Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's Fie's Cooking Power Hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Really Pants posted:

...the goods. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Koguma posted:

Might have something to do with that fancy "S." in the middle of her name. :eyepop:

Figured that had to do with her family being descendents of Sandlot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Really Pants posted:

*whisking furiously*

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

lets hang out posted:

I definitely think that's the case. I'm curious if Duvalie's hate for them is singular because their very existence sullies the purity of her ~ILLUSTRIOUS LORD~ or if it's something the Steel Maiden shares because their existence means she can't actually be the real Lianne Sandlot. I really hope the steel maiden makes a proper appearance in CS3.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Erpy posted:

So if you want the Crossbell games to have a serious chance of being brought over, buy Trails 3rd when it comes out. Don't wait on a sale, buy it on day one and if you have both a Steam account and a GOG account, friggin double-dip. And be sure to remind the no-PSP-no-buy crowd and the "eh, 3rd is only a bridge game and not that important, so I think I'll just skip that one"-crowd of the stakes whenever possible.

While I don't think I'll go so far as buying it twice on day one, I'm sure I'll get a copy right away. It'll be the first Trails game I'll be in a position to do so.

And I'll grab it off Humble, like I do just about everything, since they're supposed to give devs/publishers more back than Steam. Not sure how they compare to GOG.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
^^
Steel Maiden is the primary antagonist of Crossbell arc, isn't she?

Also, I finished the game now, 10 hours after the "finale". There' something that bugs me [CS2 ending and epilogue spoilers] Class VII, except for Rean, is deciding to graduate one year early and went their separate ways. They deliberately dance around when they decided to do this and why, only saying that each of them has a duty to fulfilled, which is true, I guess. I really hoped this is part of some kind of plan they concoct in response to whatever Osbourne said to them at the castle. Only thing is, every member of Class VII are not really schemers like that, except for Crow. I hoped this gets elaborated on CS3 and it isn't just a way to generate even more angst

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

So are we supposed to know what's up with the obvious giant robot door at Lohengrin castle? No one ever talks about it even after Rean gets that vision of it opening and the seventh anguis showing up there in cs1 makes me think we're supposed to see it and go "oh that explains ________________ from the crossbell games". Or maybe it's a hint for cs3? I have no idea.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

davidHalestorm posted:

[CS2 ending and epilogue spoilers] Class VII, except for Rean, is deciding to graduate one year early and went their separate ways. They deliberately dance around when they decided to do this and why, only saying that each of them has a duty to fulfilled, which is true, I guess.

I suppose it made more of an impact to show Rean staying there alone, but some of the reasons the others gave for leaving weren't that persuasive. Sure, Jusis doesn't have time to finish school anymore, and OK, Elliott would be better off in music school, but Gaius just sort of decides to head back to Nord because...? Alisa can't wait a year to start at Reinford because...?Given how important they kept saying Class 7 was to them, one would think they'd get a higher first-year retention rate than 10%.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

epenthesis posted:

I suppose it made more of an impact to show Rean staying there alone, but some of the reasons the others gave for leaving weren't that persuasive. Sure, Jusis doesn't have time to finish school anymore, and OK, Elliott would be better off in music school, but Gaius just sort of decides to head back to Nord because...? Alisa can't wait a year to start at Reinford because...?Given how important they kept saying Class 7 was to them, one would think they'd get a higher first-year retention rate than 10%.

Alisa going into Reinford means she doesn't need military academy experience anymore. Gaius is just sort of "well, uh, Gaius has to leave too I guess" but that's Gaius in a nutshell.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

davidHalestorm posted:

^^
Steel Maiden is the primary antagonist of Crossbell arc, isn't she?

Also, I finished the game now, 10 hours after the "finale". There' something that bugs me [CS2 ending and epilogue spoilers] Class VII, except for Rean, is deciding to graduate one year early and went their separate ways.

Honestly, the only ones that really made sense were Jusis, since trying to govern Kreuzen province while attending Thors at the same time probably would have been too much; Millium, since no matter how much she enjoyed it attending Thors was ultimately just a mission; and Emma and Fie, both of whom were going looking for someone(s), which is somewhat time sensitive, and Fie never really cared about the schooling aspect anyways. Alisa, Gaius, Machias, Laura and Elliot all had extremely flimsy reasons as to why they needed to graduate early.

