of emotion or event taking on different characters for different songs. Seeing them live was an emotional rollercoaster that I've never really experienced with any other band.

ALso, friends is great but the gay euro dj version > album version. Only album I don't like all of is La Cucaracha but that still has a lot of great songs.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 24, 2016

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Boy's Club might be the dumbest song I've ever heard and I love it very much.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Two Ween songs could actually be Tim and Eric songs and I'd never know the difference, and those are Boys Club and Sweetheart in the Summer.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I never liked the more serious slower and melodic songs that make up side 2 of Quebec.

And my favorite Ween albums are Guava and Pod. But I'm of the mindset that lovely production can be perfect production in the right circumstances. Also I'm just a pervert that likes ugly sounds. It would be much harder to try to make an album as hosed up as Pure Guava than it would be to make a well produced rock record.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 24, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Learnin' To Love is a goddamn delight

Learnin' To Love run through the Infinite Jukebox is transcendent.

I forgot about this site. I don't think I'd ever listen to a song on it in earnest, but turning every slider up to 100% is pretty fascinating for some songs.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just dropping off this killer track from The Deaner Album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFWKZmJkQy0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I wish I could be excited for his album but the two tracks so far have done nothing for me.