Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

insider posted:

They obviously made a mistake by splitting the finale into two parts. I watched both back to back and thought it was pretty good and honestly a ton was answered in the last two episodes.

I mean what else do we have to answer other than overarching plot points (we still have two seasons to go):
What is Mr Robot/Tyrell/White Rose's end goal?
What is going on at the Washington Township Plant?
What is going on with Angela and White Rose?
What is Price's goal with E Corp and E Coin?

The test Angela took to me really seemed like a Turing test to me. There is definitely something up with Angela.
I'm going to start with this post. We don't know the end goal for the Robo-Tyrell-Rose trio other than they are wiping ECorp off the face of the planet. I suspect we won't know what their actual end goal is until the end of the show, just like Fight Club technically didn't let you in on it until the end either. However, we have dream sequences to let us find out (this season's let us in on the hint that they were gonna pull a building down to the ground) and I'll probably analyze them a little more to figure out what the gently caress even.
We know nothing about the Washington Township Plant, nothing about Angela/Rose.
However, we do know Price's goal is to be the owner of the only currency that will be used on Earth. There's no need to look for further details there.

That said, we don't know a few things that I was hoping we'd get a little more insight on.

How can Tyrell wander around in the daylight? (Answer is probably the omniscient dark army ferries him around.)
What was the bullet casing doing at FunSociety? (Answer is probably something as mundane as the fact that Romero died from a stray bullet... so it was just Elliot showing Tyrell the gun was real.)
If the only person in FSociety who was killed by the Dark Army was Cisco, then that means WhiteRose is in fact not trying to wipe out FSociety. The only reason Cisco got got was because they were going after Dom (yes this is another theory I won't flesh out because, duh) So why is our pal Leon showing up to have a chat with DJ Mobley and Trenton? (Answer is probably not to kill them but to let them know that they can return to NYC and they have a job to do.)

Woof. Okay, here's some fun stuff to mull over now.

"So much depends upon a red wheel barrow glazed with rain water beside the white chickens."
Next scene, Dark Army agent in the elevator is....

Yum yum, eating a chicken sandwich (it's hard to get the white meat in the same frame as a clear name on the bag, just trust me) from Red Wheelbarrow BBQ.
That line is also from William Carlos Williams who was born in Jersey and... felt like his poetic work was being overshadowed by T S Eliot. (Source: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poet/william-carlos-williams) Eventually "Williams sought to invent an entirely fresh—and singularly American—poetic, whose subject matter was centered on the everyday circumstances of life and the lives of common people." If this poetry was important to Tyrell's father, who he did not want to become, then he's stating he doesn't want to be a common person.

What does it all mean?!

My lovely theory is sleeper agent. I got on this when I recalled to a friend how lovely Angela's character whiplash was this season. In season 1 she's an innocent. In season 2 she's confident (though falsely) but breaks down back to innocence when Dom explains she's onto her, then gets whiplashed almost immediately back to confident (this time not falsely) which, for a single season, is too much character change! This is alarmingly bad writing! What would cause this poo poo to happen? Go back to figure out where and when Elliot began forgetting who his sister was. What would cause that kind of black out of memory? What caused Mr. Robot to come into being (for possibly not the first time ever.) We still don't know so, gently caress it, Elliot and Angela are sleeper agents (trained at the Washington Township Plant, their parents given cancer because they were against it or whatever) and that stupid wheel barrow line are the precise words they needed to get flipped on. WhiteRose gets in touch with Tyrell (notice how Angela and Tyrell know each other? This is another instance of 2 characters [Whiterose/Tyrell] having met but we don't know it yet) and gives him the line so that if Elliot dismisses him when trying to get in on the plan (to give ECorp someone to blame) Elliot becomes more receptive to the idea.

Maybe. I don't know. I loving hate that this was a movie because of the fact we are now in the middle of Act 2 but at the end of a season. With that in mind... gently caress the jail time because that was pure filler to me now (Elliot even explains that the only reason for it was to tackle his issues with Mr. Robot which has obviously gotten us nowhere with their relationship) as Ray's story was useless. gently caress the Twin Peaks scene for being weird for the sake of weird instead of having a point. gently caress all the BttF and parallel universe references (project Berentstain, final line of this episode "Do you have the time?") for throwing poo poo under the Lost bus.

