Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5787990038.html

How terrible of an idea is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

How terrible of an idea is this

It's no Velvet Hammer, but still a pretty nice car. I'd have it taken to a dealer before touching it, but if it checked out I'd snag it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Maybe I'll hold out for a real nice Cressida

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad North American MX83s never had a manual transmission but it's a lovely car regardless. I still see them from time to time.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

KakerMix posted:

Someone talk me down
If you are planning to pay someone to fix it stay well away, if you are going to do it yourself you will need a lot of additions to the standard set of tools, things like external torx are just the tip of the iceberg.
Have a laptop with a dongle and a copy of Rheingold handy, diagnostics are basically impossible without it.
Tons of stupid little poo poo is gonna fail so if you are OCD about no error messages or missing features steer clear.
Mine(an auto) with similar mileage just needed the transfer case actuator worm gear replaced, they tend to fail at over 120k. It's a $350 part or $60 if you just get the gear from a dude on ebay that makes them and are comfortable sawing the old one off and pressing the new one on. It also involves dropping the entire exhaust, all skid plates, transmission support subframe and some other crap.
Check the aluminum torque to yeild head bolts, they all break but mostly the two under the cam gears that require special tools and removal of the cam chain and gears to replace. A good indicator is an oil leak at the front top of the engine and a broken external headbolt in front of the intake manifold.
The wagons have air suspension in the back, they leak and the pumps fail, parts are expensive.
The early idrive is crazy terrible and makes adjusting the heater or finding a different radio station a chore. It also won't keep the monitor off by default so I had to set a button on the steering wheel so I can turn it off every time I start the car. The lowest brightness setting is way to bright for night driving.
Half the cars computers and relays are under the spare tire where water draining from the sunroof leaks, they are also crazy expensive to replace.
The Panoramic sunroof is pretty fragile. The powdercoat on the rims fails leading to mystery tire leaks. The battery charging system is massively overcomplex and will often just decide to not charge even though the battery and alternator are fine.
Don't expect it to be a huge amount of fun to drive, the 4wd and traction control computers keep things docile and can't be entirely deactivated without the rest of the electronics going ape-poo poo.

On the plus side after fixing all this and much more mine is now a reliable daily driver that is comfortable to haul the family and dog, even on long trips and for the age and price is good on both passive and active safety. My Wife and Mother both love to drive it and it has one of the best stock speaker systems I've heard. But if I had it all to do again I'd just get a forester xt.

Seriously BMW, why can I not just have a 118d 4 door hatch with a stick, manual cloth seats and no options in North America? All I want is a family hauler that drives like a proper car.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?
It's a Jagular

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/cto/5794010473.html

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Craigslist Idiot posted:

Has to many details to list

I am so tired of that line. No it does not, rear end in a top hat. Are you even trying to sell?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Bibendum posted:

If you are planning to pay someone to fix it stay well away, if you are going to do it yourself you will need a lot of additions to the standard set of tools, things like external torx are just the tip of the iceberg.
Have a laptop with a dongle and a copy of Rheingold handy, diagnostics are basically impossible without it.
Tons of stupid little poo poo is gonna fail so if you are OCD about no error messages or missing features steer clear.
Mine(an auto) with similar mileage just needed the transfer case actuator worm gear replaced, they tend to fail at over 120k. It's a $350 part or $60 if you just get the gear from a dude on ebay that makes them and are comfortable sawing the old one off and pressing the new one on. It also involves dropping the entire exhaust, all skid plates, transmission support subframe and some other crap.
Check the aluminum torque to yeild head bolts, they all break but mostly the two under the cam gears that require special tools and removal of the cam chain and gears to replace. A good indicator is an oil leak at the front top of the engine and a broken external headbolt in front of the intake manifold.
The wagons have air suspension in the back, they leak and the pumps fail, parts are expensive.
The early idrive is crazy terrible and makes adjusting the heater or finding a different radio station a chore. It also won't keep the monitor off by default so I had to set a button on the steering wheel so I can turn it off every time I start the car. The lowest brightness setting is way to bright for night driving.
Half the cars computers and relays are under the spare tire where water draining from the sunroof leaks, they are also crazy expensive to replace.
The Panoramic sunroof is pretty fragile. The powdercoat on the rims fails leading to mystery tire leaks. The battery charging system is massively overcomplex and will often just decide to not charge even though the battery and alternator are fine.
Don't expect it to be a huge amount of fun to drive, the 4wd and traction control computers keep things docile and can't be entirely deactivated without the rest of the electronics going ape-poo poo.

