Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Zzulu posted:

This is a good show. I hope psycholady and psychodude get together again next season. I want to see psycho couple back

A lot of people have said that they have no idea why Joanna has been featured so prominently in season 2 when she only seems tangential to rest of the characters' interconnected stories. In a season that's featured lost, confused, struggling people, Joanna seems to be the only one with a clear plan and course of action and has managed to execute it to the best of her abilities. I think it's an intended contrast to the behind the scenes manipulation that Mr. Robot has been working, and in future seasons she'll end up as a pretty formidable wild card ally or villain, especially when she learns that Tyrell has been working to systematically destroy everything they'd been working towards.

Plus, she's a really nasty sociopath.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hate Joanna.

I was kind of glad she got her face beat in, even if it was "all part of her plan".

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Angela had been trying to expose ECorp by getting on the inside, but hit a brick wall, and overplayed her hand. The point where she gave up is when she realized that e-corp has people working for them inside of the government, so trying to prove anything this way is a waste.

I am guessing that this is what made Angela want to turn herself into the FBI for her involvement in 5/9 (and confess as much to Elliot): to get suspicion off her back from e-corp so that she isn't made a assassination target to keep a conspiracy under wraps. This also has the 'bonus' of getting the FBI off Elliot's back. Essentially sacrificing herself.

But that changed (obviously) after she was brought in to meet White Rose.

If the black Cadillac SUV that Angela comes out of/gets into when she tells the lawyer to drop everything is the same one that Elliot and Tyrell meet/take to the hacker warehouse, then that is a good easter egg as to how Tyrell and Angela were connected. Maybe Mr. Robot/White Rose brought her and Tyrell together. If Angela had given up hope that trying to bring Ecorp down from the inside would work, that would be a good reason why she'd tell the lawyer to drop everything- especially now that Angela is part of a plan that will do more physical damage to ECorp.

edit: I rewatched the opening scene of the finale to confirm that Wellick and Elliot were in a black Cadillac SUV. Unfortunately, the driver looked to be the same bodyguard the Wellicks have always had. Knowing that makes it tougher for my SUV theory to tie Angela and Tyrell together since the bodyguard would have had to have been in on it for a while at this point.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm pretty sure Angela and Tyrell have not met, except for that time at AllSafe. When Angela and Elliot split up on the subway, Angela was immediately kidnapped and Elliot was dragged into tracing Scott Knowles' phone. The next day is when Angela meets Whiterose and Elliot meets Tyrell. There just isn't enough time for that to happen. All I'm sure of is that Whiterose did something to drastically alter Angela's persona and gave her a phone telling her to expect a call from Tyrell. Far as I can tell there's no connection between the Wellick bodyguard/chauffeur and the Dark Army, even if they do drive similar black SUVs.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He/she just made her believe

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Shoren posted:

I'm pretty sure Angela and Tyrell have not met, except for that time at AllSafe. When Angela and Elliot split up on the subway, Angela was immediately kidnapped and Elliot was dragged into tracing Scott Knowles' phone. The next day is when Angela meets Whiterose and Elliot meets Tyrell. There just isn't enough time for that to happen. All I'm sure of is that Whiterose did something to drastically alter Angela's persona and gave her a phone telling her to expect a call from Tyrell. Far as I can tell there's no connection between the Wellick bodyguard/chauffeur and the Dark Army, even if they do drive similar black SUVs.

Ah, I forgot about Angela being told to 'expect a call'. The thing is that Elliot was in the middle of the Knowles trace when Angela asked him to meet her on the subway. So that means that Elliot met Tyrell the same night as the diner shooting? I'll probably have to rewatch the last three episodes.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I thought this season and finale was amazing. Different from season 1, sure, but great nonetheless. Disagree with the assertions on bad writing, framing, whatever.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Ah, I forgot about Angela being told to 'expect a call'. The thing is that Elliot was in the middle of the Knowles trace when Angela asked him to meet her on the subway. So that means that Elliot met Tyrell the same night as the diner shooting? I'll probably have to rewatch the last three episodes.

She wasn't explicitly told to expect a call, but when it cuts to her after Tyrell shot Elliot she knew it was Tyrell on the phone. Someone expected that to happen and wanted Angela to help.

