Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Multiple things can share a flaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

when people compare games to sfiv they are usually comparing to ultra, and when people compare games to marvel 3 they are comparing it to umvc3, and for sf2, ST. why default to comparing to the worst version?

Hard to find footage of post-patch sfxt because everyone dropped it

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

To SFxT's credit at every single east coast major I've gone to there's this one dude hopping around trying to wrangle up players for it. That's dedication lol

Archenteron posted:

Seeing the still active SSS community makes me pine for the days of the GameCube Naruto fighting games being a thing. BL is in Florida, he probably remembers willvolution and the GNTs

I think they ran GNT at CEO back in the poverty rooms. Possibly NEC last year too though I might be misremembering, I played a lot of Garou and Windjammers that weekend.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

he's just summarizing what games were featured at evo and the individual quirks of each scene/game for people who may have tuned in

He's wrong about one thing,

SFV is like the big tkd gym in town run by an olympian who rarely shows up

Xrd is the tiny hole in the wall judo dojo where you you and the 10 other guys in class get all kinds of individual attention and coaching

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Dj Meow Mix posted:

To SFxT's credit at every single east coast major I've gone to there's this one dude hopping around trying to wrangle up players for it. That's dedication lol
I think I know this guy, he's local to me. Or there are two people like this on the east coast which is difficult to imagine.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dj Meow Mix posted:

i remember like old days where dark geese would try and get ppl to enter every single snk game

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I saw SFxT setups at ECT, Anime Expo, and Evo

These people are clearly not right in the head

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're the men whose will shall bring this world into the future

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Same guy who wrote that SRK How to Play Fighting Games ebook, by the way. Dude's a friend and writes cool articles.

I like this article because the guy he called out for "losing the spirit of Marvel" while spending a year in Korea is a good friend of ours. I actually played Marvel with said friend once or twice while in Korea, maybe I was part of the problem

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

anime was right posted:

i remember like old days where dark geese would try and get ppl to enter every single snk game

We have a dude who goes around insisting on SFIV money matches, he does not give a drat what you are playing at the time

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I sat next to a guy at ECCC and talked about games a lot and wow that's the guy! He was really cool, I had no idea those were his credentials.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SHame he's working on Rising Thunder.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

He very politely tolerated me talking about smash and in retrospect I appreciate his courtesy. His comment about "if you're going to be a Smash player you probably already are one" is interesting. Did You Know It?? The specific platformer Smash is built from is Kirby's Dreamland, that's where you get the pass-through platforms and airjumps from.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Pat is a cool dude with an even cooler girlfriend, follow them both on Twitter.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have this reoccuring problem since I switched to using a stick like months ago where everything feels good initially but the longer I play the more I can't really do a QCF motion. Like my first game I am going QCF like the dickens without a problem. But a half hour later it is like my wrist cant get through the motion all the way, so QCF - HK is coming out as a sweep. Like if I think super hard I can do it but the non-thinking lizard brain response part is costing me lots of matches because maybe my wrist is tired or something? Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe it is a joystick grip thing?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
It's a grind it out more thing.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

It's incredibly common to get sloppy joystick inputs (mike z special) and to press the button too early when you're in the heat of battle. Make sure you're tapping the button: both button presses and button releases (negative edge) count towards special move inputs in sf.

Getting clean motions is just a matter of practice and learning muscle memory, so just play more and don't hesitate to hit up training mode, even if it's just to shoot 100 hadoukens (and for fucks sake practice on both 1p and 2p sides!!!!). You should always try to input the motion cleanly instead of doing it asap every time (e.g. do the motion and then the button press, and gradually reduce the interval between the final directional input and the button press as you get used to it); you will naturally get faster as you progress. Think of it like good lifting form. Speaking of which this will sound like bro science but when I was practicing DPs against the super turbo ai, I would remind myself 'always make sure to walk forward' as to not input shoryuken as df d df, so maybe you can try something similar. Though you should absolutely do df d df + punch for DP if you're playing sf5 lol

bad metaphors fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 23, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok thanks, I'll try to work on being less of a poo poo rear end instead of changing anything

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
My main issue with stick execution is when i need to mash out a super cancel quickly. Stuff like canceling a qcb special into a qcf x2 super in kof.

I can easily do the super motion, but doing it quick enough tends to make it less clean and miss inputs. Like
Qcb + punch -> d,df,d,df,f (missing first f)

Is there some general guide on execution that i should read/watch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
e: wrong thread

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 23, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Buffis posted:

My main issue with stick execution is when i need to mash out a super cancel quickly. Stuff like canceling a qcb special into a qcf x2 super in kof.

I can easily do the super motion, but doing it quick enough tends to make it less clean and miss inputs. Like

do the motion carefully and then do it faster

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
IIRC Justin Wong 's training regimen for execution is to perform the motion 100 times and start over if he messes up

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Buffis posted:

In SFV atleast, you only need df,d,df for uppercut, and only need d,f,d,f for super, just have to practice and be aware of which one you need depending on combo/situation.

