Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they'd make Xcode run on an iPad Pro first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BobHoward posted:

lol @ the commenters accusing mjg59 of being a Microsoft shill

they haven't met shaggar i see

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

shameful posting

this is all my posting but homebrew still is fantastic

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

atomicthumbs posted:

this is illegal right

the only illegal part might be that the shop he bought it from didn't say it's a signature windows laptop, whatever that means

otherwise no, I'm pretty sure this is just lenovo being incompetent, rather than microsoft being nefarious

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

a person in your position (writing Linux code) should be using a Mac

they don't actually expect you to also use Linux through anything besides ssh do they?

it's technically allowed but it's a risky choice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Truga posted:

the only illegal part might be that the shop he bought it from didn't say it's a signature windows laptop, whatever that means

otherwise no, I'm pretty sure this is just lenovo being incompetent, rather than microsoft being nefarious

i'm p sure they only sell those at ms stores unless he got it second-hand

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Olivil posted:

I haven't used mac os since 10.8 but it seemed like it was pretty loving bad, how is it nowadays?

it sucks cause macbooks suit the gently caress out of my needs hardware wise but mac os is so bad...

it's bad now, but probably still not as bad as desktop linux.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

desktop linux is the best because it can be what the gently caress you want

the sky's the limit

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tankakern posted:

desktop linux is the best because it can be what the gently caress you want

the sky's the limit

except good lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

except good lmao
:thurman:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

except good lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

except good lmao

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
actually, it is possible to have a desktop environment that is both good and respects your software freedom

some said it was impossible

wait until they get a load of gnome 3

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

actually, it is possible to have a desktop environment that is both good and respects your software freedom

osx ?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

windows 10

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lindows

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

carry on then posted:

except good lmao

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:prepop:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
kicked up a fedora vm on my windows box again, fedora 24 runs pretty nicely on vmware player now and its a p dece desktop
having to download slack like a caveman manually is some dumb poo poo though, get your poo poo together package management

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

kicked up a fedora vm on my windows box again, fedora 24 runs pretty nicely on vmware player now and its a p dece desktop
having to download slack like a caveman manually is some dumb poo poo though, get your poo poo together package management

slack provides repositories

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
made the mistake of updating to macos sierra and i take back all the nice things i said, it's as bad as every other linux

particularly good linux-inspired features of macos sierra are the way the trackpad will randomly stop being able to click, and the way scrolling in some apps (e.g. terminals) is suddenly 10x more sensitive than it should be

it's really bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I haven't noticed that its that bad yet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

S I E

R R A

piece of loving poo poo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

been using the sierra beta all summer and it's fine, no issues here

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does it at least come with a copy of space quest?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

does anyone here have experience with criu? supposedly I can use it to create snapshots of running processes that can later be relaunched if something (say, a power outage) happens

Condiv fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 25, 2016

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

kinda sucks that Lenovo is so fuckin incompetent though since thinkpads are still good computers and have better support than a lot of lappys. dell is still very needs suiting.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance posted:

been using the sierra beta all summer and it's fine, no issues here

"works for me" is the mantra of linux users

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

EndlessRagdoll posted:

kinda sucks that Lenovo is so fuckin incompetent though since thinkpads are still good computers and have better support than a lot of lappys. dell is still very needs suiting.

i got the previous gen of the X1 carbon in Jan only because I killed my old mb air and they were flogging them off cheap with high specs. surprises the hell out of me that it's the best i've ever used. will probably get another when the time comes

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The_Franz posted:

"works for me" is the mantra of linux users

no it isnt

even linux users know linux doesn't really work. they just prefer it that way.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
x1 carbon series is extremely good

gen3 switched back to real function keys but they undid all the other keyboard changes too which were actually pretty good for the most part. also they changed the dock interface. lol idk.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah my next laptop is probably going to be an x1. they're just nice machines.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

slack provides repositories

plenty of apps do but it's a dumb patten, but you're a clown who hates homebrew so I can see how you'd have trouble

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
good thing flatpak is coming then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

plenty of apps do but it's a dumb patten, but you're a clown who hates homebrew so I can see how you'd have trouble

repos are bad so just use this shell script to download other shell scripts instead?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

good thing flatpak is coming then

it's not coming

which distribution do you think is going to ship flatpak? it violates debian policy, it competes with canonical's in-house product, and it would be unsupportable for enterprise customers on rhel.

it will be 3rd party forever

cool a 3rd party tool so i can .. download other 3rd party tools that were inexplicably built for this platform no one uses

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

repos are bad so just use this shell script to download other shell scripts instead?

repos are also shell scripts that download other shell scripts and we'd be a lot better off if you tried post_uninstall.sh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

repos are also shell scripts that download other shell scripts

nope

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Needed to do some quick photo editing and thought I'd try gimpshop, as they must have fixed the worst of the bugs by now

Holy loving poo poo is the interface still an awful useless mess. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's called gimp for a reason