I did get my events slightly mixed up though, you're right that Elliot finished the trace before meeting Angela. I still don't think she had contact with Tyrell in the meantime.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think that Elliot deliberately created both Mr Robot and amnesia boy, and subsequently Wellek AND White Rose's present personas. He mentioned how he reprogrammed himself in the very first episode to read E Corp as Evil Corp, he's frequently displayed a crazy level of knowledge about psychoactive drugs, is a master manipulator, and generally as a hacker solves problems by reprogramming systems. The clue is right in the name, Mr Robot: he is an entity capable of reprogramming himself and others.

Amnesia boy and Wellek were just as important to the plan as Mr Robot is. Mr Robot has the plans, memories and charisma. Amnesia Boy is his real personality, carefully separated and isolated. Wellek is, now, nothing so much as a zealot. Both Wellek and Mr Robot form Elliot's parachute. Amnesia Boy has deniability for days since he can't remember what Mr Robot has done, and Wellek is the fall guy, obviously, who he got to take the fall for the whole thing on TV.

My feeling is the gun is real, but it isn't shooting bullets. Either blank or a dart, supplying either a posthypnotic or psychoactive trigger to begin the reintegration of Elliot. That's why we saw Mr Robot flicker out and started hearing him from inside Elliot's head. I don't think reintegration was supposed to happen at this stage, it's a safety mechanism just like Wellek said, to prevent him from interfering with his own project. It's also possible that Wellek taking that action was designed to provide impetus for him killing himself. But I guess we'll see.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
After a exhaustive search I have discovered that Rami Malek does not like to smile in pictures.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

After a exhaustive search I have discovered that Rami Malek does not like to smile in pictures.

No problem, here ya go

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hollismason posted:

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Haha I love when Elliott starts taking adderal this season, that was hilarious

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don't get it.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Angela's birthday is one day before Elliot's father dies. In the first episode, Elliot is invited to her birthday drinks, but lurks around outside instead of going in.

He gets on the subway and meets Mr Robot for the first time, on the anniversary of his dad's death.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

Angela's birthday is one day before Elliot's father dies. In the first episode, Elliot is invited to her birthday drinks, but lurks around outside instead of going in.

He gets on the subway and meets Mr Robot for the first time, on the anniversary of his dad's death.

Hey good call.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So I may be wrong but: the evidence they found at fun society was a shell casing, right? Fueling the assumption it was used on Tyrell. But if he wasn't shot (let's assume this) then the gun had to fire because it was a casing and not a bullet. So ... where's the bullet?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

So I may be wrong but: the evidence they found at fun society was a shell casing, right? Fueling the assumption it was used on Tyrell. But if he wasn't shot (let's assume this) then the gun had to fire because it was a casing and not a bullet. So ... where's the bullet?

Yeah... I wonder why the gun was fired...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A question I have of Angela s final scene phone call is: who is she in the thick with? Did she only become aware of Tyrell being part of fsociety after meeting white Rose, or had she been conspiring with Mr robot and Tyrell all along?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't think she's been conspiring all along. I think that Whiterose showed her that her efforts to hurt Ecorp weren't doing poo poo and that if she really wanted to hurt them, she could help instead of getting in the way.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
I hope black samurai dude who helped Elliott in prison isn't going to kill them at the end... but I can accept that.

uftheory
May 30, 2003

Was there a time jump forward after Elliot was shot? On first viewing I assumed the scene with Angela was taking place after Phase 2 had already been completed. Elliot had been patched up and he was subsequently waking up (which somehow Angela was aware of) say maybe a few days later. It reminded me of how the skipped over phase 1 as well and seemed to maybe explain why the power situation escalated to a full outage as well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm at a Dennys right now and my server's name is Tyrell.

I really hope Dark Army doesn't gun me down.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

uftheory posted:

Was there a time jump forward after Elliot was shot? On first viewing I assumed the scene with Angela was taking place after Phase 2 had already been completed. Elliot had been patched up and he was subsequently waking up (which somehow Angela was aware of) say maybe a few days later. It reminded me of how the skipped over phase 1 as well and seemed to maybe explain why the power situation escalated to a full outage as well.