I think I had some other things but to wrap up my thoughts on this episode: It proves that the penultimate episode of the season is the one they spent the most time on (same happened in S1 and keep in mind the true penultimate was 2 weeks ago as tonight's was just part 2 of a 2-parter finale) so they're copying Game of Thrones. The episode was a yawnfest but I'm glad they answered the question of what the gently caress happened at the end of Season 1 (the one question that, if wasn't answered, I would be hate-watching this show next season.) Finally, I loved that they made all of you "Tyrell is Elliot!" people think you were right and then give ya the "nope, you're fuckin' wrong" ending. Despite this I still have a friend who thinks Tyrell is in his mind. YEESH.

Edit: One more thing. Dark Army being omniscient is loving awful and makes the story worse. Just throwing that out there. It's so bad it makes me hope the time travel poo poo is real.
Edit 2: Oh yeah, the long-take with Elliot talking to a teleporting Mr. Robot was good. It's a classic move but throwing it in as a long-take made it something to appreciate. Similar to Elliot acting like Mr. Robot being spot on. They do so much good poo poo with this show, it's a shame that the "mystery" is getting so frustrating instead of fascinating.

MiddleOne posted:

Which is all pointless anyways since the FBI isn't planning to bring Tyrell in for the murder.
Was the FBI even on that case? Wasn't that just NYPD?
Edit: Here's a pic that actually proves not only that the FBI is on Tyrell's case but they probably WOULD bring him in for the murder on top of the 5/9 hack.

I really hope someone (the show) puts this full board up somewhere because it does a fantastic job of outlining what's actually going on. They even know Joanna got the parking lot guy killed. Jeez!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Ignoring most of this thread but could anyone tell me quickly how much censored swearing is in this ep? Considering torrenting instead of waiting for Amazon to get off their asses, but can't handle all the censoring.

Several bleeped fucks, one unbleeped oval office for some reason. :confuoot:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

DaveKap posted:

My lovely theory is sleeper agent.

dumb theory:

judging from the chronology of what we have seen, the earliest thing that has happened to adult Elliot is him getting a job in Gideon's company (Angela assisting), and Darlene coming to visit. He puts on the mask and becomes Mr Robot and lays out the whole plan to take down Evil Corp.

when s1e1 begins, Elliot has no memory of any of that, other than Angela getting him a job in Gideon's. He lost Darlene, Mr Robot, and the scheme to take down Evil Corp. he also maybe developed the new personality he speaks to i.e. the audience.

is that only attributable to his diassociative personality disorder? i'm curious if Angela is in fact the one who caused it, through being a sleeper agent or w/ev. this makes no sense when tying in with Angela's personality in s1, where she's obviously an almost-innocent thrown into Mr Robot's plan. i was going to say she wouldn't take Price's offer to join Evil Corp if she were complicit in taking down Evil Corp, but that last scene of her in t he finale talking to Tyrell suggests she knew all along what she was doing.

unless she also has some kind of disassociative personality disorder? which i think would be a worse reveal than time travel / alt timelines, but anyway.

so idk, the power hierarchy of the living regulars in Mr R's Take Down Evil Corp roster seems to be

Mr Robot
Angela
Elliot, barely
"i'm not a leader" Darlene
Tyrell
Mobley & Trenton
Idiots who partied in the corporate lawyer's house

quote:

yeah it was just the nypd although the whiteboard in Dom's warroom does link Tyrell to Scott's wife's death.

Joanna getting Scott charged means the position of CTO - which had been blocking Joanna's getting Tyrell's money - would be vacated. so perhaps she'll finally get what she wants then ditch her boytoy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good but somewhat underwhelming finale. Definitely felt like the Joanna stuff shoulda been paced a little better instead of cramming the exposition into this episode.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Also worth mentioning that looking at Dom's board, Darlene can finally learn how Cisco and Angela knew each other.
Edit: Also interesting, Gideon's murderer isn't on the board at all yet Shayla is. Though both have case files connected to them so perhaps it's just a "doesn't matter in this context" type thing but... how the hell Shayla would be connected at all yet the raid on Ray not being connected to his meetings with Elliot... ugh. Filler is the mind killer.
Another edit: Just need to mention I called it on Scott being the person calling Joanna and sending her poo poo but, really, it should've been obvious.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 22, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I binged through all of season 1 about a week before season 2 started, and having to wait a week between episodes was a nightmare. I think next season I'm gonna wait till the whole thing has aired and then watch it all in one go.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
The people in this thread who think its a sleeper agent or AI story-arc are plain retarded. I honestly don't know how a sane mind makes the jump from what we have to either of those ideas.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Episode 1 wasn't the first time Elliot saw Mr. Robot. Remember, he started going to see his therapist because he was screaming at his dead father inside a museum.

