Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm kind of bummed that Sony is releasing the PS4 Pro around the same time as the PSVR. I know preorders sold out, but I have a hard time seeing console gamers paying $400 for a peripheral , particularly now that for many of them it's gonna be VR vs a new upgraded console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So Oculus + Controllers is only $50 cheaper than Vive, it will have slightly less functionality unless additional cameras and cords are bought, but it will be higher quality thanks to a longer development time and being able to learn from the Vive's mistakes.

Gen1 VR: the most pointless of debates

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're going off the $148.80 someone posted earlier, that was a 1488 joke which is a neo nazi thing. There have been some leaks of European prices. Touch will probably end up being $199.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Finally ready for Oculus Touch, moved some furniture, now I got plenty of lebensraum.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Finally ready for Oculus Touch, moved some furniture, now I got plenty of lebensraum.

:golfclap:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm kind of bummed that Sony is releasing the PS4 Pro around the same time as the PSVR. I know preorders sold out, but I have a hard time seeing console gamers paying $400 for a peripheral , particularly now that for many of them it's gonna be VR vs a new upgraded console.

I suspect they'll do Pro/VR bundles though, which might push some product.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
big news. palmer luckey announced new 3d experiences including the 'Address to the Reichstag' and 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
palmer is kind of what youd get if there was a chubby kid in school who got picked on and trolled people on 4chan / loved memes and then got told he was actually really super important and deserved lots of money

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yer' a libertarian tech millionaire Harry.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If he were a libertarian, he'd be posting Gary Johnson memes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I thought pcmasterrace was a joke!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

If he were a libertarian, he'd be posting Gary Johnson memes.

Nah, I've been watching nerds call themselves libertarians as an excuse to vote straight ticket R for years.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I dunno, Luckey strikes me as someone who'd back a pro-Trump shitposting group "for the lulz". Insofar as he has a political philosophy he's probably nominally Libertarian, in that he's a rich white dude who wants the gov't to gently caress off so he can do his thing. Kind of like Carmack, actually... God, I hope he doesn't wade into this.

Being the bleeding-heart that I am, I'm not inclined to completely dismiss him as an awful person now and forever, since he's a home-schooled dude in his early 20's who wound up with a fuckton of money. He's got plenty of time to learn some lessons and grow up. More difficult since he's got all that Facebook cash to cushion his bad decisions, so a good starter lesson would be "actions have consequences", as Oculus censures/removes him from the company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everyone goes through their phase where they have terrible opinions. Maybe he'll grow out of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rich people don't grow out of things, cause the money is validation of their beliefs. Nice work, kickstarters.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I dunno, Luckey strikes me as someone who'd back a pro-Trump shitposting group "for the lulz". Insofar as he has a political philosophy he's probably nominally Libertarian, in that he's a rich white dude who wants the gov't to gently caress off so he can do his thing. Kind of like Carmack, actually... God, I hope he doesn't wade into this.

Being the bleeding-heart that I am, I'm not inclined to completely dismiss him as an awful person now and forever, since he's a home-schooled dude in his early 20's who wound up with a fuckton of money. He's got plenty of time to learn some lessons and grow up. More difficult since he's got all that Facebook cash to cushion his bad decisions, so a good starter lesson would be "actions have consequences", as Oculus censures/removes him from the company.

In California it's against the law to retaliate against an employee for their off-duty participation in politics or political campaigns, so depending on how things proceed it will certainly be interesting.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Being the bleeding-heart that I am, I'm not inclined to completely dismiss him as an awful person now and forever, since he's a home-schooled dude in his early 20's who wound up with a fuckton of money.

I wouldn't, either, if he was just a Trump supporter. Maybe even if he just wrote a check to the Trump campaign. But pouring tons of cash into THAT - the Milo/Alt-Right/Pepe-verse? gently caress it, he's an awful person.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/Polytron/status/779392568425455616

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
as long as steamvr supports the rift, you can run through everything

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, but they'll detect what HMD you're using and put a little hitler mustache on your avatar if its a Rift.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I can't believe they called the fourth reich CV1

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme
they should strap Luckey into that VR refugee film until he grows some goddamn empathy

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bhodi posted:

as long as steamvr supports the rift, you can run through everything

Which is why this is very tricky for Oculus. Developers can boycott the Oculus store without losing customers, but Oculus still takes the hit of lost revenue and store presence. And unlike consumer boycotts developer boycotts are newsworthy even in small numbers, and developers are much less likely to quietly go back on their word because they're under public scrutiny.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

Everyone goes through their phase where they have terrible opinions. Maybe he'll grow out of it.

