Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol. that reminds me. what does the J (?) on vega's necklace stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

lol. that reminds me. what does the J (?) on vega's necklace stand for?

It's the same symbol as on his mask and it could also be a "7" maybe?

I actually have no idea and even Google-fu turned out with nothing. I'd love to know as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

lol goddamn nice clipping

There's a gif out there of his braid freaking the gently caress out during story mode and spinning rapidly through his shoulder or something. Wish I still had it

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I played other video games today, it was amazing.
I highly recommend SFV as the salt before a real meal, just to make it taste better.
It makes you appreciate things, learn not to take poo poo for granted.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It stands for Jesus. Vega is very Catholic, as observed due to his obsession with corrupting innocent girls and all.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
by the way someone hit me up with a link to the goon fighting discord or something, I kinda wanna fight somepeople sometime

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Jack Trades posted:

You guys are just bad at SFV. The game is perfect.
Stop complaining just because you can't win.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

lol goddamn nice clipping

Police officer assaults man just trying to eat his noodles

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Al-Saqr posted:

I posted about this before, but he's insanely OP. If I play conservatively, he can flip halfway accross the arena and grab me mid air if I try to escape, he has lots of moves that break block and it's incredibly hard to escape his pressure when I get cornered.

If I try attacking, holy poo poo there's no end of ways he can annihalate and punish me, his wind swipes, his stun-on-commands his goddamn mid air grabs, it's unbelievable. so I cant keep my distance OR pile the pressure on him without eating poo poo. I cant escape his pressure and it's impossible to escape him on wakeup. Also it doesnt help that the guy I'm playing against is really good.

Also, I play Karin, Ryu, and I'm thinking of trying Juri.

I know I talked about this before, I'm just venting my anger lol.

If you're not trolling, this is the secret strat I use against 'Lounge' Alexs, a "Lounge Alex" test if you will. If you do this one weird trick and they switch character right after losing, they're probably good, if they don't then just keep doing it: Mash jab when he is pressing buttons at midscreen (except EX obviously), antiair if he jumps (but dont try to antiair headbutt or stomp, simply walk or jump away.)

99% of online Alex just do random QCF from far away, or jump in, then use their slow sloppy pokes that trades favorably with absolutely none of the cast and if you block 2+ attacks, they will try to dash in command grab. Like sure he can do a lot of damage, but he is a lot like Zangief in the sense that he seems like he has an infinite ways to 'punish' you, until you realize that his options are extremely limited and requires YOU to do something wrong, without many ways to forcing you to do so. It only works if you simply don't know how vulnerable he actually is during his slow attacks, hence the jab comment. There is definitely other poo poo like being able to just throw him when he does his v-skill while in v-trigger.

Try it in training mode if you're scared or something, just record an Alex doing various moves, dash in command grab, headbutt, QCF to get in, or whatever you're getting hit with. Then try pressing various buttons (especially jab) into it from full screen and close and you'll see what I mean. 9 out of 10 characters can just kind of stuff him out of everything with this button or the other, Ryu and Karin most certainly ken.

It's always on the Alex to play well, you don't have to even be average to beat him with loving Karin. Basically Alex cant do poo poo unless you let him.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jack Trades posted:

It's the same symbol as on his mask and it could also be a "7" maybe?

I actually have no idea and even Google-fu turned out with nothing. I'd love to know as well.
It's a snake head

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mango sentinel posted:

It's a snake head

oh so like the open mouth with fangs so in profile his mask looks more snake like on one side?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Has anyone ever modded Alex's legs the right way 'round?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
https://twitter.com/Skarmand/status/715242147260211204

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn69LJ0239E&t=2193s

https://www.playmidair.com/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:lol:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

dafuq?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dare has no gibbis but dare must post

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loving Lowtax.
He deleted GBS and now Dare is spilling himself all over the forums.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I guess we know who the gbs readers are

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CaptCommy posted:

Yeah, unfortunately you need to update, restart, and then remove Capcom.sys from System32. It's obnoxious, but there might not be a way for Steam to handle uninstalling from that directory anyways.

Is this file somewhere more specific? I uninstalled SFV and I don't see anything called capcom.sys anywhere in my system32 folder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

S.J. posted:

Is this file somewhere more specific? I uninstalled SFV and I don't see anything called capcom.sys anywhere in my system32 folder.

It's supposed to be straight in the system32 folder. If it's not there then maybe you haven't started the game while it was installing the malware?
They stopped installing it after like 12 hours or so.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Jack Trades posted:

It's supposed to be straight in the system32 folder. If it's not there then maybe you haven't started the game while it was installing the malware?
They stopped installing it after like 12 hours or so.

Oh yeah I definitely missed it then. Rock on.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

So, sorry I haven't been following everything. Do I have malware from SFV now? Should I do anything to fix this? Wtf is going on?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Booyah- posted:

So, sorry I haven't been following everything. Do I have malware from SFV now? Should I do anything to fix this? Wtf is going on?

Have you started SFV at any point during first 12 hours of the Urien update?
If no, then you're good. If yes then you need to delete Capcom.sys from your Windows/System32 folder.

As to what's going on. Capcom basically used a really lovely piece of software that opened a massive backdoor in everyone's system just to try to stop people from cheating in survival mode.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 25, 2016

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wait, are the daily targets actually weekly targets? What the christ.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So I'm really really bad at fighting games and ever since SFV came out I've been trying to get better. However I feel like I've made no progress. I want to know what I'm doing wrong so I recorded an average online match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjcDGDRrCzc

Anyone here willing to give me feedback?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

lmaooooooo

Uriens crappiness drove me to ggxr and drat this is a good game. I pokes hurth in the rear end with faust.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

kancho ftw

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmaooooooo

Uriens crappiness drove me to ggxr and drat this is a good game. I pokes hurth in the rear end with faust.
ggxr is on flash sale for $24 on psn

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Lucinice posted:

So I'm really really bad at fighting games and ever since SFV came out I've been trying to get better. However I feel like I've made no progress. I want to know what I'm doing wrong so I recorded an average online match.

At around 25-30 mark you were using sweep at real close range. Way too risky, I would only use it sparingly at the tip. You were also using HK at real close range, but the chun didn't know she could punish it (it's really punishable at that range, I only really use it after a powerbomb usually). Chun does legs at around 33, which I'm sure should be punishable with jab into lp chop or ex chop.

The biggest thing you weren't using was cr.mp, it's probably alex's best poke and will really frustrate a lot of players into either jumping on you or trying to counter poke it. Get used to using lp as your anti-air, you never used it. When they land you can make them guess powerbomb or f+hp (lariat) at the very least. f+hp is also decent as an anti-air if you do it early enough, get used to following up with elbow on crush counter, or ex-chop.

Never use ex-elbow unless it's a reaction to a standard fireball, even then I would use ex-stomp because you're plus if you're too slow (just press lp into lp chop if they block the ex-stomp, players at that level will get hit by it all the time unless they're mashing a DP).

Don't jump at chun unless you're at a range where your jump will cross them up and her lk won't hit you. Just use lk as your cross-up normal and confirm into lp chop or ex-chop with a couple of jabs. Alternatively, just cross-up with lk and do f+hp, you're plus and can make them guess powerbomb or mp. If the mp is a counter hit you can just do another mp into lp chop or ex-chop.

This chun doesn't know how to do instant air legs, but the easiest way to beat it with alex is just cr.lp. Again, you can do a meaty normal or powerbomb when they land.

When you meet chun players who can actually use lk to anti-air you, you have the option of using your cross-air chop (down+hp at the peak of your jump), but this is a hard read and you risk getting blown up if they simply didn't press an anti-air normal, you will get a shitload of damage if they tried to press lk though.

If you're against players who are just throwing out grounded normals all day, start using hp buffered into mk elbow or hp chop. Try putting the training dummy in random block and get used to confirming hp chop into back-drop, you have a lot of time to confirm it. If your hp catches them as a counter-hit, then the hp chop will always hit and you can do backdrop. This will be about half of their stun bar and you can usually follow up with something like lk elbow. You can also try throwing the occasional hp chop out if you're sure they're not going to be jumping a lot, just get used to recognising the hit and doing a backdrop.

This MU is in chun's favour but you can easily beat someone of this level by keeping them out with cr.mp and anti-airing with jabs to make them guess on their landing. Press that cr.mp like you're playing rose in alpha 2.

If it helps, you can look at the last couple of matches I played against a decent chun (ignore their rank, they have at least 3 other accounts that I know of). What I wrote is pretty much what I try to do against Chun players.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 25, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Have you started SFV at any point during first 12 hours of the Urien update?
If no, then you're good. If yes then you need to delete Capcom.sys from your Windows/System32 folder.

As to what's going on. Capcom basically used a really lovely piece of software that opened a massive backdoor in everyone's system just to try to stop people from cheating in survival mode.

Cool, I deleted the malware. Thank you

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Would anyone like a 50% coupon for the digital PS4 version of SFV? I'm crap at fighting games, don't like to play with other people and honestly prefer Alpha 3 and 4 Ultra.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lucinice posted:

You will probably win a ton more games once you realize what is safe and what isn't. The first game you lost just from getting punished with unsafe footsie stuff. Also you seem to reflexively jump in when you don't know what to do, which is super readable, and you don't really have a followup for what to do when you hit j. HK.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I feel like I'm right on the cusp of being able to be a lot better. I've got to lobby with a few of you who actually play this game still, but I still have a lot to learn, so have at it.

Edit: Fixed Video Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3uwJe6i2jI

I stream on Twitch to an empty lobby, but videos are up if anyone wants to take more of a look, you can probably find a lot from the videos.
Something in the Meantime

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 26, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Illuminado posted:

I stream on Twitch to an empty lobby, but videos are up if anyone wants to take more of a look, you can probably find a lot from the videos.
Something in the Meantime

Geez, talk about false advertising. Your head isn't actually a light bulb.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Jack Trades posted:

Geez, talk about false advertising. Your head isn't actually a light bulb.

I'm not an lightbulb, I've been carrying this around with me for almost 8 years.

Specific Vega Hating is directed exclusively at Jack Trades.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 26, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Illuminado posted:

SFV Vega is garbage though, he's got nothing basically.
Just jump in on his rear end and he won't be able to do poo poo about it. Also SFV Vega has a lot less real frametraps than it looks, you can just mash your jab at him.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
To beat Vega remember the following things:

Just do whatever

His poo poo aint real

He cant actually stop you from doing anything

Never respect him.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Illuminado posted:

Okay, I actually watched that match now.
You totally demolished that Vega but instead of calmly finishing him off you got on tilt and lost 2 rounds when you should've won.

You literally needed to know two things to absolutely destroy that Vega:
1) Beat walldive with jump back HP or nj.HK (or other high priority normal) or with cr.mp/st.hk even (less reliable)
2) If you're winning but made a mistake, calm the gently caress down and block instead of doing random poo poo.

EDIT: Also, have you noticed how he couldn't do poo poo against your moonsaults? Doing anything about those as Vega requires insanely good on-reaction VS or st.hk which is basically impossible with the input lag. Just lock his rear end in moonsault loops.

Also Also this

A.o.D. posted:

To beat Vega remember the following things:

Just do whatever

His poo poo aint real

He cant actually stop you from doing anything

Never respect him.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
gently caress the illuminati, your fireballs and your ten game win streak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDrmbAG11g