Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Asiina posted:

We have to do all this mandatory training to be a TA. Most of it is online courses about like accessibility and workplace safety, but we had to go to this actual workshop presentation on Violence and Harassment, and people kept asking questions and bringing up inane examples and it's like just let this guy get through this 45 minute presentation and we can all leave.

I was desperately trying to think of anything else that was more interesting. I did some free writing on my notepad about the use of cursive and how sometimes it's nice and flowy, but sometimes it's total bullshit to piece some letters together. Also I found it amusing that when I was a kid I remembered that part of the problem was remembering where the dots for i and j or the cross for t went by the time I finished the word since it was just a bunch of interconnected lines and loops, and that honestly was still a problem trying it now when I write a very long word and get to the end being like where the hell does this dot go.

Anyway, it was a dumb session and no, your employer making sure that you are on time for work is not harassment. Stop it.

A lot of people have a very poor understanding of what harassment is in the employment law sense, since the the word has broad colloquial use that doesn't necessarily align.

I don't know about Canadian legal terminology, but the phrase "hostile workplace" is a cause of a lot of confusion for workers here, since some people interpret that in a broad sense that means that the employer is being a big jerk, instead of the employer is allowing discriminatory patterns of behavior to exist in the workplace.

So basically GET USED TO SITTING QUIETLY AND ROLLING YOUR EYES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Asiina posted:

Anyway, it was a dumb session and no, your employer making sure that you are on time for work is not harassment. Stop it.

No, boss, and your attempt to get me to do involuntarily perform my basic job responsibilities is CHRONIC ABUSE. Please be more considerate of my delicate emotional makeup in the future, tia.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

This actual ties into one thing that annoys the heck out of me, and that's how many legal matters are reported on - many times the actual issue gets ignored in favor of the WEIRD LITTLE THING or HOT STORY and that's why we all go "LOL THE COFFEE DIDN'T SAY WARNING HOT" instead of "Dear lord that woman got 3rd degree burns, that coffee seemed ludicrously and dangerously hot!" and then everybody dies a little.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

This actual ties into one thing that annoys the heck out of me, and that's how many legal matters are reported on - many times the actual issue gets ignored in favor of the WEIRD LITTLE THING or HOT STORY and that's why we all go "LOL THE COFFEE DIDN'T SAY WARNING HOT" instead of "Dear lord that woman got 3rd degree burns, that coffee seemed ludicrously and dangerously hot!" and then everybody dies a little.

Even My Estranged Libertarian Father thinks that coffee was too loving hot.

It legitimately upsets me when people poke fun at that.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Some old friends invited me to play in their fantasy football league. I know nothing about football - haven't watched it in years - and I figured it would at best be a hilarious disaster.

I'm predicted to start the season 3-0. I don't understand at all.

In more relevant news, the big Votefinder switchover should be happening this weekend! The domain is scheduled to transfer into my account on Sunday, so you might notice that votefinder mysteriously resets to three days earlier or so. I'll transfer over the existing database as soon as I get the email from my registrar. Password reset functionality has been enabled already on the new site and an SSL certificate will end up on the site late Sunday.

BottleKnight posted:

No, boss, and your attempt to get me to do involuntarily perform my basic job responsibilities is CHRONIC ABUSE. Please be more considerate of my delicate emotional makeup in the future, tia.

I know people who complain about having to dress professionally in an office where clients come in for meetings. It is bizarre. ("Professionally", for reference, includes Hawaiian-shirt-and-shorts combos, so it's not a particularly strict imposition).

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I have a mafia game all set up and ready to go but I'm not sure if people are interested in a new game yet. Thoughts?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Li Dawny posted:

I have a mafia game all set up and ready to go but I'm not sure if people are interested in a new game yet. Thoughts?

I will not be joining :(

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Flying Leatherman posted:

I know people who complain about having to dress professionally in an office where clients come in for meetings. It is bizarre. ("Professionally", for reference, includes Hawaiian-shirt-and-shorts combos, so it's not a particularly strict imposition).

jorts and a t-shirt daily Or I Walk.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Establish yourself as affable, productive, and competent and then wear darkish jeans and a polo shirt every day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mafia thread, the last pair of jeans I have that fit at all are like falling off of me. This is good but also I need to buy new clothes.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Establish yourself as affable, productive, and competent and then wear darkish jeans and a polo shirt every day.

I do this

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Polos are too informal for me, make me feel like a dang slob from high school

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

It's me!

Also the shirt is untucked at all times, and is sometimes substituted for a short-sleeved button-down.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Why would you tuck a polo into jeans lmao

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Podima posted:

It's me!

