Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Lethal Weapon was enjoyable as hell. I knew a lot of the beats of the pilot coming in from watching the 4 minute trailer way back when, but the moment when Murtaugh drove the truck into the warehouse was the cherry on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kraps posted:

Designated Survivor was pretty good except for that ridiculous general. Yes, what the country needs at that moment is a coup, genius. Why don't shows know how to write loyal opposition instead of retarded idiots?

Designated Survivor was really good and everyone should watch it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

Lethal Weapon was enjoyable as hell. I knew a lot of the beats of the pilot coming in from watching the 4 minute trailer way back when, but the moment when Murtaugh drove the truck into the warehouse was the cherry on top.

Are there any martial arts in it? I didn't see any at all in the ads.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I made a thread for designated survivor
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791466

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Any Given Wednesday with Bill Simmons has changed its format again. Last night's episode was filmed in front of a live audience (though it sounded like there was maybe 20-30 people in the studio, not quite sure if that qualifies as an audience) I really don't know what format has worked best but I wish they'd just fuggin pick one at this point. That being said, I wasn't a fan of the live audience format, it was probably the most awkward one they've tried so far.

The interviews are still good and interesting enough to catch up on Thursday morning while I play Two Dots on my phone, so whatever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope MacGyver tomorrow is as good as you are saying LW is.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lethal Weapon's first episode was fantastic but seeing as how this is a action oriented police procedural and that this is the pilot episode I'll reserve judgment for another few episodes. I'm still bitter about Limitless being garbage between episode 2-8 and then becoming great again when it's way too loving late.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I hope MacGyver tomorrow is as good as you are saying LW is.

It won't be, good that is, at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

It won't be, good that is, at all.

Well strap up your britches and iron out your panty hose because we got another remake coming down the pipe:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/magnum-pi-sequel-works-at-931861

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Let's give it up for Gerald McRaney casually owning the three scenes he was in like the seasoned pro he is.

I don't know how he did it but I'm still surprised by how dominant he was in Deadwood, a cavalcade of domineering alpha males.

Sober posted:

He was the doctor right?

Like honestly this is probably one of the best pilots I can remember, and the last one I absolutely adored was Red Band Society.

Yeah what happened there? Worth tracking down the rest of the first (and I think only) season? Any sense of closure?

EDIT:

xcore posted:

Yeah, the question was more aimed at thread as I remember you saying a few pages ago that you haven't seen Black sails.

Don't bother looking poo poo up, at least on Wikipedia. Vikings is set that long ago that there is barely any historical record to go by. Apart from "how did Ragnar die" (which could quite easily change in the show anyway) there isn't much at all listed about his exploits (although post-Ragnar Viking stuff looks quite cool, so I hope the show continues beyond his death)

Wasn't there a Norse colony in Paris tho? Never watched Vikings, but I remember learning that in a museum once.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 22, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Well strap up your britches and iron out your panty hose because we got another remake coming down the pipe:

God, this is getting worse than movies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wish Bakula was free so they can start Quantum Leap again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Wasn't there a Norse colony in Paris tho? Never watched Vikings, but I remember learning that in a museum once.

Vikings did raid Francia and Emperor Charles the Bald did repel them more than once, including by having to pay them to leave, just like in the show. Some of the changes from history are just weird though.

Like, it turns out Judith is a real historical person. Only, in reality, she wasn't the daughter of King Aelle, she was the daughter of Emperor Charles. She did marry Aethelwulf and everything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is Hell on Wheels bad?

First 3 seasons are up and down. Just when you want to give up there will be a great episode that will keep you going. Then around the end of S3 or early S4 it plummets into the abyss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenNight posted:

"Rogers will pen the script and executive produce alongside his Kung Fu Monkey topper Jennifer Court. " Is that a sex thing?

Also unrelated to the actual info in the article, when they have a g in italics (for example in Magnum so I see it a lot) the right side is missing. Looks kinda like a c-cedilla. Is that a kerning problem on their end or is my browser being weird?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 22, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

I don't know how he did it but I'm still surprised by how dominant he was in Deadwood, a cavalcade of domineering alpha males.

Hearing that Gerald McRaney was going to be on Deadwood before I saw it I felt like "Eh, that could be interesting" and then he's there and it's like "How did this show even exist without this guy" because he was that drat amazing. I mean I'd seen enough of him at that point that I knew adding him was a good idea because he was good, but then he showed up and completely blew every expectation away. I mean on a show literally built on superior acting it's kind of hard to be a standout, and he was definitely that.

That final scene with him and Milo Ventimiglia on the first episode of This Is Us was like that. He's so very good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bruceski posted:

"Rogers will pen the script and executive produce alongside his Kung Fu Monkey topper Jennifer Court. "

Is that a sex thing?

Kung Fu Monkey is his production company's name.

And gently caress it - I'm getting tired of remakes too, but I can bear it to see John Rogers with a budget again. The Player was stupid-fun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Player was another fun show that was criminally short lived.

Would have done well on USA or TNT.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

MiddleOne posted:

Lethal Weapon's first episode was fantastic but seeing as how this is a action oriented police procedural and that this is the pilot episode I'll reserve judgment for another few episodes. I'm still bitter about Limitless being garbage between episode 2-8 and then becoming great again when it's way too loving late.
Personally I never take an action show's choreography and pacing or anything else by the pilot alone. That thing had months to stew and be worked on and fine tuned. I'm more concerned with how they continue when they have much less time to put things together with their season order.

In fact I would say that should be true of any show. But I guess it's a hard ask of people to give every show 2, 4, 10, 13 episodes to get into their groove.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Vikings combines events that happened many decades apart and people that lived many decades apart so everything can take place during one TV show.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lycus posted:

Vikings combines events that happened many decades apart and people that lived many decades apart so everything can take place during one TV show.

sounds like a copycat of This is Us

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I made a thread where I essentially just stole the new premieres list from the TV Calendar to give people a concise place to give feedback on what's good and what isn't. I know threads don't get started for a lot of the smaller shows these days, and if only two people watch something and mention it in here it'll tend to get lost amongst the general chatter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791517

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I really liked the Grinder

:smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I made a thread where I essentially just stole the new premieres list from the TV Calendar to give people a concise place to give feedback on what's good and what isn't. I know threads don't get started for a lot of the smaller shows these days, and if only two people watch something and mention it in here it'll tend to get lost amongst the general chatter.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791517

This I like.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

wormil posted:

First 3 seasons are up and down. Just when you want to give up there will be a great episode that will keep you going. Then around the end of S3 or early S4 it plummets into the abyss.

Did they (possible spoilers)kill off the best character (The Swede)? He was the only reason I continued to watch for two seasons

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

Did they (possible spoilers)kill off the best character (The Swede)? He was the only reason I continued to watch for two seasons

He didn't die until halfway through season 5.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If I recall, the thing with the Swede is that he kept surviving ridiculously because they wanted to keep him around.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Netflix just put up a new series called Easy, an anthology relationship dramedy that's very much in the Duplass brothers vein. (It's from the director of Drinking Buddies, if that gets your attention.) I'm about two episodes in and it's fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DivisionPost posted:

Netflix just put up a new series called Easy, an anthology relationship dramedy that's very much in the Duplass brothers vein. (It's from the director of Drinking Buddies, if that gets your attention.) I'm about two episodes in and it's fantastic.

Drinking Buddies was terrible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, the series peaked at Space Buddies, I feel like there wasn't much the Air Buddies could do to top that one.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven't watched Black-ish since the first few episodes of the first season, but thought a premiere would be a fun time to jump in. Got treated to a 30 minute advert for ABCs parent company as they enjoyed a VIP trip to Disney World. Yay!

I think it must be some kind of mandate for ABC sitcoms to have at least one episode where they go to Disney World. Didn't they do that for like every show back in the TGIF era?

IRQ posted:

God, this is getting worse than movies.

I'm gonna be sad when they inevitably try to remake The Rockford Files.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 22, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GreenNight posted:

I'm sold.

GreenNight posted:

I wish Bakula was free so they can start Quantum Leap again.

I've been sold since the rumored reboot on Sci Fi, but it seemed like they took Sliders instead.

But what I really, really want after all these years is the Quantum Leap/Magnum PI crossover that's been rumored since before that

Some text that's been on the internet for forever posted:

"It was originally intended for there to be an episode of the science fiction program Quantum Leap where main character Sam Beckett leaps into the body of Thomas Magnum. The episode would have Beckett (played by Scott Bakula) stumbling through a day-in-the-life of Magnum, P.I., and presumably interacting with the varied series regulars. Both Magnum P.I. and Quantum Leap were produced by Donald P. Bellisario. Plans for a Magnum, P.I. movie led to the early demise of the crossover, but some footage was filmed; namely, the end-of-episode "jumping in" scene, in which Beckett jumps into Magnum's body, turns to the camera, and raises his eyebrows the same way Selleck made famous."

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sober posted:

Personally I never take an action show's choreography and pacing or anything else by the pilot alone.

For sure, they always pack a pilot like Lethal Weapon with tons of stunts and action. Week to week won't be on the same level, just look at the average ep of something like Hawaii five-0 or Blindspot for what network action can produce. But at least the characters show signs of potential to still be a fun watch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I watched This Is Us twice before I noticed that Toby was played by Chris Sullivan (The Knick, Stranger Things) because he's completely unrecognizable clean shaven and wearing a fat suit.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
So Pitch Doesn't suck so far. Another Dan Fogleman creation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah that was another one that caught my eye from the upfront trailers. I had no idea Fogelman was behind that one too.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Oh! Fogleman with the last minute twist again!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That show has Dan Lauria, Michael Beach, and Mark-Paul Gosselaar (who long ago on NYPD Blue showed he was way better than his mot well known role) so I was bound to watch it anyway. Hearing Fogelman is doing it just drives that home.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for Designated Survivor?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is there a thread for Designated Survivor?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791466

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks

• Locked thread