Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

gnoma posted:

For visuals, I like the deep grand reef. Long glass hallways, multiple two-story aquariums, blood vines in external planters and a bunch of tank-bred ampeels released outside. Full on alien weirdness.

I'd like to see pics of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was referring to the Cyclops being unable to hold both the Seamoth and Prawn. I haven't yet found any real reason to go below 900 meters, and i half expect the Cyclops would explode because it is constantly bumping into thing and taking damage.

The Seamoth has virtually unlimited power with the solar cells, can go fast and is much much more manoeuvrable, they should just find a way to combine it with the Prawn in sort sort of transformers style vehicle.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oasx posted:

The Seamoth has virtually unlimited power with the solar cells, can go fast and is much much more manoeuvrable, they should just find a way to combine it with the Prawn in sort sort of transformers style vehicle.

That would be awesome.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oasx posted:

Can't wait to accidentally hit spacebar to transform in the Lava Zone and get crushed into a sardine tin.

edit: The February column of the Trello page has been removed. :unsmith:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 17, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I set up in the big mushroom forest and it looks really nice but the LOD and render distance causes a fair share of collisions on my way back home. Also once in a while a jerkass crabsquid thing will wonder over and I'll have to ram it a couple times to get it to gently caress off.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Met posted:

Can't wait to accidentally hit spacebar to transform in the Lava Zone and get crushed into a sardine tin.

I really like the old concept art exosuit that looked more like a seamoth with limbs, rather than an upright cylinder with limbs.

Oh man. Entirely unrelated old game, but that reminds me of WURM on the NES.

You had a drill tank that eventually unlocked a hover mode, and jet transformation. There were also top down shooter segments. And if you transformed into the tank while over lava or a pit, it would kill you :downs:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Obviously we need to just combine the two concepts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any major drawback to making a gigantic gently caress-off tower of vertical connectors aside from the hit to hull integrity? There's a really deep chasm near my base that I want to connect down to so I don't have to swim up so far to refill my oxygen tanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Danaru posted:

Is there any major drawback to making a gigantic gently caress-off tower of vertical connectors aside from the hit to hull integrity? There's a really deep chasm near my base that I want to connect down to so I don't have to swim up so far to refill my oxygen tanks.

It'll use a lot of titanium, you may find it more practical to use the air pipes, that's what they're for.

Though building the vertical connectors will let you teleport down there with a ladder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Danaru posted:

Always build hubris palaces.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

OwlFancier posted:

It'll use a lot of titanium, you may find it more practical to use the air pipes, that's what they're for.

Though building the vertical connectors will let you teleport down there with a ladder.

Good call on the pipes, although honestly I have multiple lockers worth of titanium, so that's not a big issue :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Slather hull reinforcement plates all over your base on anything that doesn't need a window or door, and you should probably be set. Hull plates are way stronger than the token bit of reinforcement foundations or bulkheads give. Hull reinforcements are also stronger when used in MP rooms, though I guess that's to make up for them having less spots to put em/taking more integrity in the first place.

A ladder tube would definitely save you the swimming since giant vertical connectors with ladders (which can only attach to corridors) just teleport you from top to bottom last I used em.

Also, all you need for air is a room with power. So as long as the hull is strong enough, you can just build minimalist hideaways with a bioreactor in the middle of nowhere, or solar if it's still not deep enough to permanently block out the sun. Which itself, is often more practical than air pipes unless it's not actually all that deep. But I like it because I can also shove proper lockers down there that way.

A single corridor with a hatch and solar panel has served me well anywhere with the slightest bit of sun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 17, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Foundations look poo poo too. Hull reinforcement wherever possible.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

Also, all you need for air is a room with power. So as long as the hull is strong enough, you can just build minimalist hideaways with a bioreactor in the middle of nowhere, or solar if it's still not deep enough to permanently block out the sun. Which itself, is often more practical than air pipes unless it's not actually all that deep. But I like it because I can also shove proper lockers down there that way.

A single corridor with a hatch and solar panel has served me well anywhere with the slightest bit of sun.

You can also use power transmitters to beam solar power down into the abyss.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Met posted:

Foundations look poo poo too. Hull reinforcement wherever possible.

The main thing I've used foundations for is as a solar panel farm, and to make the part of my current "hanging off a cliff" base that is on the seabed.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is Experimental mode gone? Just started a new game and didn't see the option anywhere.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is Experimental mode gone? Just started a new game and didn't see the option anywhere.

Experimental mode is enabled outside of the game by right-clicking on the game's name, selecting properties->betas->experimental, and having automatic updates on. It's not something you select inside the game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Looks like the transfuser may be getting cut. There's no longer a "Transfuser" update and the card for implementation of the transfuser got moved to "Maybe".

