Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FunOne posted:

The answer to all questions is: Google Assistant.

Why did they build a new messaging platform? Google Assistant integration.

Why doesn't it do end to end encryption? Google Assistant.

Why do they think people will use this over WhatsApp et. al? Google Assistant!

Why can't I desktop in version 1.0? Google Assistant needs GPS!

Why don't you have these other features? Because the version we demo'd at I/O was just a mock up and didn't actually exist, we've been working this whole time to get here damnit. Its a shell for Google Assistant that we'll eventually make in to a real competitor. Maybe. Or something else.

And yeah, many of these complaints are just because we're all nerds. I mean, we're talking about phones on an internet messaging platform.

WhatsApp built a huge community without encryption, without desktop, hell, without web for a long time. Mobile only, no sync. Facebook messenger built its own user base without SMS and just phone sign up as well. Oh, and Snapchat. Oh, and Instagram too.

I suspect that was the argument for going mobile-first to build a decent tick-the-box chat platform around the Google Assistant integration then develop from there those other things.

That being said: What the gently caress is with the SMS integration? I mean, just leave it out if you're not going to even attempt to integrate with anything. I have Fi, just directly connect out to my SMS gateway instead of making another one! gently caress. Also, image compression is set to kill rather than just stun. I'd love a platform with the option to set it to NONE, but still, this is pretty aggressive. And the clean UI gets hosed sending screenshots of the app and other such edge cases.

Still, the direct message popup without install on other Android devices, when it works, is slick as poo poo. And the Google Assistant actually seems like it'd be pretty useful. That and reply suggestions.

Whatsapp began in an SMS only world (as far as the average phone was concerned, anyway). It was the first to do what it did and it did it simply and well. Allo now exists in a world with 100 superior competitors that do everything it dies only better. The only unique thing it has is assistant, which is not going to be enough to get people to switch. Especially since assistant or some form of it is going to be everywhere in android in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Teeter posted:

My office is under a parking garage and I get literally zero cell service. I use a hangouts # because it is the only way for me to get calls/text while I am at work. Initial testing with Allo seems to suggest that I can send SMS from my carrier # while at work now, though I can only receive them if it is my initial message that is replied to. Doesn't seem like it will pass anything else through

I'm so confused by all of this. All I want is an app that I can use to talk to my friends with using either my google or carrier #. Hangouts took a huge step back when they separated conversation threads.

Where the gently caress do you work

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would imagine there would have to be some work done by the OEM's to support things like message indicators (typing, read etc) stickers, "fun" features etc.

You can have a specific app for 'fun' features. The key is laying out the network so it doesn't have to be opt in.

You update play services so it serves as a proxy for the SMS DB while at the same time synchronizing it to the cloud.

If the person hasn't downloaded a special app for the messaging, they just use whatever SMS handler they normally use. That message get intercepted by play services. If the recipient is on an enhanced client, the message gets written to the local SMS DB as already sent and then the message is then sent through cloud services to the enhanced client at the other end. If the recipient doesn't have an enhanced client and is on an android phone, the message is still sent by IP and play services on the destination device writes it to the SMS db and the user gets notified via their normal SMS client seamlessly. If the recipient is not using an enhanced client and is not android, it's just sent as SMS.

That way, people who really couldn't be bothered and would just rather use normal SMS still reap the advantages of others using the network. If the recipient is android regardless, you can bypass all that tedious mucking about with SMS gateways.

The key is that all messages are syncronized to the internet. So, you hop on gMessage in a browser and send a message to someone. If they are using an enhanced client, it just uses IP. If the recipient is SMS only and not android, then the system either uses an SMS relay or sends the message to your phone to send via SMS.

I'm willing to bet that all of this functionality could be rolled out to current devices just through play services.

Then, after you get that framework working well, you open up API access to the enhanced features. That way, any 3rd party or manufacturer messaging client would be able to interface with them. After a generation of devices, suddenly everyone is on the new chat network and it didn't take anyone signing up for anything.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I'm just gonna keep using Google Wave.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The infuriating thing is that Google Messenger + Mighty Text create essentially the perfect solultion for my use case (everyone I know uses SMS/iMessage, the Android users don't even want to gently caress with Hangouts), all I really want is:

1) To have the "sync to all devices" functionality baked in so I don't have to have one more app on the phone
2) To have a way to loving opt out of group messages

The first of those things is solved, Google just won't implement it. The second is just a shortcoming of SMS. So goddamn close.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Where the gently caress do you work

Basement level of a hospital.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Whizbang posted:

I'm just gonna keep using Google Wave.