Woden
May 6, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Also worth mentioning that looking at Dom's board, Darlene can finally learn how Cisco and Angela knew each other.
Edit: Also interesting, Gideon's murderer isn't on the board at all yet Shayla is. Though both have case files connected to them so perhaps it's just a "doesn't matter in this context" type thing but... how the hell Shayla would be connected at all yet the raid on Ray not being connected to his meetings with Elliot... ugh. Filler is the mind killer.
Another edit: Just need to mention I called it on Scott being the person calling Joanna and sending her poo poo but, really, it should've been obvious.

Gideon is dead on the wall with a homicide tag above his name, do you mean Susan Jacobs isn't shown as deceased yet?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Red Wheel Barrow has shown up a bunch this season. That was what was written on his journal while in prison.

I liked the Fight Club Reference fakeout at the end. You really think he's going to go back to that well, and I almost bought it for a second that Tyrell wasn't real and wasn't holding that gun.

But no, it's real, he was shot (I think.) Interesting finale.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I liked the finale but I think I would've liked it a lot more if I had waited for the entire season to air before beginning.

I think both finale episodes should've been aired together and there was just so much teasing, especially after last week's episode, that I spent most of the viewing extremely frustrated except for the last few minutes. I am mostly pleased with where this is going but I really hope the next season has more meat on it than this one.

Jerusalem posted:

I binged through all of season 1 about a week before season 2 started, and having to wait a week between episodes was a nightmare. I think next season I'm gonna wait till the whole thing has aired and then watch it all in one go.

Yeah, I had the same reaction. Last night really hammered it in.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well you knew Tyrell was real because he was on the FBI board

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah he's "real" in the sense that he's a time-traveling sleeper agent. :tinfoil:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Well you knew Tyrell was real because he was on the FBI board

I don't think (most) people thought he was never real, but that perhaps he was killed and now lives in Elliott's head.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DaveKap posted:

Edit: Here's a pic that actually proves not only that the FBI is on Tyrell's case but they probably WOULD bring him in for the murder on top of the 5/9 hack.

I really hope someone (the show) puts this full board up somewhere because it does a fantastic job of outlining what's actually going on. They even know Joanna got the parking lot guy killed. Jeez!

I do like the handful of details they have missing from there, like Susan Jacobs being dead or that they don't have a connection between Angela and Ollie.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
drat I loved that episode. The scene with Elliott and Tyrrell and Mr Robot at the end was amazing. I'm fine with loose ends and mystery since the show doesn't give me the feeling they are charging forward with no way to resolve anything, a la Lost. It's a multi season arc and that's fine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mr. Powers posted:

I don't think (most) people thought he was never real, but that perhaps he was killed and now lives in Elliott's head.

Yeah - this was my thinking going in to the episode. After all, why else would he dress up in those wonderful suits? It's not like he's going out or looking to impress anyone.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Oh yeah, duh

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

This episode also cleared up my biggest qualm with S2- the apparent absurd ineptitude of the FBI. No matter what people told me about the FBI somehow completely buying that Tyrell was the sole perpetrator of the attack thus pivoting their attentions away from Elliot and others I simply could not accept the fact that shitloads upon shitloads of professional agents, who would have grilled every employee of AllSafe several times, would never hear of the weird anti-social hacker savante with the criminal record who also literally stopped coming to work at the time 5/9 went down! It seemed like incredibly poorly designed plot-armor and seeing FSociety redshirts cutting off statue balls and partying without leading a massive trail just exasperated everything further. The whole cobra/silent-observer restores the FBI portrayal to some semblance of realism for me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Max posted:

Red Wheel Barrow has shown up a bunch this season. That was what was written on his journal while in prison.

Transvestite prisoner was burning Waiting for Godot, in a red wheel barrow.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I really wish they had kept the last two episodes together at one and reordered how things fell. That was very disappointing after all the fish room hype.

