Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So how many episodes before Bull gets taken down by the Leverage team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Meh, I'm thinking my original feelings about This Is Us were on the money. The only interesting thing in the slightest was the gimmick reveal at the end. The white text opener was groan worthy too. These 'anthology style but all connected' shows just never seem to be particularly gripping to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The twist in This Is Us was not good enough to cover the whole "DON'T LOOK UP WHAT HAPPENS!!!!! KEEP IT A SURPRISE!!!!" deal from every single critic who saw it tbh. I overall liked it - Fogelman has a good gift for dialogue that feels totally natural - but I didn't exactly care about seeing further. I feel like it basically wrapped itself up already.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bruceski posted:

So how many episodes before Bull gets taken down by the Leverage team?

aw. Leverage was such a good, low key agreeable show. There's a number of shows where I've idly thought "you know, now would be a good time for the Leverage crew to step in and take down this bastard".

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sober posted:

Conversely, holy poo poo, the pilot for Bull is an absolute mess. I know I don't watch a lot of legal procedural dramas but it feels like I walked into the middle of the 6th season of a show where the writers are seriously spiraling.

Let's see:
  • the opening montage/collage while cool looking starts with someone questioning "innocent until proven guilty?" and ends with "Rich people don't play by the same rules" and the episode proceeds with the 'team' basically defending a rich kid for murdering a young woman.
  • i'm not even gonna start on the shot where they turn shot into a still photo into a meme
  • also let's start on the body of a dead young woman (of colour) because we haven't seen that in a while
  • no one on the main cast is ever properly introduced or given a moment to shine, not even THE LEAD. he just leans casually in the corner when the defense team lawyers walk in and he is introduced by name. I mean what he did was just look at some screens and tell us who was gonna vote guilty. That was really, really, weak, and I've seen pretty pathetic character intros.
  • hilarious overly green screened shot that also doubles as exposition dump for the case. this is before you even cut to commercial. c'mon guys.
  • basically fill 15 minutes of characters talking shop about the case with no character work whatsoever. Cause this isn't the pilot at all.
  • somehow the only shocking thing is: a teenage girl (defendant's girlfriend) up on the stand and when she gets pissed off, she actually throws the tablet (to read her texts back) at the lawyer's face, square in the drat nose!
  • like literally the scene after is where the dead girl's father waltzes up the steps of the courthouse to take a shot at father of the guy who is on trial WITH NO BUILDUP WHATSOEVER. the last scene had more tension to it!
  • another 10 minutes of shop talking and then the main character telling his defendant client that he knows he's gay, and that's totally a valid defense and why he didn't kill that girl, because he didn't have sex with her... again. And apparently it's true and he knew the whole time... because he's just that good? well no, they don't mention anything about it. But he's gay, so let's roll with it.
  • the other subplot is Michael Weatherly convincing the sole female defense lawyer to take the lead at the end to sway the one lady who would cause everyone to vote not guilty, there's that too I guess.
  • also the defendant client who is a rich white boy is found not guilty and the poor minority family is left to suffer in this quick glimpse of the mother sobbing for about five seconds. who cares about the victim's family? this poor white boy is the victim here, he's on trial and then had to come out!
  • as everyone leaves the courthouse, Michael Weatherly confronts aforementioned jury lady (who swung the vote) why she voted not guilty even though the show told us at least three times why (because the guy on trial reminded her of her son, they just had to get her there). she calls him out on his psychoanalysis crap and says he must live a lonely life. this sentiment is completely unearned as we cut to black.
  • at this point I'm not sure if excising the "disturbed" part of "disturbed genius" was such a good idea. I felt like I was watching gears turn instead of a TV show.
  • Oh and the twist is that the outed gay client was having an affair with the tablet throwing teenage girl's father. And that girl's mother actually killed the actual victim (who cares about her anymore, she's not white) cause she's messed up like that and loves her daughter so so so much and kept a trophy of it cause that's what rational non-serial murder-moms do. And then the cops show up outside and OUR LEAD comes striding out of the lead vehicle because, well it wasn't his client so I guess that's fine. that's the pilot y'all!

Also man Spielberg must have his claws in everything cause he is getting a paycheque for this poo poo.

If none of this made sense then it's pretty clear the entire pilot for Bull made no sense at all or that I was just so good at communicating how the episode unfolded in the same manner as the show did.

Man and I thought the upcoming cop show where a billionaire buys a police department and outfits it with gadgets was gonna be bad. At least even the trailers had a sense of pathos in it. This show did not even seem like it tried to do anything other than simply exist.

