Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
sawyer mini is super popular, I have a katadyn hiker pro that I like, it's bombproof, more expensive, and heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

turevidar posted:

sawyer mini is super popular, I have a katadyn hiker pro that I like, it's bombproof, more expensive, and heavier.

Have one of these as well. Good for filtering lots of water quickly. Excellent for group camping.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I have an msr pump filter. It's bulkier and heavier, but is good for refilling multiple bottles on group hikes.

Will probably get a sawyer mini sometime soon.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

One of the guys on my last hiking trip got an MSR cap -> Sawyer adapter online and he would fill up his 3L MSR bag from a stream and then let it gravity feed through the Sawyer into his clean water 2L bladder. It took about a minute to fill the whole thing, but you just hang it from a tree and let it run. I thought that was a pretty simple and quick way of filtering a lot of water at once.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I have an MSR Guardian. Pretty expensive but it seems to live up to its claims. Slightly smaller than a Nalgene but it had no problems filtering water from the scummiest part of a dam and refilled my bottle in around 30 seconds. I look forward to finding the filthiest water sources just to test it out.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I went with the sawyer mini, cant argue with the price and at this stage I'm not sure how much I'll be doing hikes like this. This will be by far the most challenging things I've done yet and I'm nervous but really excited. Thanks for all the help.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
:3: Good luck! I still get excited, Nothing like some adventure and relying on yourself and a few basic supplies for a few days. And campfires and staring at the stars. If anything having a water filter and little stove is good in case of natural disaster, power, water outage, etc.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Campfires and where it's at. Gotta do something when the sun goes down.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Time Cowboy posted:

* You will always need more water than you think. A water filter will be my very next purchase. Luckily, the Sawyer Minis don't seem to be too pricey.

* Hammocks seem to be a lot more satisfactory than tents. I had a little tent and a foam pad, and it sucked. I got like two hours of sleep. No way I can afford a hammock setup right now, but that's the goal, eventually.

Awesome shots--looks like a phenomenal trip!

I completely agree on water, having enough is always my biggest concern on a trip. The sawyer mini is great, but I hate squeezing the bags, so I'm planning on getting the gravity filter version soon as the next generation comes out.

You're absolutely right that hammocks are kickass and wayy easier to sleep comfortably in than a tent. However, one thing to keep in mind is that almost nobody sleeps well their first night in an unfamiliar setting. It does take a night or two for most people to get comfortable sleeping outdoors, it's just how our brains are wired.

I could never get properly comfortable on sleeping pads though, especially as a side/stomach sleeper. Too many pressure points, except with my buddy's six pound neoair dream mattress. But even he eventually switched to hammocks because carrying that beast around sucks.

Check out hammockforums.com, there's hammock setups at any price point. Heck, you can make a complete hammock setup with a 10$ piece of nylon taffeta tablecloth and a few bucks of amsteel string and polypropylene webbing.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

This Hammock is not the one I primarily use for camping, but they had it at Costco for $20 so I thought I'd try it out. The suspensions is garbage. I mean, the ropes are strong enough to pull your truck, but it's way way way overkill for something to take hiking with you. The hammock itself, though, is legit. As a test, I swapped out my Dutchware slings onto this hammock and weighed it and it came in under my DoubleNest. This one is not quite as long as my DoubleNest (but long enough) and a little bit wider.

For someone curious about hammock camping and wanting to try one out without laying down a lot of money upfront, it's fine. Just keep in mind, you're going to want to swap those heavy straps out sooner instead of later.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Did y'all do anything for National Public Lands Day? I went to Mousetail Landing SP out along the Tennessee River for a morning hike, then in the afternoon the rangers led a combo canoe/hike up to a lookout where we cooked peach cobbler and enjoyed the sunset.

