Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yesterday Gumball made a power rangers parody

Except this is not a power rangers parody.
This is far, far nerdier.

The heads of these suits are from Bioman, the 1984 super sentai series, down to the earphone style details on the sides, plus the arms and legs match too. Also when they pretend to morph they use the exact same "henshin device" on their wrists and go through a similar sequence. But the bodies don't match, did they just make something up?

No, these suits have a white scarf, a white v pattern, and a yellow emblem, and so they match Sun Vulcan, the 1981 sentai series, the fifth one ever aired. Power Rangers came from the 16th series, Zyuranger, from 1992.

So basically, they made a reference to two series, at once, that no kid will ever recognize, no one with 80s or 90s nostalgia will pick up on, and no one else will either, probably not even anime club regulars. They've won the obscure reference game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

An animator union blog had revealed a few months back that both OK KO (which is what Lakewood Plaza Turbo is called now) and Long Live the Royals are getting full series

Wait, wasn't that just a miniseries from last year?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and I guess it got greenlit for a full series.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Speaking (indirectly) of OK KO I found that video I was talking about here:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I can't find the video now but apparently it was being used as a guinea pig for some weird marketing idea CN was going for by establishing a lot of the spin off stuff before the show itself (one CN exec was going on about "interactive worlds" or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ou6MyZ5lmE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It looks like Cartoon Network's just gonna run out the entirety of Regular Show's final season Summer of Steven style.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It looks like Cartoon Network's just gonna run out the entirety of Regular Show's final season Summer of Steven style.
I've long since stopped trying to make sense of CN's scheduling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The first Stevenbomb being a success is the worst thing that's happened to Cartoon Network in the last like 6 years. It seemed like they had gotten over it and were trying to do weekly episodes again for a bit, but nope.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

The first Stevenbomb being a success is the worst thing that's happened to Cartoon Network in the last like 6 years. It seemed like they had gotten over it and were trying to do weekly episodes again for a bit, but nope.

Actually it started with an Adventure Time bomb around thanksgiving the year prior after that show's first long hiatus (they even had a simultaneous clarence/UG bomb that december, still piror to the first steven bomb)

Maybe it started with Over the Garden Wall, now that I think about it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Arguably they have enough shows where semi-regular bombage is possible...

But with them giving RS/Gumball the axe, well, I guess I hope Magiswords spawns some hits?

I think the execs see this as the best viable path to keeping eyeballs away from streaming secondhand. Because the concept of a weekly schedule that makes sense hasn't been a thing since streaming started.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Not sure if anyone's interested (I know I am) but Cartoon Networks has released the airing dates for the rest of Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!'s first season episodes. Basically, it will begin again on October 1st and then continue on weekly.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I never actually watched that one. Is it as bad as it looks?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

paradoxGentleman posted:

No, but then again it looked like poo poo, so that's not saying much. It was actually ok. Better than any other non-Mysteries Inc series.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rudoku posted:

No, but then again it looked like poo poo, so that's not saying much. It was actually ok. Better than any other non-Mysteries Inc series.

Bring Back Mystery Inc. that was solid television in its own right and a work of art (Harlan Ellison's influence?).

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's actually good. Probably the best series to use the strict scooby-doo formula to date. The designs aren't as bad in motion (except for Velma's, I can't stand her design) and the humor often works. Mystery Inc. is still the best Scooby-Doo series, but then again, it's closer to Gravity Falls than to Scooby-Doo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that last Scooby Doo wasn't great but it's still probably the second best Scooby Doo, way behind Mystery Inc and slightly better than Pup. As was mentioned, the designs were better in motion and it's one of the only versions of the show I can think of that did anything with Daphne. They also have Kate Micucci voicing Velma and it's hard to hate anything with her in it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I would have liked to see them solving mysteries at Miskatonic University and unmasking Cthulhu as Harlan Ellison (or some other famous real author).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

X_Toad posted:

It's actually good. Probably the best series to use the strict scooby-doo formula to date. The designs aren't as bad in motion (except for Velma's, I can't stand her design) and the humor often works. Mystery Inc. is still the best Scooby-Doo series, but then again, it's closer to Gravity Falls than to Scooby-Doo.

Did loving Harlan Ellison work on Mystery Inc???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He was a guest star.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sockser posted:

Did loving Harlan Ellison work on Mystery Inc???

He was in Mystery Inc.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Argue posted:

I would have liked to see them solving mysteries at Miskatonic University and unmasking Cthulhu as Harlan Ellison (or some other famous real author).

Of all the things that use and sometimes abuse Cthulhu mythos, Scooby Doo seems like one of the few to not abuse it.

