Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dropbear posted:

Is there really a point to spells in DQVII? Looks like some abilities do roughly the same amount of damage for no MP-cost, so you can just spam them instead while spellcasters run out and become wimpy stick-hitters.

At different stages of vocation progression different vocations have an edge due to when they unlock their set damage abilities or spells. But, because they're set damage they do fall off eventually and the higher set damage abilities do cost MP, more than spells. Magic class debuffs, support and healing are always good and are most of what magic classes should be doing, with the damage spells just there for off-turns. Some of the spells in the intermediate and advanced magic classes get set damage that outclasses the 0MP abilities as well. MP restoration is easy to come by by the time it's maybe needed.

At the end of the day though it's a DQ game so the real answer is do what's fun because you don't need to min-max it. This was true of the original and is even more true of the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How many hours in do jobs unlock?
Should I be using my seeds on The Hero or spreading out?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I don't want to spoil myself on future islands but I would like to know:

What is the absolute earliest point I can pick Maribel back up after she leaves. I'd like to ditch geezer and get her back asap.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Chapter 3 is my least favorite chapter but if you didn't like Chapter 2, you should quit now and move to DQ5 or DQ7. It was a NES game. It's a little primitive compared to what came after.

How are you playing it?

It's better on phone due to getting to hear the characters talk with party chat.

Yeah I got the phone version, because DQ1 made a pretty good running-on-the-treadmill game and I figured I'd run through the middle trilogy.

Party chat would have been way better if any of the non-Healie party members had any personality at all.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Nephzinho posted:

12-15 hours.

I'd recommend spreading them out. If you put too many seeds into a stat on a character it can impede stat growth. It's not till you get about 60+ above base, but it does hurt if you manage to do it and the class bonuses count toward that 60. Just be sure not to give any to Keifer, it's a waste.

insanityv2 posted:

I don't want to spoil myself on future islands but I would like to know:

What is the absolute earliest point I can pick Maribel back up after she leaves. I'd like to ditch geezer and get her back asap.

After you finish all the colored tablets, you will find two grey tablets. After all the story associated with those two are completed. It's quite a while.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 22, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

People are saying about 20. I'm 15 and haven't seen it yet but I'm unlocking the next island which could be Alltrades. It doesn't really matter who you use the seeds on but the hero is permanent so no point not buffing him up. I've basically been giving them to whoever has the lowest stat with terrible growth e.g. Maribel gets resistance seeds but most go to hero.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
It should be noted that there are more seeds in general in the 3DS version because the travelers tablets give them out as first time clear rewards but they didn't take any out of the main game.

Unlocking jobs took me like 20 hours.

If you want a sense of how far you are I can tell you that the islands immediately preceding Alltrades Abbey are Greenthumb Gardens and the Roamer Camp

Once a tablet unlocks one of them you'll know you're closeish.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Alright, I'm getting close. An island away. Sooooooooo far into the game to be getting to core mechanics still. I have a poo poo ton of seeds at this point, haven't used any. Will drop some resilience on Maribell, HP on Ruff, and Strength on Hero.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I don't know if I'd have the motivation to keep going with all silent protagonists.

I enjoyed it on DS, but I've never played a version with party chat.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just getting into all the Haven and tablet nonsense. The first tablet I completed gave me a shard that's pictured next to the tablet's name now. The second tablet just gave me a seed. Does completing them multiple times give you more items or just XP from killing the monsters?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, I haven't had any real chance to play the game yet, but before I get really started, I have two questions.

1. Did they fix the *Playable Characters spoilers!*Maribel being gone for basically ever and screwed once she gets back problem
and
2. As the game in the series that I personally hate the basic character designs in the most, did they make it so characters get new appearances on the field for their vocation?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

vocations change characters' appearances yes, and they are much quicker to level up. the intermediate and higher human vocations only grant skills while you're in that specific job but they've all been boosted to stand on their own now, so your first question shouldn't really be an issue anymore i think

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Nephzinho posted:

Sooooooooo far into the game to be getting to core mechanics still.

I'm 50 hours in and just unlocked the ability to get my own travellers tablets.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Yeah I got the phone version, because DQ1 made a pretty good running-on-the-treadmill game and I figured I'd run through the middle trilogy.

Party chat would have been way better if any of the non-Healie party members had any personality at all.

Really? You didn't think Alena had personality? She was always so excited and energetic. As you got nearer to the Endor tournament, almost all of her thoughts had exclamation points at the end as the old man in the group was worried and wondered where he went wrong. After she kicked the wall to her room down and escaped, she blamed the wall for being weak. She said she could carve sticks from her father's head. She called people rude for saying she was a tomboy. I love what party chat did to the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm still ages away from actually getting jobs in DQ7, but I was wondering how big a deal the "preferred" jobs for characters are. I read that (in generic RPG style) the dude is better at fighting and the lady is better at magic, but if anyone can be any job then does it matter that much?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

insanityv2 posted:

I'm 50 hours in and just unlocked the ability to get my own travellers tablets.

I wish more people would hurry up and get to this. Rather frustrating it's mandatory for the immigrant town.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Really? You didn't think Alena had personality? She was always so excited and energetic. As you got nearer to the Endor tournament, almost all of her thoughts had exclamation points at the end as the old man in the group was worried and wondered where he went wrong. After she kicked the wall to her room down and escaped, she blamed the wall for being weak. She said she could carve sticks from her father's head. She called people rude for saying she was a tomboy. I love what party chat did to the game.

I dunno, it just didn't do anything for me! The over-use of accents doesn't help with readability either.

I know DQ's localizations can be super good, DQ8 charmed my pants off back on the PS2. Maybe it's unfair of me to compare DQ4 to such an adorable game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The phonetic accents, are good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Your Computer posted:

I'm still ages away from actually getting jobs in DQ7, but I was wondering how big a deal the "preferred" jobs for characters are. I read that (in generic RPG style) the dude is better at fighting and the lady is better at magic, but if anyone can be any job then does it matter that much?

Equipment choices are decided by character instead of by job, and jobs themselves give a percent adjustment to stats. So on one hand, Hero will generally be better at stabbing fools than Maribel. On the other hand, a lot of skills and spells actually have a fixed damage range, so her lower offensive stats won't matter in many cases. Her biggest advantage is probably her huge MP. Just make sure to teach her a good heal and maybe some buffs/debuffs, because she can has enough MP to take advantage of those regardless of class.

Teach your next party member some support skills too, his MP isn't great but he's the fastest character you'll have.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

EightFlyingCars posted:

I dunno, it just didn't do anything for me! The over-use of accents doesn't help with readability either.

I know DQ's localizations can be super good, DQ8 charmed my pants off back on the PS2. Maybe it's unfair of me to compare DQ4 to such an adorable game.

The ridiculous accents in DQ8 work better there, because of all the voice-acting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I enjoy the accents in Dragon Quest because in every other RPG ever, you travel the world and everyone else has the same accent. Different accents liven things up, even if they can be cartoonish sometimes. The Dragon Quest localizers at least seem to try to keep them grounded without being stereotypical.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I enjoy them up to the point where they get too thick for me to understand when glancing through the written lines.

Looking at you, Chapter 1 of DQ4.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm not a fan of the accents. I just try to auto correct it in my head. It works. When I read that second picture above, I'm thinking the word "the" as I'm reading it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I don't mind the accents. I particularly like DQ7's L'Arca, but that's because I'm half Italian. :v:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

LostRook posted:

If you put too many seeds into a stat on a character it can impede stat growth. It's not till you get about 60+ above base, but it does hurt if you manage to do it and the class bonuses count toward that 60.

On the other hand, if you have and have used that many seeds then they don't really need the growth that got impeded. It doesn't hurt at all, especially considering how easy seeds are to come by in this game. Maybe if you want to get everybody to 999 you'll save peanuts in time if you wait to use them but otherwise you're wasting both time and energy stressing over a non-thing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I know spanish and reading through Sancho's dialogue was excruciating at times.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The French island in DQ7 is practically unreadable.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think 5 was the only one where they didn't do a great job with the accents and puns. But that was a different localization team than the rest, wasn't it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The accents in this game are prima, great, don't you agree?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TurnipFritter posted:

The French island in DQ7 is practically unreadable.

Yep, I had to use party chat to figure out where I was supposed to be.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
So where exactly do I use these tombola tickets?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is the ps1 monster class tree still valid?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Unlocked Vocations at 17 hours and 10 minutes. :toot:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Should I play 3 or 7 next? 3 is about 20-30 hours right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember close to 70 on my gameboy because the postgame is pretty big?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Should I play 3 or 7 next? 3 is about 20-30 hours right?

3 is around 30, unless you go crazy with collecting monster medals or grinding for the superboss (don't).

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

so is the ps1 monster class tree still valid?

Yes, all of the class trees are still valid just the names are different but should be obvious. They might have actually increased the number of battles for monster class mastery? On the other hand, hearts are easier to come by via tablets.

edit: v Its success rate is the same as the drop rate on the item, which is to say still super low. You get things more often if you're actually a thief or pirate since they have a passive steal effect that can have a higher rate. Think of klepto-klobber as allowing you to roll the dice more times at a low rate whereas being a thief or pirate gives you an extra higher-rate roll after every fight.

Decus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 23, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Does Klepto Clobber ever work? I think I tried using it as one character's main attack for a quarter of the game and I never noticed actually stealing an item along with the attack.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, this time for real. What vocations should I choose to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok, this time for real. What vocations should I choose to begin with?

shepard gives you an ability to reduce damage from breath attacks, priest has a rez spell at the end, and sailor tops off with a 0mp hit everything on screen ability for 40-50 damage. those are all pretty useful to have.
mage and fighter are solid do-more-damage choices, thief has some nice quality of life treasure hunting spells. I haven't seen what they've done with dancer, jester, and troubadour but i'm guessing status effects. warrior is just kind of there. not bad, but nothing too special.