Also I missed the post credits bah.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

I really wish they had kept the last two episodes together at one and reordered how things fell. That was very disappointing after all the fish room hype.

Also I missed the post credits bah.

Yeah, I think most of my complaints ultimately end up with the second half not really living up to the anticipation built up by the first half. I came into it accepting that Washington township and that mystery are locked away for the forseeable future as an end-game scenario, and I enjoyed every single development that happened in the finale, especially loving the abrupt character reversals with Angela and Darlene finding themselves now on thoroughly oppositve sides that would never have seemed possible early in the show. It's just, everything felt less effective spaced out like that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Someone mentioned Leon is seen driving up in a limousine in the post-credits scene? Anyone got confirmation on that? It would suggest he's there to pick Trenton and Mobley up to drag them back in rather than off 'em.

Mr. Robot also could have been in touch with Dark Army to spare them/get them back.

Also, Esmail in an interview was hinting at Season 3 and referred to them as "our heroes" and kind of joshing about the ambiguity of their fate. Anything could happen, but that might be a hint at their role in Season 3 as the good-guy outlaws we can root for against Darlene and Mr. Robot's chaotic neutral antihero roles and the Dark Army and E-Corp's villainy.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Max posted:

I liked the Fight Club Reference fakeout at the end. You really think he's going to go back to that well, and I almost bought it for a second that Tyrell wasn't real and wasn't holding that gun.

Yeah that reverse fightclub ending was great.

"You're not real and you don't have a gun!" *bang*

:allears:

I also seem to have missed the Mobley-Trenton-Leon post credits scene, so I was extremely confused for a while when people were talking about it.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Here's the scene

http://www.eonline.com/news/796774/relive-the-mr-robot-season-2-finale-s-shocking-post-credits-scene

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Collateral posted:

Transvestite prisoner was burning Waiting for Godot, in a red wheel barrow.

Yes and he calls the red wheelbarrow his totem the first time we see it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I really hope Leon is there to recruit Trent and Mobley and not, you know, erase them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

re: Whiteboard

I wonder what the deal is with Trenton being identified, but not boxed in with fsociety? Also, there's no photo of her. So far she's only listed (what I think is) as an acquaintance. She also didn't seem to be wearing a headscarf in Arizona, either.

And... she moved her family too.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 22, 2016

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

blunt posted:

The dark army (and from the last 2 eps angela and white rose)'s movements seem to correlate to the brownouts, which either cause tvs to skip back a few seconds, or is supposedly indicative of time travel.

Well in his own words, Whiterose likes to.... hack time. :downsrim:

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 22, 2016

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Doctor Butts posted:

re: Whiteboard

I wonder what the deal is with Trenton being identified, but not boxed in with fsociety? Also, there's no photo of her. So far she's only listed (what I think is) as an acquaintance. She also didn't seem to be wearing a headscarf in Arizona, either.

And... she moved her family too.

Season 3 will have Trump as president, and she wants to hide her musliminess.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I hope theres an explanation for some of the poo poo on the whiteboard next season because it seems crazy that the FBI would be able to link Joanna to the parking lot guy without an informant or a wire tap or something.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A neat camera thing I just realized after the fact is how cool Dom and Darlene's scene reveal with the FBI's flowchart of players was shot. The audience/Elliot's unseen "friend" is essentially the camera that Dom and Darlene are gazing in. What the FBI knows is essentially everything we know at this point, almost like they hacked into our knowledge of the show, and I love how uncomfortable it gets the closer Darlene and Dom look directly into us.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 22, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, that was a very unfortunate ending. The big plot reveal is that they are doing the Big Hack II: Analog Boogaloo. Nothing gets resolved between Mr. Robot and Elliot, nor with Angela or White Rose.

Maybe it's not such a good idea to stretch out a movie plot to 6 seasons and a movie. Feels pretty thin.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Trenton and Mobley are in prison, right? Seemed that way to me.

There's no way Leon got out, especially after killing those dudes.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Catsplosion posted:

The people in this thread who think its a sleeper agent or AI story-arc are plain retarded. I honestly don't know how a sane mind makes the jump from what we have to either of those ideas.

You should have been there for true detective season 1

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

n.. posted:

Trenton and Mobley are in prison, right? Seemed that way to me.