Too be fair, they already had a Lovecraft paatiche

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Harlan Ellison was God or something in the end. Lewis Black and Udo Kier are in it too. poo poo's dope.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Mystery Inc also tied together several Hanna Barbera properties in a pretty fun way. (for instance, in season 2 the Scoobies team up with Blue Falcon and Dynomutt to fight Dr Zinn, the nemesis of the Quest family. Dynomutt himself has his origin tied to the Quests.) And I don't care how that episode ended, the Mystery Team Finals episode is completely canon to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

Harlan Ellison was God or something in the end.
Harlan was given able to perceive changes in the dimensional fabric of the Mystery Inc universe. Because he's a super awesome and creative writer.

Whether this elevated him to a Galactus-level being, or a god... well that's up to you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Harlan was given able to perceive changes in the dimensional fabric of the Mystery Inc universe. Because he's a super awesome and creative writer.

Whether this elevated him to a Galactus-level being, or a god... well that's up to you.

Doesn't he talk to them over their radio and tell them their destiny?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

No, that's Lewis Black.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Senerio posted:

No, that's Lewis Black.

In the final scene of the last episode, I mean.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

Doesn't he talk to them over their radio and tell them their destiny?
He kind of says "a dimensional apocalypse has remade your world, and only we are the survivors. Of course, I could intuit all of this happening because I am attuned to changes in reality due to my extensive works, so I also slipped into this brave unknown :smug: Who knows what eldritch horrors leaked through the dimensional collapse! Get your rear end to Mars my Theoretical Physics class at Miskatonik U! You can probably kill some time during the road trip solving mysteries, too!"

Which was a cool way of tying MI into the original Scooby Doo episodes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mystery Inc. was simply baller and a great example that cartoons can be amazing and end in two seasons rather than eight or eleven or whatever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Two seasons aired over like four years, like ugh.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Just like Gravity Falls

fake edit: Speaking of weird schedules, apparently Star Vs. the Forces of Evil has been back on Disney for a few months. Is that worth catching up on?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

He kind of says "a dimensional apocalypse has remade your world, and only we are the survivors. Of course, I could intuit all of this happening because I am attuned to changes in reality due to my extensive works, so I also slipped into this brave unknown :smug: Who knows what eldritch horrors leaked through the dimensional collapse! Get your rear end to Mars my Theoretical Physics class at Miskatonik U! You can probably kill some time during the road trip solving mysteries, too!"

Which was a cool way of tying MI into the original Scooby Doo episodes.

It is a bit paradoxical when you look at the first episode though since those same mysteries they're presumably solving already happened based on the dummies they have in the museum. Also Flim Flam and Scrappy were made canon in some way. Pup was the only one not to have any reference.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

nerdman42 posted:

Just like Gravity Falls

fake edit: Speaking of weird schedules, apparently Star Vs. the Forces of Evil has been back on Disney for a few months. Is that worth catching up on?

If only for the continuing adventures of Ludo and the Karate VHS episode, yes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

It is a bit paradoxical when you look at the first episode though since those same mysteries they're presumably solving already happened based on the dummies they have in the museum. Also Flim Flam and Scrappy were made canon in some way. Pup was the only one not to have any reference.

The Red Shirt Shaggy movies didn't really get referenced either, which is a shame

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Red Shirt Shaggy was kind of a weird point in Scooby Doo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mystery Inc. was simply baller and a great example that cartoons can be amazing and end in two seasons rather than eight or eleven or whatever.

Yeah, it ended at the perfect spot where it wrapped up the story it had set up while also loosely tying into the original 70s show by setting up why they were tooling across the country in a van solving mysteries to begin with. It didn't need another season.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Didn't Redd Herring show up in the background somewhere? I tried to keep an eye out for him but didn't see him anywhere.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

Also Flim Flam and Scrappy were made canon in some way. Pup was the only one not to have any reference.
I could have sworn there was a flashback bit and the gang was Pupitized.

I'm not sure, but was the museum stuff that the kids had solved, or stuff that the previous Group Of Mystery Solvers experienced and debunked?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jack Gladney posted:

Harlan Ellison was God or something in the end. Lewis Black and Udo Kier are in it too. poo poo's dope.
Patrick Warburton was also great in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf2us_gN9Q
Jeffry Combs as not HP Lovecraft was also genius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbRJ8bGIUZ0

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They not only managed to make Harlan sound like a normal, not-the-hate-midget-from Inside Out kind of guy, but as far as I can tell he hasn't issued an overly complicated diss track about how MI was complicit in the lobotomization of American Speculative Fiction via the inbred mongoloid funguses that comprised their "Writing" staff.

Which is about the highest loving praise I can imagine coming from the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I could have sworn there was a flashback bit and the gang was Pupitized.

I'm not sure, but was the museum stuff that the kids had solved, or stuff that the previous Group Of Mystery Solvers experienced and debunked?

Velma knew the identities and the details of each of the unmasked when telling the tour group (which featured an unnamed Don Knotts parody) about the "monsters"