Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Party Plane Jones posted:

You can tell the Babylon 5 prop department was truly a fly by night operation what with the repurposed roller coaster seats.

The station generates gravity by rotation, the core shuttles near the center are supposed to be at very low g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah that's pretty clear, it's just funny that the props are so obviously castoffs from Six Flags or something.

Not that there was much reason to make something new, it's a solid design for the purpose.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think Delenn was androgynous, I thought she was straight up supposed to be male the first season but the makeup/voice changing didn't work at all and rather than intentionally have a lovely thing they just switched to female.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The original idea was to have Delenn be male until he came out of the chrysalis to make for a more dramatic change. But the poor effects of the makeup meant they ditched it early on.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Ron Thorton's ill :(

https://www.gofundme.com/2pbngrnc

We have him to think for all kinds of B5 CGI goodness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

B5's bloodlust cannot be slaked.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's a bit gutting that we'll never see Ron Thornton's/Foundation's B5 CGI in full-res as it was originally rendered because of Warners loving up the masters. It may be primitive by modern standards, but it was groundbreaking and had a unique look - you instantly knew you were looking at a B5 shot just from how colourful it was.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Party Plane Jones posted:

You can tell the Babylon 5 prop department was truly a fly by night operation what with the repurposed roller coaster seats.
One big laugh my family always had in the 90s was the round ridged storage containers you see in a lot of background scenes? Yeah those are composters and we had one in the backyard.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fuckin' lol

JMS has a really odd sense of humor sometimes. :iamafag:

Also, just got to the conversation with the thread title. That was a good bit of dialogue.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ah, Babylon 5 thread, how I've missed you!

I don't stray into TVIV much these days, so it took me a while to realize someone made a new one.

I finally did a rewatch of the series last winter, and holy poo poo, did I actually notice some of the plot lines and hints start coming together.

Confession time: I kind of gave up a few episodes into season 5. My computer's dvd player was having issues, and I didn't feel like walking downstairs with my newly-purchased box set to watch it on the blu-ray player.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mojo1701a posted:

Ah, Babylon 5 thread, how I've missed you!

I don't stray into TVIV much these days, so it took me a while to realize someone made a new one.

I finally did a rewatch of the series last winter, and holy poo poo, did I actually notice some of the plot lines and hints start coming together.

Confession time: I kind of gave up a few episodes into season 5. My computer's dvd player was having issues, and I didn't feel like walking downstairs with my newly-purchased box set to watch it on the blu-ray player.

You have chosen... poorly

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wait wrong franchise

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Say what you will about Sinclair having the personality of a doorstop but O'Hare definitely played the manic taunter in Infection pretty well. It's really one of the better early season episodes though McCallum really doesn't put forth much effort into his guest spot.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait wrong franchise

The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
One of the things that really impressed throughout multiple rewatches is how well Sheridan's characterization actually comes through. He often called a carrier soldier with little to no interest or experience in politics, whose claim to fame was the destruction of the Black Star with some innovative tactic while on a disadvantage.

In science fiction, so many characters are called brilliant strategists without ever actually showing that on screen, but Sheridan really pulls of a tonne usual maneuvers through clever thinking throughout the series. What comes to mind is the destruction of the first shadow ship, the escape from Jupiter and the attack on Mars. Same with politics really not being his strong suit. This one is more of an arc, but you can really see how his approach changes overt he series, but you can also tell he never really grows to like it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
This show swung for the fences, and although in re-watch a fair number of the lines I adored in it as a teenager are pretty cringeworthy now, it hit the high notes like few others.

I remember legit crying when I saw "Sleeping in the Light" when I saw 15. The neighbor girl who was humoring me by watching her first episode ever of this cheesy sci-fi show was pretty much balling at the end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dirty posted:

Ron Thorton's ill :(

https://www.gofundme.com/2pbngrnc

We have him to think for all kinds of B5 CGI goodness.

One of the striking things about B5's CGI is that the "camera" work is really excellent.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Subvisual Haze posted:

This show swung for the fences, and although in re-watch a fair number of the lines I adored in it as a teenager are pretty cringeworthy now, it hit the high notes like few others.

I remember legit crying when I saw "Sleeping in the Light" when I saw 15. The neighbor girl who was humoring me by watching her first episode ever of this cheesy sci-fi show was pretty much balling at the end.

I'll admit I kinda teared up when Sheriden is in Downbelow with Kosh looking for "a moment of beauty" and the rags of clothes around suddenly come up and start chanting. It was mesmerizing.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
After the flash of light in "sleeping in light" the rest of the episode gets me. And then after that last shot I go back and watch the in-the-future part of the s4 season ender. Because it means more after seeing the end.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You have chosen... poorly

Here's a confession, then: I love Babylon 5, but I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two episodes of the fifth season. The fourth season just feels so... final. It's hard for me to convince myself that it's worth watching anything after that.

Someone convince me I'm wrong.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paradoxish posted:

Here's a confession, then: I love Babylon 5, but I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two episodes of the fifth season. The fourth season just feels so... final. It's hard for me to convince myself that it's worth watching anything after that.

A poo poo ton of Centauris

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Paradoxish posted:

If you watch Season 5 you are all clear to watch Babylon 5 Crusade.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Its better than Legends of the Rangers

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

You won't get anything like S5 in any other show. If B5 had ended after the climax of S4 (like any other show would), it would've still been a great show, don't get me wrong, but S5 adds a rich texture to it that enhances the rest of the show, and gives a lot of closure to the characters. It doesn't just go "happily ever after." It gives you the sense that what they did had meaning, even though no victories are final, and there are more stories that go on afterward. So, Payndz, if you don't consider that "essential" then I don't know what to tell you.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It helps turn Londo into even more of a tragic figure. You find out more how he got to his fTW a you saw when Sheridan became unstuck in time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Moychandising! Moychandising!

Good belly laugh moments at the human mask, and the "attributes" of the Londo doll. "You feel like you've been symbolically cast— ... in a negative light." :haw:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I'm somewhere in the early Season 2 at this point (episode 4 or 5 I think?). I'm kind of taking time to get used to Sheridan, as I really liked Sinclair. What was the off-set reason for switching? I was all ready and excited to see Delenn's transformation and exit from the cocoon, only to have it immediately ruined by the opening credits of Season 2.

The opening credits was an error during DVD remastering - when they were originally broadcast the credits had a shot of Delenn in the Series 1 makeup on the first two episodes which was replaced by the standard shot once the transformation was revealed.

One of the many screw-ups on the DVD releases!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

In the commentary JMS said he inquired at the FCC the exact limit for something to be considered (illegal?) subliminal messaging and got as close to it as possible.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nothing in the shadow war disturbed me more than Lennier having to listen at the door while Delen ritually explores Sinclair's pleasure centers and then a few episodes later when Garibaldi has to watch the woman he still loves play housewife-maidservant to a wizened geriatric scrotum of a man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The intro section of "Knives" is great; batting cages and alien opera, both more realistic than anything Trek ever did.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I love Garibaldi's tactical fleece pullover with elasticized battle cuffs.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Nothing in the shadow war disturbed me more than Lennier having to listen at the door while Delen ritually explores Sinclair's pleasure centers and then a few episodes later when Garibaldi has to watch the woman he still loves play housewife-maidservant to a wizened geriatric scrotum of a man.

Bill Mumy did an amazing loving job given that he was pretty much nothing else then a known child actor and for the last 10 years prior to the role he'd only done 2-3 extremely minor roles. His charecterization, cadence, and diction was just perfect.

It apparently made his stock rise so high he kept getting offers to appear on other sci-fi shows but refused any "alien" part he was given until he finally got a "random Star Trek redshirt" role for DS9.

edit: "Passing Through Gethsemane" really is a great episode for a lot of reasons. It has so much going on for just a few minor characters yet really at it's core why B5 was so much better then ST when it came to moral lessons. Also, Brad Dourif loving knocked it out of the park.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 26, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Delenn: "butt butt butt :butt: :butt: :butt:"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm rewatching the series and really, the only two absolute stinkers in the first season are Believers and TKO. And even TKO is only half the episode dealing with the martial arts crap, the stuff dealing with Ivanova sitting shiva is important to character development.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Believers is great

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Doing the same and just finished Deathwalker. The resigned acceptance, following all the lesser races' diplomatic arguments, that the Vorlons can just do whatever the gently caress they want is great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Vorlons are really sinister if you are paying attention and not distracted by Real Kosh being cool. They did a good job with that and that there was nothing you could do with them. Vorlons killed somebody and you're pissed off. Vorlons don't give a gently caress and what are you going to do about it? That's what I thought.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, i think there is a line about how Lyta is the first person ever who actually went to Vorlon space and came out of it alive. Excluding the Minbari, you really get the impression that the Vorlons don't really care all that much about the younger races, it's really just about proofing their point right as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grand Fromage posted:

The Vorlons are really sinister if you are paying attention and not distracted by Real Kosh being cool. They did a good job with that and that there was nothing you could do with them. Vorlons killed somebody and you're pissed off. Vorlons don't give a gently caress and what are you going to do about it? That's what I thought.

e X posted:

Yeah, i think there is a line about how Lyta is the first person ever who actually went to Vorlon space and came out of it alive. Excluding the Minbari, you really get the impression that the Vorlons don't really care all that much about the younger races, it's really just about proofing their point right as well.

The Vorlons don't even seem to care about the Minbari. It's like the Minbari look up to them like space gods and the Vorlons are like 'Eh, whatever'.