Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just beat Mad Max on PC, which is awesome, but I just realized the worst part about a game this big: getting 100% sucks. The new Zelda looks absolutely massive and I'm wondering how they're going to do collecting because on the one hand, if you don't have enough stuff to collect you have world that's big for no reason but if you put too much stuff to fill in that world then things can easily become tedious. Zelda's always been really good about having a lot to do but not too much where you have to sink in 80 hours to do it, I always like that I can pick up a Zelda title and see the whole thing in a day or even single sitting.

I imagine this is at least partly why there are breakable weapons. So you'll always need to get new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

a.lo posted:

my boss showed me his tattoos today and they were all like zelda and fma and all this stuff i like and like i mustve seemed interested bc he took off his shirt and showed me ones on his back but like… all i said was "fun" in like a weird voice?

Performance reviews are getting a little too personal.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Calaveron posted:

I'm actually replaying SS right now and I'll be damned if Tentalus isn't the stupidest looking boss ever

F is for fire that burns down the whole town
U is for uranium, bombs
N is for no survivors

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the dungeon itself owns but then it just has to go with a boss that keeps making dreamworks faces at you

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Suspicious Dish posted:

the dungeon itself owns but then it just has to go with a boss that keeps making dreamworks faces at you

The dungeon also sucks because it's so small and it's the same five rooms and even with the time travelling mechanic it's repetitive as hell.

And gently caress tentalus that boring Mike Wazowski looking mother fucker

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Lakebed Temple boss in Twilight Princess is hands down the easiest Zelda boss ever. And now they want me to collect ghosts!? loving bugs, fish, and scrolls wasn't enough – loving ghosts now?? gently caress that, gently caress 100%.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alec Eiffel posted:

The Lakebed Temple boss in Twilight Princess is hands down the easiest Zelda boss ever. And now they want me to collect ghosts!? loving bugs, fish, and scrolls wasn't enough – loving ghosts now?? gently caress that, gently caress 100%.

The reward for it isn't worth it but its pretty funny to see what happens to Jovani after getting them all.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Calaveron posted:

The dungeon also sucks because it's so small and it's the same five rooms and even with the time travelling mechanic it's repetitive as hell.

Yeah even the better SS dungeons had weird repetitive backtracking issues. I can't quite put my finger on it but the task flow was just off much of the time. Not that it should be linear instead, just that it was often real awkward. And rooms that didn't feel well proportioned to your character model; parts of Skyview felt so cramped in an annoying way, as if it didn't match your walk gait or your jump distance. However the blue lighting in there was so gorgeous so I forgive the place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The first reward for ghosts is worth it and you'll get those many naturally just over the course of the next few dungeons.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

My favourite part of Skyward Sword's overworld was the hotel for no one, because the entire human race was only two dozen people.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alec Eiffel posted:

Like someone a few posts ago said, the ghosts are worth it for the 20 ghost reward. I have no idea what reward there is for fishing other than fishing in specific places for hearts and a bottle, so I never cared about that. But yeah, gently caress Poe hunting, second worst part of the game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Like someone a few posts ago said, the ghosts are worth it for the 20 ghost reward. I have no idea what reward there is for fishing other than fishing in specific places for hearts and a bottle, so I never cared about that. But yeah, gently caress Poe hunting, second worst part of the game

They're much more manageable to find in the HD version since the map shows how many are in each region.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Has any other game had this climbing stamina mechanic before? I think it's a brilliant idea to let you climb anything in terms of surfaces but limit how far/high you can go.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lobok posted:

Has any other game had this climbing stamina mechanic before? I think it's a brilliant idea to let you climb anything in terms of surfaces but limit how far/high you can go.

Yeah man, have you ever played Skyward Sword?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Lobok posted:

Shadow of the Colossus

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

a.lo posted:

Yeah man, have you ever played Skyward Sword?

Nope. My track record with Zelda games is pretty spotty. I don't think I've seen any footage of SS since it was revealed at an E3.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Lobok posted:

Nope. My track record with Zelda games is pretty spotty. I don't think I've seen any footage of SS since it was revealed at an E3.

well don't worry because skyward sword doesn't have that mechanic anyway

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Stamina gauge mechanic yes, climb most wall surfaces mechanic no.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

working my way through twilight princess HD, and the game is quite a bit better than I remember it. Obviously the quality of life changes help out a lot but the game itself seems kind of underrated.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's good. I can never tell what part of the zelda game popular opinion cycle it's at. you know the one, it goes from
"it's a letdown and the focal point of the fall of the franchise->actually it's pretty good" with basically no room in between

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Zelda has some sort of weird reverse Sonic cycle thing going. People get hyped up before the game comes out, then when it comes out decide it actually sucks, then when the next game comes out they revisit it and decide it's actually pretty great.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember liking Twilight Princess for what it was when it came out.

I particularly liked how Link strived to be a hero for his little village.

I felt legit good when he saved that girl in the cowboy town.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I really like Twilight Princess. I don't think there's a single Legend of Zelda game I felt I didn't enjoy, but out of all of them I wouldn't say Twilight Princess is the worst. I had the most fun with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker out of any Zelda game, including over older 2D and N64 ones just because Twilight Princess, for all its whacky flaws like a weird story, bizarre character design, obviously rushed latter third, and very blatant attempts to make the series seem "dark," Twilight Princess just did a lot of things that feel good. Being able to flail your sword around, how fluidly Epona runs, and it actually felt somewhat more challenging in some moments, although that isn't saying much given the series.

Actually, what would you say is the most difficult Zelda game? Because I can't think of any that felt particularly difficult.