I can't believe you missed the worst part of the, the lead is "based" on Dr. Philip\s real life time as a jury consultant.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Spatula City posted:

aw. Leverage was such a good, low key agreeable show. There's a number of shows where I've idly thought "you know, now would be a good time for the Leverage crew to step in and take down this bastard".

If there was any premise that would be perfect for something like that, it's Leverage. Just have the crew hopping across shows and networks, taking down some villain of the week in NCIS, running into Shawn and Gus on Psych, outsmarting Peralta on Brooklyn 99. It would own.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I rather liked The Good Place. Bell and Danson are both on the top of their game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Goldbergs is doing a Breakfast Club episode tonight, should be a solid opener.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

The twist in This Is Us was not good enough to cover the whole "DON'T LOOK UP WHAT HAPPENS!!!!! KEEP IT A SURPRISE!!!!" deal from every single critic who saw it tbh. I overall liked it - Fogelman has a good gift for dialogue that feels totally natural - but I didn't exactly care about seeing further. I feel like it basically wrapped itself up already.

I'm assuming the whole thing will be split story of the kids growing up and how it pertains to their lives as adults.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Goldbergs is doing a Breakfast Club episode tonight, should be a solid opener.

That's such an Anthony Michael Hall thing to say.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zero One posted:

That's such an Anthony Michael Hall thing to say.

As the bad boy of TV IV, I respectfully ask you to take that back.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Oh yeah. Pretty great! I liked how they showed the tide turn during the first day of the siege. All the battles have been consistently great. Their budget for cgi boats etc has really helped convey scale. I wasn't sure the Paris siege was going to be believable at all, but they pulled it off.

That Paris attack was really cool. Things like that make me so keen to learn more about history. It's just so hard to find things that are informative but easily digestible at the same time.

What get's your vote: The Paris attack in Vikings or the Charleston attack in Black Sails?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a You're the Worst season 2 thread yet?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure, but they're airing Season 3 now so be careful you didn't miss a year.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure, but they're airing Season 3 now so be careful you didn't miss a year.

Yeah, I meant 3 since that's the one that just started.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

That Paris attack was really cool. Things like that make me so keen to learn more about history. It's just so hard to find things that are informative but easily digestible at the same time.

What get's your vote: The Paris attack in Vikings or the Charleston attack in Black Sails?

I don't watch Black Sails...

Yeah, I know the show isn't super accurate, but I'm going to look up so much poo poo as soon as I'm not worried about spoilers.

It's also going to make me start playing Crusader Kings 2 again.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Well that's it, now you're getting keelhauled for missing out on great television

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I didn't like Vikings season 4 but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities for the next season based on the finale.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Designated Survivor was pretty good except for that ridiculous general. Yes, what the country needs at that moment is a coup, genius. Why don't shows know how to write loyal opposition instead of retarded idiots?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How the gently caress was Lethal Weapon so entertaining?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is Hell on Wheels bad? I watched the first episode and it seemed surprisingly stuck up its own rear end despite looking and feeling like a fairly typical gritty Western thing. I enjoy Miles O'Brien having a go at being evil but Common seems like a waste as of the pilot episode. Is this worth getting into or should I be devoting my attention fully to Last Kingdom?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is Hell on Wheels bad? I watched the first episode and it seemed surprisingly stuck up its own rear end despite looking and feeling like a fairly typical gritty Western thing. I enjoy Miles O'Brien having a go at being evil but Common seems like a waste as of the pilot episode. Is this worth getting into or should I be devoting my attention fully to Last Kingdom?

I liked Hell on Wheels. Give it a couple episodes. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first but it ended up being one of those shows I binged through. I like the historical fiction aspect of some shows though, so ymmv.

Been watching the new shows this week. I'll probably give lethal weapon a chance since the pilot wasn't horrible. Designated survivor was decent too.

I'm looking forward to being thoroughly disappointed by macgyver this week. Probably my favorite show on tv when I was growing up, so there's no way this will measure up. I'm still planning to watch it!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hell On Wheels is completely unremarkable. It's the Sam's Club Cola to Deadwood's Coke Classic in the same way that Ray Donovan is to the Sopranos.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't watched Black-ish since the first few episodes of the first season, but thought a premiere would be a fun time to jump in. Got treated to a 30 minute advert for ABCs parent company as they enjoyed a VIP trip to Disney World. Yay!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I liked Hell on Wheels. Give it a couple episodes. I wasn't sure what to think of it at first but it ended up being one of those shows I binged through. I like the historical fiction aspect of some shows though, so ymmv.

Been watching the new shows this week. I'll probably give lethal weapon a chance since the pilot wasn't horrible. Designated survivor was decent too.

I'm looking forward to being thoroughly disappointed by macgyver this week. Probably my favorite show on tv when I was growing up, so there's no way this will measure up. I'm still planning to watch it!

Calling it now. This guy is a mole or helped the bombing somehow.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven't watched Black-ish since the first few episodes of the first season, but thought a premiere would be a fun time to jump in. Got treated to a 30 minute advert for ABCs parent company as they enjoyed a VIP trip to Disney World. Yay!

Holy poo poo, ABC is still doing this? I remember when Urkel, Roseanne, and something else all did that right after the buyout, family finances be damned.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Jump to the season where the Chinese show up

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Yeah, I meant 3 since that's the one that just started.

Yes it does.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Yeah, I know the show isn't super accurate, but I'm going to look up so much poo poo as soon as I'm not worried about spoilers.

It's also going to make me start playing Crusader Kings 2 again.

Yeah, the question was more aimed at thread as I remember you saying a few pages ago that you haven't seen Black sails.

Don't bother looking poo poo up, at least on Wikipedia. Vikings is set that long ago that there is barely any historical record to go by. Apart from "how did Ragnar die" (which could quite easily change in the show anyway) there isn't much at all listed about his exploits (although post-Ragnar Viking stuff looks quite cool, so I hope the show continues beyond his death)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Designated Survivor was good.

Lethal Weapon was surprisingly fun.

The Good Place was really good.

This is Us was great.

So far I've already got more out of this broadcast season than last and it hasn't even been a week.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I picked up any new network shows last year other than CXG that didn't already get cancelled. Oh I guess Superstore but I wouldn't exactly give it a hearty recommendation it's just fun if you ever worked retail

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

as a longtime watcher of 24 i am disappointed that at no point in the designated survivor pilot did kiefer yell "DAMMIT" or "WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF PIE"

also i feel like the only thing that could have made the "well i'm not THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES" line early on better was if he awkwardly stared into the camera like he was doing some kind of bizarre guest spot on an office episode

watchable enough otherwise, though?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The general guy was ridiculous

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Lethal Weapon is pretty cool. Decent writing and the acting is good too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As far as President Bauer goes, in the event of a decapitation strike, I seriously, seriously doubt that the Secret Service would rush the designated survivor to the Oval Office to take the oath.

Hell, on 9/11, the government wasn't sure if the attacks were over with, and told Bush that it was a terrible idea to go back to the White House that evening. He insisted upon it, and they relented, but if Congress had been wiped out that day, you can bet that any speeches the President had given for several weeks would have been from Cheyenne Mountain. It wouldn't have even been up to him at that point.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is Hell on Wheels bad?

Nope. First couple of seasons are pretty generic but still watchable, but after the change in showrunners it becomes more about the railroad rather than Bohannon`s bullshit and much more interesting.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gonz posted:

As far as President Bauer goes, in the event of a decapitation strike, I seriously, seriously doubt that the Secret Service would rush the designated survivor to the Oval Office to take the oath.

As I understand it, what they'd do is rush him to a plane (so he can't be nuked in turn).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

King Ralph did it better.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoyed the show. I'll watch Kiefer Sutherland in anything that has to do with terrorism, political intrigue and conspiracies.

But I have no patience left in my body for the ages old "main character's child acts like a goddamn moron" trope, and it looks like we're going to be forcefed that in spades on this show. I despise child actors 999 times out of 1,000. I don't care if they're 5 or 15 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

Yeah, the question was more aimed at thread as I remember you saying a few pages ago that you haven't seen Black sails.

Don't bother looking poo poo up, at least on Wikipedia. Vikings is set that long ago that there is barely any historical record to go by. Apart from "how did Ragnar die" (which could quite easily change in the show anyway) there isn't much at all listed about his exploits (although post-Ragnar Viking stuff looks quite cool, so I hope the show continues beyond his death)

gently caress you man, immediate spoilers!! edit: that spoiler was incorrect. Oh god the show broke history so badly.

I'm not actually mad at you, I should have stuck to my guns. Of course there's not going to be any real historical record of the Viking side of things, what with them having no written records, but the lineage of English and French nobility is quite well documented.

Also I assume there was an implied boat journey at some point, but I thought it was funny that it sounded like they were going to walk from Wessex to Rome. Like, hate to break it to you, England is on an island...

I want to talk about this poo poo more, but it really belongs in the Vikings thread (which I assume exists), and I'm waiting until I'm caught up to venture into it.

The other thing this show is making me want to rewatch is Arn: The Knight Templar, which is neither as epic or as historically accurate, but it was definitely neat.

Snak fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread