Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The amazing thing is that I remember the next set of stages being the ones that really broke CJacobs :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 4 - Death Canyon

"Tex Avery and Jim Henson had a child and it took a poo poo and that was Bubsy."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Welcome to the Lost Land! Woo! That this stage is called "The Lost Land" is kind of misleading, since the game's entire setting it technically the lost land. The lost land is similar to Earth and is vaguely connected to it in that occasional portals open up and things from Earth show up there--which is why dinosaurs, apes, and humans exist in the Lost Land. According to Turok lore, the boss of Turok 2, the Primagen, is responsible for creating the Lost Land. It was flying its spaceship around and it was damaged or something and created some sort of magnetic wave that collected bits of junk to it while it careened through time and space until it ultimately wound up looking like a planet. This is also why there's aliens and robots and other non-Earth like junk in the Lost Land: it's a celestial lint roller. Oh, another oddity about the Lost Land is that time only sort of exists in it which allows for writers to just go nuts with dinosaurs and robots.

Turok Fun Fact: Tal'Set once went toe-to-toe with a killer Chocobo!

I'm joined by PSWII60, who is currently running a Let's Play of the entire N64 Turok series, and is able to provide commentary on differences between the original console release and Night Dive's remastered version. The thread is currently partway through Turok 2: The Seeds of Evil, so if you're interested in seeing a complete run of the N64 version of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, that game is completed (along with some bonus videos showing off some other stuff).

Link to thread:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Let's celebrate the weekend with more Turok. PSWII60 joins me again for the last update as we storm the Campaigner's fortress.

The Campaigner is a robot dude with an army of other dudes (and dinosaurs) at his command, other robot dudes included. He doesn't say much in the game, but he appeared in a number of the old Acclaim comics. The Campaigner's ultimate goal of the game is to find all the Chronoscepter pieces and use it to rule the universe--I guess nobody told him about it's 3-shot ammo limitation. This is the justification for why there are enemy forces throughout all of the Lost Land--they are looking for the Chronoscepter. It's poetic justice that Turok finds all the pieces first and uses the Chronoscepter against the Campaigner. No space-time rending, though; in Turok's hands, the Chronoscepter acts like a stronger Fusion Cannon.

Aside from the Longhunter himself, the Campaigner is the only humanoid boss in the game. He's quick, has a devastating pickax attack and teleport around and shoot plasma bolts from his robot hands. He also has explosives. There's a few stages to the fight reflecting how much damage he's taken. Do enough and his shield will break. Do a bit more and he starts teleporting around more frequently. Stay mobile. This is true of all the bosses, but the Campaigner is particularly agile even before you'd dealt loads of damage to him.

It's important to note that certain weapons don't do damage to him--he is a robot after all. Normal arrows, bullets, and plasma weapons are ineffective. Tek arrows, minigun rounds, and explosives are the only way to bring him down. Fortunately, if you score direct Chronoscepter hits on him, he won't last long enough to become a headache.

After the destruction of the Campaigner and his shoddy fortress, Tal'Set tosses the Chronoscepter into an active volcano, destroying it forever.

The end.

--except for the fact that the Chronoscepter's destruction triggered an earthquake that awoke the Primagen, who had been trapped in its lightship at the centre of the Lost Land. Now awake, it wants to power its ship up and fly away, an action that would destroy the Lost Land and further the interests of the cosmic entity known as "Oblivion". Of course, all this happens in Turok 2: The Seeds of Evil and Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, of which at least one is going to see a remake at the hands of Night Dive studios.

Thanks for watching!!

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 28, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, turok owns bones.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

CJacobs posted:

Man, turok owns bones.

Is that slang

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, he also probably has ownership of a lot of dinosaur bones, perhaps as trophies of the five hundred billion dinos he has mercilessly slaughtered with shotguns over the years, but yes I meant it as slang for "he's a cool dude"

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
I'd like to get my hands on some Turok Son of Stone comics, but they are expensive especially in quality condition.

The Wizards play Bubsy Part 5 - Gettin' There
"We decided it would be better to kill ourselves."

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Samurai_Jazz

Samurai_Jazz is an adventure hack 'n slash done in a pseudo 8-bit presentation. The game combines noir and samurai styles for a very surreal aesthetic, and some outstanding music. The gameplay is difficult and polarizing. It's probable to die countless times during a single playthrough, but the rooms are all laid out like miniature action puzzles, which instantly means I'm a big fan. I dunno if I'd recommend it to anyone, but there's a reason I'm the one playing it, after all. It deserves to be shared one way or another.

Videos

So his story goes.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 29, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I mean, that's a very vague name for an entire chapter, but okay

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 6 - RAMPANT BEAVERY

In which Lee and Tony play the levels that start to break people.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mappo posted:

The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 6 - RAMPANT BEAVERY

In which Lee and Tony play the levels that start to break people.

Holy poo poo, you actually beat the river UFO :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure you are the first human beings ever to do so. Congratulations!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
They're called The Wizards for a reason, and it ain't for their magic missiles. Or at least not just that.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Failed to keep the thread updated this last month, but the streams have been on a minor hiatus, so you haven't missed too much. We are however done with the main plot of the game: I have the final two badges, we've fought Kyogre, and the latest recording ends in front of the Pokemon League. My buddies BigTUnit1 and JigglyJacob also joined me for parts 40-43.

(By ChibiWisdom)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Hey all, good to see this is still going strong. Sorry for the lack of updates, just been busy and trying to find a good schedule to do much of anything fun besides streaming (well, editing kind of walks the line between fun and work, but you know what I mean), but that should all be over with.

Speaking of "over with," no more Dark Souls 3 until From fixes whatever they did to make the auto-summon covenants so awful. :argh: So instead of the Dark Double Feature, we'll just do Alan Wake and Dragon's Dogma until the former's done, then probably double Dogmas after that.

Alan Wake - Episode 5: The Clicker Part 1/3
Well, we left off on my favorite episode, and while it's definitely downhill from there this one is still fun. Sarah is pretty cool and it's a shame she wasn't used much in the story earlier.
On a technical note, I forgot to hit record on the Elgato (for the high-bitrate local capture) until about halfway through the stream, so it's on the lower bitrate until then. What, me forget things? :sweatdrop:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 03 - Leon, Help!
This one has 2 big skip points (with annotations letting you know when, naturally), since not everybody wants to see another bout of character creation or the last couple minutes where I explain things to chatters who've never seen the game before. In between those is Berne's teamwork challenge, and we open with the first main-game boss fight (...sort of), so there's that!

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I'm pretty sure you are the first human beings ever to do so. Congratulations!

Don't be so quick to congratulate these poor souls, the levels after that are even more painful.

The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 7 - Even the Episode is Broken

Sorry the video quality for this episode isn't so good, so have another episode!

The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 8 - Jungle Japes

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's good to see people keeping up their motivation to record, even if DS3 apparently broke itself

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Wayne posted:

Hey all, good to see this is still going strong.

we few. we happy few. we band of posters.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

I like to think there are people here that just aren't saying anything, otherwise this is a very depressing reality where we click on each other's videos 20+ times to foster the illusion of company and interest.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm here! I might even have something to contribute soon-ish, when I manage to muster up enough :effort: to hook that Sega Saturn up to my recording setup.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
can confirm, i am clicking on everyone's videos 20+ times

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm here! I might even have something to contribute soon-ish, when I manage to muster up enough :effort: to hook that Sega Saturn up to my recording setup.

Rolling to the game console instead of walking makes it much easier to get things done, in my experience

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I like to think there are people here that just aren't saying anything, otherwise this is a very depressing reality where we click on each other's videos 20+ times to foster the illusion of company and interest.
Oh, no tears, please. It's a waste of good Bubsy!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tell Me Why I Had to LP POWERSLAVE!

Well, I just kinda wanted to, really. PowerSlave (or Exhumed, if you're in Europe) is something of a Sega Saturn cult classic, an Egyptian-themed FPS with open-ended exploration elements and upgrade system akin to what you'd see in Metroid. The basic plot is that some alien jerks have exhumed the mummy of Ramses II and are draining its power to summon hordes of evil creatures and take over the world, and the nameless special forces protagonist is tasked by the pharaoh's spirit to gather a bunch of ancient artifacts and stop all this nonsense.

PowerSlave was also ported to PlayStation and PC, but the original Saturn version is generally considered to be the definitive.one (the old PC version, powered by the Build engine, is pretty much a completely different game and best avoided -- if you want to play this game on PC, get your hands on the fanmade PowerSlave EX). The game was developed by Lobotomy Software, who would later use the PowerSlave engine (known as SlaveDriver) for their Saturn ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake, and closed down shortly afterwards because those ports were so expensive to make.

