Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
I saw a screening as well. Only about ten people in the theater, mostly twenty-somethings who came with their long-suffering parents for some reason.

I really liked how all the kids' actors who came back pitched their voices so it actually seemed like the kids had aged while still sounding recognizably like their 1999 characters--Sora in particular was done really well. The only voice I really missed was Joe's for some reason. His voice in Tri was so different from his original voice actor's (or at least from what I remember) that it was jarring whenever he spoke. Otherwise the new voices worked well for me.

Brave Heart sounded really epic in the theater but the evolution sequences just weren't the same without DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS :( I did wish there was more corny dub-style music besides the opening song if just for nostalgia's sake.

In all, I think Toei had a fine line to walk between nostalgia and still making a dub appealing to a wider audience, and I think they did good. I hope they continue dubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Now Bamco says it won't

:psyduck:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My theater was quiet during the movie.

Somebody yelled out "BUT WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE SECOND ONE YET" when the post-credits stuff just spoiled the entire plot of the second movie.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

My theater was packed, but that's because we were in the middle of Manhattan. Some of the theater staff were standing in the corridor watching the movie as well, I guess they aren't immune to nostalgia either.

Got there a little late so I missed some of the opening trying to ape the digirap, but the part I did hear was super cringe. Everyone was cheering after every digivolution, which was great. Love the fact that used Brave Heart, though I think some people missed the dub digivolution theme, though the Japanese one worked a lot better IMO. Getting almost all the dub voices back was a great decision, hit all the right nostalgia notes with it.

Got used to the Japanese names of the characters and terms watching the movies subbed, and hearing the English versions took some getting used to again, but I made the switch easy enough.

Man, people in my theater were bitching about spoilers when they showed that trailer for part 3, with the recap it had in the beginning. It's not like the second movie has been available subbed for like 6 months now. If you refuse to watch it just because its subbed, that's your own drat fault and you have no right to complain about spoilers. Actually got into arguments with people bitching about spoilers regarding this after the movie was over.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 16, 2016

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

My screening started stuttering at the beginning of the airport fight and then ended up jumping ahead 3 or 4 minutes to the end of the fight :( I mean I've already watched it in Japanese ages ago but I still wanted to take in every moment of the film in English. But oh my god, what a treat this movie was, it scratched a nostalgic itch that I didn't know needed scratching. My audience was full of late 20 somethings who all cheered at the proper parts Izzy's "Prodigious!" landed the most cheers, alongside all of his and Mimi's interactions and were surprisingly okay when the technical glitch happened, mostly taking the piss out of it by heckling a bit.

Also I got a cute poster with Tai and Agumon waving :canada: flags, with the caption 'To our US Digidestined' :confuoot: which was honestly charming in it's own way. Hopefully these screenings were a success cause I very much want to watch all these movies dubbed now!

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

So your'e saying you HAVEN'T watched the subtitled 2 yet? For shame! ;)

I hadn't even seen the first one until last night! Kept meaning to do it and then putting it off or getting busy.

The shouts of "spoilers!" In my theater for the second movie were mostly joking, tho some people couldn't read and got confused why part 3 was being shown.

Mimi got the most laughs, pretty much every scene she was in she was great.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GhostStalker posted:

Man, people in my theater were bitching about spoilers when they showed that trailer for part 3, with the recap it had in the beginning. It's not like the second movie has been available subbed for like 6 months now. If you refuse to watch it just because its subbed, that's your own drat fault and you have no right to complain about spoilers. Actually got into arguments with people bitching about spoilers regarding this after the movie was over.

They assumed (maybe incorrectly) that all the people showing up would be turbofans who already saw the subbed versions. There was some grousing about that in my theater too from a few people but I'd wager that 95% of the crowd had already seen the subtitled movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It will never not amuse me how Mimi is the constant low key favorite among everyone, if only for her absolute "gently caress you I'm fabulous" attitude.

The fact that her entire character arc in the second movie is just doubling down on "I'm perfect, gently caress you" is great.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Izzy best character, forever and always.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

kefkafloyd posted:

They assumed (maybe incorrectly) that all the people showing up would be turbofans who already saw the subbed versions. There was some grousing about that in my theater too from a few people but I'd wager that 95% of the crowd had already seen the subtitled movies.

Yeah, I guess. Probably more true for emptier theaters in the middle of nowhere, but I guess they'd pull in more casual fans in places like Manhattan. I think the thing that got me was the fact that the people who were complaining about spoilers were the loudest voices and the ones who had seen 2 already were just enjoying the trailer.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Burkion posted:

The fact that her entire character arc in the second movie is just doubling down on "I'm perfect, gently caress you" is great.

it's a great bait and switch, they make you briefly think they're going to dial her back, then turn that poo poo up

Mimi, Mimi, Mimi

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rodyle posted:

it's a great bait and switch, they make you briefly think they're going to dial her back, then turn that poo poo up

Mimi, Mimi, Mimi

I really liked Mimi's arc.

Joe's was the one I was most looking forward to after pieceing up what was going on with him in OVA 1 due to how relatable it was for me (struggling with college despite working really hard and not having time to spend with your friends) but it ended dissapointing me in how it was resolved with "Ok, I'm better now"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Applimonsters is going to be amaziing.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Applimonsters is going to be amaziing.

This is your brain on steroids.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Alternatively: This digimon designed by strongbad

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is it more like a Digimon Story?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bruh, do you even sudoku?

mikeycp posted:

Is it more like a Digimon Story?

It's more of a collection and battle rpg than something like Digimon World, but it's not like CS at all in terms of gameplay.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
So something different. I guess I'll remain cautiously optimistic as long as it's not a World-like.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

App Fusion seems to be something you do in battle, rather than something you do once and then you have a fully evolved Mon like you do in Story. It's more like the various Digimon anime in that regard.

In any case, only "Cyber Arena" is out. The full game doesn't launch until December in Japan.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's fine. I just needed to know if it was a raising sim or not. If it's something interesting and new then good on them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Super slow one, but still dug it. Interesting emotional beats and parallels. The twist at the end, tho.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Look who's back

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Is that? Machinedramon & Sora and her bird?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yep. There's also Matt and Tai in the poster.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The twist at the end, tho.

Am I supposed to recognise Part 2 Anakin Skywalker?

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
If they continue to do the dubs I hope to God they get the original dub Machinedramon voice. Hands down the best dub voice from Adventure.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

a cartoon duck posted:

Am I supposed to recognise Part 2 Anakin Skywalker?

He's Gennai

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

In regard to MachineDramon, it took me a while to put together that the reboot means the Dark Masters are back alive and well, so that's the same dude and that's awesome.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In regard to MachineDramon, it took me a while to put together that the reboot means the Dark Masters are back alive and well, so that's the same dude and that's awesome.

Oh yeah, that would be the case, wouldn't it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Machinedramon was the best Dark Master, even if he didn't do much, so I'm not complaining.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 24, 2016

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They now have the ability to do what was once thought impossible; kill Leomon twice.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ethiser posted:

They now have the ability to do what was once thought impossible; kill Leomon twice.

Dude, hold on. They already did that. This would be the third time.

Also, I love that my observation that they're using trinary code has gone from "cool detail" to "important note".

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
It was good but it still doesn't feel right. Like at some points they are trying so hard to yank the nostalgia feels chain

My least liked aspects were

- Sora's shoehorned mother attitude. Like yeah, we get it, her emblem is Love, she realised her mother cared for her and she worries too much about others, but man was it portrayed over the top with her calling everyone every 10 minutes and telling Mei that she came here for her tears. Unless it's eventually a setup for Sora tryharding to force a Mega Evolution and it backfire into Ornismon or something of the sort. Doubt it, but it would be cool.

- TK's segment started very emotional, with him trying to protect Patamon and not wanting to lose him while not putting the others at risk. A nod to the loss of Original Angemon or as some people were speculating Patamon evolving into Devimon for some PTSD points would have been nice, but oh well. But then it just devolved into everyone else was infected too all along, so TK continuing to blame himself over it was borderline Narm. Not too harsh on this point though, as it may still be expanded upon in the future.

- Everyone's inability to be angry at Mei/Meicoomon. I get it, it's Digimon so the anger feeling only exists to fuel Tai X Matt ships, but Tri so far had made a really good job on their approach to address more mature topics like growing up, failure and rejection.

- The fight scenes felt weird. I guess they were trying to give the impression they didn't want to hurt Meicoomon? But the repetitive pile stacking and scrums over using their attacks looked really weird to me.

On the other hand, I'm glad the authors finally made it clear that HerculesKabuterimon is the best Digimon :colbert: Pokemon could learn from this so that the Pokemon Megathread doesn't devolve into a "what's the best Pokemon" discussion every 2 pages.

Is there an OVA 4 trailer already or just the image?

Someone dropped this on tumblr. Let the WMG begin!

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 25, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

On your second point, I think Patamon staying out is what infected the others since he was way further along than the rest. Basically, TK doomed them all.

Ethiser posted:

He died in the real world, dawg. He is super goneso, methinks.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284077

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Those can't be real people. I refuse to believe anyone is that upset about this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Those can't be real people. I refuse to believe anyone is that upset about this.

They're not real people. They own vitas.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
God drat HerculesKabuterimon went down like a champ. Wish he had more time on screen though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Can I just say taking some of these movies lines as meta makes it really hilarious

Well continuity got hosed up, so we need to reboot the franchise. However if we do that, no ones going to have any memories of what happened, it'll all go back to the beginning.

Also the main way of tracking that bad poo poo is happening is analyzing digimon data to find where their data has started reading 02.

EDIT: I needed something to make me laugh because this movie hit so many feels and then ended on "WAIT WHAT?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man, I was getting really confused about what you guys were talking about. I somehow completely missed the release of part 3 of tri.