Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
At one point it used to be totally normal for people of the same sex to shower together after sporting events or gym class or after going swimming. But by the time I was in high school, this had changed. No one showered after gym at my school and people who even changed completely (changed into new underwear) were called gay by the other kids. This rarely ever happened. Everyone knew the unwritten rule that it was absolutely forbidden to let other people see you naked. My classmates and I just put on our other clothes covered in sweat after gym. Some of the kids just wore shorts and a t-shirt under their normal clothes and then put their other clothes back on on top of them after gym. For reference, I graduated high school in 2001.

In the 1960's and before, not only did people of the same sex shower and change together but they were often forced to swim nude in school. The classes were divided by sex and often the boys, and sometimes the girls, were made to swim nude by their swim teachers. This would obviously be unthinkable today and a teacher who suggested it would probably be arrested. Did no one care back then? How did this take place?

How and why has this changed? I've heard the argument that Americans became very modest after the 1980's because homosexuality became mainstream. People of the same gender, especially students, no longer felt comfortable being nude in front of each other because of homosexuality making it feel immodest or intrusive in some way. I've also wondered if, for boys, the size of their penises has been a part of this cultural change. It seems as though people men and boys used to be less concerned with how big their penis was but now it has become an obsession. This wouldn't explain girls new found fear of nudity though.

Somewhere between 1980 and 1990, Americans truly became terrified to be nude in front of people of the same sex. What caused this cultural change?

AARO fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

americans have small pee pee

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The culture war waged by the Republicans, and the rise of Jesus freaks. Also America doesn't have a healthy sauna culture so they are vulnerable to this kind thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Have you even seen a naked average american its horrifying .

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

doverhog posted:

Also America doesn't have a healthy sauna culture so they are vulnerable to this kind thing.

I lived in Korea for 3 years and went to the Sauna a couple times. I was personally a bit weirded out by it before I went. But it was amazing because some of the Korean men had thimble sized penises and they just walked around naked without the slightest bit of shame. Seriously some of the guys had what I would consider a true micro-penis. They didn't care at all. Nobody did. This would never happen in America.

Old men would come up and shake my hand and try the two English sentences they knew. "Hello what is your name? You are Migookun man?" Nobody in Korea has the slightest shyness about being naked in front of the same sex.

AARO fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 25, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm hung over and tone deaf in general but did you make this thread to talk about your fear of small cocks?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

doverhog posted:

I'm hung over and tone deaf in general but did you make this thread to talk about your fear of small cocks?

No, I want to know why Americans are terrified to be naked in front of eachother. This is a pretty new thing to happen in American history and I think it's interesting. The fact the change coincided with LGBT rights is kind of interesting, but not entirely convincing.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The sexual revolution might have played a role in parking the idea in our minds that the human body is inherently sexual. Also, advertising does a lot to sexualise the human form as well and in a society with a great many taboos about sex, both justified and unjustified, that can make nudity very uncomfortable indeed.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

TomViolence posted:

The sexual revolution might have played a role in parking the idea in our minds that the human body is inherently sexual. Also, advertising does a lot to sexualise the human form as well and in a society with a great many taboos about sex, both justified and unjustified, that can make nudity very uncomfortable indeed.

Yet in many European countries they have nude beaches. Germany has nude public parks. These Western nations have undergone the sexual revolution of the 60's as well. They are also subject to sexualized advertising. Many countries in Europe have nude photos in their newspapers and no one bats an eye. However, they are not ashamed of nudity as Americans are. Why is this?

The sexual revolution and sexual advertising can't be the culprit for American shyness because other western nations have these things yet they are not terrified of nudity.

AARO fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 25, 2016

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AARO posted:

Yet in many European countries they have nude beaches. Germany has nude public parks. These Western nations have undergone the sexual revolution of the 60's as well. They are also subject to sexualized advertising. Many countries in Europe have nude photos in their newspapers and no one bats an eye. However, they are not ashamed of nudity as Americans are. Why is this?

Nude beaches are disgusting places. Americans know nothing of Europe.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

Nude beaches are disgusting places. Americans know nothing of Europe.

Are you trying to say "Only the uggos go to the nude beaches. Normal and good looking people in Europe don't go to nude beaches because they are also afraid of nudity."?

Is that your point?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

AARO posted:

In europe, or at least in Germany, there was popular pre-war "free body culture" that promoted nude bathing and swimming as a sort of back to nature thing for families and whatnot. In Scandinavia, saunas seved a similar function and along the mediterranean coast topless swimming and sunbathing's been a thing for a long while. In the UK, though, things have always been a lot more conservative, so maybe the obsession with modesty is more of an anglophone thing in general.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

TomViolence posted:

In europe, or at least in Germany, there was popular pre-war "free body culture" that promoted nude bathing and swimming as a sort of back to nature thing for families and whatnot. In Scandinavia, saunas seved a similar function and along the mediterranean coast topless swimming and sunbathing's been a thing for a long while. In the UK, though, things have always been a lot more conservative, so maybe the obsession with modesty is more of an anglophone thing in general.

I agree 100%. But this wasn't always an anglophone thing. In the 1960's and before skinny dipping and changing amongst the same sex was totally normal.

What I'm asking is why the change in the anglophone world? Why have Brits and Americans become puritanical and hysterical about being nude? It's really almost a pathology.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AARO posted:

Are you trying to say "Only the uggos go to the nude beaches. Normal and good looking people in Europe don't go to nude beaches because they are also afraid of nudity."?

Is that your point?

no, im saying nude beaches are weird and the people who go to them are weird as well, hence the hyperbolic disgusting. the opposite of wanting to go around naked (because its natural or whatever) and thinking society is obsessed with modesty is not being "afraid of nudity".

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Randarkman posted:

no, im saying nude beaches are weird and the people who go to them are weird as well, hence the hyperbolic disgusting. the opposite of wanting to go around naked (because its natural or whatever) and thinking society is obsessed with modesty is not being "afraid of nudity".

Where are you from?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Randarkman posted:

I was at some nude beaches in Spain this year.

Normal people. Some of them hot. Some of them not.

I got naked. It was fine.

At regular beaches about 1/3 of women go topless.

DISCLAIMER: I went with my GIRLFRIEND, who is also Spanish, so I was hardly an awkward neckbeard going to perv.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Because Americans love to eat, if they see a dick they put in their mouths instantly. Before the 1970s this was just pool house japes, but now it's considered "gay". Thanks, liberals!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

Have you even seen a naked average american its horrifying .

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's because of desegregation. White Americans can only deal with so much dark skin at once, so they can't risk multiple fully nude black people in their field of vision.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's body image, OP. People had it drilled into their heads that their bodies are wrong and imperfect or even disgusting. If you don't look like an actor, who does dieting and exercising as a job and was selected for optimal genetics, you are defective and that is shameful.

If my theory is correct, then the willingness to get naked must be correlated with hotness. Does anyone have the numbers?

e:no fat chicks, thx

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
If it is some kind of body image thing, why is it only in anglophone countries? Why hasn't the rest of the western world developed this body image hysteria?

Sociologically speaking, the "why" of this is what is the most interesting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AARO posted:

If it is some kind of body image thing, why is it only in anglophone countries? Why hasn't the rest of the western world developed this body image hysteria?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

AARO posted:

At this point we would need to have some numbers to show that there is really a cultural difference between the anglo-saxon sphere and the rest of the world. My own (German) anecdotal experience is that none of us ever showered after PE class either, nor did we ever swim naked.

On a very superficial level, Americans do seem to be somewhat more neurotic and have, on average, lower self-esteem. But maybe you are just ahead of the curve, like you are with a lot of cultural phenomenons.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

Please, tell me this is fake.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sorgrid posted:

It is. Everyone knows Russian women are the hottest.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sorgrid posted:

That depends on how you define fake. It's real in the sense that it was probably created by a white American, and it is clear evidence of their fear of darker skin.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

AARO posted:

I agree 100%. But this wasn't always an anglophone thing. In the 1960's and before skinny dipping and changing amongst the same sex was totally normal.