Part 01: Ramses' Tomb and Karnak

The reason this is in the casual LPs thread is that I'm playing almost completely blind (having only played through the first couple of levels before) and therefore have no idea what I'm doing. It's also supposed to be more of a side project I occasionally work on when I'm not updating my main LP thread (GTA IV as of this writing). There are also some technical difficulties, although those actually aren't happening due to the game CD itself being dodgy (like I assume in the video) but because playing a PAL game on an NTSC system is causing some weirdness. It's pretty minor, though, and the gameplay isn't affected at all.

edit: Here's the intro that I had to skip due to the aforementioned tech issues.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 27, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is good, this is what videogames are meant to be. Playing strange FPSes blind on the internet straight from your Sega Saturn with incorrect compatibility. That feeling of discovery, of adventure, you can smell it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Powerslave. I had that... on the PC. Gonna watch this with interest.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This game makes me feel existential awareness

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm not going to post a new PowerSlave episode every day or anything like that, but since the first video really just covers the tutorial I wanted to get a video with an actual level out as soon as I could.

*image in thumbnail does not actually appear in the episode, normally you don't want to get this close to the Anubis enemies

Part 02: Karnak Sanctuary

I've mentioned that the controls are a bit awkward, as you might expect from a console FPS from this era. You move around with the d-pad, strafe with the shoulder buttons, and look up and down (inverted, of course) with the d-pad while holding the X button. It takes a bit of getting used to, shall we say.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm not going to post a new PowerSlave episode every day or anything like that, but since the first video really just covers the tutorial I wanted to get a video with an actual level out as soon as I could.

*image in thumbnail does not actually appear in the episode, normally you don't want to get this close to the Anubis enemies

Part 02: Karnak Sanctuary

I've mentioned that the controls are a bit awkward, as you might expect from a console FPS from this era. You move around with the d-pad, strafe with the shoulder buttons, and look up and down (inverted, of course) with the d-pad while holding the X button. It takes a bit of getting used to, shall we say.

So the L and R buttons don't control the camera? Aw, I guessed wrong.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well, I suppose you could remap them to do that. I would definitely prefer to have strafing on the d.pad, but looking around with L and R doesn't exactly seem optimal either. Unfortunately, PowerSlave doesn't support the Saturn's analog controller either, not that it'd really help since it only has one analog stick but at least it might feel a little bit smoother.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 9 - Are You Still Playin' This Thing?
Yes, yes they are.

So Lee and Tony kind of cheat on this one, but thats because the game cheats. See after every three levels the game will give you a passcode to get back to that point if you loose all your lives. But for the next to last level, it doesn't give you a passcode.

So if you loose all your lives on the last level, you will have to go through 4 levels of this stupid game to beat it. So they found a passcode that will allow them to return to the last level.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Our short, strange journey comes to an end

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Blind Sally posted:

Band of Bubsy?

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Our short, strange journey comes to an end

Good job! :patriot: I'll definitely check some of that out later, but "samurai jazz" has a lot of heavy lifting to do as a concept to make up for that sprite style and palette, heh.

Speaking of palettes, who's up for some more browns and greys in Alan Wake and Dragon's Dogma?!

Alan Wake - Episode 5: The Clicker Part 2/3
Yes, this is a thumbnail of Alan Wake, the "psychological suspense horror" game, showing our hero blasting zombies into dust while escaping onto a helicopter. Not saying that's good or bad, just... leaving that out there.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Part 04 - Well-Wishing
We get back to the rest of the early-game (and thus easily missable) quests, including a scene you have to go back to Cassardis pretty much exactly when I do to see (and it's pretty neat, some of the best/funniest facial work in the game). Speaking of "early-game," low-level Hard mode continues to live up to its reputation with the saurian nest fight. If you're doing this challenge too, note that you can come back to this later, at least after Gran Soren.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It never occurred to me to consider Alan Wake a full-on horror game, so much as an all-around adventure title. I feel like people who just wanted to be scared might be a bit disappointed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Alan Wake is Max Payne 2.5

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
To overthink things. Maybe that's part of the story.

Alan never wanted to write horror, that was his editor/the dark presence's doing.

Now, as he fights back, he's wresting his story back to its original idea, with action hero scenes and one liners.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
The Wizards play Bubsy - Part 10 - CATS IN SPACE
This final level is so bad, Lee and Tony think they are Jeff Goldblum.

The Wizards play Bubsy - FINALE
The last episode! Do they rage quit or do they succeed? Only one way to find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm kind of disappointed the Wizards are gonna go for Silent Hill 2 in October instead of the far more horrific Bubsy 2 :v: