Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swiss Knight
Jul 17, 2006

Dear Leader, who is a perfect incarnation of the appearance that a leader should have
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Canadian theaters have been added to the Funimation Godzilla site. And for the guy who was lamenting the lack of Calgary theaters, both Eau Claire and the far superior Landmark Country Hills are included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I forgot to mention that the menu of the bluray of The Return of Godzilla is an image of Godzilla standing among wreckage with this playing on a loop:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1aZYf48aQQ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glamorama26 posted:

I forgot to mention that the menu of the bluray of The Return of Godzilla is an image of Godzilla standing among wreckage with this playing on a loop:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G1aZYf48aQQ

Amazing. I'll watch it this weekend. Maybe after Gojira for effect.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
Finally, after thirty years, American audiences get to hear the song about a girl who wants to gently caress Godzilla (I think).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Do we know if Funimation is going to put this movie on streaming services or anytime after this one week gig? I'd like to see it but the nearest theatre is a $20 round trip.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Swiss Knight posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Canadian theaters have been added to the Funimation Godzilla site. And for the guy who was lamenting the lack of Calgary theaters, both Eau Claire and the far superior Landmark Country Hills are included.

That is way more Candian theatres than I expected.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Here's some hope for anyone impatient or living in a theatrically snubbed country.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You'd think they'd move to blu-ray screeners at some point, but frankly, those would probably just get pirated even more.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Australia gets a limited season from October 13 and tix are on sale now: https://www.godzilla.com.au

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Just got the Blu ray of Goji 84 and watching it for the first time. This is definitely a great movie and probably one of the best spiritual successors to the original in tone and seriousness. The build up is great, haven't even seen Goji yet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's a good disc.

The first three Heisei films in particular all take their time getting started. Godzilla appears about 35 minutes into 1984, there's a similar delay in Biollante despite the opening recap, and in King Ghidorah he's visible in the opening title shot, then doesn't show up for over an hour (not counting the Godzillasaur.)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Swiss Knight posted:

Yay Winnipeg!!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Godzilla '84 has the perfect grumpy face. He just does not want to talk to people until he drinks his cup of radiation.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Maxwell Lord posted:

The first three Heisei films in particular all take their time getting started. Godzilla appears about 35 minutes into 1984, there's a similar delay in Biollante despite the opening recap, and in King Ghidorah he's visible in the opening title shot, then doesn't show up for over an hour (not counting the Godzillasaur.)

I had a lot of issues with Edwardszilla, but I couldn't help but wonder if the people bitching about Godzilla hardly being in it have ever actually SEEN one of these movies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Seriously. The movie might be a little mean in a couple scenes, but I think we see more of him than we do in say, vs the Sea Monster.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

I, Butthole posted:

Australia gets a limited season from October 13 and tix are on sale now: https://www.godzilla.com.au

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyessssssssssss, my cinema gets it. No times released - do these types of releases usually have an evening showing?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ignimbrite posted:

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyessssssssssss, my cinema gets it. No times released - do these types of releases usually have an evening showing?

Village and Hoyts cinemas have session times on their websites already if your local is part of those franchises. Looks like it'll only run for a week or thereabouts so make sure you see it when you get the chance, if you wait you'll miss it!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Bimmi posted:

I had a lot of issues with Edwardszilla, but I couldn't help but wonder if the people bitching about Godzilla hardly being in it have ever actually SEEN one of these movies.

To be sure, in King Ghidorah, once Godzilla does finally show up it's pretty much a relentless Godzilla rampage with the human stuff getting less prominent, but yeah.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bimmi posted:

What REALLY gets people is what a deliberate tease Edwards is about it the whole time. He's clearly trying to get you amped then drop you back down again so when that climax really hits it likes like wham

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I think one thing is that Edwards kind of disappointed expectations by shamelessly flying in the face of the assumption that an American reboot of Godzilla, with access to such superior spfx "fire power," would be at least somewhat less subtle than the average Japanese kaiju movie.

But, no, turns out he wanted to be even more restrained than that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Robotnik Nudes posted:

What REALLY gets people is what a deliberate tease Edwards is about it the whole time. He's clearly trying to get you amped then drop you back down again so when that climax really hits it likes like wham

Well, that aspect was so clearly and clumsily manipulative I just had to roll my eyes and coast with it. And maybe the film caters less directly to the cheap-thrills crowd than the Tohos do, but Subtle it ain't. Edwards wants to be Spielberg SO badly it hurts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Godzilla's agency was closeted until the end of the movie. Edwards literally closes the door on Godzilla's rage.

"..... aaand we'll save that for later."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Much like Cloverfield, Edwards' Godzilla is about the people running around in the footsteps of the gods. It's a little more optimistic, though, in that the people aren't as powerless to stop the destruction around them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Godzilla's agency was closeted until the end of the movie. Edwards literally closes the door on Godzilla's rage.

"..... aaand we'll save that for later."

That shot isn't actually in the movie. It's edited for the trailer from two different shots.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm still not sure how neutering Godzilla is supposed to be a good thing, but damned if they didn't spend almost the entire movie doing it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Neutering Godzilla? His very landfall brings tsunamis and floods islands.. When he swims, he brushes aside the largest warships in the world as if they are rubber duckies in a child's bathtub.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Rough Lobster posted:

Neutering Godzilla? His very landfall brings tsunamis and floods islands.. When he swims, he brushes aside the largest warships in the world as if they are rubber duckies in a child's bathtub.

Ah, but does he ever quip?!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

K. Waste posted:

Ah, but does he ever quip?!

I still remember those rumors that circulated the net in like, 99-00, about a sequel to Deanzilla where they were going to have Godzilla able to talk and be sassy. Looking back, I highly doubt it was real, but I was a pretty dumb 19 year old.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Rough Lobster posted:

My point. The real G would' a sunk those bitches.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bimmi posted:

My point. The real G would' a sunk those bitches.

This Godzilla doesn't even notice their presence. Do you notice the ants at your feet when you're out and about?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It's a boring and neutral interpretation of the character. But this probably isn't the thread for going into the many reasons I disliked 2014.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is now the defacto Godzilla thread, and Shin Godzilla isn't out in the West for a couple more weeks.

What the hell is a "neutral" interpretation?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll let you suss that out for yourself, I'm done talking about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So you have no explanation. Gotcha.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
No, it's because your attitude suggests an impending dumb slapfight over a giant lizard movie and that is not going to happen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All Godzillas are beautiful. I just want to know how Godzilla 2014 is neutral.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

All Godzillas are beautiful.

#2 disagrees.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Raids Again always reminded me of

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Bimmi posted:

No, it's because your attitude suggests an impending dumb slapfight over a giant lizard movie and that is not going to happen.

Instead you're just gonna passive-aggressively bitch about how no one agrees with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
That one and the 'Son of Godzilla' suit are probably the down-right worst suits in the series, though at least the 'Raids Again' suit had the advantage of being shot in B&W.