Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Platypus Farm posted:

el sol into broken heart is maybe my favorite two song sequence of all time. I saw Zwan live 3 times when they were active and loved every single show and would rank them near the top of all the concerts I've ever seen.

Zwan live, especially early on, was a serious force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately that energy didn't really translate over to the album, which also suffers from horrid production imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gm Place from 97 obviously because it captures the full loving excessive self indulgence of late mcis tour.

Their show before last in 2000 at the united center was really good with a great example of a brutally heavy ava adore.

Those are the two off the top of my head.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

LordPants posted:

Gm Place from 97 obviously because it captures the full loving excessive self indulgence of late mcis tour.

Their show before last in 2000 at the united center was really good with a great example of a brutally heavy ava adore.

Those are the two off the top of my head.

I'd add whichever one of the ARISING! tour shows had a soundboard recording released semi-recently. Those shows had really cool setlists.

As far as Adore, they're all more or less the same, but I have a soft spot for that tour. Get a good soundboard (Fox Theater comes to mind) and you're pretty set.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Contender for most awkward interview response ever: (23m 40s if it doesn't automatically advance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWwGBXV07fA&t=1420s

The whole interview is kind of weird. They seem to have a lot of praise for each other - do you think it was just for the cameras, or were they still naive to the coming doom?

I remember watching this on tv when it aired. This particular video was cut from a much longer program with a longer interview and performance. The performance at the beginning of the video is worth watching.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Billy just bought a minority share of TNA Wrestling, so hopefully we'll see some crossover shows with pumpkins and wrestling together at last

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Billy just posted a video saying that he just basically finished a new solo album, him and Jeff are starting a new band together that's going to be very unlike SP, and regarding SP, there's some "big stuff happening" very soon and they're "making plans". Of course the one thing on everyone's mind is whether there's going to be an original lineup reunion. Billy played with Jimmy and James for a couple shows earlier this year, and D'arcy said she would consider playing in the band again, after which Billy said he was "encouraged to hear that she is playing music once more, and writing songs."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That would also explain why Billy's finding something else for SHREDDER to do.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
While THE SHREDDER is basically like the worst possible nickname Billy could have chosen I am glad that he's doing some stuff with Jeff still. Jeff is a killer guitarist but no-one seems to pay any attention to him outside of Iha V2. If the original Pumpkins get back together and do the Pumpkins thing while Billy does weird poo poo solo and in whatever the new band is I think everyone would probably be happy. Pumpkins fans get more of that and Billy still gets to do weird 2 hour long beep boop sessions.

I just like that everyone seems to have stopped hating each other. Feel the love.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was a wave of old bands reuniting, Dino Jr and Soundgarden being the obvious grunge parallels.

But the fact is the pumpkins hating each other means they never did and them finally reuniting would hold genuine interest for a lot of people because it wasnt just well the royalties are drying up maybe we should play some shows like what happened when everyone else got back together.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Didn't Billy and James reunite because they were freaking out about those early demos that leaked earlier this year?

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't Billy and James reunite because they were freaking out about those early demos that leaked earlier this year?

Yes. Which is sad, because for every release before Zeitgeist, we got demos and outtakes of *everything*. Now we have to wait to decide for it to maybe be included on a reissue that will never come out.

Also, I was at the Jane's Addiction set at Lollapalooza and Jimmy came out to play on Jane Says.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pizza Club posted:

Also, I was at the Jane's Addiction set at Lollapalooza and Jimmy came out to play on Jane Says.

Holy poo poo :toot: Did he play WITH Steve, or instead of him? I love both of them (though Jimmy a bit more).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sorry for the double post, but whatever, no one posts here that much anymore:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/billy-corgan-named-president-of-tna-and-impact-wrestling-company/

William is now president of the TNA and Impact Wrestling company. I don't know anything about wrestling, what company is what, what TNA is, or what any of this means.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry for the double post, but whatever, no one posts here that much anymore:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/billy-corgan-named-president-of-tna-and-impact-wrestling-company/

William is now president of the TNA and Impact Wrestling company. I don't know anything about wrestling, what company is what, what TNA is, or what any of this means.

It means Billy makes terrible life choices.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Ol' Bills #1 priority now: becoming president of a dog poo poo, scummy wrestling promotion that no credible person or company wants anything to do with.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sounds like a step up from hanging out with Alex Jones, at least the wrestling is fake

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Sounds like a step up from hanging out with Alex Jones, at least the wrestling is fake

Hanging out with Alex Jones would be fun

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/764566345459568641

Alex Jones is just literally cutting wrestling promos now.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Has anyone heard Run2Me yet? My friend played it for me the other night and I wanted to fight and kill it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

redweird posted:

Has anyone heard Run2Me yet? My friend played it for me the other night and I wanted to fight and kill it

I really hated Monuments. Which is weird, because I thought Oceania was great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wouldn't say I hated Monuments, but it's just completely not interesting to me at all. And again, aside from a couple tracks, I loved Oceania too.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm kinda afraid "Oceania" is gonna be the last Pumpkins album that was written with the help of an actual band. It seems like Nicole and Mike had more than their fair share of input on the arrangements.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Noise Machine posted:

I'm kinda afraid "Oceania" is gonna be the last Pumpkins album that was written with the help of an actual band. It seems like Nicole and Mike had more than their fair share of input on the arrangements.

Who the gently caress knows, maybe we'll get an original lineup album soon (that James and D'arcy won't even actually play on again).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Run2Me is a really terrible song, but I like Monuments (the song) and Dorian. Oceania is definitely a stronger album though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Monuments is a kinda bad album because it's pretty short for a Pumpkins album and then 1/3rd of the songs are outright terrible stuff that Billy checked out for. They're bland and boring as poo poo.

Run2me, Drum and Fife, and Being Beige are all poo poo. The other stuff is good and some is pretty great. I love Dorian, but at the same time I'd actually love way more for Depeche Mode to cover it because it would sound way better. Also while the drumming is nice, loud, and clear, it's boring and about as exciting as my grandma on drums. Billy really needs Jimmy back.

At least with Oceania there was a sense of creativity and striving for something, a lot of Monuments feels like Billy just putting out another album just because.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I liked Monuments. I didn't love it, but I liked it. Tiberius, Being Beige, One and All, Dorian and Anti-Hero are good. Anaise, Run2Me, Drum + Fife and Monuments are meh to bad. Which wouldn't really be that bad except with only 9 tracks if feels very awkward. Tommy Lee is fine enough but man the drums just sucked life on Monuments too. Billy really needs a great drummer behind him.

With Billy doing solo stuff and forming another band/project with Jeff I'm hoping he'll do something more Pumpkins-y with the next album. Some of the live stuff he's done that never got on an album was killer.

Oceania was pretty loving good. It felt like the Pumpkins while doing its own thing. Pull that off again, Billy.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

He should just do solo acoustic stuff with SD-era dream-pop vocal shenanigans.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He should just do solo acoustic stuff with SD-era dream-pop vocal shenanigans.

So like The Future Embrace and/or Adore minus the electronics? That could be cool and a graceful way to age as a rawk dude.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
In Billy's latest video, he talks more about wrestling bullshit which I am sure everyone cares about. He also mentions his solo album a little bit and goes on to talk about new SP material which is going to sound more like Gish/Siamese Dream in his words. While smirking, he neither confirmed nor denied working with James and D'arcy but kind of joked about needed to get Jimmy on board.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but didn't he say that Monuments was supposed to be him doing Siamese Dream again?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Every album going forward will be 'like the old sound', and will actually venture further and further away, until one day, he says 'I think I'm going to go in a new direction', and then totally have a 25+ track release filled with fuzzed-out, melancholic, shoegaze-inspired anthems and ballads, with his vocals mixed properly.

