Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

However, if you die, then you lose half your money and you need to resurrect all your party members, which costs money, which can put you in an awkward situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Terper posted:

However, if you die, then you lose half your money and you need to resurrect all your party members, which costs money, which can put you in an awkward situation.

If you put all your money into the bank, it won't get halved when your party gets wiped.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
For all it's faults, the puns in VII are downright fantastic. I whined about the pointless repetition & running back and forth, but I did get a good chuckle out of the town that makes you go to it's present version and just run back to it's past a bunch of times in a row. Town's name? Nottagen.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 26, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the only DQ that I thought was hard to beat was VI, but maybe I was just dumb.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

There's a boss called The Time Being, and he has two cohorts to his left and right called Side Winders. He lives in dali-esque folded spacetime inside a painting of a clock.

This game is incredible.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Will turn the battle backgrounds to simple make the battles go faster or smoother? Or that's just a 3D option?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cicadas! posted:

There's a boss called The Time Being, and he has two cohorts to his left and right called Side Winders. He lives in dali-esque folded spacetime inside a painting of a clock.

This game is incredible.

That was my favorite tablet by far. I liked that the time loop element was muddled by the fact that you're playing a game and it's super common to see people repeating dialogue between "days" at the inn so it takes a while to figure out the true nature of the problem

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I do not understand the Roamers.

"Do not do this right now!"
"I wanna do this right now! Everyone needs to help, by the way."
"Okay!"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So I've finished my spreadsheet for what monsters learn at what times. Not all the english names are there yet simply because I haven't encountered them, but I'm gonna be working on it, and if people know the actual official names (Screenshots would be the best way to confirm them) then let me know!

Find it here.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Oh god, the Serial Quillers in this arena.

Also, I almost wish I was doing a Let's Play of this one. Jacqueline just finished off Cardinal Sin with a 207-point critical hit. "GET OUT OF MY HOUSE."

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Earlier I asked if there was a trick to getting monster hearts. As it turns out, there is! You have to go to the monster meadow and pick up the monster munchies. Before that point, monster hearts will not drop. Of course nothing in the game mentions this or even the existence of the meadow, you just have to stumble into it on your own.

I murdered a thousand kingfuchsias for nothing. RIP flower birds.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mountaineer posted:

Earlier I asked if there was a trick to getting monster hearts. As it turns out, there is! You have to go to the monster meadow and pick up the monster munchies. Before that point, monster hearts will not drop. Of course nothing in the game mentions this or even the existence of the meadow, you just have to stumble into it on your own.

Oh. Well that'd explain it. I got the munchies right away because I'm very methodical about my exploration. Sorry about your wasted time, man, that sucks.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

It's so dumb, I never saw the portal only because every time I walked around the tablet pedestal it was to the left side, if I'd ever walked to the right I would have seen there was a hallway leading further right. I only even learned of the existence of the monster meadow by searching online to see if anyone had the same problem I did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, that's dumb as hell. i can see why monster recruitment is enabled by picking up the munchies, but why hearts?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

In Training posted:

I think the only DQ that I thought was hard to beat was VI, but maybe I was just dumb.

I think that DQ games just have a hard part or two each game, like Dhoulmagus in 8 and the whole Alltrades Abbey dealio in 7.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm legally changing my name to Promptly-Wallop.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a limited space in the monster meadows or somethign? I just tamed a serial quiller and went back to monster meadows but it wasn't there, and the slime marker is not showing up in the Big Book but further attempts to tame/recruit more serial quillers flat out isn't working.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mountaineer posted:

I did this in the original version with serial quillers years ago. I had gotten so many levels trying to get a single heart, I couldn't get vocation levels for a good amount of time after. It was only years later that I heard that monster hearts weren't even in the drop table until you could get monster munchies and the park. I feel your pain.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

Is there a limited space in the monster meadows or somethign? I just tamed a serial quiller and went back to monster meadows but it wasn't there, and the slime marker is not showing up in the Big Book but further attempts to tame/recruit more serial quillers flat out isn't working.

I don't know what happened but saving and restarting the game put the serial quiller into the monster meadow. Maybe theres an actual time delay between when you tame them and when they show up in the meadow?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

In Training posted:

I don't know what happened but saving and restarting the game put the serial quiller into the monster meadow. Maybe theres an actual time delay between when you tame them and when they show up in the meadow?

You have to talk to the old man before the new monsters are "tallied up" so to speak. I would say maybe you'd be missing an Enclosure, but that clearly wasn't the case.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
DQVII: Is it possible to win the mandatory fight at Alltrades Abbey without being severely overleveled?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Just had a go at some 750-token Lucky Panels. Walked away with a couple Prism Peacock hearts which is... yeah, that's pretty cool. I'll throw that onto Mervyn. Not too much in other unique prizes though; I almost had a Hela's hammer but I had a total brain fart and screwed myself.

Did get a Happy Hat from the 100-token panels I did to get the money to afford these 750-token panels though. Maribel will greatly enjoy that. Just trying to get a little more powerful because I'm confused as to how to get into what I assume is the final dungeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a couple unwinnable fights in that sequence, but i don't remember the priest being anything special.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://nukesaq88.github.io/dq7_luckey_panel/LuckyPanel_win.zip

never play lucky panel legitimately

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there any dark sorcery that could get that on a phone? :v:

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Cicadas! posted:

This game is incredible.

you forgot to mention the name of the painting dungeon: The Time Frame

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

DQVII: Is it possible to win the mandatory fight at Alltrades Abbey without being severely overleveled?

In the original you could if you cheated in enough levels or seeds or I guess if you actually did grind like crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it for the remakes where thanks to streetpass and tablets you could technically be 99 with tons of seeds without cheating.

The rewards for winning were 1 exp, 1 gold and no change in plot.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
As I recall those bosses had around 30k HP in the original. So it's not really something worth pursuing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

What does this even do, just a personal notepad sort of thing? I've already been doing that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

What does this even do, just a personal notepad sort of thing? I've already been doing that.

Yeah, does this do anything an Excel spreadsheet wouldn't?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, it is just easier. if you want to type the contents of each square that's fine too.

i'll take any way to speed up my lucky square grinding, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope people grinding for Monster Hearts picked up the Monster Munchies first from the Meadow

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Please tell me there's a postgame way to get the dorky fire festival hats on your guys full-time :allears:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I beat the game, final boss was fun but why does any game still use close the game to stop the game end screen.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harlock posted:

I hope people grinding for Monster Hearts picked up the Monster Munchies first from the Meadow

I felt really bad for that dude grinding for kingfuchsias, got a heart in my first battle with one after grabbing the munchies

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Builders demo is out in the PAL territories.

It's weird seeing this kind of game made with an actual budget and experienced team. Great, but weird.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please please please tell me you can keep the animal costumes

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK the Staff of Salvation is pretty broken.

An unlimited source of free Midheals.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Has a monster class guide yet been made that uses the new localization names? Everything I see uses the old PSX names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
In DQ5 news: I ran into 8 Metal Slime fights in the 2nd trip to Whealbrook Cave :psyduck:

Also, I'm glad I can finally play the PS2 version of the game in English with the fan translation, but I miss the quirkiness of the official translations.