Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FilthyImp posted:

I'm not sure, but was the museum stuff that the kids had solved, or stuff that the previous Group Of Mystery Solvers experienced and debunked?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6ubNqkhfVU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Patrick Warburton was also great in it

To be fair, has there ever been anything he isn't great in?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

axleblaze posted:

I would listen to Patrick Warburton just rambling about hamburgers, and have.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tin Gang posted:

Correction: cheeseburgers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tin Gang posted:

As have I. As. Have. I.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Red Shirt Shaggy was kind of a weird point in Scooby Doo.

Red Shirt Shaggy is kind of like Red Shirt Charlie Brown, we all recognize it's wrong and just kinda overlook it.

axleblaze posted:

Kronk's New Groove, maybe?

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 23, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

raditts posted:

Red Shirt Shaggy is kind of like Red Shirt Charlie Brown, we all recognize it's wrong and just kinda overlook it.

Except for Ghoul School, also known as the first monster girl anime.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

Except for Ghoul School, also known as the first monster girl anime.

You kid but I've seen it's fandom

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

when I was a little kid I had a vhs tape of scooby-doo meets the boo brothers that I'm surprised didn't drive my poor mother to murder me as often as I wanted to watch it. I occasionally find myself quoting it and making off-hand references.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hated Scooby Doo when I was younger. I'm the age where, during my prime cartoon-watching years, Cartoon Network showed Scooby Doo about twelve hours a day and by God I hated how often it was on.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Scooby Doo was the superior teenagers with talking object/animal shows Hanna-Barbera mass produced at that time which isn't saying much.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Didn't they make the others based on the success of Scooby Doo?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

raditts posted:

Didn't they make the others based on the success of Scooby Doo?

Yup, indeed that's how most HB series came to be, one show does well, so they copy the formula till it stops selling, same thing if a competitor comes up with a successful show

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, if you take a look at Wikipedia, like half of HB's shows in the 70's fell into the formula of "a bunch of teenagers solve mysteries with their quirky nonhuman sidekick/mascot."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Even before the '70s, Hanna-Barbera had no originality. Top Cat was an animated Sgt. Bilko, The Flintstones was an animated The Honeymooners, and Yogi Bear was a rip-off of a different old sitcom as well.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I always wanted a modern Scooby show to acknowledge the Red Shirt Shaggy days.

"There's no such things as ghosts Shaggy."
"Yeah Fred? Well you weren't on that road trip where I raced a vampire, became a werewolf, and raised a pack of monster girls."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

"We met Batman and Robin and the Three Stooges on multiple occasions, why is it impossible to believe I hung out with Vincent Price for a few months?!"

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And Cher

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xelkelvos posted:

Velma knew the identities and the details of each of the unmasked when telling the tour group (which featured an unnamed Don Knotts parody) about the "monsters"

Right right! Totally blanked on that.

Now I remember it's why the sheriff was so antagonistic towards them, as they'd debunked a lot of stuff that would have made Crystal Cove a popular tourist trap.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

"Yeah Fred? Well you weren't on that road trip where I raced a vampire, became a werewolf, and raised a pack of monster girls."

Heck I'm kinda amazed they never had Shaggy's girlfriend from Reluctant Werewolf ever show up in anything afterwards, although honestly Shaggy's had enough love interests over the years that it would be easy to make him into a Harem Anime Protagonist

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Anyone check out the first episode of Milo Murphy's Law?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Tin Gang posted:

Next on things i didn't realize my life needed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I actually kinda liked Scooby Doo and the Boo Brothers. :smith:

raditts posted:

Yup. Show was garbage.

Y-Hat posted:

Even before the '70s, Hanna-Barbera had no originality. Top Cat was an animated Sgt. Bilko,

Never heard of this show, but I just saw a clip of it on youtube and there's a character in there that I swear to god is the same dude who did the voice of Benny the Ball.

edit: Also, you totally stole this from the Simpsons.

You thought we would notice.

But we did.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, if Scooby Doo has a 50th anniversary movie in 2019, I hope do a big reunion with all these classic weirdos. Good and bad.

Mr Interweb posted:

I actually kinda liked Scooby Doo and the Boo Brothers. :smith:

The only bad part I can think of is that hillbilly lovestruck over Shaggy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

edit: Also, you totally stole this from the Simpsons.

You thought we would notice.

But we did.
That line you're referring to wasn't a joke, though it was played for laughs.

quote:

Like [The Flintstones], Top Cat was based on an earlier, live-action sitcom — in this case, You'll Never Get Rich, in which Sgt. Ernie Bilko (Phil Silvers) operated various scams on a military base, maintaining a love/hate relationship with the local authority figure, Col. Hall (Phil Ford). Top Cat (voiced by character actor Arnold Stang) operated various scams in a New York alley, maintaining a love/hate relationship with the local authority figure, Officer Dibble (voiced by Allen Jenkins). To drive the point home, Top Cat's Benny the Ball, the character that corresponded to Bilko's Pvt. Doberman, was voiced by Maurice Gosfield — the actor who played Doberman.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 25, 2016

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I knew it!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I did. It was pretty good. Feels fairly similar to Phinneas and Ferb but that's not a bad thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

"We met Batman and Robin and the Three Stooges on multiple occasions, why is it impossible to believe I hung out with Vincent Price for a few months?!"

"Because that red shirt still smells like a Bob Marley concert at a Las Vegas buffet after washing it a hundred times"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Catching up with Star Vs now the latest eps are up, and I love (By the Book Spoilers)Ludo's final line in "By the Book" after he gets kicked back to Muni after trying to learn how to make his wand work - "Hahahahaha.... guess what... THERE'S A BOOK!"

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

nerdman42 posted:

"Did you and Googie break up when you went to be a volleyball coach at that summer school last year?"
"I'm going to be honest with you Velma. Red Herring gave us some DMT and I was, like, tripping balls that entire summer. I think she stole my dad's hot-rod."
*his phone starts vibrating*
*32 missed calls from Sadie Mae Scroggins*

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just caught up on the week of new Powerpuff Girls CN just had and ehe the show still isn't amazing, it is slowly getting better as they get into their groove. I think if it manages to survive into a second season it might start being consistently good.

They still criminally have not been able to get Mojo Jojo right but at least I think their version of Princess is better.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

MrSlam posted:

Now that I think about it, explaining the plot of Boo Brothers had to be impossible.

"How'd you spend your weekend, Shaggy?"

"Scooby Scrappy and I went to check on the mansion left by my dead Confederate uncle, and he was a ghost so we brought in more ghosts except one of the ghosts was the twin brother of the sheriff. This girl had a crush on me and her brother tried to kill me. Also there was a bear."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Shaggy, you gotta stop hanging around Scrappy."

That is kinda the lowest common denominator, isn't it? Everything Scrappy was in was loving weird.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

nerdman42 posted:

Shaggy mostly on his own with Scoob and Daphne becomes a cowardly John Constantine where he practices and perfects the magic he learned from Vincent Price, KISS, Dracula, The Monster Girls, The Hex Sisters, The Voodoo from those Cat People, the Witch Ghost from Salem and what he learns on his Halloween Trips to the loving NETHERWORLD. Oh, and he sometimes turns into a werewolf and wrestles with the Undertaker.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrSlam posted:

"Did you and Googie break up when you went to be a volleyball coach at that summer school last year?"
"I'm going to be honest with you Velma. Red Herring gave us some DMT and I was, like, tripping balls that entire summer. I think she stole my dad's hot-rod."

Eh bringing in drugs to explain things just cheapens it

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

drrockso20 posted:

Eh bringing in drugs to explain things just cheapens it

"Scoob! It's a m-m-m-mmMUMMY!"
"Coach...Tannis was in a fire. She's very sensit-"
"G-G-G-GHOST!"
"I'm albino..."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrSlam posted:

"Scoob! It's a m-m-m-mmMUMMY!"
"Coach...Tannis was in a fire. She's very sensit-"
"G-G-G-GHOST!"
"I'm albino..."

Eh that's almost as bad

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

One of my favorite things from Mystery Inc. was the Griswolds showing up every now and again.
That was a fun little touch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Is the theme sung by Weird Al?

Edit: Not only was it sung by him, he voices Milo. I see what people mean when they say it's Phineas and Ferb- the Candice equivalent is that nerd, and Perry's equivalent is Diogee (also "voiced" by Dee Bradley Baker). No musical numbers, though, both for better and worse.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I feel like this thread gets into a big discussion about Scooby Doo every few months, why is that? I think another poster captured my feeling on Scooby Doo that it played on Cartoon Network way too much when I wanted to watch other things and I just grew a general aversion to it.
Was it an age thing and I just missed the boat or is there something I'm missing? I ask this from a place wanting to understand, what's the big deal with Scooby Doo?
It's had more reboots and side projects than any cartoon I can think of and I have no idea why.