Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ofecks posted:

What is a "click" exactly? Is it like the "triggers" I've heard metal bands using for the double-kick? Actually I'm not sure what those are, either.

Playing to a click means playing to a metronome. So you set the metronome to something like 120bpm (beats per minute) and the drummer (or whomever, really) listens to the clicks, counting the beats, and playing along with them, so they're always in-time or close to it.

If what he says is true, that's loving incredible. Or there was a shitload of editing done. I mean, there's always going to be editing, but usually there's less when the music is played to a click vs when it's not. Musicians drift in and out of a constant beat all the time while playing.

Also, the 'double-kick' thing is entirely different. That' just means that you've got two kick drum mallets/pedals for one kick drum (or two pedals and two kick drums), which let's you do really fast kick drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Hn6ZJ6ZKU Skip to around 4:20 to see and hear this guy playing to a click track.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I remember a funny anecdote about Butch Vig forcing Dave Grohl to play to a click for one song when they were recording Nevermind, and he was absolutely crushed about it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I remember a funny anecdote about Butch Vig forcing Dave Grohl to play to a click for one song when they were recording Nevermind, and he was absolutely crushed about it.

A similar anecdote I've heard is that Phil Collins is (or at least was, not sure about now) a human metronome, and was always able to play the tempo that you asked for. If you said 80 bpm, he'd loving play 80 bpm, like a machine.

Allegedly, some engineer once put a click track on for when he was recording something or other, and he nearly lost his mind, and went apeshit on the guy.

EDIT: Welp, googling about that just leads to a bunch of info about how he DID use a click a bunch of times, so it's probably not true :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 23, 2016

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Mission loving accomplished, holy poo poo. I'm STILL in love with those tones, and it would be my dream to be able to faithfully and regularly recreate them with the gear I have. Sadly, I doubt that'll happen, but ever now and then, I try again.

EDIT: Oh, he acknowledges the recent vocal mixes. Looks like they won't be changing any time soon :negative:

EDIT 2 (final edit, I promise): Holy gently caress!

I was just listening to Try and thinking that the drums sounded really sped up. You can tell on the crashes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

A similar anecdote I've heard is that Phil Collins is (or at least was, not sure about now) a human metronome, and was always able to play the tempo that you asked for. If you said 80 bpm, he'd loving play 80 bpm, like a machine.

Allegedly, some engineer once put a click track on for when he was recording something or other, and he nearly lost his mind, and went apeshit on the guy.

EDIT: Welp, googling about that just leads to a bunch of info about how he DID use a click a bunch of times, so it's probably not true :shobon:

I know a guy who worked with the Roots a bunch, he said that ?uestlove is basically a human metronome.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Brian Eno said that Chris Frantz from Talking Heads pointed out that the click for a song was off-time. Everyone thought he was full of poo poo, until the engineer pointed out there was a 10 millisecond delay in the click track.

Edit: I always thought Jimmy just played a bunch of small splash cymbals on "Try", I'll never unhear it now.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 24, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Noise Machine posted:

Brian Eno said that Chris Frantz from Talking Heads pointed out that the click for a song was off-time. Everyone thought he was full of poo poo, until the engineer pointed out there was a 10 millisecond delay in the click track.

Frantz has fantastic time. You'll see him in Stop Making Sense listening into a headphone to a click for like a bar before counting in some of the songs to keep the band in sync over the two nights of filming.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

If what he says is true, that's loving incredible. Or there was a shitload of editing done. I mean, there's always going to be editing, but usually there's less when the music is played to a click vs when it's not. Musicians drift in and out of a constant beat all the time while playing.

You have to remember most of their stuff was recorded before the Mp3 burst the CD bubble, meaning you had pretty much infinite funds to record infinite takes until you got one perfect.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Could someone who knows about it please start a drumming megathread? I guess TML has something like that but a thread in this board discussing drumming from a listener's p.o.v. would be cool. Well, I would read it anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Could someone who knows about it please start a drumming megathread? I guess TML has something like that but a thread in this board discussing drumming from a listener's p.o.v. would be cool. Well, I would read it anyway.

We could just talk about it here, it's not like there's a ton of Pumpkins news.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Here are my drumming thoughts: Jimmy was really, really good at drumming.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYPo2py77A

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That loving hair.

RandomWalsh
Feb 16, 2012
Oh, Billy... :allears:

http://pitchfork.com/news/70399-billy-corgan-announces-5xlp-siddhartha-vinyl-set/

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

He releases that on vinyl, but not Machina II or any of the Double Door live material from their "last show" beyond the footage that showed up on their video compilation?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I mean he doesn't really need to negotiate with anyone else to release his masturbation session on vinyl, unlike all of those things you mentioned.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I'm pretty sure Billy recently said the label was the big reason Machina reissues aren't a thing right now.

I mean, there's no way I'd pay for some crazy ambient teahouse sessions, but I guess I'm just not as hardcore a fan as I could be? Iunno. I heard snippets and thought it sounded neat but not, what, eight hours worth of neat?

But hey, Billy gets a chance to do something he genuinely enjoys and the diehards can get a slice along with knowing it is super limited. I think the price is a little high, but eh, people will pay it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I guess Billy has been doing this cross-country vlog thingy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jgRXaGdRc

All that aside, I was actually just lamenting the fact that Melissa Auf Der Maur should be a permanent member of the band. I mean, Same with Billy, Jimmy, and James. I wish D'arcy the best, but c'mon now.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 20, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I watched a few vids in that series. It made me kinda uncomfortable, like it was propaganda for Trump supporters or something. Am I just imagining things?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ofecks posted:

I watched a few vids in that series. It made me kinda uncomfortable, like it was propaganda for Trump supporters or something. Am I just imagining things?

Ehh I think it's easy to try and make the connection between what Billy's saying and Trump's middle class support but I don't get that from Billy at all. I think being a midwestern guy he's probably heard the term flyover country in a derogatory way thousands of times and maybe he just happens to agree that those people are an important part of what makes America America. Plus from the little video I've seen he hasn't mentioned Obama or Trump yet. Billy being Billy I think he sees this 100% as an art piece and nothing political about it. Of course people are more than willing to assign politics to everything these days.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've watched the series from the start and it's actually just Billy driving along and seeing places. Honestly seemed kind of cool of him to stop and chat to fans while sight seeing. He mentions freemasons a few times but not in a "they're out to get us" way but as comments on that they were everywhere at one stage.

He does make an "Illuminati confirmed" style joke at one stage, I forget which day. He was basically just cruising around seeing midwest (?) America. It was chill.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Yeah I watched the rest of it and ended up enjoying it. I really liked the sound of that black acoustic he played in one video, and whatever he was playing on it.

Learned to play Soma today on bass. First time I've picked it up in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

syntaxfunction posted:

I've watched the series from the start and it's actually just Billy driving along and seeing places. Honestly seemed kind of cool of him to stop and chat to fans while sight seeing. He mentions freemasons a few times but not in a "they're out to get us" way but as comments on that they were everywhere at one stage.

He does make an "Illuminati confirmed" style joke at one stage, I forget which day. He was basically just cruising around seeing midwest (?) America. It was chill.

He went through new mexico and arizona on the way to california, which is where it all ended.

I started watching it not really knowing what to expect, but I really loved the whole thing. The little impromptu shows he put on were great, and it blew my mind that he spent basically a whole day with those two people that found him on a beach and just wanted to hang out.

There wasn't anything remotely political about the series. He was just going from tiny town to tiny town and, in a way, reconnecting with his own past as (he continually reminds us) a kid of working class parents who grew up in a working class neighborhood and had a lot of the same experiences again. Also it was really cute how every time he went to a laundrymat he talked about how long it had been since he did his own laundry.

• Locked thread