Generally though, you want to shoot for accuracy over speed, speed develops very slowly over long periods of time (I mean like hours of practice every day over many years.) If you try to "force" the speed like many do in the heat of the moment, you will ALWAYS be inaccurate to some degree and over time will actually "learn" the mistakes as habits. Speed has to develop naturally, so you should practice accuracy above all else. This is actually true for anything, not just fighting games, tennis, violin, whatever, that's just how muscle memory is. The downside is it's extremely mind numbing and many dont bother though and just take their chances, especially since it's just a game you play and not a professional aspiration for most. It's still better to try for accuracy, for example if you're inputting qcb+p, qcf qcf+p, even if you're doing it too slow for the super to come out, don't try to force it, just keep inputting it ACCURATELY, as fast as you can while maintaining accuracy and after a week or two your hand will become fast enough on it's own.

Here is a rule of thumb: try to input qcf as slow as you can with input display on. If you see ANY slip up and you will, you have to understand that inaccuracy becomes exaggerated the faster you input it. You should not be making any mistakes at all when you're going slow. You have to unlearn the bad muscle habits and condition yourself to do it correctly and it's a very slow and painfully tedious process. If you're young and/or new to stick specifically, you may find yourself improving faster than you might think, as long as you are practicing accuracy.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

dragon enthusiast posted:

IIRC Justin Wong 's training regimen for execution is to perform the motion 100 times and start over if he messes up

If this was true he'd still be practicing double QCF from the first time he dropped Rufus ultra in SF4.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Revelator is on sale for like 23 bux on PS4 so I guess now is the time to get it. pretty funny it happens now because I was just wondering "hmmm SFV got patched maybe I'll spend a few bucks on the other characters" but lol not anymore

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

Revelator is on sale for like 23 bux on PS4 so I guess now is the time to get it. pretty funny it happens now because I was just wondering "hmmm SFV got patched maybe I'll spend a few bucks on the other characters" but lol not anymore

For anyone with a ps4, this is cheap enough to justify buying it now, and then when it comes out on PC (early next year hopefully.) Wasn't PC sign only $30 bucks anyway?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Booyah- posted:

For anyone with a ps4, this is cheap enough to justify buying it now, and then when it comes out on PC (early next year hopefully.) Wasn't PC sign only $30 bucks anyway?

It actually released with a 1-week discount and only ended up being around $25 when I bought Sign on PC, more or less.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sometimes to improve your execution you just need to sleep on it

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

I remember some story James Chen (I think??) told about Tokido, where he woke up and just practiced and E. Honda combo in CVS2 for about 5 hours straight. It's no wonder a player's execution is good when they've been doing stuff like that since 2001 or earlier.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/779382441995665408

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

inthesto posted:

I hit a corner TK bomber loop on a guy in Xrd on my first locals back after not playing for a month (when I usually just drop those endlessly in training mode and don't even bother going for them in actual matches). Sometimes you just rest and let the magic happen when you're not as stressed out about it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

attackmole posted:

I hit a corner TK bomber loop on a guy in Xrd on my first locals back after not playing for a month. Sometimes you just rest and let the magic happen when you're not as stressed out about it.

I remember reading something about memory that said long breaks (more than "sleeping" on stuff, although that's also beneficial) actually help with improving memorization or grasping certain concepts. I assume that also includes muscle memory until a certain point.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:eyepop: I mean it's accurate but I wouldn't expect Justin Wong of all people to say that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It also really depends on the games you play. I think a lot of us probably began on SF2 cabs with American sticks which demand a pretty precise level of execution and extremely definite inputs. I could see how if you began with something like SF4 you might have to really grind it out in order to get your inputs down because a lot of modern games have really lax input (see: SF4 reading df, df as DP).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cloofish posted:

:eyepop: I mean it's accurate but I wouldn't expect Justin Wong of all people to say that.
the best fighting game currently out is revelator

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^yeah

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It also really depends on the games you play. I think a lot of us probably began on SF2 cabs with American sticks which demand a pretty precise level of execution and extremely definite inputs. I could see how if you began with something like SF4 you might have to really grind it out in order to get your inputs down because a lot of modern games have really lax input (see: SF4 reading df, df as DP).

sfv reads practically any inputs containing df as dp. its really sloppy feeling to know for a fact you threw a fireball but get srk and cc'd into a huge combo because you made the grave mistake of walking forward prior to qcf and hit punch a frame early

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

inthesto posted:

this goes for improving everything. need rest to make gains

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Buffis posted:

turn on the input display and make sure you're actually hitting the diagonal, then do it over and over until get the feel of it on your stick :tipshat:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

the best fighting game currently out is revelator

I disagree but I'm probably the worst FG player on something awful so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

cloofish posted:

I disagree but I'm probably the worst FG player on something awful so...

did you go/have fun at locals?