Yeah, I had a friend in college who was about as dedicated an Ayn Rand fanboy as you're likely to find. A couple decades, some life experience, and a divorce later, and he's an Obama Democrat. Difference, though, is that he wasn't filthy rich back in his solipsistic 20's.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hey guys! I just bought a Vive and wanted to find out which games I shou-- :yikes:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Come join us in the Vive thread. Heck, if you miss shitposting we have knifegrab for that.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I just feel like there's been a lot of overreaction to this.

He's just an idiot giving money to a dumb group.
Oh wait Max Temkin is also an idiot giving money to another dumb group.

It's not like Oculus / Facebook is shoving his views down your throat. There's plenty of other products that we use everyday that are ran/led by people with questionable political choices and noone makes a stink about that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

w00tazn posted:

It's not like Oculus / Facebook is shoving his views down your throat. There's plenty of other products that we use everyday that are ran/led by people with questionable political choices and noone makes a stink about that.
Okay, sure, but this is kinda like VR's Chik-fil-A moment.
Even if you say the guy is separate from the product, it now has a bad association tied to it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

w00tazn posted:

It's less that he is doing it and more how he is doing it and who he is and where he happens to be professionally. Mix that up with apprehension people already had about Facebook taking over Oculus and naturally this is much more of a tinder box. I also don't understand the overreaction part, this is virtual reality, it's a brand new commercial thing that is of no consequence and companies can and will do all sorts of things including not supporting a company because they don't like a specific person.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Haha isn't that a PS4VR exclusive?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If and when I get a VR headset I know I'm investing in a platform. It's not just a matter of features I'm offered this generation -- five more years down the line I'll get an upgrade and I might be stuck in one or another infrastructure. I got an iPad 1 back in the day and got a bunch of apps so when I finally bought a smartphone I went iPhone over android just because I had a sunk cost associated with the iOS envornment / storefront. Palmer's politics may not affect the physical product as it stands now but it's hard to have faith in the consumer friendliness of the organization long-term if the leader actually seriously espouses Trump as a candidate for president. His faith in Trump means I have no faith in him and hence very little faith in the platform he's building.

Things could change by the time I get VR because it's looking like it'll be next year at best finance-wise, but at the moment if I had to make the choice even if the Vive was markedly worse I'd prefer to buy it because long-term I trust Valve's weird opaque indifference over a company owned by facebook and managed at the highest level by a guy who thinks Trump is a good example for how to run a railroad.

Has anyone made jokes about walled gardens yet? Because Trump likes walls, you see. :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, PSVR launch game but almost definitely going to come out on PC.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Poetic Justice posted:

Haha isn't that a PS4VR exclusive?

For now, but they always used the coded language that implies the exclusivity would eventually end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
And chick fill a is still delicious.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If meme's and shitposting are illegal now, I guess I'll turn myself in to the authorities.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

If you're going off the $148.80 someone posted earlier, that was a 1488 joke which is a neo nazi thing. There have been some leaks of European prices. Touch will probably end up being $199.

Plus it'll come with a second camera, which is supposed to facilitate roomscale gaming.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/StarFire2258/status/779421094771949568

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If this removes Palmer from the company I would say it's a good move and a long time coming. He founded Oculus and had some good ideas but it's time for him to get out and let the adults handle things.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
So now what, Facebook saves Oculus from Palmer Luckey? What a mixed up world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/vr-devs-pull-support-for-oculus-rift-until-palmer-luckey-steps-down?utm_source=mbtwitter

Hoo boy this sure is fun :munch:

https://twitter.com/Polytron/status/779392568425455616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/cambrian_era/status/779291472302526468?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/TTLabsVR/status/779155770927480832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/ScrutaGames/status/779134849512857601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw