Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Anyone mentioning data caps as a way to hang on to SMS is just wrong, messaging uses so little data as to be completely negligible. The only time I could see SMS being preferable in any way to a real messaging service is in the case of spotty data coverage (but even then maybe you should consider getting yourself a carrier that works for your use case).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who use SMS every day but it's horrible trash and I'm well aware that lots of people love trash. Personally I'm glad to be mostly rid of it for all of the reasons FunOne just outlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LastInLine posted:

Anyone mentioning data caps as a way to hang on to SMS is just wrong, messaging uses so little data as to be completely negligible. The only time I could see SMS being preferable in any way to a real messaging service is in the case of spotty data coverage (but even then maybe you should consider getting yourself a carrier that works for your use case).

I'm sure there are plenty of people who use SMS every day but it's horrible trash and I'm well aware that lots of people love trash. Personally I'm glad to be mostly rid of it for all of the reasons FunOne just outlined.

Why is it trash? It works across platforms, regardless of what phone or network you are on.

I bet you love Apple's lightning cables over USB type C too.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why is it trash? It works across platforms, regardless of what phone or network you are on.

I bet you love Apple's lightning cables over USB type C too.

It is trash. There isn't any way for the messages to stay in order. Much bigger issue with MMS, but the issue is still there. If you've been on an airplane while a group discussion is going on, it's a jumbled mess when you turn on and pull messages down. Images don't always go etc. They aren't multi device accessable (tablet, desktop). They're hard to use across international boarders. Texting other countries is a pain.

I know they're not going away, but they suck, and I avoid them as much as possiable.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Phosphine posted:

Where are you at? I'm in Sweden and get this, along with everyone I've asked. Thinking it might vary between regions.

The UK. I'm assuming it's because Google's network for SMS stuff is only operational in the US.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

SMS is only going to be dead when there's another new messaging format that's universally available on every phone that can still connect to the cell network. Until then, most people in most countries are going to keep using SMS, because everything has SMS, even your weird cousin who uses a phone from 1997 has SMS.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Open standards are good, walled gardens like what's app not so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We shouldn't give a poo poo about the message protocol.

We are to the point where we can have cloud sync, device sync, and automatic message feature scaling based on client. All without needing the user to do a goddamn loving thing.

That's why we should be bringing the pitchforks, we don't have it yet.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
WebOS (palm pre) had it right in my opinion. It integrated all of the available IM platforms along with SMS and MMS into its messaging application and just treated them all the same. It prioritized the platform where the message recipient was marked as available at the time. A modern implementation of something like that would be awesome and then it wouldn't matter what anyone was using, it would all just appear there.

WebOS had a ton of great ideas (accordion calendar, contact linking, integrated messaging, card based multitasking, snooze on calendar alerts) and I really hate HP for squandering what they had when they bought palm and ruined it. That being said, they missed the mark in a few areas too, namely the app development side which only gave independent developers the ability to make apps in html/javascript and not real application binaries that would have been able to do a lot more. Eventually they allowed binary plug-in support so your app would be a plug-in in an html/javascript container but it was complicated.

The blackberry priv is the closest thing to a palm pre today and it's almost there but not quite as good as what was the best series of smartphones produced to date.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 24, 2016

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

This will all be fixed when joyn is supported by all operators. :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

But we won't care about RCS when the stars have gone out :v:

GutBomb posted:

WebOS (palm pre) had it right in my opinion. It integrated all of the available IM platforms along with SMS and MMS into its messaging application and just treated them all the same. It prioritized the platform where the message recipient was marked as available at the time. A modern implementation of something like that would be awesome and then it wouldn't matter what anyone was using, it would all just appear there.

WebOS had a ton of great ideas (accordion calendar, contact linking, integrated messaging, card based multitasking, snooze on calendar alerts) and I really hate HP for squandering what they had when they bought palm and ruined it. That being said, they missed the mark in a few areas too, namely the app development side which only gave independent developers the ability to make apps in html/javascript and not real application binaries that would have been able to do a lot more. Eventually they allowed binary plug-in support so your app would be a plug-in in an html/javascript container but it was complicated.

The blackberry priv is the closest thing to a palm pre today and it's almost there but not quite as good as what was the best series of smartphones produced to date.

The first two paragraphs are pretty much my thoughts on it too. Blackberry needs to be done, though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

GutBomb posted:

WebOS (palm pre) had it right in my opinion.
The Palm Prē came out 7 years ago and this is still an evergreen sentence.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scudworth posted:

I average about 1000 texts a month, data costs money and SMS is unlimited and free. It's base standard for phones and not going anywhere.
Suck that 140KB of data is a huge burden to you.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nmfree posted:

The Palm Prē came out 7 years ago and this is still an evergreen sentence.

Fortunately the guy that made it like it was is now at Google designing Android.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'm going to break into all your houses and write "preferences are not moral imperatives" on your face in sharpie while you sleep.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
No u ain't gonna

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What if I agree to copy your post to 10 other threads?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's okay, "THEY ARE SO" is already written in twenty mile high letters across the entire internet

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get some recommendations for weight tracking apps? The primary feature I'm looking for is a trend line that shows whether you're losing or gaining weight overall, like what the iOS app Weight Diary does.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm going to break into all your houses and write "preferences are not moral imperatives" on your face in sharpie while you sleep.
why don't you just message it to me on my non-sms app of choice

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

terre packet posted:

Can I get some recommendations for weight tracking apps? The primary feature I'm looking for is a trend line that shows whether you're losing or gaining weight overall, like what the iOS app Weight Diary does.

Google Fit does this.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

terre packet posted:

I've been fine with Google Fit for this, but there is also Libra, which a lot of people like. Haven't looked at it in a while, though, so couldn't tell you how it compares.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Fit is a little basic/simple/minimal, but I use it for my workouts and it's great. It syncs with my Pebble too, so tracks my hikes and bike rides.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

LastInLine posted:

What bugs are you all seeing? Hangouts works great for me.

It doesn't give a flying gently caress about what your phone's rules are for Do not Disturb if someone sends you a Hangouts message.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

It doesn't give a flying gently caress about what your phone's rules are for Do not Disturb if someone sends you a Hangouts message.

Hangouts definitely follows the rules for Do Not Disturb on my phone.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Also same.

However, the newest Hangouts update (v13) seems to have replaced group threads that have a custom title with an empty contact icon, instead of just showing small versions of everyone's contact photo, so that's super exciting.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the gently caress then? Even when they send a hangouts message to you? I double checked that so and so dude isn't a starred contact but this one dude's hangouts messages still come through even in do not disturb hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

What the gently caress then? Even when they send a hangouts message to you? I double checked that so and so dude isn't a starred contact but this one dude's hangouts messages still come through even in do not disturb hours.

Yup, it'll come in silently if Do Not Disturb is enabled, and I'll see the message after my meeting or sleep or whatever. This is an actual Hangouts message, not SMS within Hangouts or anytime.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You're not using something like lightflow to fire off the notification are you? I mean beyond just flashing the light

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

No God Damnit I figured it out, the dude was somehow a starred contact even though he shouldn't have been.

Thanks for the help though and reading my bitching.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's new with the Android Samsung 7 update? How do i get rid of the annoying VoLTE sign at the top of the screen? Cheers

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's new with the Android Samsung 7 update? How do i get rid of the annoying VoLTE sign at the top of the screen? Cheers

:what:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ICHIBAHN posted:

I would be glad you even have VoLTE as an option.

As for removing anything from the top of the screen - The Good Lock app might help with this! Of course it will change everything else but that's just a fun side effect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Turning off VoLTE would probably do that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait for the screen to explode and the icon will be gone.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Problem with Talon, twitter client, maybe you could help? When I try to share any links to my Pocket account, it automatically tries to share the link via Facebook. It doesn't give me the option to choose which app to share with. This is due to the new update I figure. Anyone know a fix? Cheers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Any recs for a lock screen replacement? I'm currently using the stock Moto G 3 one, but I'd like one that can display more information (like the weather, for example).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having an issue with Google Photos on a new Note 7. I can log into my account and see all my photos just fine from all time, full res, metadata, etc, but say on the device I want to share that photo on Hangouts or Instagram or something. If I try to share to an app directly from the photo in Google Photos, it tries to download the picture prior to sharing but craps out after a few seconds and says there was an error. I can tap the 3-dot menu, and there is an option to "restore", I tap that and it appears to download the photo (filename displays in the notification) to the device. Then, it looks like it's trying to appear at the most recent entry in the main Google Photos photo listing, but most of the "restored" images are grey and not viewable. I have confimed via the web interface that the pictures in question all there, in proper resolution and metadata, and look just fine from there, this is just an app issue.

I'm not sure what is going and have never seen this before on any device :(

e: oh interesting, this seems to be the issue I'm having: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/photos/wMjlfYkLSRU/HNE3Gnt0BQAJ
e2: Yup, the google drive download thing works fine, this seems to be a Photos app issue, god dammit

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 29, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Shot in the dark, but have you confirmed that the Photos app has all the necessary permissions, specifically the storage permission in this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Shot in the dark, but have you confirmed that the Photos app has all the necessary permissions, specifically the storage permission in this case?

Yup. Hasn't prompted for any other permissions, it does have storage access.