:allears:

I'd put up with a LOT of Beige Beige for that.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

fuzzed-out, melancholic, shoegaze-inspired anthems and ballads, with his vocals mixed properly
So what bands are actually doing this right in 2016? I remember Silversun Pickups being a big deal when they first started up, and Nothing I guess is pretty good?

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
Monuments sounds pretty good and some of the songs sound great (Dorian). It's really well put together. Just all of the songs are...nothing. The song writing is so basic, they could've been written by anyone. They're all polished up real well and a couple of them have some ok riffs but there's no twists and turns, nothing interesting happens. Given the budget, producer, equipment, Tommy Lee, etc just about anyone with some song writing experience could make an album at least as good.

Oceania was "encouraging". It sounds a bit Christian Rock and the drums are too loud but they were on the right track

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Monuments sounds pretty good and some of the songs sound great (Dorian). It's really well put together. Just all of the songs are...nothing. The song writing is so basic, they could've been written by anyone. They're all polished up real well and a couple of them have some ok riffs but there's no twists and turns, nothing interesting happens. Given the budget, producer, equipment, Tommy Lee, etc just about anyone with some song writing experience could make an album at least as good.

Oceania was "encouraging". It sounds a bit Christian Rock and the drums are too loud but they were on the right track

That was a conscious choice to "stay relevant" in "the age of ADD" as BC put it. Immediacy.

Also here's a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0C0FjLCJo

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 22, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

That was a conscious choice to "stay relevant" in "the age of ADD" as BC put it. Immediacy.

Also, presented without comment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0C0FjLCJo

Jesus christ, I love Machina as much as the next person, and am fine with there being a concept behind it, but that's where I stop thinking about it, really.

Also, I just happened to jump to a spot (26:50) and the dude is saying (paraphrased here) "Here's a feeling I have that will most likely prevent me from ever hanging out with Billy Corgan; I think he's a narcissist."

You don't say :allears:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like how he takes seemingly arbitrary words and drowns them in slap echo. Oh wait, no, the opposite of that. I'm very annoyed by that.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 22, 2016

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I watched some recentish interviews and he is just such an immense tool. How did the band stick around for as long as they did.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 23, 2016

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, Flood, Alan Moulder, Butch Vig, Brad Wood, and others discuss the Pumpkins' recording history in a very pro-click article in Tape Op magazine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Masonic Youth posted:

Billy Corgan, Jimmy Chamberlin, Flood, Alan Moulder, Butch Vig, Brad Wood, and others discuss the Pumpkins' recording history in a very pro-click article in Tape Op magazine.

Billy posted:

I came in (to the recording of Siamese Dream) with a very strong mind that we needed to have a guitar sound that was idealized in the way that Cream or Boston had an idealized guitar sound.

Mission loving accomplished, holy poo poo. I'm STILL in love with those tones, and it would be my dream to be able to faithfully and regularly recreate them with the gear I have. Sadly, I doubt that'll happen, but ever now and then, I try again.

EDIT: Oh, he acknowledges the recent vocal mixes. Looks like they won't be changing any time soon :negative:

quote:

Billy Corgan: There is a sonic aspect to that. My voice is quite thin and small, so my voice tends to sound bigger, actually, in a wall of guitars. It's been weird for me in the last seven years, because as vocals have gotten louder in the sonic spectrum – and the general consensus is, "Well, you should have louder vocals" – it exposed my voice in a way that probably wouldn't be as exposed if it was still sitting in a pile of guitars. Fans are always complaining and saying, "Turn your vocals back down," but that's the way I like to hear it. Siamese Dream is probably the greatest: Jimmy on fire, and me singing behind a wall of guitars is probably the greatest expression of what we are capable of.

EDIT 2 (final edit, I promise): Holy gently caress!

quote:

Jimmy Chamberlin: No Pumpkin record was ever recorded with a click. The only songs that we ever recorded to a click were "1979" and "Try, Try, Try" because we sped the drums up. And I think that's it. We didn't use a click on anything else.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

What is a "click" exactly? Is it like the "triggers" I've heard metal bands using for the double-kick? Actually I'm not sure what those are, either.

• Locked thread