Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I froze up some egg and chorizo burritos to microwave for breakfast s once. It was great. I would recommend preparing the cooked toppings ahead of time and freezing portion-sized burrito-length strips from fresh off the stove. This way the freezer dries the stuff out a bit so when you reheat it's not too soggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Probably enough filling for three more, gonna take a little burrito break though

Burrito proprtions:

10 giant tortillas
3-4lbs steak
3-4lbs chicken
2 dry cups rice cooked up
2 dry cups beans cooked up
2 big onions and once bunch cilantro chopped up
16oz shredded cheese
A wettening agent like salsa or mayo or sour cream

Makes 5 beef 5 chx burriters of the correct size

...thank you...

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I've started heating up my tortillas on a skillet until they start to lightly brown on both sides. it makes them slightly crispy and fluffy and gives an overall better flavor imo. I'm never gonna microwave a tortilla again

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 13, 2016

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
My Dad is an amazing and very good man who loves and appreciates fishies of all kinds but he also has the gout so he can't eat herring or dines so I need to eat enough for both of us and it's tough work.
Turns out you can get some okay deals on amazon on the fishies.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

SIDE QUESTION: I'll be in Seoul and maybe Beijing for a bit next week. Anyone have any tips on small-fish shopping in Asia?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Avian Pneumonia posted:

SIDE QUESTION: I'll be in Seoul and maybe Beijing for a bit next week. Anyone have any tips on small-fish shopping in Asia?

What's your favorite genre of music? I hope it's heavy metal.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

I don't remember the name of the band exactly but my cousin played a band called 'skull-x' or something for me and i thought that was pretty cool.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Don't buy canned food or cheap food in china unless you have a death wish or hate functioning internal organs

naem
May 29, 2011

Kitty eat teh fishs

https://youtu.be/2M9K4mGUU0A

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh so this has been moved to the cooking forum

I will fight all the badcook carehard regs of this forum with my fists

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

500 degrees of justice

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Do you own a mandoline? Please use it on your face, you cook son of a bitch

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm happy the thread survived!

I have a thing with one of my bartenders where she will pick up $10 worth of tinned fish when she goes to Trader Joes for me. She didn't come through this week so I'm dineless tonight

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Hey...son...

Sorry it's been awhile.

I heard about the big move and all.

I'm sure you'll make some new friends here. You're an upstanding young person.

Anyhow, I wanted to share my new dip recipe:

I think it was...

mayonnaise, horseradish, lemon juice, diced shallots, salt/pepper, and some sumac and parsley for color and fun.

It was alright, but I thought I could just dip the Riga sprats into it and eat them like that. With chopsticks.

At that point I learned that Riga sprats have a great flavor and they're super cheap ($1.20 where I am now), but...

...they have terrible texture. Soft and mushy. You'd never notice on a cracker, so don't worry if you eat them like that.

So I mixed the rest of the can into the dip to make a smoked fish dip, and had it with vegetables. (The doctor...you know?)

Make that dip, invite over a special girl, and make me some grandkids some day.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
SARDINE THREAD!!!!

I was so worried about you... I even made a post in not-GBS about you... how I had longed for your fishy, oily touch.

I've been frying up a buncha mackerel lately, super easy and super tasty. Eat them fishies dads.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Gotta bookmark your threads, dine bros.

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
I just made two(small) pizzas. Topped with some delicious KO anchovies. The cat got a couple of the fishies... the spoiled bastard

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Egorger Le Chef posted:

I just made two(small) pizzas. Topped with some delicious KO anchovies. The cat got a couple of the fishies... the spoiled bastard

I'm sure it'll give you plenty of shedded fur in return, spitefully

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm sure it'll give you plenty of shedded fur in return, spitefully

black fur everywhere

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

This is the best thread on SA and I'm glad it lives during GBS's lovely gimmick.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to microwave one of the burritos, stay tuned for updates

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I'm going to microwave one of the burritos, stay tuned for updates

:ohdear: Please don't over cook the tortillas.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Had another can of the Trader Joe's sardines in spring water this week, partly to see if my previous experience with them was an anomaly. Nope, I actually think they are surprisingly good. Sort of big and oddly-shaped, but the texture was good and they were tasty. Back to slumming with Bumblebee this week, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Burrito microwaves perfectly, even the cilantro came out tasting like it did when I put it in.

It takes a long time to come up to temp. Next time I will probably give it five minutes at 50% power (instead of half of that like I did this time) before finishing it off at 100%. This it in a beast of a microwave so if you have a farty little shitbox it'll take longer.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Had another can of the Trader Joe's sardines in spring water this week, partly to see if my previous experience with them was an anomaly. Nope, I actually think they are surprisingly good. Sort of big and oddly-shaped, but the texture was good and they were tasty. Back to slumming with Bumblebee this week, though.