There was a jump, but it's hard to say how far forward. Elliot was shot during daylight hours and Angela got the call at night. There's no telling how long it might take for Elliot to wake up, and with how emotional Tyrell sounded it was probably the same day. Maybe the bigger question is how long does it take to generate enough hydrogen for the UPS's to cause a big enough explosion to wipe out those records. It's possible that the blackout there was a result of the building finally going down.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's not actually that important at his point, but how realistic is the stuxnet-type attack on generators anyway?

My guess would be that it's completely impossible to pull off due to the generators not being networked devices and batteries usually being stored in large, separate and well ventilated rooms.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cael posted:

It's in Elliot's gut :ssh:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't like it when the Swedish Tyrell talks to his danish wife in Swedish and her to him in Danish. It is very unrealistic as in reality, no one understands danish

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I don't like it when the Swedish Tyrell talks to his danish wife in Swedish and her to him in Danish. It is very unrealistic as in reality, no one understands danish

They are talking Swedish? I thought it was supposed to be Dutch.

All these knockoff German languages sound the same to me, just a bunch of guttural sounds and hisses

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Don't worry folks, no speculation here, just clarification. Put the tinfoil away.

Shoren posted:

The next day is when Angela meets Whiterose and Elliot meets Tyrell. There just isn't enough time for that to happen.
Just FYI the story trounces through the entire summer this season, so there's no clear indication as to how much time is passing between scenes at all. It's entirely possible Elliot is meeting Tyrell weeks after Angela meets Whiterose. There's no telling how much time went by when he was lucid dreaming.

Skizzzer posted:

I thought this season and finale was amazing. Different from season 1, sure, but great nonetheless. Disagree with the assertions on bad writing, framing, whatever.
Relative to the rest of television this is still the greatest show being put out. I get real negative in my posts only because Season 1 was rather damned perfect and Season 2 is lacking. As mentioned, it's the first half of Act 2 for a super-extended movie. It's going to have a major growing pain. It's just unfortunate that it is not translating well the way Act 1 translated perfectly.

As for the framing comments I made, that's less subjective opinion and more objective analysis. Watch an "every frame a painting" video sometime to understand the difference, it's pretty entertaining and you learn a lot! :)

uftheory posted:

On first viewing I assumed the scene with Angela was taking place after Phase 2 had already been completed.
Between this and the other poster talking about how the final power outage was Phase 2 happening, allow me to clarify for the both of you.
During the scene when Tyrell is explaining to Elliot about the paper document backups, while looking at a map of the USA he states they have brought in documents from "17 of 71 facilities around the country so far." Aside from the "oh hey those are mirrored digits" pattern that means nothing oh god please don't start making up theories based on that oh god er... *ahem* Anyway, the point is, there is still a lot of time to wait for all of the documents to get filed into the building before they set off Phase 2. A LOT of time. When you consider this season happened for 3 months (look up some dates, they're strewn around episodes so that someone can actually timeline this poo poo, would be nice if someone here could post that cuz gently caress me if I'm going to fine tooth comb that) and that those 17 are probably all pulled in from a time span longer than 1 week, then Phase 2 is still a bit of a ways off.

waitwhatno posted:

It's not actually that important at his point, but how realistic is the stuxnet-type attack on generators anyway?

My guess would be that it's completely impossible to pull off due to the generators not being networked devices and batteries usually being stored in large, separate and well ventilated rooms.
Like most hacks on the show, probably 100% possible. Colo facilities have massive networked power strips capable of letting users hard-reboot rack machines if necessary. Welcome to the Internet of things!

Another thing worth noting:
Do you folks all remember how there was some buzz at the end of Season 1 about how Season 2 would return to Shayla's murderer? Like Elliot would eventually find him? Or he would return to go after Elliot? Or somehow it would be re-integrated into the plot? It feels good and bad that, at the time, I was insisting to friends that it would literally never come back up again. Good because I totally called that right, bad because it would have been a great way to fill in some of that 7 episode jail time with a solid call back that would have made Shayla's plot less of what I have now identified it as being: Filler.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 24, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

waitwhatno posted:

They are talking Swedish? I thought it was supposed to be Dutch.