What I'm asking is why the change in the anglophone world? Why have Brits and Americans become puritanical and hysterical about being nude? It's really almost a pathology.

id say that brits are less hysterical about nudity than americans, if only because its a more secular country

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

op, do you think your personal experiences in high school are representative of the nation as a whole?

why do you think that "fear of nudity" is somehow new in society?

why are you relying on "things you heard" instead of trying to substantiate your claims?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

AARO posted:

In the 1960's and before, not only did people of the same sex shower and change together but they were often forced to swim nude in school. The classes were divided by sex and often the boys, and sometimes the girls, were made to swim nude by their swim teachers. This would obviously be unthinkable today and a teacher who suggested it would probably be arrested. Did no one care back then? How did this take place?

Hang on -- what? Where was this???

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
I'd have to go into the loft and excavate a bunch of old newsletters that were discussing it to get the exact details, but nude swimming lessons were a thing in my old high school (a UK single-sex boys' grammar) for a period sometime in the Fifties and Sixties. As I recall people at the time thought it was a little weird but went along with it - something like a New Ideas experiment in healthiness which they later gave up as a bit of an embarrassment and put trunks back on.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 25, 2016

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

kapparomeo posted:

I'd have to go into the loft and excavate a bunch of old newsletters that were discussing it to get the exact details, but nude swimming lessons were a thing in my old high school (a UK single-sex boys' grammar) for a period sometime in the Fifties and Sixties. As I recall people at the time thought it was a little weird but went along with it - something like a New Ideas experiment in healthiness which they later gave up as a bit of an embarrassment and put trunks back on.

I'd say that's straight from the jimmy savile type of school master that existed back then.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
According to this article, naked swimming for boys was widespread in the US from the 1920s to the sixties or so. Girls, however, were required to wear swimsuits. This suggests that in the past, naked male bodies were not necessarily sexualised, but female bodies always were.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kopijeger posted:

According to this article, naked swimming for boys was widespread in the US from the 1920s to the sixties or so. Girls, however, were required to wear swimsuits. This suggests that in the past, naked male bodies were not necessarily sexualised, but female bodies always were.

Wild. I can't even imagine that being a thing today.

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
Here's a Wisconsin school district debating this very issue in 1961.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jippa posted:

I'd say that's straight from the jimmy savile type of school master that existed back then.
Maybe that's the real answer; all male Baby Boomers in America were molested in school, and that's why America has the relationship with nudity it has today.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Its all about the messed up heteronormative Puritanical notions about basic humanity being evil.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Who the gently caress wants to see a bunch of wangs everywhere? Euopeans are a degenerate people.

E: I don't even like taking my shirt off infront of people.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 25, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Well I can't speak for anyone else, But I had at least three erections out of nowhere in hs a day. In Gym I was absolutely terrified of mystery boners. Obviously not a problem anymore.

My Puberty or: How I Learned to Love the Jimjibang.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

op, do you think your personal experiences in high school are representative of the nation as a whole?

why do you think that "fear of nudity" is somehow new in society?

why are you relying on "things you heard" instead of trying to substantiate your claims?

for whatever it's worth, i graduated high school in 2006 in USA midwest and at no point at any level of my education did anyone of either gender use a shower after PE; there was absolutely a social pressure to not. if someone were to strip nude and shower they would absolutely be shunned and everyone would be weirded out

at the university gym i go to there is absolutely a generational divide with nudity; older dudes walk to/from the showers without a towel at a much much much much higher rate than younger folks. younger guys will put the towel on their waist and take off their underwear underneath it, and the older the guy the more likely they are to just let it hang free

i don't think it's controversial to say that previous generations seem to be more comfortable with same gender nudity, the question i think OP is asking is why that is

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How does America handle changing rooms at gyms/swimming pools?

They're communal here with a few cubicles for people who aren't comfortable with it.

• Locked thread