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Looks like the transfuser may be getting cut. There's no longer a "Transfuser" update and the card for implementation of the transfuser got moved to "Maybe".

I can understand that. The stuff you can do with it is neat, but it doesn't really slot into the overarching goal they have planned for release. A version of the game where it IS central would be kinda interesting though. Instead of building the Exo or subs, you have to run around sampling native creatures and genetically modifying yourself to the point you can swim in the extreme environments of the planet's core.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 21, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh man, I hope it doesn't get cut. I'm really looking forward to the shenanigans hinted at.

Maybe it'd be easier to code if the Transfuser only worked on the player, and not any wildlife you shot darts at?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
pointless post

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Terraforming, Multiplayer, Tranfusing. An entire month was knocked off the roadmap on Trello. Sounds like they're making some hard decisions for crunch time to get the game to 1.0

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

What was transfusing going to do?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You could use the DNA from ocean life to give yourself or other creatures buffs or debuffs?

Here's the DNA Page on the Wiki. You can also search for the Transfuser there.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Got an email this morning that the Dangerous Creatures update finally hit which reminds me that I've never found the Lava Zone or Lost River. Where should I be looking for that? I want to check it out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
According to the website, Warpers can apparently teleport you outside of your vehicles?

Seems legit.

I wonder if we'll see any hotfixes for it's ability to gate in predators accidentally spawning Sea Dragons, or if we'll get to see something funny like summoning peepers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm assuming this is a "you should probably restart your map" update, yes?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If it is, the game will tell you when you try to start a save.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Got an email this morning that the Dangerous Creatures update finally hit which reminds me that I've never found the Lava Zone or Lost River. Where should I be looking for that? I want to check it out.

Deep Grand Reef should link into the Lost River, though which part of it I'm not sure.

The ILZ has a few entrances, and all of them are in Reaper Country.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Reaper Country seems to have expanded. I was setting up my initial base on the southern border of the safe reefs around the thermal vent and as soon as I crossed over into the grassy plateaus a big guy clipped through some geometry and swallowed me whole.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started a fresh map just for the heck of it, and there were a few new things I didn't see mentioned in the patch notes: Seaglide and Seamoth fragments now actually look like parts of the Seaglide and Seamoth, and I found a radsuit and helmet outside Pod 6.

Pod 6 is still jerks, though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Just explored the deep lava and couldn't find a single sea dragon. Warpers everywhere though. They seem to just spawn in the local predators for the biome.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Dyz posted:

Just explored the deep lava and couldn't find a single sea dragon. Warpers everywhere though. They seem to just spawn in the local predators for the biome.

Can warpers harm you if you're inside the Cyclops? My other question (the burning question) is: what are you supposed to do against these things? They warp you out of your seamoth/PRAWN and can't be stasis orb'd, which is regrettably my default method of dealing with hostile sea life and monsters alike.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dyz posted:

Just explored the deep lava and couldn't find a single sea dragon.

He was hard to miss when I got down there last night.

The power-draining worms are extremely annoying when you're in the Cyclops. You keep getting out and pulling them off, and they come right back as soon as you're back inside.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Vasler posted:

Can warpers harm you if you're inside the Cyclops? My other question (the burning question) is: what are you supposed to do against these things? They warp you out of your seamoth/PRAWN and can't be stasis orb'd, which is regrettably my default method of dealing with hostile sea life and monsters alike.
throw things at them with a propulsion gun.

Also, ghostrays bestrays :3::

(I spawned a shitload of them around my base with the console. Also a couple of the red version, which are a lot less cute).

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 23, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I hope the ghostrays get eggs so I can breed beautiful armies of ghost and jelly rays to release everywhere.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

U.T. Raptor posted:

throw things at them with a propulsion gun.

Also, ghostrays bestrays :3::

(I spawned a shitload of them around my base with the console. Also a couple of the red version, which are a lot less cute).

Is that a new glass roof section or has that always been there?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Okan170 posted:

Is that a new glass roof section or has that always been there?

I think that's the top of the observatory module. There's still concept art for a glass roof and bottom for the multipurpose room though.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Is there some trick to finding the modification terminal and moon pool fragments? Can't find any of them and it's aggravating as hell to be stuck at 200 meters. I've found stillsuit blueprint and a bunch of cyclops and prawn part BPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pikey posted:

Is there some trick to finding the modification terminal and moon pool fragments? Can't find any of them and it's aggravating as hell to be stuck at 200 meters. I've found stillsuit blueprint and a bunch of cyclops and prawn part BPs

Have you tried checking wrecks around the mountain? You might also get lucky around the Dunes, Blood Kelp Zone, and Grand Reef but I'm pretty sure you want to be around the mountain.

Watch out for the Reapers.