All these knockoff German languages sound the same to me, just a bunch of guttural sounds and hisses

Tyrell speaks Swedish, his wife speaks danish. The actors are also swedish and danish respectively. First time I heard him speak swedish took me by surprise because I don't usually expect my tiny language to appear in some big american show

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People really need to stop using the word filler. This isn't some anime that needs to pace its animation budget. :rolleyes:

Scenes might happen that don't directly tie into the main plot, but they are not "filler". They're just scenes. They might be there to develop the characters or the setting but they always serve a purpose and in a high quality show like this, are usually still very entertaining

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zzulu posted:

People really need to stop using the word filler. This isn't some anime that needs to pace its animation budget. :rolleyes:

Scenes might happen that don't directly tie into the main plot, but they are not "filler". They're just scenes. They might be there to develop the characters or the setting but they always serve a purpose and in a high quality show like this, are usually still very entertaining
If you read my filler post, you'd understand that what I'm talking about is not "negative filler" which is what the anime type of filler is. What I'm referring to is plot made for the TV show that would have not been in the film version that Mr. Robot was supposed to be. It can still be highly entertaining and well made, as most of this show actually is relative to other shows, but it's still technically plot added that is not necessary to the story originally developed for film. There are A plots and B plots like any normal show's story has but "filler" is C plots that are tenuously connected, at best, to the primary story. In the examples I've explained (Shayla's plot, jail plot) neither were worthy of being considered "important" to the main plot of the show and are thus C plots.

Apologies for co-opting a word used for anime but it seemed the most appropriate for the context of what I'm talking about.

Edit:

DaveKap posted:

Anyway, the point is, there is still a lot of time to wait for all of the documents to get filed into the building before they set off Phase 2. A LOT of time.
Just correcting myself: He goes on to say "within the next month, they'll have all the documents here." So, there you go, a proper timeline.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 24, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I don't think a television show exists without some form of filler. Filler itself is not a negative, and used well can really help to round out a setting and characters. Some of Avatar: The Last Airbender's most powerful and emotionally affecting episodes are technically filler. The problem is not when there is filler, but when there is too much of it, or when it's not spaced out enough. Shows have to carefully balance filler with plot advancement in order to keep audiences invested and feeling like they are going somewhere. Spending eight episodes of a twelve episode season on a filler plot is not a very good balance.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

counterfeitsaint posted:

Angela's complete heel turn is certainly bothersome, but now that I've had time to think about it, Tyrell's utterly different personality is the one thing that bugs me the most. Season one Tyrell was a spiteful, arrogant pyschopath who didn't give a gently caress about anything except for himself and his wife. He spent at most 24 hours with Elliot 5 months ago, and now he's this lacky who's in puppy love and groveling for Elliot's approval? What the poo poo? I could understand Mr Robot's charisma bringing Tyrell into the fold, but he'd still be his rear end in a top hat cynical self while working to bring down the world, not blubbering on the phone to a women he's never spoken to, crying about how much he loves this guy he hasn't seen in five months and barely spent any time with.

I think they've implied quite heavily that they've both spent a significant amount of time together, off camera. We just don't see that because we're stuck with Elliot's perspective.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I keep seeing people mentioning that the Ray plot was filler and didn't have anything to do with the main plot but it was the way to get Elliot on a computer and able to coordinate the hack on the FBI from prison. He fixed (and then exposed) Ray's site, but he also coordinated the FBI hack. This directly resulted in the Dark Army getting him released.

Spergatory posted:

Avatar: The Last Airbender's most powerful and emotionally affecting episodes...

Post/username combo...

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ray's plot also eased us in to the idea that bitcoin is important in the new economy.

Ray is also thematically super relevant. The idea that Ray is criminal mastermind, who "doesn't look" at a bunch of the bad stuff he's responsible for in order to feel like a good person? Sound familiar?