There's no way Leon got out, especially after killing those dudes.

That's an interesting thought, but I think a few things from the scene exclude that as a possibility. They mentioned "being on break" which suggests they really were at work, Mobley mentioned getting an apartment cheap, and a few other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Also, I doubt that a man and a woman would be able to eat lunch together in prison.

I'm sure the Dark Army could easily pull some strings to get Leon out, they've certainly proven that they could do much worse than that if and when they want to.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
Shayla is on the white board because she would have been a body found in car, there is no other line like connecting here to that creepo drug dealer, so Elliot must have left some DNA or finger prints behind.

I didn't notice that Trenton was not in the Fsociety box, she was the most cautious around here family and I believe she left the least amount of a trail for the FBI to follow.

I find it funny that the FBI have Darlene as the leader of Fsociety but do not know the full connection to Elliot, Angela, and the Dark Army.

The FBI operating under "top secret" and doing crazy things like sending that dude undercover to get under the sheets with Angela. That does not seem like standard police procedure but I guess that is the point. The FBI watching Joanna and letting her bodyguard kill people to build evidence or lure Tyrell out could be viewed as reckless but with dealing with financial collapse, I suppose the FBI started using the big boy gloves.

Questions

The FBI do not know they have a leak through their back door hacker thingy, is this how the Dark Army knew it was time to pick up Angela? Like, the Dark Army has known about Angela for months but waited until she was about to give her self up to the authorities. Like the FBI gets a half-ID of Cisco and put out information to the press. Either the Dark Army heard about it on the news or through their back door. It makes me wonder if the FBI would have sat on the information like Dom wanted, would Cisco still get got?

There is so much Darlene could give up: the back door, the possibilities of Phase 2, how the 5/9 Hack went down, and what happened to Susan Holt. Darlene cannot play super dumb for long and I doubt will confess to murder, I do not know what else they can do with her unless they want to portray the USFG in a super bad light and season 3 Darlene is in Gitmo getting waterboarded. What does Dom think Darlene will give her by showing her what the FBI knows?

If Tyrell is suspect #1 doesn't that mean Elliot is suspect #2. Why would the FBI not be following him right out of jail? So the Ray story was kinda important because it gave Elliot access to a computer to get the back door operation going. I could see the FBI being like, ok he is in lock up, good enough. But why would the FBI not be on top of him all the time? If the FBI does really have such a hard time following people in NYC, I suppose that the meeting between Joanna and Elliot could have slipped through the cracks. Does the FBI not think of Elliot as a threat or maybe just a white knight hacker?

Phase 2 involves blowing up a building and Elliot is upset about the idea of innocent people dying. I suppose the Mr Robot personality is past moral ambiguity; some eggs need to be scrambled to make an omlette. I think the unreliable narrator part is what really brought me into the show. Elliot knows that he is disjointed and wanted to take control back. Maybe a full actuated Elliot is awesome, full of charisma, knows all sorts of things from Seinfeld, to computing, to knowing obscure factoids. Could Angela and Tyrell be in love with a real Elliot that we have not yet seen?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I always thought Leon killing those dudes was part of Elliot's delusion. The way he killed them in that scene presented him like some kind of mystical ninja saving Elliot's life and was actually the first hint at things not being quite real in the prison if I recall correctly.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

3peat posted:

You should have been there for true detective season 1

I wasn't there to witness it but I heard people here were seriously convinced that CGI Chutullu would show up in the finale and bitchslap Woody Harrelson around. Not that I was very surprised after "Shannon was stabbed" ... but still :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All in all I've really enjoyed this season. I don't mind the slow pacing or unanswered questions because everything the show's done has given me the sense that a) they know the answers to their questions and b) they know when they're going to tell them. It just so happens that some of that stuff is 'not yet'. Even so this episode gave us answers to the big mysteries of this season: "is Tyrell alive?" and "What's Phase 2?" while giving us some great character work for Darlene, Angela, Trenton, Mobley, Price and Dom. Plus the cinematography still had plenty of stunning moments and the music was always on point. I think the main gripe people are having is that without "is Mr. Robot real?" dominating everything this season's been able to open up and reveal more of the show's full scope which is a bit of a clash from the smaller scale of S1.

And that scene where Tyrell's fake except lol nope is baller

• Locked thread