Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Absolutely watch Melvin Manhoef vs Robbie Lawler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Korean Zombie/Leonard Garcia from WEC is one of the best brawls in the sport's history. The rematch is a real nice bonus palate cleanser

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Stephen Thompson vs Hendricks is a good one as well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Barboza / Pettis
Poirier / Duffy
Conor / Nate
Jones / Gustafsson

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Both Dillashaw/Barao matches are very worth watching, too

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
The Wanderlei vs Rampage fights are good. Best striking fight ever is probably Lawler vs Condit. Trujillo vs Varner was a great sloppy brawl. Gomi vs Pulver is also a good one, as well as BJ vs Pulver I (One of the few times I've ever seen BJ get rocked). BJ vs Machida is good as well even though they were both fat as hell.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Wanderlei vs Brian stann

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Demian Maia vs Anderson Silva

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Chris Leben vs Anyone.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Siivola posted:

Oh wow, that was fast. Thanks, guys, this'll keep me busy for a bit.

Learn to love grappling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Wanderlei vs Brian stann

Wanderlei/Bisping was really great with Wandy blitzing Bisping at the end of each round.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Did the Fightpass thread fall into archives?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

Did the Fightpass thread fall into archives?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642892

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Danke!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Name the fight

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
gotta be lawler/manhoef

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Name the fight

Duffee/Russow

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

CommonShore posted:

Name the fight

Overeem/Rogers, though it felt like Reem was teeing off on Rogers with GnP for a lot longer than those numbers say

fatherdog posted:

Duffee/Russow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXSQ33LL7Q

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Duffee/Russow

did any of russow's half hearted lunges count as takedown attempts?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

gotta be lawler/manhoef

This is correct. For those newbies in the thread, the winning fighter was on the left, and the fighter on the right is p4p the hardest puncher in the sport.

I had a bit of a trip down Strikeforce memory lane with this. I remember hating strikeforce when it was on, likely due to Mauro's hyperbole, but also never missing a card. Little details of their seedy but hillarious production made me feel nostalgic - they cut back to Manhoef's bleeding and twitching corpse like 9 times haha

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It was years before I realized that was the first punch lawler landed

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Manhoef was the first dude to knock out Mark Hunt as well, if I remember right this was the year Manhoef got like crazy sick and almost died. I think David Carmichael wrote up a Manhoef fighter of the year thing in our best of the year retrospective that covered it all well

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

Manhoef was the first dude to knock out Mark Hunt as well, if I remember right this was the year Manhoef got like crazy sick and almost died. I think David Carmichael wrote up a Manhoef fighter of the year thing in our best of the year retrospective that covered it all well

In Hunts autobiography he talks about that fight as the worst loss of his career

quote:

“When Jérôme dropped out and they replaced him with journeyman middleweight Melvin Manhoef, again on short notice, I knew I was assured victory. Manhoef stood only about five foot seven, and would weigh in a good 40 kilograms lighter than me. I’d be able to bully him on the ground, throw him around in Thai clinches and bludgeon my fists straight through his standing defence. There was no way he could possibly beat me. Perhaps DREAM knew that too. Perhaps they wanted to protect their asset.
The fight was on a giant 2008 New Year’s Eve card, with eighteen bouts and some of the biggest names from both DREAM and K-1 fighting. It felt good to be walking back into the Saitama Super Arena knowing that I was going to get my arm raised. Pride comes before a fall, though. That fight would be the worst loss of my career. I know I’ll never have another like it.
“He’s muscular, Melvin, but he still looked like a child in front of me when we were called to fight. I was anxious to get it all over and done with.
‘READY? FIGHT!’ the ref called.
I pivoted around the middle of the ring while Melvin danced, then I came at him with a long right and a left, and then … and then?
They were bright, those lights.
I have a fight soon. I need to open my eyes. I have a fight soon. I’m fighting. Who am I fighting? Who is this guy? What’s that noise? I have to fight soon. I have to get up. GET UP.
Man, those lights were so bright. I’d never been knocked out cold before. I’d been fighting my whole life and against giants of men, but I’d never been laid out like that. It was only when my eyes came into focus and I saw Melvin dancing around like a maniac that I realised what had happened.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf9U0quIrB8

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 23, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Wanderlei vs Brian stann

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
that hunt/manhoef excerpt makes me wish i was critically unemployed enough to do a retrospective thread for the dream/sengoku era. it was all kind of ghetto but there were some really great moments even outside of the stuff people remember (like eddie alvarez, aoki losing a bunch). that fight between tokoro and hiroyuki takaya where there were about 3 kos was bananas.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
iirc Overeem said in an interview re: Dream "it's like Pride, but without the money"

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Ahh, thanks for all the recommendations on the last few pages. Still working through them but Pudzianowski/Sylvia was amazing, Pudzianowski decides he's done, flops on the ground, Sylvia kicks him a few times like "get up," and then he immediately taps to strikes.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Is there anywhere that does radio/audio coverage of UFC events? I really don't want to miss 205, but I'll be driving the entire time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

that hunt/manhoef excerpt makes me wish i was critically unemployed enough to do a retrospective thread for the dream/sengoku era. it was all kind of ghetto but there were some really great moments even outside of the stuff people remember (like eddie alvarez, aoki losing a bunch). that fight between tokoro and hiroyuki takaya where there were about 3 kos was bananas.

Let us never forget the Sengoku that occured in the Saitama Super Arena lobby during a concert.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Let us never forget the Sengoku that occured in the Saitama Super Arena lobby during a concert.

Haha wasn't it for the black eyed peas?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Haha wasn't it for the black eyed peas?

I think so. It's kind of cool to watch MMA at 3 AM and see this giant window looking out at a city in daylight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

E4C85D38 posted:

Is there anywhere that does radio/audio coverage of UFC events? I really don't want to miss 205, but I'll be driving the entire time.

The only example I'm really aware of is Joe Rogan will do his live commentary fight companion podcasts on cards he isn't calling, but that won't do you any good here, sorry. I think Brendan Schaub might do these occasionally on his own as well, if you can stomach that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's actually a pretty interesting niche you could get into if you had the personality and ability to do a play by play for it. Surprised that few if anyone does it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

E4C85D38 posted:

You could always just find a stream and listen to the TV broadcast. I end up doing that a lot cause I work almost all saturday nights. It's not quite as good as something that's geared entirely for radio, but the play by play from the TV is usually good enough to keep track of the fight.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do any good MMA rankings exist? Right now I only use the UFC ones.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

I suspect the answer is no. There are so many variables and everything is changing very quickly with fighters.

edit: Any ranking is subject to massive bias by the ranker(s)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tumor looking batty posted:

All mma rankings are bad. The Official UFC Rankings are the least bad in the sense that the UFC pays some attention to them when it comes to matchmaking, which is 100% untrue of any other rankings.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I find that fightmatrix.com can be a good supplement. It's not perfect, but it's objective and comprehensive.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ditch posted:

I find that fightmatrix.com can be a good supplement. It's not perfect, but it's objective and comprehensive.

I wish there was a fightmatrix where I could generate rankings based off of my correcting of bad decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Would the UFC ever get rid of doing the weigh-in shows? They seem silly and antiquated, from the stepping on the fake scale in your Nikes and big cowboy hat to doing a pin-up fighting pose with Dana White in the middle afterwards.

• Locked thread