Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"WILL WORK FOR MANGA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

LivesInGrey posted:

That would be lovely if I weren't disabled and occasionally bedridden as a result of my various illnesses.

Get paid to shitpost on the internet if you can

It's a great gig

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
So basically this kingdom is North Korea except instead of nukes they have Titans. A shitload of titans ready to rock at a moments notice. So when Eren's father got hold of the controller power, that signaled a hit squad to move in and take it to neuter the literal Titan wall defense.

The kingdom didn't really give a poo poo about it's citizens who've popped up over the years aside from the inner areas as long as they hold the power to hold back the outside world. The Outside world doesn't want to go to war since thousands of Gigantic Class Titans would be a horrible event. I guess the upcoming dilemma is whether or not they trust the outsiders and seek a truce since the actual monarchy is dead. I'm going to guess no since so many comrades are dead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LivesInGrey posted:

That would be lovely if I weren't disabled and occasionally bedridden as a result of my various illnesses.

How do you expect someone to know you are crippled on an internet forum, man

My condolences, but I couldn't have known.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LivesInGrey posted:

Have you considered helping an old lady with her computer? You get some candy that way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Save up sixty bucks, get a year long sub. Hell, you could do some odd jobs for someone and get sixty bucks in half a day's work.

yeah it s only what, 3 blowjobs if you find the right people

i guess 6 if you find the middle people, and 12 if you find the real bad people who think you're trying to save up money for drugs

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Captain Invictus posted:

How do you expect someone to know you are crippled on an internet forum, man

My condolences, but I couldn't have known.

Sorry. I'm generally not snippy about it but I've been having a lovely couple of weeks. No harm no foul.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I liked this a lot better when it was the titans being mysterious killing machines rather than the backdrop for another Common Boy Gets Superpowers story.

The horror part of being completely outmatched was a huge part of why I liked the series initially.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Faustian Bargain posted:

I liked this a lot better when it was the titans being mysterious killing machines rather than the backdrop for another Common Boy Gets Superpowers story.

The horror part of being completely outmatched was a huge part of why I liked the series initially.

That's is a comically reductive description of AoT.

I'll agree that the horror elements are notably less toothless than earlier on, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Faustian Bargain posted:

did you catch up, because it's had plenty of horror-ey bits and completely outmatched bits since then

like, the whole thing with the fight against the beast titan was a pyrrhic victory at best, and a staggering strategic loss at worst. sure they got to the basement in the end, but they lost the entire scouting legion except 9 members as well as the commander in the process, and didn't capture the beast titan nor armored titan, AND bert's dead so they can't question him either. They've got an uphill road from here even if when they return they're hailed as heroes and victorious.

Also, the accidental titan transformation of Mr. Reiss was quite horrific itself, scraping himself along the ground because he was too big to stand up and it literally scraping his face and front torso off from the friction, jesus that was creepy.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This scene from the Monkey Castle arc is the scariest scene imo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There is a lot to criticize about AoT, but once a series features a story arc about the military violently overthrowing the government, you can no longer refer to that series as a "Common Boy Gets Superpowers story."

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Honestly I don't understand the hate for Attack on Titan. So far it's been a great mystery story with lots of foreshadowing and good pacing. Can't wait for next chapter where they tie together all the loose ends, like what sunlight/moonlight has to do with titan power and what makes somebody a regular/deviant type titan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like parts of Attack on Titan but probably not the same parts as everyone else, and I'm always more interested in characterization, plot, etc. than stuff like tone (as in, how hopeless or bleak the situation is, or how lethal the story is) since I see that as less fundamental to the story itself. It's certainly fundamental to AoT's appeal but there was no way that could last forever without things turning into self-parody.

The hatedom that's formed is mostly from people who were more interested in AoT's tone and felt disappointed when it didn't keep up with their expectations.

My take on AoT is that it has a pacing problem. And of all the possible twists to land on, there was no way that going full shyamalan wasn't going to get mocked, even if it does make internal sense. When Star Ocean went full Matrix the franchise never really recovered, even though the mystery of Welch finally had a reasonable answer (she's some fourth-dimensional hacker who keeps inserting her avatar into various points in the game's internal timeline).

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My issue with Attack on Titan is that encroaching horror of seemingly insurmountable foes is good and stories about corrupt government politics are good but the way the two were blended together here, ignoring one for the sake of the other for a bit too long, was not very good.

Also I stumbled across AoT before it came stateside and Advancing Giants was a superior title which shouldn't have gone away :colbert:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Sub Harrison posted:

This scene from the Monkey Castle arc is the scariest scene imo.

CAN'T STOP THE ROCK

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I still maintain this was one of the creepier segments that sort of surprised everyone and was never brought up again

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

HoneyBoy posted:

I still maintain this was one of the creepier segments that sort of surprised everyone and was never brought up again

It's rude to talk about Connie's mom.

(Also his dad was the little titan who Sasha was supposed to be killed by but she killed him with an arrow and then regrouped with her dad)

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

There is a lot to criticize about AoT, but once a series features a story arc about the military violently overthrowing the government, you can no longer refer to that series as a "Common Boy Gets Superpowers story."
I don't really care for that at all. What drew me in was how hosed up it was with these weird naked giants running around eating people.

Xarbala posted:

...people who were more interested in AoT's tone and felt disappointed when it didn't keep up with their expectations.
Pretty much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Then I guess stop reading

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Sure you can.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

My issue with Attack on Titan is that encroaching horror of seemingly insurmountable foes is good and stories about corrupt government politics are good but the way the two were blended together here, ignoring one for the sake of the other for a bit too long, was not very good.

Also I stumbled across AoT before it came stateside and Advancing Giants was a superior title which shouldn't have gone away :colbert:

But "Attack on Titan" makes me think of Saturn Devouring His Son while "Advancing Giants" makes me think of Particle Man instead of horror themes???

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I apologise in advance for what I have just created.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tweet Me Balls posted:

But "Attack on Titan" makes me think of Saturn Devouring His Son while "Advancing Giants" makes me think of Particle Man instead of horror themes???

"Attack on Titan" sounds like a space opera, though. Also, it has the opposite meaning of "Advancing Giants." Are the Titans attacking, or are they being attacked?

Maybe it should have been "Attack of the Titans," but that sounds a bit generic.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
They could've just added a comma and made it: "Attack on, Titan" and then it sounds like some one giving a command.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
attack on, you crazy titan

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ActionZero posted:

I appreciate this

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Silver2195 posted:

"Attack on Titan" sounds like a space opera, though. Also, it has the opposite meaning of "Advancing Giants." Are the Titans attacking, or are they being attacked?

Maybe it should have been "Attack of the Titans," but that sounds a bit generic.

My favorite of the early translations was March of the Giants, because that would have been one hell of a documentary.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Attack of the Titans is a little too silver screen b-movie when Attack on Titan is clearly a more modern b-movie, except the zombies are giant this time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Tweet Me Balls posted:

This was back before the series really blew up, where the main draw was literally just "there are a bunch of incredibly deadly giants that were advancing on humanity as they huddled in their walls", so I guess it works out that that name didn't stick

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squallege posted:

I appreciate this

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Squallege posted:

I appreciate this

Caros
May 14, 2008

ActionZero posted:

:vince:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So the spoilers are out. You can find them on reddit.

I think the series is going to end up lasting longer than 3 years at this point. The whole world and story just opened up to be able to last years.

Massive spoilers obviously. Everything that has happened in the series so far has turned out to be a conflict between nations and political entities with the protagonists unknowingly stepping into the conflict. The walled city is located on an island named Paradise. There is quite a bit more but why spoil all the fun?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I think you meant that for the Claymore thread.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Xy Hapu posted:

I think you meant that for the Claymore thread.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
There's no way this whole thing doesn't end with the wall titans all waking up and trashing everything.

Not sure where you're getting 3 more years from, I feel like this chapter answers 80-90% of the mysteries, all that's left is to answer the few remaining ones like how titans were first made and what our Ymir's relation to the legend was, and then the final conflict with Zeke and the Mare or whatever they're called.

Also the biggest mystery of all, what the gently caress Eren was crying about when he woke up in the first chapter. If he had already eaten Grisha at that point then it would make perfect sense since it could easily be explained as a memory of Grisha's sister but he didn't become a titan until after the walls fell. I hope the answer isn't just ripping off MuvLuv some more.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 6, 2016

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Have they opened the basement yet? I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but I'm trying to wait until that finally happens to catch up.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

Have they opened the basement yet? I'm sure this gets asked all the time, but I'm trying to wait until that finally happens to catch up.

Yes they have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Holy poo poo.

So being "sent to heaven" is their term for turning you into a mindless titan. Pretty creepy.

Okay so we've seen

1)Royal Titan
2)Grisha Titan
3)Female
4)Armored
5)Colossal
6)Dancing
7)Monkey

I'm guessing Grisha's titan was the secretly hidden 2nd titan of the Eldians. Lots of questions obviously, like why do the Mares need Eldian children when they somehow own the titans (maybe they keep the Eldian shifters tied up like the royals did to Eren). And where do the different bloodlines stand in all this? Our warrior friends and Hanji talked way too much about the brain and central nervous system for it to be a demon power. Guess we'll have to wake up our fellow countryman Annie to solve this mystery.

I like the mention of needing to make sure the warriors are "suited" for Titan transformation. This probably explains why Reiss knew his transformation would be all hosed up.

Next step in this story? I guess Eren is off on a quest to find the other 7 dragon balls. Eat all 9 titans to undo the curse!