Their overnight trail (a ~9mile loop) was lightly trafficked and covered in moss in many places

However, a troop of overzealous Boy Scouts had blazed everything (earning themselves a ticket in the process) so there was no danger of losing the trail

The rangers were still clearly upset about that, but at least it provided a few laughs

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

All hail the schlong tree!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok so we went to an overnight hike with a couple of friends. Some lessons learned:

- 100 weight fleece is next to useless in usual Finnish weather. Best leave it home and take something actually warm with you.
- Polycotton dries quite fast if you get it wet. Our pants sleeves got wet while walking but they dried out during a lunch break.
- Pack wet outer tent and dry inner tent separately. Wipe and wave the wet outer as well as possible and stuff it to yout backpack's outer pocket or something. Tarptent uses really stiff plastic carabiners so removing the inner is a pain though. Metal carabiners would weigh around 50g or less and probably work a lot better. Maybe even simple hooks could work well enough...
- Silnylon stretches when wet, so you need to retighten the pitch... time to reguy the tent with lineloks. Moving the stakes around is crazy business.
- My Karrimor backpack from 1993 isn't that great anymore. It's quite light (1,7kg) for it's 65L capacity but the pocket arrangement is quite bad and the shoulder straps rubbed against my claviculas no matter what I did.
- I hate GTX shoes when it isn't freezing. The outer wets soon anyways and then the heat and moisture from your feet can never escape. So the GTX shoes feel like ovens. Also my Haglöfs do not twist from the ball of my feet, instead they do it on top of the big toe which hurts a lot. Time to throw these away.
- Gas stove is very nice if you want to have a cup of warm tea or something right now when friends setup the Trangia. In fact I'd have preferred to cook everything with gas but my friends insisted on using the Trangia so it took foreverrr for the water to actually boil.

I have the Tarptent Scarp 2 and I'm not sure really what to do with the stretch. It stretched enough so the outer touched the inner at the large side panels. I could use the extra crossing poles, or maybe try to lower the inner a bit with a piece of cord so there'd be more room for the outer to stretch...

I'm 201cm (6' 7") long so the 218cm scarp 2 inner is barely enough. My sleeping bag stayed dry despite it touching the inner tent, and me and my pal had lots of room inside. There was even room to sit upright in the tent and the side vestibules had enough room for all our gear and shoes.

Edit: oh and I'm past using foam sleeping pads. Even with very nice moss and other undergrowth the result is not good. It's very hard to find a flat sleeping surface too so I'd imagine an air-filled pad would help to even out the ground a bit, in addition to being more comfortable in general.

E2: and a photo of a Mr. Goony Goonface as a bonus:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 25, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Watching an argument in a scrambling group on Facebook about whether it's okay to blast music from speakers in the backcountry.

I'm team "Shut the gently caress up because it's noise pollution and bothers everyone else, you're in nature for gently caress sake" and apparently that means "YOU WANT ME TO GET EATEN BY A BEAR, GUESS I'LL JUST WALK IN SILENCE AND DIE"

These pro-music guys are loving livid. Someone said it was selfish behavior, and they turned it into "Oh, it's selfish to want to survive? Thanks". Pretty sure that's not what they meant, dude.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife has a Co worker friend who she likes to invite along on our hikes. The last hike she was invited to, she was blasting jack johnson for the last hour or so.

I'm kind of a grouch but I will say hello or good morning to every single person I pass, pet every dog on the trail but I have a very short fuse for littering and music on the trail. Sure it's not going to kill anybody or anything but it's just annoying and poor trail etiquette.

On a side note, I went through and cleaned my gear which was soaked, dirty and drying from last week. I sorted my stuff by category and put it into labeled bins in the garage. That felt really good. I can literally grab my two big totes, toss them in the car and be prepared for nearly any hiking or camping trip in minutes. I never realized I had so many kinds of wet wipes and bug sprays floating around.

Having all your gear clean and organized is a good feeling ... at least until the next trip when it gets hastily thrown into a bag.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm team "Shut the gently caress up because it's noise pollution and bothers everyone else, you're in nature for gently caress sake" and apparently that means "YOU WANT ME TO GET EATEN BY A BEAR, GUESS I'LL JUST WALK IN SILENCE AND DIE"
I didn't realize there was a big overlap between Harley Davidson enthusiasts and rock scramblers.
I have heard of mountain bikers startling bears because of their speed, but do bears not have keen enough senses to hear your average person walking around? I'd probably wear a bell if I was paranoid.

Unrelated: I'm going on a short weekend trip after not going on a hiking trip for years, so I'm probably going to grossly over pack.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
For the most part I'm Team Shut the gently caress Up, but music in the backcountry has led to some memorably amusing moments, like the time in the Catskills when some dude from Eastern Europe was power-hiking while blasting Native American chants from a portable speaker. Dude was in the ZONE.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you blast music you're an rear end in a top hat. That goes for pretty much anywhere where other people can hear it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

If I'm in the back country and my group is all done for the day and sitting around the campfire, then I might put on some tunes on my iPhone, but if it's loud enough that the campsite fifty feet away can hear it, then I have it up too loud. That bear argument is bunk.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CopperHound posted:

I'd probably wear a bell if I was paranoid.
I've heard that called the dinner bell.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Erwin posted:

I've heard that called the dinner bell.

I was under the impression that bears are spooked by human vocal noises, but a bell is likely to just pique their curiosity.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Flambeau posted:

I was under the impression that bears are spooked by human vocal noises, but a bell is likely to just pique their curiosity.

I've had a bear bell on my bag since 98 more for the tradition and the fact that I'm so used to it than bear encounter prevention. I haven't seen one on a pack in quite a few years and always get the old black/grizzly joke whenever someone hears it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Go Team Shut The gently caress Up!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Saw a bunch of people hiking on the JMT with bear bells this summer. Not really something I feel is necessary.

I have doubts that bells would attract a bear or anything, but blasting loud music is just pretty lame.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

Saw a bunch of people hiking on the JMT with bear bells this summer. Not really something I feel is necessary.

I have doubts that bells would attract a bear or anything, but blasting loud music is just pretty lame.

Oddly enough, I came face to face with a bear (ok, it was 20' away, but still) on HST and my friend and I just stopped, took photos, and made a whole bunch of bad bear puns while watching it eat berries and wander off. That bear could not have given a single gently caress about us being there. Grizzly country may be a different situation, but on JMT, I don't think you even need bells.

I guess some people are nervous about bears and maybe bells make them feel better. That would make sense to me. But I find bells annoying as hell and I could never wear them on my own pack or hike with someone else who did.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hungryjack posted:

Oddly enough, I came face to face with a bear (ok, it was 20' away, but still) on HST and my friend and I just stopped, took photos, and made a whole bunch of bad bear puns while watching it eat berries and wander off. That bear could not have given a single gently caress about us being there. Grizzly country may be a different situation, but on JMT, I don't think you even need bells.

I guess some people are nervous about bears and maybe bells make them feel better. That would make sense to me. But I find bells annoying as hell and I could never wear them on my own pack or hike with someone else who did.

To be fair, the reason you don't want to come face to face with a bear is because it might be a mother bear with cubs and that's a dicier situation.

I think it's best to avoid getting close by making a reasonable amount of noise as you hike, whether it's by talking or breaking dry branches every once in a while. It's definitely less of an issue if you're hiking with a group.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Tsyni posted:

To be fair, the reason you don't want to come face to face with a bear is because it might be a mother bear with cubs and that's a dicier situation.

Again, maybe in Grizzly country, but this doesn't apply to black bears in the situations that Levitate was in and that I was in. Still, I'm not here to rail against bear bells. I'm 100% fine with them.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Tsyni posted:

I think it's best to avoid getting close by making a reasonable amount of noise as you hike, whether it's by talking or breaking dry branches every once in a while. It's definitely less of an issue if you're hiking with a group.

In grizzly country I try to clap a few times when coming to blind corners and just every now and then. In black bear areas I've never really even thought about it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone here ever used an Oru folding kayak? A few of the guys I was out with over the weekend were talking them up, and apart from the price, they just look jaw droppingly amazing (from what I can tell). Definitely solves the storage and transportation part of the equation... I'm just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts or experience with them.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Anyone here ever used an Oru folding kayak? A few of the guys I was out with over the weekend were talking them up, and apart from the price, they just look jaw droppingly amazing (from what I can tell). Definitely solves the storage and transportation part of the equation... I'm just curious to see if anyone has any thoughts or experience with them.

My wife and i have been interested in them for a while. I follow @chrisbrinleejr on Instagram and he's always off somewhere around the world and this is his kayak of choice. My local REI has one on display and we checked it out. My wife wants the more open beach model, which I have not seen in person. I would love to know more about them from people who have used them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They seem awesome... just so unbelievably expensive.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Just glancing at the prices of kayaks on REI's site, they don't seem that far out of line price-wise. I'd be more concerned with how long they'll hold up with all the folding and unfolding. How long have they been around?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My friend has one and loves the everliving gently caress out of it. He's gotten some amazing photos in alpine lakes that would be pretty much impossible to get a normal kayak into.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The prices are very competitive for a middle of the pack priced kayak. More expensive than the roto-molded but on the low end of the composites. I'd love to try one, the weights are very attractive. No idea on durability, but seeing as the life of a roto-molded kayak is about infinity, these should probably do pretty well. I've worked with some engineered plastics and you can abuse them nearly endlessly (to a stress point) before they fail.

Make magazine did an interesting piece about the base material, coroplast : http://makezine.com/2012/11/26/a-folding-kayak-made-of-corrugated-plastic/

One thing I've learned about my kayaks, the easier it is to get out, the more often I use them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe I am just ignorant about kayaks, but it seems like you can get an equivalent non-folding kayak for like half the price?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

You can get a cheaper roto-molded unit for 1/4 the price. But it'll weigh about 60 pounds and track like a cardboard box. To get a comparable weight would cost you more than the Oru, (say an Epic GPX) a few hundred bucks more. The big selling point for me is the portability.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. Yeah, I would love to have one (or two, for the wife) to be able to throw them in the hatchback and then go kayaking. I guess it is like any other hobby, including backpacking, if you are not into it and you look at the pricetag you wonder how someone could justify it. It seems like it would be great for portaging as well.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have a long term plan to pack an Oru over the coast range from Squamish to Jervis Inlet, and then kayak down the Sunshine Coast. But I think I'm getting close to an age where packing one + a months gear up, across hella remote Alpine, and then back down 4000' would blow my knees out permanently. :black101:

Also, hut:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzqwxRgdm3/

There were only two of us last weekend and the snow is coming, so I have taken extraordinary social media measures to try and rustle up more helping hands before we're screwed. :ohdear:

Rime fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 26, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rime posted:

I have a long term plan to pack an Oru over the coast range from Squamish to Jervis Inlet, and then kayak down the Sunshine Coast. But I think I'm getting close to an age where packing one + a months gear up, across hella remote Alpine, and then back down 4000' would blow my knees out permanently. :black101:

Also, hut:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKzqwxRgdm3/

There were only two of us last weekend and the snow is coming, so I have taken extraordinary social media measures to try and rustle up more helping hands before we're screwed. :ohdear:

If I wasn't, you know, 2,000 miles away I'd help you guys knock that out.

Who am I kidding, I'm an engineer, I'd gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Ihmemies posted:

Ok so we went to an overnight hike with a couple of friends. Some lessons learned:

Edit: oh and I'm past using foam sleeping pads. Even with very nice moss and other undergrowth the result is not good. It's very hard to find a flat sleeping surface too so I'd imagine

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Agnes-Core-Long-Sleeping/dp/B008PMDKVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474928112&sr=8-2&keywords=big+agnes+air+core

I'm 6'3" and use the long (78"), it might work for you. Very comfortable and packs up small. R value is only 1 though. Foam pads are much better insulators from the cold ground.