The wave of the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If a person you are messaging doesn't have Allo and has android wear, the notification and message will pop up on your wrist and you can hit reply, but it just says "Sent" and kills the message.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Luchadork posted:

2) To have a way to loving opt out of group messages

The first of those things is solved, Google just won't implement it. The second is just a shortcoming of SMS. So goddamn close.

Google Messenger lets you at least mute a thread so you don't get notifications.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm using the Google Now launcher on my Nexus 6P and upgraded to Nougat yesterday. Since then, the Google Now page of the home screen is always initially blank, and I have to pull down to refresh to get it to show anything. Has anyone else experienced this? Didn't manage to find anything from searching.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

bull3964 posted:

Google could very easily build a superior version of iMessage with little effort, they just have chosen not to.

Why? Serious question. I have an iPhone and iMessage is amazing. I don't understand why Google can't just clone it. Is it some kind of technical limitation or what?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Vanellope posted:

Why? Serious question. I have an iPhone and iMessage is amazing. I don't understand why Google can't just clone it. Is it some kind of technical limitation or what?

:google:

Apparently one of the big reasons is that internally the culture in Google celebrates new products rather than old products. You get further in the company by making new things than you do improving or updating old things. It's why we see so many good ideas abandoned before they get the support they need to hit that feature / userbase sweet spot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If a person you are messaging doesn't have Allo and has android wear, the notification and message will pop up on your wrist and you can hit reply, but it just says "Sent" and kills the message.

I'm sure all three people this applies to will be up in arms.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Endless Mike posted:

Don't worry. Maybe Google will finally make a true knockoff iMessage in their 2017 messenger app.

edit: disregard. This was answered above, I didn't finish reading before posting!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure all three people this applies to will be up in arms.

I think Android wear is a total fad and will flop too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vanellope posted:

The obvious reason is the relationship people have with Google. With Apple, you know they're trustworthy and are encrypting your messages end to end. Google exists to datamine and that eliminates the encryption. On top of that, they're reading all of your messages for advertising purposes.

Now, hypothetically, if Google were to do the obvious thing and have an iMessage clone, to get users they'd have to get the OEMs on board by forcing its usage and onboarding during setup. As bull correctly notes, they could easily do this from a technical standpoint but they'd get pushback from carriers and OEMs and it wouldn't keep the peace.

The way I'd do it is essentially the way bull outlined as it's the best technical route to doing so and the pieces are quite literally already in place. I'd present the user with two options, either having end to end encryption and forgoing Google Assistant, or turning off encryption and enabling Google Assistant. The database would be replicated in your Google account for restoring to new devices and searching the chatlogs and as bull correctly notes it would work seamlessly with existing third party messaging clients that already have to use the SMS store on the device. There is really not a technical hurdle at all at any level, it's purely due to Google's desire to have the data.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I think Android wear is a total fad and will flop too.
Considering no one is even bothering to make any new ones, the market agrees unironically.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The way I'd do it is essentially the way bull outlined as it's the best technical route to doing so and the pieces are quite literally already in place. I'd present the user with two options, either having end to end encryption and forgoing Google Assistant, or turning off encryption and enabling Google Assistant. The database would be replicated in your Google account for restoring to new devices and searching the chatlogs and as bull correctly notes it would work seamlessly with existing third party messaging clients that already have to use the SMS store on the device. There is really not a technical hurdle at all at any level, it's purely due to Google's desire to have the data.

What if I want encryption, but my friend doesn't -- aren't we in a situation where google now scans our conversation thread anyway?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

What if I want encryption, but my friend doesn't -- aren't we in a situation where google now scans our conversation thread anyway?

Your friend would see a banner at the top of their convo "Google Assistant unavailable for this chat" when chatting with you.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Endless Mike posted:

Considering no one is even bothering to make any new ones, the market agrees unironically.

Google's new product division seems to have the life creed of "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks." See also: Google Glass.

