Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The Human Crouton posted:

But you had $1300 to throw into a machine that would cost $700 if it were a PC.

This is ridiculous. A Mac Mini costs about $100 less than it would to buy the components for a micro-ATX based minitower with similar specs and a Windows 10 Pro license. Want to try that again?

(And if you're referring to an iMac, throw in the cost of a high-quality monitor, too; those things don't come cheap.)

The White Dragon posted:

Ok I can understand the price point, but you're overshooting it by $100 and even then it's not like at least one of your friends won't have the discs for an extremely common os that they'll just let you use. Unless your friends are all dicks idk?

A Windows 10 Pro OEM license is $200, so no, I'm not. (Why Windows 10 Pro? Because I'm pretty sure you don't want your computer silently rebooting without your input at inopportune times.)

The White Dragon posted:

The technical knowledge to use boot camp isn't an issue and we both know it. It's literally just "search Boot Camp, press Next a few times, wait thirty minutes" and has been this way since like 2008.

I'm sure this is going to shock you, but some people turn into drooling morons when asked to do anything they assume is technical. Installing Windows via Boot Camp (and then installing the drivers) qualifies.

Then there's the part where dual-booting is obnoxious as hell, as TooMuchAbstraction notes.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm looking at Windows 7, which is still within the recommended specs, and that's a hundo. Low as 120 for pro, these days. Strangely, this seems to solve the problem of random restarts, and having to edit your registry to prevent Microsoft from gathering all your usage data :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dual booting is a useful feature which is why Apple developed it and keeps maintaining it, and installing Windows can end up being useful for reasons other than just playing Civ 6 on launch date (for example: playing Civ 7 on launch date :smug:), but still I think that people airing their grievances about the lack of a Mac release on launch date is a legit complain (though it makes sense that Firaxis would first target the largest market)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did Beyond Earth ever get good? I recall some complaints that it was basically mobile trash ported to PC or something.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did Beyond Earth ever get good? I recall some complaints that it was basically mobile trash ported to PC or something.

I thought that was Starships?

BE vanilla was basically a fancy Civ V mod, BERT was a better Civ V mod with, what seems to me, like a prototyping of several of the diplomatic features and other new features that'll be in Civ VI.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not good, but those complaints are nonsense. It's not good because it's thematically boring and the designers had no idea how to balance a game.

If you're actually curious though, go and play the demo and see if you get bored of the game before the demo is over, like I did.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stabbatical posted:

I thought that was Starships?

BE vanilla was basically a fancy Civ V mod, BERT was a better Civ V mod with, what seems to me, like a prototyping of several of the diplomatic features and other new features that'll be in Civ VI.

Oh, yeah you're right. I was thinking of Starships.

BE with RT is apparently on sale for $20. I'll just wait for Civ 6.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Gort posted:

It's not good, but those complaints are nonsense. It's not good because it's thematically boring and the designers had no idea how to balance a game.

If you're actually curious though, go and play the demo and see if you get bored of the game before the demo is over, like I did.

I like BE/RT a fair bit and I totally agree. But I think it's worst issue is just the lack of music variety. I swear it's got the same songs for every civ and I can't remember any of them. It's a huge step down from Civ IV and V.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
BE has some interesting variations on the Civ formula in terms of gameplay, and RT has some novel diplomacy ideas, like the precursor to VI's agendas. Its glaring fault is in its presentation, which just falls flat more or less across the board.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stabbatical posted:

I like BE/RT a fair bit and I totally agree. But I think it's worst issue is just the lack of music variety. I swear it's got the same songs for every civ and I can't remember any of them. It's a huge step down from Civ IV and V.

Near as I can tell, the music is based on your planetary biome, not faction.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

webmeister posted:

Which surface do you have? I've got the SP4 i5 with the ram upgrade and I'm not sure if I can run it :-/

I have the same. Unless there's something that wants a genuine quad core, it passes the minimum specs.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Near as I can tell, the music is based on your planetary biome, not faction.

I checked the game files and you're right. I never noticed, it just thought it had a random playlist.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Rexides posted:

Dual booting is a useful feature which is why Apple developed it and keeps maintaining it,

i would very loosely describe bootcamp as "maintained" given that it is actively becoming less usable

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stabbatical posted:

I checked the game files and you're right. I never noticed, it just thought it had a random playlist.

I find it's more noticeable with some biomes than others. Frigid and primordial biomes have particularly noticeable tracks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Concerned Citizen posted:

i would very loosely describe bootcamp as "maintained" given that it is actively becoming less usable

Speaking as a Mac user, this is true for everything in every OSX release post, oh, 10.6 or so. They got the UI pretty well nailed down, then ran out of ideas for ways to improve it so they've just been aimlessly tweaking things for years. Too bad Apple doesn't give a poo poo about maintaining their older OSes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Play the demo and find out for yourself? Probably not though, the only people that like it are Cythereal and I.

Edit: Huh, thought I refreshed this page before posting.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 24, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They are done doing dlc for Beyond Earth, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jastiger posted:

They are done doing dlc for Beyond Earth, right?

Unknown. Right now all of Firaxis' press is about Civ6. No word on whether there will be more Beyond Earth DLC or not.

I'm fine if there's not. I play Civilization to pick low difficulty levels and build myself a neat-looking empire that I develop in the way I want, not what's advantageous in gameplay. Beyond Earth is great for that, and sits comfortably atop my steam game list for number of hours played, ahead of Civ5 and Heroes of Might & Magic 5.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldnt mind more dlc but it is what it is. The best thing about be and vox populi, in my opinion is the ability to have mega yields. I always found it a bit silly that the fields from 1200 made 2 food snd in 2020 it made like 5. In vox and be you could have Mega yields. Made you feel powerful, yet balanced.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I find it's more noticeable with some biomes than others. Frigid and primordial biomes have particularly noticeable tracks.

Huh. Never knew this. There is one track in particular ("Acquisition" ?) that seems to have a longer version in-game than on the soundtrack and its back half is quite epic. Some games would play it and others wouldn't but I didn't know what controlled it.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Look at the guns on Gilgamesh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0gQJRy1Jw

Stolen from Civfanatics:
UA - Epic Quest: When you capture a barbarian outpost, you get a tribal village reward.
UU - War Cart: No penalties to fighting Spearmen or other anti-cavalry units. Extra movement if starting on flat terrain. 30 strength.
UI - Ziggurat: Grants science and, if adjacent to a river, culture. Cannot be built on a hill.
LUA - Adventures with Enkidu: During a Joint War, Sumeria shares pillage rewards and combat experience with closest allied unit within 5 tiles.

Ogdred Weary fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 26, 2016

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Final Fantasy has ruined me because all I want to do is have adventures with Enkidu.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jastiger posted:

I wouldnt mind more dlc but it is what it is. The best thing about be and vox populi, in my opinion is the ability to have mega yields. I always found it a bit silly that the fields from 1200 made 2 food snd in 2020 it made like 5. In vox and be you could have Mega yields. Made you feel powerful, yet balanced.

Well civ5 is really not made for vox pupuli's megayields and it kinda shows.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ogdred Weary posted:

LUA - Adventures with Enkidu: During a Joint War, Sumeria shares pillage rewards and combat experience with closest allied unit within 5 tiles.

That seems way too involved to be a bonus you can base your strategy around.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can't really say I get the LUA but the UA, UU and UI seem good.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rexides posted:

That seems way too involved to be a bonus you can base your strategy around.

If you're in a war with a buddy and they actually have units fighting in the fray, you get free exp and loot. If they made the AI less terrible at joint wars, it seems straightforward enough.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I read it as the other civ (besides Sumeria) gets the bonuses.

I read this as an option for those of us who try to convince their friends and girlfriends to play Civ.

hexal
Sep 7, 2011
The other civ does get the bonus. The video at 1min shows a greek egyptian archer getting xp for an attack made by a sumerian war cart.

vvvvvvvv
Yep.
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/54kpav/civilization_vi_first_look_sumeria/d82nt17

hexal fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 26, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think it would have to be you and the other civ getting a bonus otherwise it doesn't make sense as an ability.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Pete Murray has elaborated on the Leader ability on reddit:

"He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties.
When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and its allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles.
Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That's an interesting ability that was explained really poorly in the video

E: truth be told that unique causus belli is worth the price of admission alone

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 26, 2016

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

That's an interesting ability that was explained really poorly in the video

Yeah, and it's not the first time a leader ability has been misrepresented in them, for example, Hojo's LA involves building encampment, holy site, and theater square districts in half the time, in addition to the coastal bonuses. For those past videos though I had just assumed they were bonuses added later in the development process for balance reasons.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, and it's not the first time a leader ability has been misrepresented in them, for example, Hojo's LA involves building encampment, holy site, and theater square districts in half the time, in addition to the coastal bonuses. For those past videos though I had just assumed they were bonuses added later in the development process for balance reasons.

This is apparently what it was, the VO was locked down a while ago and things were being tweaked around later, the videos just have what they believe to be the most important unique aspects

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

This is apparently what it was, the VO was locked down a while ago and things were being tweaked around later, the videos just have what they believe to be the most important unique aspects

At least there's a reason for the confusing info, then. We'll be able to see all the info in tooltips when the game is released anyway so NBD.

I wonder what counts as Gilgamesh's "allies". Just joint war buddies, or active friendship declarations, or some other mechanic?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

At least there's a reason for the confusing info, then. We'll be able to see all the info in tooltips when the game is released anyway so NBD.

I wonder what counts as Gilgamesh's "allies". Just joint war buddies, or active friendship declarations, or some other mechanic?

I believe it's specifically joint war buddies with his unique causus belli

E: Still a little confused about this all, I think his unique causus belli is actually to declare on people fighting his allies so it's not that

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 26, 2016

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I believe it's specifically joint war buddies with his unique causus belli

E: Still a little confused about this all, I think his unique causus belli is actually to declare on people fighting his allies so it's not that

Yeah I meant specifically in reference to the "declare war on his allies" part, I figure the shared exp/plunder is straight-forward enough now that it's explained that it works both ways.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, that explanation certainly makes Gilgamesh sound more interesting, since as long as you only join other wars and don't take cities you can pretty much run around whooping it up and not accumulating war monger penalties.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I meant specifically in reference to the "declare war on his allies" part, I figure the shared exp/plunder is straight-forward enough now that it's explained that it works both ways.

Probably friendship decs or the equivalent, I've always found "declaration of friendship" a weird way of representing allies in what is ostensibly a political simulation game.

LightWarden posted:

Yeah, that explanation certainly makes Gilgamesh sound more interesting, since as long as you only join other wars and don't take cities you can pretty much run around whooping it up and not accumulating war monger penalties.

Warmonger penalties from capturing cities might be separate though.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, that's what I mean, if you join a war your buddy is in you can just go around smashing units and pillaging things, and won't be seen as a war monger unless you actually take some cities. People would just shrug it off as Gilgamesh being Gilgamesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There might also be further restrictions by making it so the ally has to be declared on, not the other way around. To stop us from cheesing it via bribery, you know.