Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Hed posted:

Is there a way to stop Windows Defender from notifying me "No threats were found since the last time we scanned! :downs:" without turning off all Windows Defender notifications?

I believe you just turn off "enhanced notifications" in settings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I believe you just turn off "enhanced notifications" in settings:

Yes, imagine this was actually called "pointless notifications".

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I like to think of it as "here you go, you animals" because it's clearly there to mollify people who have been taught by their garbage antivirus to expect messages about how they were protected from 207143 threats this week.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

I like to think of it as "here you go, you animals" because it's clearly there to mollify people who have been taught by their garbage antivirus to expect messages about how they were protected from 207143 threats this week.

Yeah, now that I've gotten rid of Avast it's nice how unobtrusive Defender has been. Not constantly nagging me about stuff or trying to sell me things or really making its presence heard at all.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Has anybody else's files/folders using Medium or Large icons suddenly had their filenames become left-aligned? This just happened to my system around half an hour ago and I don't know what triggered it. I think I opened a .tar with 7-Zip, opened a PDF from inside the archive, and then everything was suddenly left-aligned after I closed the reader. Restarting didn't fix it, and nobody seems to have an explanation other than "it's another bug in Windows 10 or the Anniversary Update."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Grog posted:

Has anybody else's files/folders using Medium or Large icons suddenly had their filenames become left-aligned? This just happened to my system around half an hour ago and I don't know what triggered it. I think I opened a .tar with 7-Zip, opened a PDF from inside the archive, and then everything was suddenly left-aligned after I closed the reader. Restarting didn't fix it, and nobody seems to have an explanation other than "it's another bug in Windows 10 or the Anniversary Update."

That's been in so many Anniversary Update builds that I suspect it's by design.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I mashed some unknown key combination which changed the Settings window to a weird list view. Any idea how to change it back to the default large tiles?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dud root posted:

I mashed some unknown key combination which changed the Settings window to a weird list view. Any idea how to change it back to the default large tiles?

You probably just made it too narrow for the desktop/tablet view so it fell back to phone view.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
At some point I used to be able to click the date/time in Windows to see the monthly/annual calendar. I don't know quite when this stopped working but it doesn't seem to anymore. Any way to get this behavior back? It's handy on machines without Outlook installed in case you're on the phone trying to setup a meeting or etc.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

If you used a retail 7 key and upgraded to 10, what happens if you use that 7 key again to install another PC? Rebuilding a MAME box so my on-hand options are either this 7 license, or an old XP key.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

If you used a retail 7 key and upgraded to 10, what happens if you use that 7 key again to install another PC? Rebuilding a MAME box so my on-hand options are either this 7 license, or an old XP key.

The 7 key will activate fine.

You're technically breaking the license but that doesn't matter unless you're doing it in a business environment where it'll get audited

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

The Gunslinger posted:

At some point I used to be able to click the date/time in Windows to see the monthly/annual calendar. I don't know quite when this stopped working but it doesn't seem to anymore. Any way to get this behavior back? It's handy on machines without Outlook installed in case you're on the phone trying to setup a meeting or etc.

It should still work; and as far as I know there's no option to disable/enable it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Weird, must be something IT deployed here by accident. I'll look into it, thanks.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Its really weird that clicking on the dates in that pop-up calendar dont drop you into the calendar app itself (and the time sending you to the clock app). Android has spoiled me I guess.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arcon posted:

Its really weird that clicking on the dates in that pop-up calendar dont drop you into the calendar app itself (and the time sending you to the clock app). Android has spoiled me I guess.

Well there is a "Show agenda" foldout on the pop-up calendar, that shows you calendar events for the selected date. And when you have the agenda open, there is a "+" that will open the Calendar app and create a new event for that day.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I did the manual download of the last patch that stalled for a lot people, but it seems to have broken Windows Update.
It can no longer install Defender definitions, they always fail after downloading with "KB2267602 (Definition 1.227.2825.0) - Error 0x80070643"
If I try update from the Defender app window, it says there was a network connection issue.
Pulling the full 130 MB definitions update file manually works, but gently caress doing that every day or so.

Already tried purging the WU cache and restarting the services, and MS'es troubleshooter did nothing unsurprisingly :unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

sauer kraut posted:

I did the manual download of the last patch that stalled for a lot people, but it seems to have broken Windows Update.
It can no longer install Defender definitions, they always fail after downloading with "KB2267602 (Definition 1.227.2825.0) - Error 0x80070643"
If I try update from the Defender app window, it says there was a network connection issue.
Pulling the full 130 MB definitions update file manually works, but gently caress doing that every day or so.

Already tried purging the WU cache and restarting the services, and MS'es troubleshooter did nothing unsurprisingly :unsmith:

One thing I found that works is 1. Reboot and then 2. install the Microsoft Update Readiness Tool.

It's like a half gig and installs some patch that fixed my updating issues.

poo poo, this was for Windows 7 not Windows 10. Nevermind.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't checked if anyone posted this but the new Anniversary update does NOT?! require you to sign in to download free apps? WHAAAT? No seriously, it works now. This makes me far happier than it should. Setting up new computers will be a breeze now. THANK GOD.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You probably just made it too narrow for the desktop/tablet view so it fell back to phone view.

Thanks that was it. Derp

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I recently found out about the registry hack for the OLED transparency for the taskbar. It looks way better now. What's the reason behind it not being default? It works with all wallpapers (Light or dark) and makes the interface look nicer. I wish it made the start menu and action centre, etc, all have that transparency too. From the name I'm guessing it's to reduce burn in on OLED devices, but I just like it more.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I recently found out about the registry hack for the OLED transparency for the taskbar. It looks way better now. What's the reason behind it not being default? It works with all wallpapers (Light or dark) and makes the interface look nicer. I wish it made the start menu and action centre, etc, all have that transparency too. From the name I'm guessing it's to reduce burn in on OLED devices, but I just like it more.

What's it look like with it on? Just the icons and no taskbar or something?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's it look like with it on? Just the icons and no taskbar or something?

Basically this:
http://imgur.com/a/CsTXY

More transparent basically, without making the text or icons less readable. Just a nice thing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

That seems like it does the exact opposite of preventing burn-in.Which is good!
My phone has a band of pixels that are noticeably brighter in full screen apps/videos because of the status bar used to be solid black for the years it ran Android 4.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you had a Win8 install upgraded to Win10 but rolled back the install, does a direct install of Win10 on the same computer work?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Riso posted:

If you had a Win8 install upgraded to Win10 but rolled back the install, does a direct install of Win10 on the same computer work?

Yeah, as long as you did the upgrade once that hardware has been granted a Digital Entitlement and Windows 10 will activate when you go online. You can just download the recovery media from MS and install from that.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Very good, thanks.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
:argh: This bleeding "content update" has made a total mess of my computer. It seems like ALL my folder settings have been deleted. I've spent the last two hours reconfiguring document folders to display the correct columns in file explorer (and display them correctly), but now things are more or less as they were.

Eventually, though, I'll have to move on to my music library. I'm not looking forward to that--there's about 450 folders all told.

Guys, I'm at the end of my patience. Is there a way to configure a whole group of folders at once?

What they look like now:

What I want them to look like:

With the four columns having specific widths.

I've tried googling around, but I mostly get Windows 7 guides and identical guides which either don't work or are for a different problem.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Evil Thing posted:

:argh: This bleeding "content update" has made a total mess of my computer. It seems like ALL my folder settings have been deleted. I've spent the last two hours reconfiguring document folders to display the correct columns in file explorer (and display them correctly), but now things are more or less as they were.

Eventually, though, I'll have to move on to my music library. I'm not looking forward to that--there's about 450 folders all told.

Guys, I'm at the end of my patience. Is there a way to configure a whole group of folders at once?

What they look like now:

I've tried googling around, but I mostly get Windows 7 guides and identical guides which either don't work or are for a different problem.

Give up and use a different file manager that isn't subject to the whims of Microsoft, such as the excellent (although admittedly expensive) Directory Opus.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 22, 2016

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

The Evil Thing posted:

What they look like now:

450 folders, you lucky.

Anyway yes you can mass change folder types.

First you'll want to change any folder in your music directory to be "optimized" as "Music" (right click > properties > customize > music).
Then set that poo poo up how you want it.
Once you're set up and happy, while being in the same folder, basically your looking at your mp3's, go View > Folder options, > View > "Apply to Folders", and this will make all your music folders that were set to be "optimized" as music look how you set them up.

Boy I can't wait for when MS moves explorer to a metro thing...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So this recent update I restarted for put a Store icon on my taskbar, so I removed it

but it won't go away. It's an invisible entity that I can move and swap around but never delete

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Morter posted:

So this recent update I restarted for put a Store icon on my taskbar, so I removed it

but it won't go away. It's an invisible entity that I can move and swap around but never delete

Have you tried pinning & unpinning some other random program to the taskbar? I've had similar things happen with both taskbar and start menu, and doing something that forces a rebuild of the items seems to fix it most of the time.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

It fixed itself with today's big (non delta-patch) definition update thankfully.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

My current PC is running Windows 10 that was upgraded from retail Windows 7 Pro. I'm building an entirely new PC, am I right to assume I'll be able to create Windows 10 install media on my current PC and use my Windows 7 key to activate it on the new one? If not is there some process to go about doing this or is it completely verboten and I have to buy a new license? I don't plan to use Windows on both PCs at the same time, I'm formatting my old one and putting Linux on it.

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 24, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

d0s posted:

My current PC is running Windows 10 that was upgraded from retail Windows 7 Pro. I'm building an entirely new PC, am I right to assume I'll be able to create Windows 10 install media on my current PC and use my Windows 7 key to activate it on the new one? If not is there some process to go about doing this or is it completely verboten and I have to buy a new license? I don't plan to use Windows on both PCs at the same time, I'm formatting my old one and putting Linux on it.

It'll probably work, yes. Especially if you have your current digital license tied to a Microsoft account you should be able to activate again. (You can check that in the Settings app, Update & Security > Activation.)

If your Windows 7 license is an OEM one, it may technically be in violation, although most likely nobody will ever bother you about it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

nielsm posted:

It'll probably work, yes. Especially if you have your current digital license tied to a Microsoft account you should be able to activate again. (You can check that in the Settings app, Update & Security > Activation.)

If your Windows 7 license is an OEM one, it may technically be in violation, although most likely nobody will ever bother you about it.

I should have mentioned that I really don't want to tie my install to a microsoft account if I can help it. When I would install Windows 7 on a different machine I sometimes had to call microsoft and give them a code or something and then I could activate, is there something similar with Windows 10?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The license is added to your Microsoft account rather than you getting a new key, so you're probably out of luck there. I don't know if it's possible to activate using your Microsoft account but still use a local account to log in?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

From what I'm reading you can still call them and just tell them your hardware failed and you had to replace it and they'll probably push it through. I guess I'll find out once I build it and give it a try

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Tying the key to your Microsoft account is the way to do that now. I haven't heard any first-hand reports but they might be less receptive to reactivating a license if you chose not to.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I guess I'll find out. I really hope I see a saner OS become the big platform for games within my lifetime because I don't think there is a single thing I like about windows 10, everything is such a nightmare with it. it's not even a "lol miKKKro$oft always bad" thing because it was fine up to 7 :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The license is added to your Microsoft account rather than you getting a new key, so you're probably out of luck there. I don't know if it's possible to activate using your Microsoft account but still use a local account to log in?

I think you can just delete the MS-using account after you activate Windows and carry on using a normal local one.