Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Yeah replace the relay and sensor, they're very cheap parts that can cause very expensive problems.

Would that be the coolant temp sensor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

PaintVagrant posted:

Battery is prob on its way out, get a multimeter or have autozone check it. Modern car electronics do weird poo poo when the battery is going. See: all BMWs

I checked the battery with a multimeter both at the hood terminals and on the actual battery in the trunk, but it voltage seems fine. Sat about 12.6v off. Also didn't drop below 11v when starting the car.

Christobevii3 posted:

Get an odd ii reader for your phone and buy the torque app. You can see the fuel pressure at pump and rail. Also, Hyundai's are picky about plugs. Pull your spark plugs and inspect

I've been meaning to do this for years and I have never gotten around to it. I'll have to pull a plug and a see if it looks worn out at all, I hadn't really considered it since it's not really a rough idle (just higher rpm) and there is no misfire when driving while its "effected" - stupid cars. I have however noticed that my average MPG seems to have dropped considerably in the last few weeks. I used to sit around 21mpg and since my last fill up last Friday I am averaging 13.6mpg

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Anyone got any good ideas on how to get baked on magnet off of a bonnet?

My friend recently removed his magnetic learner mark (:japan:) only to find that this year's unusually hot summer had pretty much baked it on. I managed to pick most of it off with the help of some detergent but there's still a fairly large patch that just won't move using paint safe tools (read: my fingernails :v:) For reference, it's about half a millimeter or so thick like a fridge magnet. I also tried regular strength sticker remover but it didn't really do anything.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

My friend recently removed his magnetic learner mark (:japan:) only to find that this year's unusually hot summer had pretty much baked it on. I managed to pick most of it off with the help of some detergent but there's still a fairly large patch that just won't move using paint safe tools (read: my fingernails :v:) For reference, it's about half a millimeter or so thick like a fridge magnet. I also tried regular strength sticker remover but it didn't really do anything.

Can you pry it up with a razor blade? If you're careful, you should be able to do that without damaging the paint.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Would that be the coolant temp sensor?

Usually called a cooling fan switch, or radiator fan switch.

The coolant temp sensor is what tells your car how hot the coolant is and is usually in the block. The Radiator fan switch closes as the temp rises to the right temp and the fan goes on.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

tater_salad posted:

The coolant temp sensor is what tells your car how hot the coolant is and is usually in the block. The Radiator fan switch closes as the temp rises to the right temp and the fan goes on.

In a lot of modern-ish cars the ECU controls the fan based on the coolant temp - there's no separate switch. Not sure how TB's Caravan does it but it's probably new enough that the ECU handles it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone heard of a goon owning an Elise/Exige?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Anyone heard of a goon owning an Elise/Exige?

There's been at least two that I can think of.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

They make plastic razor blades that are perfect at removing stuff like this and the don't really scratch or scuff.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are eight gen (2008) Honda Civic 5-speed automatic transmissions bad? Or is that relegated to the days of yore in the Civic? Honda's Widespread Transmission Failure shows the kind of "collective memory" people will have about Honda automatics (not to mention the 90's) but it looks like that was the previous model year. Did Honda learn from their mistakes and use a better transmission in the Civic starting in 2005?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

They make plastic razor blades that are perfect at removing stuff like this and the don't really scratch or scuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Peeler-Label-Sticker-Removers/dp/B0068QIQVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474937434&sr=8-1&keywords=scotty+peeler

Use the plastic ones for your car. Use the metal one as a general purpose paring knife and/or a 3D print cleanup tool.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's been at least two that I can think of.

Do you recall names? I would love to hear about their experiences. A full search of the forums turns up relatively little about the practical ownership of one. In particular I'm curious what the aluminum construction means for long term maintenance and the viability of owning one long term.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Have you tried a powerful magnet?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

RillAkBea posted:

Heat gun or hair dryer to soften it up?

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
The Torque app doesn't appear to be available in the Apple store. Is it Android only?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

The Torque app doesn't appear to be available in the Apple store. Is it Android only?

I used Auto Doctor on my iPad to communicate with the wifi OBDII scanner I bought. The free version works well enough for basic operations. Can't remember if it shows fuel pressure but it can't hurt to try.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Engine Link seems to be a well-regarded IOS equivalent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Also, the Bluetooth OBD2 adapters generally don't play nice with iOS devices; you'll probably need a wifi adapter.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Salt Fish posted:

Do you recall names? I would love to hear about their experiences. A full search of the forums turns up relatively little about the practical ownership of one. In particular I'm curious what the aluminum construction means for long term maintenance and the viability of owning one long term.

I know my boss bitches about having to take the bodywork off to do things like a fan change.