On the plus side after fixing all this and much more mine is now a reliable daily driver that is comfortable to haul the family and dog, even on long trips and for the age and price is good on both passive and active safety. My Wife and Mother both love to drive it and it has one of the best stock speaker systems I've heard. But if I had it all to do again I'd just get a forester xt.

Seriously BMW, why can I not just have a 118d 4 door hatch with a stick, manual cloth seats and no options in North America? All I want is a family hauler that drives like a proper car.

My dad had one and this pretty much sums up his experience, he loved driving it (so did I) but the repair costs started to get out of hand so he sold it and bought a newer preowned BMW with a warranty

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

You almost got a bingo on that one..

"one of a kind"
"invested"
"95% done"
"too much to list"

All it needs is a "OBO... NO LOWBALLERS NO TIRE KICKERS" and "I know what I have"

e; oh, and "350 from a corvette"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is it really a Beetle?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Thanks, you've given me plenty to go 'nah' to that car. Someone else will get it and enjoy it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

If that's really a XK150, then he's hacked up a very valuable car.

However it looks like a 1960s S Type

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

If that's really a XK150, then he's hacked up a very valuable car.

However it looks like a 1960s S Type

convertibles are worth $100k+, fixedheads are around $20k because they look like dog poo poo.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My friend did that to his years ago and then the windows got shot out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Looks like something from a Burnout game.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm honestly shocked it doesn't have GTR badges covering every visible surface.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm still a little shocked at how many shitheads the old G35's attract

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Here's my friends G35. It's horrible but he's a wonderful guy so I can't explain his taste. I think he has a very clean and stock Audi now.

Small album. He has like 800 pics detailing the full build that I could snag if anyone cared, despite being gaudy it's well done.
http://imgur.com/a/P1M1L

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah but did it have a Black costom brek bongo and kenwood navegasion?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/5773765727.html

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It looks like it had a stroke.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Those bright red hotel style awnings over the complete set of revoltingly mismatched windows on that mcmansion? An extremely terrible idea, yes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Leperflesh posted:

Those bright red hotel style awnings over the complete set of revoltingly mismatched windows on that mcmansion? An extremely terrible idea, yes.

You owe it to yourself to check out Mcmansion Hell on tumblr if you haven't already.

I have no opinion on the Merc since the ad's gone, but it looks purdy.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5756915686.html

quote:

Have for sale today my Toyota Supra, was running fine till i blew the head gasket on it. Havent had any time to fix it and therefore has been sitting for a while. Has had timing belt done, spark plugs, oil change, igniter and a tune up. Feel free to contact if you have any questions!

Also, due to the car being inoperable, car will have to be towed at buyers expense!

Price is set at 1000$ O.B.O, feel free to send an offer! Contact me at show contact info or show contact info
ask for Raul

Sure Raul its just a head gasket....that came from the factory under torqued and you never torqued it up?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The map is kinda funny too.
buyer must remove car from lake SERIUS OFFERS ONLY

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

RAN WHEN PARKED
(the owner, he didn't want to catch a DUI)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5802357274.html

real gold?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This would be super gold if it wasnt for that rust spot.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5799131730.html

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm more worried about the lack of picture for the right side.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://grandisland.craigslist.org/cto/5799021298.html

Clean euro import 1982 280SE

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not gold but interesting mint example of the car that bankrupted Citroen: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5808232085.html

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blk posted:

Not gold but interesting mint example of the car that bankrupted Citroen: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5808232085.html

Those loving seats....so good

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

Probably the dude who bought it from eBay trying to get out from under it.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/12/24/looong-wheelbase-1986-citroen-cx-25-prestige-in-the-usa/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what the venn diagram overlap for "guys with a half million burning a hole in their pocket" and "Guys looking through craigslist for a car" are, but I still wanna offer them an Xbox 360 and $800 for it.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
so cute :3:

which reminds me, i saw a mitsubishi delica(?) in Philly the other day and now I really want one

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Going by the serial # those were made in Germany? I had no idea.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Slim Pickens posted:

I don't know what the venn diagram overlap for "guys with a half million burning a hole in their pocket" and "Guys looking through craigslist for a car" are, but I still wanna offer them an Xbox 360 and $800 for it.

"take trade for 1996 integra"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

so cute :3:

which reminds me, i saw a mitsubishi delica(?) in Philly the other day and now I really want one

You should get this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
On a rare/oddball vehicle like that, what happens when a rock hits your windshield and you need a new one? Ebay?