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

lets hang out posted:

So are we supposed to know what's up with the obvious giant robot door at Lohengrin castle? No one ever talks about it even after Rean gets that vision of it opening and the seventh anguis showing up there in cs1 makes me think we're supposed to see it and go "oh that explains ________________ from the crossbell games". Or maybe it's a hint for cs3? I have no idea.

I feel like it's supposed to hint that the Steel Maiden has a giant robot too. Which would be excellent.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

...the goods. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You can TRY eating it if you want...

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Aren't the Arseids descendants of one of her Eisenritter companions, not Sandlot herself?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lord Koth posted:

Aren't the Arseids descendants of one of her Eisenritter companions, not Sandlot herself?

Yes but the speculation is that the S initial in their names stands for Sandlot, and the Black Records do talk about how the Sandlots are the original rulers of Legram, so why would the Arseids be the rulers now?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ oh maybe, I think I remember that.

ImpAtom posted:

Alisa going into Reinford means she doesn't need military academy experience anymore. Gaius is just sort of "well, uh, Gaius has to leave too I guess" but that's Gaius in a nutshell.

Things are heating up with Calvard for reals and Osbourne just rolled over an independent state that was stuck in between the two nations, a lot like Nord is. And Gaius was only in school to learn how to protect his home anyway, so yeah.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The dlc for the game is finally up, new casual costumes for everyone, 2 special costumes for Rean and Alisa(Joshua/Estelle costumes and Tokyo Xanadu cameo costumes.) and a bunch of cosmetic accessories. You can even buy the entire wave of dlc items for one lump sum.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Zaggitz posted:

For those of you who wanna know more about what exactly went down in the finale, but don't wanna go through NG+ for it, I just transcribed all the Black Records for a friend. Spoilers, obviously:

Black Records 1
Black Records 2
Black Records 3
Black Records 4
Black Records 5

That didn't really say much that couldn't already be inferred from what we've already seen in the game.

Unless there's more that NG+ adds don't really see any new revelations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

theblackw0lf posted:

That didn't really say much that couldn't already be inferred from what we've already seen in the game.

Unless there's more that NG+ adds don't really see any new revelations.

The revelations come from who you turn the books into, which I outlined in a previous post.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Zaggitz posted:

The revelations come from who you turn the books into, which I outlined in a previous post.

Ah gotcha

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Whoever voiced Duvalie needs a medal holy poo poo she's the best.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Koguma posted:

Just looked it up and its the same lady who did Estelle in Tales of Vesperia, talk about a difference.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Koguma posted:

The entire recording staff deserves a medal, this dub is the best and is a significant improvement over the first game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and the first game already had a great dub

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, the only ones that really made sense were Jusis, since trying to govern Kreuzen province while attending Thors at the same time probably would have been too much; Millium, since no matter how much she enjoyed it attending Thors was ultimately just a mission; and Emma and Fie, both of whom were going looking for someone(s), which is somewhat time sensitive, and Fie never really cared about the schooling aspect anyways. Alisa, Gaius, Machias, Laura and Elliot all had extremely flimsy reasons as to why they needed to graduate early.

One of the Kiseki-guru's over at another board brought up another view; that with Olivier forced to the sidelines and Osborne having a stronger grip on the country than ever, Class VII was actually being "disbanded". The class itself wouldn't disappear, but the unique field-study based curriculum would be slashed and Class VII would follow the same curiculum as all the other classes. Since Class VII was Olivier's pet project and was an attempt by him to create a Bracer-like force trained to act separately from the factional powers, it'd make sense for the guy who pretty much forced the Guild out of the country to want to stomp that initiative out and make sure the people in that class would end up in his own force rather than Olivier's third way. And if that happened and much of what identified them as a class was slashed, it'd make sense for the people of Class VII to start reevaluating whether they still wanted to continue attending the academy. A note on Elliot and Alisa; they were never really that interested in a military career to begin with. Elliot was forced to attend Thors and with his dad eventually supporting his dream of attending the music academy, he already had a strong incentive to switch schools. Alisa went to Thors instead of the Roer Institute of Technology because she wanted to get away from her mom and her family name, but deep down she's not a warrior, she's a tech geek who's way more into engineering than military matters. With the relationship with her mom slightly less icy and her granddad once again being a prominent presence in the company, a lot of her incentive to stay at Thors was gone too. And the one major incentive she had, Rean, was actually pushing her to follow her own road rather than stick around for someone else.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 23, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So when you get through the CS2 intermission, I highly recommend ignoring all your objectives and going straight to the ancient quarry in the Nord Highlands.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Erpy posted:

One of the Kiseki-guru's over at another board brought up another view; that with Olivier forced to the sidelines and Osborne having a stronger grip on the country than ever, Class VII was actually being "disbanded". The class itself wouldn't disappear, but the unique field-study based curriculum would be slashed and Class VII would follow the same curiculum as all the other classes. Since Class VII was Olivier's pet project and was an attempt by him to create a Bracer-like force trained to act separately from the factional powers, it'd make sense for the guy who pretty much forced the Guild out of the country to want to stomp that initiative out and make sure the people in that class would end up in his own force rather than Olivier's third way. And if that happened and much of what identified them as a class was slashed, it'd make sense for the people of Class VII to start reevaluating whether they still wanted to continue attending the academy. A note on Elliot and Alisa; they were never really that interested in a military career to begin with. Elliot was forced to attend Thors and with his dad eventually supporting his dream of attending the music academy, he already had a strong incentive to switch schools. Alisa went to Thors instead of the Roer Institute of Technology because she wanted to get away from her mom and her family name, but deep down she's not a warrior, she's a tech geek who's way more into engineering than military matters. With the relationship with her mom slightly less icy and her granddad once again being a prominent presence in the company, a lot of her incentive to stay at Thors was gone too. And the one major incentive she had, Rean, was actually pushing her to follow her own road rather than stick around for someone else.

This makes a lot of sense, given that (Finale spoilers) one of the directors was actually an Ironblood, which would certainly put a dent in Olivier's plans now that it was revealed to Class VII et al. If he still remains as a member, that would put two members on Osborne's side, making it really easy to stomp out any chance at anything actually happening on that front.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, that's a good point. Class VII is Olivert's pet project since day 1 and (spoilers for CS2 ending and Trails SC) and Osbourne manages to put someone loyal to him since pretty much day 1 in it. I wonder if that's Osbourne's revenge for Olivert foiling his plans to invade Liberl in SC? . Man, the good guys in Erebonia need to step up their scheming game. I want to see more stuff like what Kevin and Joshua did to trick the final boss in SC and all the ridiculous crap that Cassius Bright pulled.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The thing is, in talking about military careers in regards to Thors, is that I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at one point (sorry, not going through the entirety of both games to check) that only about 40% of Thors graduates these days go on to careers in the military. Everyone else just goes off to do something else. As for Alisa specifically, it's not like George ever had an interest in a military career and, presumably, Thors does cater to engineering to some extent, given him staying there to graduate despite apparently receiving huge numbers of offers from all over the place. Hell, they could have had Alisa take over that role in CS3, assuming any decent amount of time is still spent at Thors. The deliberate breakup of the class due to the Osborne stuff is certainly reasonable, but there was no real reason not to be more clear about that, as opposed to leaving it to speculation, if that is the case.

Also, I could have sworn that RIT was a generally higher age group than Thors. Similar to the political university Machias is going to, where it' generally for graduates, but he's joining early for some reason.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cyouni posted:

This makes a lot of sense, given that (Finale spoilers) one of the directors was actually an Ironblood, which would certainly put a dent in Olivier's plans now that it was revealed to Class VII et al. If he still remains as a member, that would put two members on Osborne's side, making it really easy to stomp out any chance at anything actually happening on that front.

I don't know if I'd paint it that bleak. Even if Class VII is "officially" disbanded the project did exactly what it set out to do from the start and I imagine that will pay dividends down the road. I have no doubt that when push comes to shove that Class VII's loyalties will lie with themselves and with the people they protect and serve rather than any sort of superficial "duty" imposed upon them by their families/country or whatnot.

if CS3 is as much of a game-changer as Falcom is saying that it is, Class VII's bond will no doubt play a large role in how the narrative progresses.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Erpy posted:

That's basically what my thoughts are, though I kind of suspect that there may have been some pressure put on everyone else in class VII to leave the academy at the end of the school year. Sure some of them have excellent reasons to leave, but it's how I ended up reading everyone else leaving the academy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

The thing is, in talking about military careers in regards to Thors, is that I'm pretty sure it's mentioned at one point (sorry, not going through the entirety of both games to check) that only about 40% of Thors graduates these days go on to careers in the military.
to be fair, that 60% of thors graduates who don't go onto the military is probably inflated by nobles who just go there because you get to bring your maid and their dad/grandpa went there, then just go home and sit on their money some more.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Super Jay Mann posted:

I don't know if I'd paint it that bleak. Even if Class VII is "officially" disbanded the project did exactly what it set out to do from the start and I imagine that will pay dividends down the road. I have no doubt that when push comes to shove that Class VII's loyalties will lie with themselves and with the people they protect and serve rather than any sort of superficial "duty" imposed upon them by their families/country or whatnot.

if CS3 is as much of a game-changer as Falcom is saying that it is, Class VII's bond will no doubt play a large role in how the narrative progresses.

Well, to be fair it did work, just any future things will be blatantly Osborne-centered. Or perhaps less blatant, but still definitely Osborne-centered. There's no way it'll be anything like the first year was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also there are approx. 31 hugs in cold steel 2. i counted.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Endorph posted:

also there are approx. 31 hugs in cold steel 2. i counted.

You've done very important work and I appreciate it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

How many headpats

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

lets hang out posted:

How many headpats

As many as you want, depending on how many battles you finish with a link attack between Rean and Elise.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Does anyone else feel like the antagonists in CS II are a total let down? I just finished up the Finale and spent the entire time thinking how much better Liber Ark was as a climax. Barring Duke Cayenne, none of the antagonists really interacted with the party in any sort of way that would make you want to rise up and kick their rear end (not that the game would allow you to do so anyway since every time you defeat one of them it turns out they were totally holding back and you need to fetch an adult to defeat them for you). Vita kidnapping Elise (who it turns out is totally fine and was never in any danger anyway) is more or less the only antagonistic thing any of the major boss characters pull on the party in the entire game(s). The way Crow was handled was so bizarre too. Dude ordered a bunch of terrorist attacks that (presumably) killed innocent people, then assassinated the Chancellor and sparked a civil war and Class VII talks about him as if he's a naughty kid that ran away from home. There's so much potential for conflict there and Rean + pals through the whole game are content to just go with "come on crow, lets be friends again ya big goof". He's the only antagonist Class VII actually manage to definitively defeat and it only occurs under the pretense of beating the power of friendship into him. It's just such a far cry from how satisfying it was to defeat Weissmann, Loewe and co.

tl;dr bad guys all suck as bad guys. too much power level bullshit and very little motivation. duvalies alright though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the game last night. Now I feel sad. Having to watch characters make decisions that were extremely frustrating and knowing there was nothing I could do to stop them was heartbreaking. Rean just feels so broken by the death of Crow and the reveal about Osborne. The exact reasons for Class VII all leaving were vague and somewhat unsatisfying, but watching Rean push them away, particularly Alisa who I'd paired him with, was heartwrenching. And now he's just going to follow Osborne's orders because he has no drive left.

I hope he's faking or something and wants to work from the inside to bring Osborne down. Won't be surprised if he's a villain for much of CS3 though. Poor Rean...

Bland posted:

Does anyone else feel like the antagonists in CS II are a total let down? I just finished up the Finale and spent the entire time thinking how much better Liber Ark was as a climax. Barring Duke Cayenne, none of the antagonists really interacted with the party in any sort of way that would make you want to rise up and kick their rear end (not that the game would allow you to do so anyway since every time you defeat one of them it turns out they were totally holding back and you need to fetch an adult to defeat them for you). Vita kidnapping Elise (who it turns out is totally fine and was never in any danger anyway) is more or less the only antagonistic thing any of the major boss characters pull on the party in the entire game(s). The way Crow was handled was so bizarre too. Dude ordered a bunch of terrorist attacks that (presumably) killed innocent people, then assassinated the Chancellor and sparked a civil war and Class VII talks about him as if he's a naughty kid that ran away from home. There's so much potential for conflict there and Rean + pals through the whole game are content to just go with "come on crow, lets be friends again ya big goof". He's the only antagonist Class VII actually manage to definitively defeat and it only occurs under the pretense of beating the power of friendship into him. It's just such a far cry from how satisfying it was to defeat Weissmann, Loewe and co.

tl;dr bad guys all suck as bad guys. too much power level bullshit and very little motivation. duvalies alright though

I felt similarly for much of the Finale, however by the end it became apparent that we weren't going to get a complete triumph because this wasn't the climax. There's still a third game in this trilogy. I was expecting an SC but the story went in a very different direction, and in the end I'm okay with that. Osborne is an incredible villain and I look forward to seeing where he goes next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is the game hanging on a black screen after the ending a common bug?