Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gonz posted:

Future Imperfect was on today, and there's just no excuse for Riker's alien captor turning out to be a 20 dollar Halloween costume.

Especially in season 4. I mean what the hell, producers.

After Andreas Katsulas, everything else in the episode would seem cheesy by comparison, anyway. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Baronjutter posted:

It's also stupid to ever not like something because of the fans, but man firefly comes close.

I cannot hate on Firefly fans while Sherlock fans exist.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Zurui posted:

I cannot hate on Firefly fans while Sherlock fans exist.

I kind of like Sherlock, but I honestly have trouble considering myself a fan of something that has been running for so many years already and hasn't yet reached the episode count of Firefly. It's so infrequent that I barely think about it until there are new episodes. Doctor Who is almost getting that way with all the production troubles it's been having.

Firefly also just doesn't work for me. A friend tried to get me into it when the movie came out and it was just so easy to ignore that I never felt compelled to pay attention. Tried the series later on my own and still stalled after like 3 episodes.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 24, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm exactly that way with Doctor Who now. I can't pinpoint when it happened, but at some point I just stopped caring about the show any time it's not actively in front of me. I still enjoy watching it but I've said "oh, the new season is over? I should probably catch up" for at least two seasons running.

To bring it back to Trek, I watched "Night." It was a surprisingly good episode. I bought Janeway's desire to abdicate and stay behind after four years of this poo poo. I don't buy how ridiculously tough Voyager is against all of these "superior" enemies. The reset button is getting to me as well; the Hirogen literally tore Voyager apart deck by deck and...it's just fixed I guess? Where did they get the duranium to do that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sash! posted:

If someone was protesting somewhere that they bring back Space Above and Beyond, I'd stand across the street with a sign that said ABANDON ALL HOPE in crude writing.

Fuckin' nice

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Does anyone know what happened to the DS9 remasters (other than "people didn't buy TNG because we gave people the choice of streaming them for free or spending $Texas for the Blu-rays")? They used to say they relied on CGI too much and the original files were missing but then some CG animator guy was like "Oh, I've got all the animation files sitting around here somewhere. Let me render something for you" and this got posted online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJs0-hhOZFQ

...then the goon who worked on the TNG remaster said animation guy fell through and there hasn't been any official word on the project since.

What I'm wondering is was the animator full of poo poo? Was he trying to sell a bunch of art assets he didn't technically own? Did CBS really take that much of a bath on TNG that they can't do an :effort: DS9 remaster without all the cool special features (which would give them an excuse to double-dip down the road)? Does CBS really just not care about Star Trek DS9?

Edit: Seems also that I was mixing together this Trek Core article (three guesses who originally posted it here) and the youtube video I already posted which I think got linked here around the same time.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 24, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It isn't just redoing the battles. Think of every instance of Odo shapeshifting and how much money replacing all those scenes would cost. CBS hosed up on TNG's pricing and streaming availability and that's why we'll never get a DS9 Remaster. Not to mention how niche that release would be. TNG is still syndicated on at least two or three channels today. The last time I saw a DS9 rerun was three years ago on a local Houston channel, and before that it was on UPN after midnight when Enterprise was still airing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's sad, but this is one of the examples where I totally understand the economic infeasibility. Wonder if they'd ever consider a sort of "DS9's Greatest Hits" remaster, though?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I just edited my post to correct it a bit, but poo poo like phaser hits or the one time per season they could afford to render Odo changing shape is probably not all that expensive to re-do in 2016. The biggest thing everyone was always audibly sweating about was that TNG and TOS would have a maximum of like 4 ship on screen at any given time and TNG still had most of the camera negatives for the model shots, whereas DS9 would have 600+ CGI ships flying around that nobody was thought to still have the assets for.

Rereading the article though makes it sound like only one of the two studios that worked on the show has the assets left and you'd still have all the interior stuff to do and I still have no idea how they managed to composite Way Of The Warrior with models on a TV budget (its not like they were playing with Return Of The Jedi money). I'd still like to know if Robert Bonchune was exaggerating in that interview though, or if they just don't think the money is there. Maybe by the 60th anniversary things will have progressed to the point they can just shove an SD episode and a bunch of film negatives into a computer and be 90% of the way there?

I did find DS9 reruns are on Heroes & Icons late at night. You know, if you get that channel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I don't know the status of the actual CGI data, whether it was irretrievably lost or just too disorganized to collect it all, or the corporate suits decided it'd be quicker and cheaper to just reuse the master tapes. If memory serves, JMS had some suspicions about it, but I could be conflating that with any number of other suspicions he has.

The original masters were lost, if I recall correctly. They had to do a transfer for the effects off of the NTSC master. It's interlaced as gently caress.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

remusclaw posted:

Firefly also just doesn't work for me. A friend tried to get me into it when the movie came out and it was just so easy to ignore that I never felt compelled to pay attention. Tried the series later on my own and still stalled after like 3 episodes.

Had a friend who insisted I watch the show. So I watched it, in the correct order, including the movie.

I was not at all impressed. It seems like they were trying too hard to have a diverse cast of characters.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
firefly main characters feel like RPG characters, which is a good thing. Book is played by the GM.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd imagined a Star Trek new show that would have had a ship crewed by Data's as well, but it was meant to be a demonstration that the Federation had basically been reducing human crews and replacing them with machines. This is described as a means of reducing loss of life, but it would come coincidentally along with a new surge of militaristic ideals being floated in certain circles of Federation society.

Janeway would be a main antagonist, pursuing a stolen ship crewed by the show's main cast, who would basically be driving straight into the last bit of uncharted space left to have a grand adventure, unaware that their actions would have major reprecussions on the Federation and all its allies. I thought the idea of a crew of Datas was really creepy, especially if they start acting awfully Borg-like as they get further and further from the bright lights of Federation space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some shots of the concept art, although there were a fair few changes between this and what made it to the screen, I think dramatically for the better. (The final product's neck angles backwards at both its front and back, and the pylons don't reach all the way to the rear of the hull, and I think from the front they're just plain straight, and the shuttlebay looks less like an anus)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 24, 2016

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand why anyone likes girthy pylons

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
those pylons are terrible

pylons do not need to be beefy, warp nacelles do not exert force !

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
why are those nacelles looking like they have a rocket engine on them gah

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/WorfYelp/status/755815342467719168?lang=en

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'd imagined a Star Trek new show that would have had a ship crewed by Data's as well, but it was meant to be a demonstration that the Federation had basically been reducing human crews and replacing them with machines. This is described as a means of reducing loss of life, but it would come coincidentally along with a new surge of militaristic ideals being floated in certain circles of Federation society.

Once Voyager makes it back and they reverse-engineer the mobile holoemitter there is literally no reason to have more than a dozen actual human beings on board a starship.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

Had a friend who insisted I watch the show. So I watched it, in the correct order, including the movie.

I was not at all impressed. It seems like they were trying too hard to have a diverse cast of characters.

This in a Star Trek thread.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I thought the idea of a crew of Datas was really creepy, especially if they start acting awfully Borg-like as they get further and further from the bright lights of Federation space.

Dollars to doughnuts the hyper advanced ship from the future Federation in that comic is Data.

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You... are the son of a traitor!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sad, isn't it?

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
It's Only A Paper Moon is the best DS9 episode

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

How many different space-wheelchairs have there been? Two at the very least.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, uh.... I assume there has been discussion about this, but I can't be the only one like, legitimately thrilled about everything I have read concerning Star Trek: Discovery.... Right?

I mean, right off the bat I am positively thrilled with Bryan Fuller as showrunner, which is such a radical and amazing departure from Rick "I'm a homophobic prick" Berman. Both Dead Like Me and Hannibal (Ohh, especially Hannibal) had wonderful style and panache, and more to the point it truly excelled at being what it was supposed to be - that's a great thing you can say about Hannibal.

I just feel like Bryan Fuller is going to excel at executing a Star Trek series, as well. And I have very high expectations, as a result; I am expecting what is essentially a serious, earnest, (if slightly pretentious and silly) attempt at what Gene Roddenberry was attempting to do with "The Cage". Given that their lead is a female named "Number One", they are clearly going out of their way somewhat to establish some connection with what the original conception of Star Trek was going to be.

And I have to say, it's really really wonderful to read the following:

quote:

The Hall H panel on Star Trek’s 50th Anniversary and the press conference very much focused on the franchise’s role in pushing boundaries and promoting a better future, which is something that is clearly on Discovery showrunner Fuller’s mind. He said, “The state of this country right now terrifies me and saddens me and I feel like we need something like Star Trek to remind us that, collectively as a human race we’re going to get our poo poo together, and we’re going to build a better future, and we have to start working much harder on that today.”

Kadin confirmed to Trekmovie.com that Discovery would feature female, minority, and LGBTQ characters as she felt modern television did not accurately represent those groups in television shows featuring predominantly-caucasian casts. On the subject of LGBTQ characters specifically, Kadin commented that “is something that’s very important to Bryan [Fuller], and very important to all of us to portray.”

After FIVE long series and hundreds upon hundreds of episodes of ignoring the existence of homosexuality and never even SAYING the word "gay" - the closest anyone ever came was McCoy describing Tribbles erroneously as "bisexual" - largely as a result of Berman putting a moratorium on the subject and slashing out any references to it in any way in every last script.... *drum rollllll* we finally get real gay characters on real, canon Star Trek! Woo-Hoo! I can't be the only one who isn't at least a little bit excited about this... am I?\

Anyway, I'm sure they will begin filming soon (if not already?) and we will get a sense. I feel sincerely confident with Bryan Fuller heading things. And don't judge Alex Kurtzman by the work he did on the movies, per se - he was a key part of the Fringe team, and that show was absolutely one of the better genre/sci-fi shows to air on network TV in the post-Trek era - even if it was more in the vein of The X-Files.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no way they'd start filming without the cast leaking out.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm cautiously optimistic. Bryan Fuller has made some excellent tv, including Dead Like Me which is one of my favorite shows.
On the other hand he was involved with 81 episodes of Voyager.
On the other, other hand by most accounts he wasn't given a lot of input on those episodes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm slightly optimistic because it seems to be a low-medium budget production, which means it might actually have a little freedom for actually good writing and creative ideas. The bigger the budget the more focus groups and marketing executives tend to call the shots, specially for something like trek which is probably regarded as dead/risky to bring back.

Also decent CG is soooo much cheap than it was back in Enterprise days, let alone DS9 days. I'm hoping for a cast with no real huge names, just good actors. A little like Stranger Things. Don't waste your budget on getting some well established household name star, get some less known up and comers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

I'm hoping for a cast with no real huge names, just good actors. A little like Stranger Things. Don't waste your budget on getting some well established household name star, get some less known up and comers.

And one notable has-been.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'd like if we had any idea what the show was about thematically. So far we haven't really heard anything about the writing apart from it's a starship exploration show. We've already had four of those and half of them sucked rear end. I'm not sure they've come up with any hot new ideas for how to make the concept less tired in the intervening decade. I assume it will be more serialized than previous Trek shows have been, but Enterprise tried that too late on and it still mostly sucked rear end. I'm unconvinced that the franchise has much of anywhere left to go and all the talk about using the original series as a touchstone makes me worry that there isn't really going to be anything to this show, apart from its desire to remind you of when you used to watch a different, better show.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm assuming you mean that their roles have a diverse set of skills like you would find in a heist movie or an rpg, not that they're ethnically diverse. If I remember correctly there were three white guys, one black guy, three white women, and one black woman.

Either way, I wouldn't level diversity as a compaint against the show.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Must importantly, the 'verse is supposedly half Chinese but there are no Chinese people.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I unironically want a super-crazy kitschy Star Trek with retro-60s futurism on a social justice warpath.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

skasion posted:

I'd like if we had any idea what the show was about thematically. So far we haven't really heard anything about the writing apart from it's a starship exploration show. We've already had four of those and half of them sucked rear end. I'm not sure they've come up with any hot new ideas for how to make the concept less tired in the intervening decade. I assume it will be more serialized than previous Trek shows have been, but Enterprise tried that too late on and it still mostly sucked rear end. I'm unconvinced that the franchise has much of anywhere left to go and all the talk about using the original series as a touchstone makes me worry that there isn't really going to be anything to this show, apart from its desire to remind you of when you used to watch a different, better show.

Oh, c'mon - it isn't rocket science. It's not like there is some magical formula or a special challenge that a STAR TREK™ show needs to have or accomplish to be successful. It's actually far easier to be successful with a franchise like Star Trek, because you aren't obligated to do some huge amount of world-building and massive exposition dumps and clunky writing and scenes spent trying to establish the setting of genre shows like these. Star Trek is Star Trek, and on a very basic level these showrunners know what that means, and they know how to use that, take advantage of that, and ideally turn it on its head at times.

What encourages me is that Fuller is a legitimately smart guy. I've heard him speak and read interviews, and he is a no-bullshit legit clever guy who knows precisely what he does and wants to do in terms of his television shows, and generally does it. Season 2 of Hannibal, in my opinion, stands as the best season of television he's ever done.

Hannibal also proved his ability to simultaneously make a show both serialized and "monster of the week" in terms of its construction, without any particular episode truly or fully feeling like it's entirely one or the other, but each being a sort of hybrid to one degree another which may or may not focus on the smaller arc within the context of the greater arc, or what may seen like a monster of the week initially may turn out to be an episode dealing with the main arc of the season. He's very good at messing with those expectations

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Wikkheiser posted:

I unironically want a super-crazy kitschy Star Trek with retro-60s futurism on a social justice warpath.

See, I would rather they move on from it's continuity if possible. Set it 50 years after the end of the TNG era, don't get bogged down in already making what has been made.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm really curious to see how they handle production design. Even if the show was ultimately poo poo, I'd love it to pieces if everyone had beehives and tapered cuts and the sets were made of painted styrofoam in insane colors.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

There's no way they'd start filming without the cast leaking out.

CBS already said like a week ago that Discovery won't start shooting until November.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm assuming you mean that their roles have a diverse set of skills like you would find in a heist movie or an rpg, not that they're ethnically diverse.

Pretty much that. I'm surprised they didn't advertise the cast as a "ragtag group of misfits".

I just didn't feel there was any real chemistry among the cast. Maybe if it has lasted longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have tons of faith in Bryan Fuller.

I have...quite a bit less faith in everything else surrounding the production.