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Actually, what would you say is the most difficult Zelda game? Because I can't think of any that felt particularly difficult.

Did you play either of the NES ones?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Theta Zero posted:

I find the Oracle games pretty challenging. I still haven't finished either of them. I keep getting stuck.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Kfroog posted:

Did you play either of the NES ones?

I played both when I was a kid and I don't remember struggling. But then again I was a kid, so I could've been stuck in a wall for an hour and still think I was winning at the game.

I do hear people say Zelda II is super-tough so I might go back and revisit it again. All I remember is a lot of the puzzles in it, along with the first Zelda, don't tend to make a lot of sense.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Zelda II can be pretty rough, specifically the run up to the final dungeon. It can be mitigated by saving the extra lives spread throughout the overworld for that run specifically at least.

Zelda I isn't too bad but once the blue wizzrobes show up it does get a bit nasty at times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can also glitch to skip the run up to the final dungeon. If you enter an action square at the same time you run into an enemy, instead of the tough predefined action map you get the normal enemy action map. You can do this a couple of times to skip the really bad ones.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Nate RFB posted:

Zelda II can be pretty rough, specifically the run up to the final dungeon. It can be mitigated by saving the extra lives spread throughout the overworld for that run specifically at least.

Zelda I isn't too bad but once the blue wizzrobes show up it does get a bit nasty at times.

Oddly enough, the only part of Zelda II, of which I'm quite fond, that I find really difficult is Death Mountain. I don't ever recall having a lot of problems with the late game, but I do tend to power level to max everything as soon as I can and get every heart and magic container as soon as it is available.

When I was a lad, it was actually the Blue Darknuts (armoured swordy blokes) who gave me fits; I was stuck on level 8 in the first quest for ages because of them. I recently replayed Zelda 1 for the first time in a long time and those weren't too bad anymore, but the Wizzrobes really got to me. I was trying to do a sort of challenge run where I don't get any of the "red" equipment, and eventually I just became frustrated and gave up. I also tried to get the Wand from level 6 very early in the game. I eventually did it, but I died many, many times.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Man, Zelda II was awesome. I'm going to have to replay that soon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's weird, I remember death mountain being super hard, and the other day I was playing with my kid and said "those is a good stopping point. I have only one life left and half my health, so I'll go in here and get some experience till I die, then save and quit. And then I proceeded to beat it all on a single life without really getting hit at all.

I guess after so many years I just have the timing and locations of those club dinosaurs down pat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I actually like Death Mountain quite a bit, even after all these years I don't need to look up the map for how to get through it it's just sort burned into my memory. It's so satisfying too because that's the only thing in your way from getting the downward thrust which is a game changer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

it's good. I can never tell what part of the zelda game popular opinion cycle it's at. you know the one, it goes from
"it's a letdown and the focal point of the fall of the franchise->actually it's pretty good" with basically no room in between

Almost every 2D zelda is great, except Spirit Tracks. I can't remember why. The 3D Zelda's range from great overall-mostly good-merely okay(lovely bosses, overworlds, etc) and none of them are truly "bad" they just lack the nostalgia or impact that Ocarina/WW had.

Despite internet opinions, Twilight Princess is a good game with some boring parts. The infamous 8/10 gamespot review was pretty on the money but at the time treated like blasphemy.

Skyward Sword had some beautiful set pieces but the whole flying bird was more of a chore then fun way to travel around. The insane sparseness of the overworld was a problem as well. It was still a fun experience but not one I wanted to replay again to 100% the game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I loved spirit tracks and really enjoyed the train and had no problem with the flow, but I will admit so many people had problems with that it would be better if they went with their original concept of laying down your own tracks and did something completely different with the flute.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Spirit tracks was an OK experiment, but the overworld was more of an annoying minigame than an overworld. It was a drag on the rest of the game, which was pretty fun.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I find TP to be a mostly dull game with some amazing highs and several bad lows. It's still completely competent and better than a lot of things out there, but easily rests at the bottom of the 3D Zeldas.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

JustJeff88 posted:

Oddly enough, the only part of Zelda II, of which I'm quite fond, that I find really difficult is Death Mountain. I don't ever recall having a lot of problems with the late game, but I do tend to power level to max everything as soon as I can and get every heart and magic container as soon as it is available.

When I was a lad, it was actually the Blue Darknuts (armoured swordy blokes) who gave me fits; I was stuck on level 8 in the first quest for ages because of them. I recently replayed Zelda 1 for the first time in a long time and those weren't too bad anymore, but the Wizzrobes really got to me. I was trying to do a sort of challenge run where I don't get any of the "red" equipment, and eventually I just became frustrated and gave up. I also tried to get the Wand from level 6 very early in the game. I eventually did it, but I died many, many times.

I just finished Zelda 1 for the first time in probably at least 10 years and I was cursing both the Darknuts and Wizzrobes. I toyed with the idea of trying the second quest, which I've never actually done, but I took a look at a speedrun and saw all the bullshit in the dungeons like walking through walls and was just like, nope, I have better things to do with my time. Like get into A Link Between Worlds because my wife finished and freed up the 3DS.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
The more I've played of TP the more I love the dungeons and hate everything else

I even find the graphics charming even though the characters are hideous

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
My personal speculation is that Wind Waker characters are chibi + african sculpture, while TP borrows from Tim Burton. At least for supporting characters. Ugly on purpose, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
With Wind Waker, every item has multiple clever uses and it really contributes to the game as a whole. Twilight Princess's items aren't used after the dungeon they're contained in except for that one recall puzzle.

Wind Waker's dungeons range from unmemorable to OK. The quality of Twilight Princess's dungeons are on par with OoT / MM.