If we consider that Mr. Robot is working with the Dark Army, Elliot is probably even worse than Ray.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's really hard to think of another show that actually did filler well though. It's pretty drat uncommon for tv writers to actually have enough freedom and forethought to say "hey, we need to fill time, but let's do so in a meaningful way that reveals more about the characters or expands the world of the story." Most just go "hey, we need to fill time. MEANINGLESS ROMANTIC SUBPLOT, CHARACTERS NOT COMMUNICATING FOR NO ADEQUATE REASON, etc." Even other shows I really like fall into the trap of having side plots that go nowhere and waste huge swaths of time (I'm looking at you, Justified's "[Spoiler] goes to prison!" Plot).

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Don't worry folks, no speculation here, just clarification. Put the tinfoil away.

Just FYI the story trounces through the entire summer this season, so there's no clear indication as to how much time is passing between scenes at all. It's entirely possible Elliot is meeting Tyrell weeks after Angela meets Whiterose. There's no telling how much time went by when he was lucid dreaming.

Relative to the rest of television this is still the greatest show being put out. I get real negative in my posts only because Season 1 was rather damned perfect and Season 2 is lacking. As mentioned, it's the first half of Act 2 for a super-extended movie. It's going to have a major growing pain. It's just unfortunate that it is not translating well the way Act 1 translated perfectly.

Sorry, but this is your opinion. You (and others in this thread) haven't established in any convincing way how season 2 was not "translated" perfectly. I struggle to see how you make such an assertion without even knowing Esmail's end game.

DaveKap posted:

As for the framing comments I made, that's less subjective opinion and more objective analysis. Watch an "every frame a painting" video sometime to understand the difference, it's pretty entertaining and you learn a lot! :)

No, it's not. If you are asserting that your analysis of the framing and cinematography pales from season 2 to 1, please demonstrate how. It's not enough to simple say that it's bad, and then to follow up with saying that your bad opinion is objective.

Thank you for the recommendation. It is one of my favourite youtube series. You watching it too doesn't substantiate anything you're saying. If you want to say you're disappointed with the cinematography in season 2, and you want others to agree with you, you need to show how and why it fails, like Tony Zhou does.

DaveKap posted:

Another thing worth noting:
Do you folks all remember how there was some buzz at the end of Season 1 about how Season 2 would return to Shayla's murderer? Like Elliot would eventually find him? Or he would return to go after Elliot? Or somehow it would be re-integrated into the plot? It feels good and bad that, at the time, I was insisting to friends that it would literally never come back up again. Good because I totally called that right, bad because it would have been a great way to fill in some of that 7 episode jail time with a solid call back that would have made Shayla's plot less of what I have now identified it as being: Filler.

Spergatory posted:

I don't think a television show exists without some form of filler. Filler itself is not a negative, and used well can really help to round out a setting and characters. Some of Avatar: The Last Airbender's most powerful and emotionally affecting episodes are technically filler. The problem is not when there is filler, but when there is too much of it, or when it's not spaced out enough. Shows have to carefully balance filler with plot advancement in order to keep audiences invested and feeling like they are going somewhere. Spending eight episodes of a twelve episode season on a filler plot is not a very good balance.

Can we stop talking about anime? Was season 2 of the Wire filler?

Season 1 was about Elliot. Season 2 is about Elliot. None of it was filler.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I like this.

I wonder if any one else has noticed the similarities between Elliot and Whiterose? Consider:

Both have 2 personalities.
Both are obsessed with time. Rose keeps track of it; Elliot keeps losing track of it.
Both are leaders of hacker groups.
Both think Angela is important.
Both want Ecorp to fail.

Yet we haven't seen them interact in a significant way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was rewatching the finale yesterday and a piece dialog that got my attention was when Elliot asked Tyrell "so you are the most wanted man in the world how come you can just walk around town like that", which is a question that I was asking myself too (I like how Elliot frequently channels the audience doubts and theories, being usually so clueless about what's going on as us)

Is interesting that he never answers it and instead just says "wow you really forgotten everything ". Makes me think that there will be a good explanation for that too that will be revealed in season 3

edit: also, I can't decide if the guy who plays Tyrrell is a bad actor or a very good one. He always seems to trying too hard, wherever he is acting despair or confidence (and those are the two states he seems to alternate), which can be bad acting but also fits the character very well

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe Tyrell had reconstructive surgery to hide his identity, but Elliot still just sees him as he was...

• Locked thread