Also related, and amusing: The Verge's review of Allo. "Google Allo review: This is fine."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

Google's new product division seems to have the life creed of "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks." See also: Google Glass.

Google Glass was rushed to market over objections of the engineers so that Sergey Brin could give his mistress a high profile position to fail at so that the affair would end.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 22, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Google Glass was rushed to market over objections of the engineers so that Sergey Brin could give his mistress a high profile position to fail at so that the affair would end.

Wait what? Because of Poe's law and all that, I honestly can't tell if you're being serious.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

Wait what? Because of Poe's law and all that, I honestly can't tell if you're being serious.

I added a source you'd find credible.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Apple could literally poo poo all over google\android\9th attempt at a messaging platform by just releasing a android version of iMessenger.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I added a source you'd find credible.

What in the actual gently caress

I had no idea :stare:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

What in the actual gently caress

I had no idea :stare:

The details are way more sordid than that article lets on. Sergey and his wife and Rosenberg and her boyfriend all worked at Google and there was a love trapezoid going on for a while. It wasn't until the affair was made public (by Valleywag? I think?) that Sergey decided to leave his wife for her but by then he knew he needed a way out of that relationship, so the rumors were that he used Glass to do it by making her more or less the public face of it, rushing it out of prototype far before it was ready, and having the project fail in view of everyone. By rumors I mean that it was a way to disgrace her, the fact that he rushed it out far before it was time is common knowledge.

And now you know why tech billionaires hated Gawker since they were responsible for airing most of this laundry. Without them you'd just think Google had feckless leadership and was therefore incapable of focusing on anything like a ADD-addled child but now you know that's true, also it goes all the way to the top.

I guess since you're just learning stuff now's a good time to let you know that Eric Schmidt has a soundproofed sex dungeon in Manhattan.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

LastInLine posted:

also it goes all the way to the top.

I think anyone with any common sense could deduce that from how he loving sky dived into the keynote presentation to introduce Google Glass. That was both hilarious and terrifying!

What a wack job.

LastInLine posted:

I guess since you're just learning stuff now's a good time to let you know that Eric Schmidt has a soundproofed sex dungeon in Manhattan.
:stonklol:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

Honestly it sounds more like a hook-up spot, at least from what's in the article. The fact that there is an article proves a little bit of paranoia is probably warranted as far as privacy goes.

Now that I've said that, watch someone else come up with proof he has an adult sized baby crib and an authentic antique Japanese POW cage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was just thinking, only Google would release a new messaging app that can't transfer conversation history to a new device on the eve of announcing new phones that they want people to buy and move to.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why is it we care about Schmidt's sexual inclinations?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Like, what if it's like this? How is that not even a little funny?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I only use messaging software from companies that are run by men with high sex drives.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Aaronicon posted:

:google:

Apparently one of the big reasons is that internally the culture in Google celebrates new products rather than old products. You get further in the company by making new things than you do improving or updating old things. It's why we see so many good ideas abandoned before they get the support they need to hit that feature / userbase sweet spot.

Even if they have a successful "old" product? That doesn't make any sense at all. :psyduck:

LastInLine posted:

There is really not a technical hurdle at all at any level, it's purely due to Google's desire to have the data.

I seriously doubt that the average person would care about data mining if Google made an iMessage clone. People would flock to it. I mean, Facebook has how many billion users?

incoherent posted:

Apple could literally poo poo all over google\android\9th attempt at a messaging platform by just releasing a android version of iMessenger.

Apple would only be making GBS threads all over themselves if they did that. iMessage is one of the main reasons people buy iPhones. I'd buy an Android today if it had iMessage.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think we care, because we'd all do the same thing with Schmidt's money if we had it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Vanellope posted:

Even if they have a successful "old" product? That doesn't make any sense at all. :psyduck:

.....:google:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

beerinator posted:

I only use messaging software from companies that are run by men with high sex drives.

nimper posted:

I don't think we care, because we'd all do the same thing with Schmidt's money if we had it.

I like to think that the thread title applies here, too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

Larry Page also has a sex dungeon, but it is not sound proof.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Do their sex dungeons have SMS fallback?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

Larry Page also has a sex dungeon, but it is not sound proof.

Rookie mistake, and you hate to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Whizbang posted:

Do their sex dungeons have SMS fallback?
They constantly scan your conversations for safewords