Smoked Bumblebees in oil is my guilty pleasure. $0.79 cans this week :yum:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i have got some trader joes skinless dines in oil i dont like them much as the tj's harisssa ones w skin though

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey dadly fish thread - anchovy paste is the poo poo, I had no idea. I can think of tons of uses for this salty fishy condiment. Thanks.

It's a pity this is no longer a GBS thread although I love GWS, it had a certain je ne sais quoi before.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey dadly fish thread - anchovy paste is the poo poo, I had no idea. I can think of tons of uses for this salty fishy condiment. Thanks.

It's a pity this is no longer a GBS thread although I love GWS, it had a certain je ne sais quoi before.

I'm gonna post the way I want to post, you go ahead and do the same

This pig gonna git put bakkin GBS soon anyway

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I made braised short ribs in a natural reduction, variety of roast mushroom, bulghur dressed thing for under it, too much work, next week is fucken BEANIE WEENIES

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Sheep-Goats I have only ever had short ribs 72h sous vide and found them to be pungeantly beefy and interesting but overall a waste of energy.

What do you have to say for them? It seems like maybe you agree, but you are the guy who would be able to explain why they are good, if anybody can.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda think of them as a better version of a pot roast.

I usually just brown them on all six sides and then put into a 300 oven for four hours in liquid. Strain the poix out of the liquid and reduce it. I usually make a kind of instant polenta by frying a little onion and then taking some of the reserved liquid (1-2 cups) and pouring corn meal into it in the pan I did the onion in and then serve it together.

You do have to do a lot of skimming -- usually I get most of the fat out after the browning step and then the rest after straining -- I have one kinda tall weird stainless steel bowl that I use for that because the narrower the vessel the easier the skim.

I like how beefy they are.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My biggest regret of my weekend was not buying those dehydrated anchovies I saw in Chinatown.

They looked perfect to just snack on like french fries. I was turned off by the smell of old fish but I momentarily forgot that's just Chinatown's natural musk.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

I'm thinking of making an olive oil based sauce for some pasta tonight and I figure blending some fishies, parmesan, and some basil would make a good sauce. My wife came home with dines, canned sprats, and herring yesterday. Which would be best in a sauce?

What the hell is up with the herring family and names? Sardines/sprats/herring, it seems to be all the same. I don't know what to make of it. I'm a Gulf of Mexico kind of person, not a Baltic sea dude. I'm trying to learn about my dines, durnit.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 25, 2016

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Olive oil, garlic, some onion, 'dines or maybe sprats tossed in, a bunch of fresh parsley, maybe some capers if tou want to brighten it up, and a topping of toasted breandcrumbs once you've tossed it with pasta. Is good.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

Olive oil, garlic, some onion, 'dines or maybe sprats tossed in, a bunch of fresh parsley, maybe some capers if tou want to brighten it up, and a topping of toasted breandcrumbs once you've tossed it with pasta. Is good.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about capers. That's happening.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you have anchovies or anchovy paste, add some when you saute broccoli rabe, aka broccolini, aka rapini, one of the best vegetables. Add olive oil (although the oil from the canned anchovies will also work), garlic, and hot chili flakes, and it goes great tossed with pasta or as a side dish with any rich, meaty Italian meal.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Welcome to GWS, dine dads. You will be well treated here for as long as you are refugees.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I hope my dad wants to go get that 5 gallon bucket of soy sauce to split soon, maybe I can tag along and look at fish (hopefully those dried anchovies!)/seaweed/other fun stuff at the chinese market :wiggle:

Need that soy sauce for jerky, hell yeah

I had some boneless/skinless KOs with chili paste the other day. I had a lot of things with chili paste.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I had a can of Trader Joe's 'dines in harissa yesterday, they were pretty satisfying on a hung-over Sunday.

Does anyone have some dad advice (dadvice?) on how to open and drain a can without making a huge loving mess? I generally crack the can open, then pour out as much oil as will come, then peel back the lid and remove. However when I'm draining the oil, it's running all over the outside of the can, and when I finally pull the lid loose it tends to jerk and spatter some oil around. I'd like to do 'dines for a work lunch more often but the risk of getting fishy olive oil everywhere makes that a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had a can of Trader Joe's 'dines in harissa yesterday, they were pretty satisfying on a hung-over Sunday.

Does anyone have some dad advice (dadvice?) on how to open and drain a can without making a huge loving mess? I generally crack the can open, then pour out as much oil as will come, then peel back the lid and remove. However when I'm draining the oil, it's running all over the outside of the can, and when I finally pull the lid loose it tends to jerk and spatter some oil around. I'd like to do 'dines for a work lunch more often but the risk of getting fishy olive oil everywhere makes that a challenge.

I dump mine in a mesh strainer over a bowl.