Also the shirt is untucked at all times, and is sometimes substituted for a short-sleeved button-down.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I've been doing for most of my career.

I wear suits when I'm formally meeting with clients, but generally I market myself and my skill set as a low maintenance team player, which allows for a bit more room for eccentricities. Last time I met with a client I still had longish hair and giant mutton chops, so.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BottleKnight posted:

is this a serious post

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I generally wear sweaters with a collared shirt all winter tho

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

is this a serious post

At the point where you're going to wear a polo to work, I don't see the value of dressing like a golfer. You're wearing a baggy rear end pretend-dress shirt. Just wear it like the t-shirt it is.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

We have to do all this mandatory training to be a TA. Most of it is online courses about like accessibility and workplace safety, but we had to go to this actual workshop presentation on Violence and Harassment, and people kept asking questions and bringing up inane examples and it's like just let this guy get through this 45 minute presentation and we can all leave.

I was desperately trying to think of anything else that was more interesting. I did some free writing on my notepad about the use of cursive and how sometimes it's nice and flowy, but sometimes it's total bullshit to piece some letters together. Also I found it amusing that when I was a kid I remembered that part of the problem was remembering where the dots for i and j or the cross for t went by the time I finished the word since it was just a bunch of interconnected lines and loops, and that honestly was still a problem trying it now when I write a very long word and get to the end being like where the hell does this dot go.

I have to film the presentation the lawyers make at our school every year on the subject of Title IX and the Violence Against Women Act. It is super duper dry and pretty much boils down to "The moment a student tells you about something, inform one of the deans immediately for any given situation."

People still come up with ridiculous situations and the lawyer tiredly says "Inform the dean" to every single question, it's terrible.

Made worse by the fact that I then have to edit the thing, so I get to relive it 6 more times.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

CCKeane posted:

Establish yourself as affable, productive, and competent and then wear whatever you want, secure in knowledge that your workplace won't do anything about it because you're good at what you do.

Then, years later, leave your career to sell hats on the internet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
kill or banish anyone who could tell you what to wear, then dress nice when you feel like it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I feel like at some point in my life I'm going to start my own business and I'm probably going to do that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Boke

Tsukkomi (comparatively)

Moe through helplessness

Seemingly "perfect" at first glance

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

more like every girl wants a rick bass

and every boy

and non-binary person

btw I forgot to ask earlier who is rick bass

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I need to buy new pants today. What color should they be?

(Excludes: Yellow, Orange, White)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Barbie pink

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd be okay with pink I just need to find a shirt to go with it tbh.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
No not like rose or salmon or whatever.

Sear your loving eyeballs out pink.

AGGRESSIVE pink.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

POOP BROWN

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also related to our earlier spellcheck conversation I just had to look up whether it was sear or seer cause I wasn't sure. Then I learned that sere is also a word.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

POOP BROWN

I actually own quite a few brown pants and I like them a lot. I wear them with earthy or muted coloured shirts and I have this long brass/copper coloured chain and owl pendant that I'll wear with it. It's not an official "outfit" like they're meant to go together but I tend to put this together for myself a lot since I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Asiina posted:

I actually own quite a few brown pants and I like them a lot. I wear them with earthy or muted coloured shirts and I have this long brass/copper coloured chain and owl pendant that I'll wear with it. It's not an official "outfit" like they're meant to go together but I tend to put this together for myself a lot since I'm pretty comfortable with it.

The best outfits are the ones you don't plan but belatedly realize you like the way you look/feel when you wear them. Also brown pants rule.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

BottleKnight posted:

Kashuno posted:

is this a serious post

r u 4 real

i brutally roasted teh last guy to post in the male fashion thread on sa who wore polos to work im going to chop ur head off if youre wearing polos tucked into jeans to work

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I always wear the best looking outfits.

Because I make whatever I'm wearing look good.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kashuno posted:

Purple, so you can be the incredible hulk. Lime green also acceptable.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I wear brown pants a lot because then nobody can tell when I'm scared.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dongsbot 9000 posted:

r u 4 real

i brutally roasted teh last guy to post in the male fashion thread on sa who wore polos to work im going to chop ur head off if youre wearing polos tucked into jeans to work

I don't wear polos tucked into my jeans but there are scenarios.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

r u 4 real

ppl do not kno how to dress bub

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Today's casual friday so I'm donning my yellow banana hammock and my titty twirlers for a relaxed but i-mean-business look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My problem is the fact is I am still a bit too overweight for dressing as I want