Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

March Comes in like a Lion

March Comes in like a Lion is a manga series by Chica Umino, she is also the author of Honey and Clover which was also very popular. It has been serialized since 2007 in the seinen magazine Young Animal (the magazine has pictures of gravure idols on the cover a lot of the time :mrgw:). In 2009 it was nominated for a Manga Taishō, but did not win. It was nominated again in 2011 and this year it won. In 2014 it also won the annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize. There are 11 volumes. Now it is being made into an anime.

March Comes in like a Lion is about a 17 year old professional shogi player named Rei Kiriyama. Rei lives by himself, has no family, and has no friends. He became a pro shogi player while in middle school, and is basically the golden child of the shogi world because of this. This story is basically about Rei's journey to adulthood.

March Comes in like a Lion anime premieres on October 8, 2016 and it is being made by Studio Shaft. It is airing on a non-typical channel and timeslot for anime in Japan so they are really trying to promote it to a wider audience.

March Comes in like a Lion will also be on Crunchyroll. The first episode will air on Saturday, October 8th, at 13:00 EDT.

March Comes in like a Lion Anime Staff
Series Director: Kenjirō Okada
Director: Akiyuki Simbo
Music: Yukari Hashimoto
Original creator: Chika Umino
Character Design: Nobuhiro Sugiyama
Art Director: Seiki Tamura
Sound Director: Toshiki Kameyama
Opening song: Answer by BUMP OF CHICKEN
Ending song: Fighter by BUMP OF CHICKEN

March Comes in like a Lion Voice Cast
Rei Kiriyama voiced by Kengo Kawanishi
Akari Kawamoto voiced by Ai Kayano
Hinata Kawamoto voiced by Kana Hanazawa
Momo Kawamoto voiced by Misaki Kuno

March Comes in like a Lion anime preview https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tol3j_sangatsu-no-lion-pv_tv

March Comes in like a Lion
anime preview in webm format. thanks zoglin
https://a.pomf.cat/wdfpcs.webm

March Comes in like a Lion is one of my favorite ongoing manga series. I am extremely hyped for the anime not just becuase this is one of my all time favorite manga stories, but also because Shaft is one of my favorite anime studios. I do not care what you want to talk about as long as it is about March Comes in like a Lion.

March Comes in like a Lion is a story about shogi. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about life. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about growing up. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about sadness. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about happiness. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about love.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i am not really sure what more to put in the OP let me know what you want me to put up there.

here are some color pictures from the beginning of the first three manga volumes

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 21, 2016

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's also going for 22 episodes, so I don't know where it will end plotwise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm excited for shaft shogi

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Unlike Honey and Clover, theres (probably) not going to be a weird ending!

Its real good!!!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I have not read the manga but given the hype here on ADTRW I will certainly check out the anime

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Here's a webm version of the PV if you don't like dailymotion I guess:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The manga is really loving good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Coaaab posted:

It's also going for 22 episodes, so I don't know where it will end plotwise.

hell yeah, i thought it was one cour only. i hope it gets through the bullying arc although that might be too far in

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

hell yeah, i thought it was one cour only. i hope it gets through the bullying arc although that might be too far in

that is probably way too far in but would be really cool to see them get that far

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Shinjobi posted:

The manga is really loving good.

Yes it is. I have no idea how far the show will get into the source material, but I'm excited to see it.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

March Comes in like a Lion Voice Cast
Rei Kiriyama voiced by Kengo Kawanishi
Akari Kawamoto voiced by Ai Kayano
Hinata Kawamoto voiced by Kana Hanazawa
Momo Kawamoto voiced by Misaki Kuno

Nice! I don't know anything about Rei and Momo's VAs, but Ai Kayano also voiced Teko in Amanchu, Kana-chan in Chihayafuru, Mayaka in Hyouka, and Goth-loli-sama in Shirobako. Pretty drat good range considering how different they all sound.

Kana Hanazawa is also the voice of Nadeko from the -gataris, Sonohara in Durarara, Onodera in Nisekoi, Naho in Orange, and the blue-haired girl in Teekyuu!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like lots of things about the manga, but my favorite is definitely the cats.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Yes it is. I have no idea how far the show will get into the source material, but I'm excited to see it.

Nice! I don't know anything about Rei and Momo's VAs, but Ai Kayano also voiced Teko in Amanchu, Kana-chan in Chihayafuru, Mayaka in Hyouka, and Goth-loli-sama in Shirobako. Pretty drat good range considering how different they all sound.

Kana Hanazawa is also the voice of Nadeko from the -gataris, Sonohara in Durarara, Onodera in Nisekoi, Naho in Orange, and the blue-haired girl in Teekyuu!

looking at what the guy who is voicing rei has done in the past i think this might be his first time voicing the main character of a show

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
HUH?!

WAIT REALLY!?

Yeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss

Seriously, this is near the top of my favorite manga. Just reading that it got an anime is making me have goosebumps.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can't wait to get pissed off at the ending like with H&C

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
is the title supposed to be a weird pun? it doesn't quite scan right to me otherwise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's based on a saying, If March comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb, which is in its original context about weather

there's probably some japanese word play in there too

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
march comes in like a lion, april comes in like a lamb. it is an old folk adage.

edit: i guess i got it wrong.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

there once was a lion from nantucket

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

beware the lions of march

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
March Comes in like a Lion is half of the idiomatic phrase 'March comes in like a Lion, goes out like a lamb'. The title is also written as 3-gatsu no Lion, which becomes Sangatsu no Lion, and Sangatsu is the name of the town where all this takes place.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

beware the lions of march

Those lions hosed cesar up...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hype for head tilts

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

z0glin Warchief posted:

Here's a webm version of the PV if you don't like dailymotion I guess:

legit thought this was gonna be some epic Rebellion edit from the preview shot. shinbooo

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

March Comes in like a Lion is a story about shogi. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about life. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about growing up. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about sadness. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about happiness. March Comes in like a Lion is a story about love.

Please do not forget that March Comes in like a Lion is a story about delicious food.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
In case you missed the news, March Comes in like a Lion will be on Crunchyroll, with the first episode airing Saturday, October 8th, at 13:00 EDT.

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

Please do not forget that March Comes in like a Lion is a story about delicious food.

:yeah:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

5 days!!!!!!!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

wow, I had no idea this adaptation was happening until I spotted it in the fall thread earlier today

the manga is great and I'm so excited about reliving it here!!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i still hope we have length digressions on what goes on in the heads of the side characters around rei, so to further illuminate his soul

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the PV for this made me really want a Goodnight Punpun anime for some reason so I'll prob scope this out

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Phobophilia posted:

i still hope we have length digressions on what goes on in the heads of the side characters around rei, so to further illuminate his soul

Yea this is my only worry for translating the manga into anime. Obviously you can give most of the bigger inner thought stuff a hefty pruning and it'll be fine but I hope they don't completely ignore it.

Still mad hype, the comic is great, this looks good.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'm hyped, I've been trying to fill a void in terms of Shaft content.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm hyped, I've been trying to fill a void in terms of Shaft content.

:mrgw:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the main character looks like the guy from the april show

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I dunno how I missed this thread until now but I am extremely loving excited because 3-Gatsu no Lion is one of my favorite things ever

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

super good first episode. end card was by Kentaro Miura which was neat

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah, the end card was really nice.

Everything looked wonderful, that episode exceeded my expectations for sure.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nikaidou's voice is perfect, and also everything in this show is beautiful

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The tonal shift between him alone vs the Kawamoto having was sweet.

I also really loved Akari's text!! So perceptive :). Seriously, I think that was my favorite part of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CHOMPALICIOUS

• Locked thread