Can't say that an aluminium chassis would worry me unduly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

From what I recall, due to the construction, any damage to the rear clamshell will make it a write off since its :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux: to fix. Aside from that, I've only seen them a couple times in the wild and dream of one day owning one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Salt Fish posted:

Revelations had one, Kwinkles still does I think. Are there others?

e: Kwinkles is now C.H.O.M.E. and I don't think I've seen him outside of yospos

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RillAkBea posted:

WD-40 and a very thin plastic or nylon paint scraper/fiberglass resin tool. In a pinch you can use one of those plastic cutting board mats.

Something like this might work, you might want to get something thinner.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Putty-Knife-Set-DS-3PKL/202038680

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Revelations had one, Kwinkles still does I think. Are there others?

e: Kwinkles is now C.H.O.M.E. and I don't think I've seen him outside of yospos

I was thinking of Pr0kjayhawk (who had a modded one) and I think someone else (can't remember who) had a largely stock one and a code brown incident involving a broken suspension link.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

thebushcommander posted:

I checked the battery with a multimeter both at the hood terminals and on the actual battery in the trunk, but it voltage seems fine. Sat about 12.6v off. Also didn't drop below 11v when starting the car.

I've been meaning to do this for years and I have never gotten around to it. I'll have to pull a plug and a see if it looks worn out at all, I hadn't really considered it since it's not really a rough idle (just higher rpm) and there is no misfire when driving while its "effected" - stupid cars. I have however noticed that my average MPG seems to have dropped considerably in the last few weeks. I used to sit around 21mpg and since my last fill up last Friday I am averaging 13.6mpg

Update on my issue. Pulled the codes and it turns out it is the Cam Shaft positioning sensor - common symptoms of a bad/loose one are pretty spot on with the issues I am having. $30 dollar part so I got a new one, now I just need to figure out where it is/ how to get to it easily to replace.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I bought a new 2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Touring package earlier this year and with winter coming up I plan to buy steel rims and winter tires so I can change them myself going forward and save $140/yr, the base model Impreza came with 15" whereas my Touring came with 16". I confirmed I can use either 15" or 16" rims & tires, is there any reason I should stick with the more expensive 16" tires during the winter or should I opt for cheaper 15"?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
As long as the overall diameter is the same, and the 15s will fit over your brakes without rubbing, go for it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Thanks for all the magnet advice guys.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Can you pry it up with a razor blade? If you're careful, you should be able to do that without damaging the paint.

SouthsideSaint posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

WD-40 and a very thin plastic or nylon paint scraper/fiberglass resin tool. In a pinch you can use one of those plastic cutting board mats.

Something like this might work, you might want to get something thinner.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Putty-Knife-Set-DS-3PKL/202038680

Miraculously a local auto store actually had some bonafide plastic razors in their old stock section, wasn't aware that they existed so thanks for the heads up. If it doesn't manage to shift it, I guess I'll have to try the metal kind.

Tunicate posted:

Have you tried a powerful magnet?

Unfortunately I do not own any powerful magnets to try it.

StormDrain posted:

Heat gun or hair dryer to soften it up?
Good idea, but we both live in apartments with no external power outlets. :( No outside faucets either, the monsters!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

whatupdet posted:

I bought a new 2016 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Touring package earlier this year and with winter coming up I plan to buy steel rims and winter tires so I can change them myself going forward and save $140/yr, the base model Impreza came with 15" whereas my Touring came with 16". I confirmed I can use either 15" or 16" rims & tires, is there any reason I should stick with the more expensive 16" tires during the winter or should I opt for cheaper 15"?

Use willtheyfit.com to quickly figure out matching diameter etc.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tater_salad posted:

Finally got a chance to get into the van.

I started looking from down below, couldn't see anything relevant to the radiator, but I did find this loose connector dangling. Looked like it had been unplugged for a long time, and I couldn't find anything within its reach that it would plug into. What the hell?

Anyway, I removed the air box and the intake and there was my relay, easy peasy. I've pulled it out and replaced it. The instructions that came with the relay recommend also replacing the oem harness, is that necessary?

My third question is, is it advisable to start the van and see if it is working correctly without reassembling the whole intake? As long as I make sure the area around the intake hose is clear?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

tactlessbastard posted:

Finally got a chance to get into the van.

I started looking from down below, couldn't see anything relevant to the radiator, but I did find this loose connector dangling. Looked like it had been unplugged for a long time, and I couldn't find anything within its reach that it would plug into. What the hell?

Anyway, I removed the air box and the intake and there was my relay, easy peasy. I've pulled it out and replaced it. The instructions that came with the relay recommend also replacing the oem harness, is that necessary?

My third question is, is it advisable to start the van and see if it is working correctly without reassembling the whole intake? As long as I make sure the area around the intake hose is clear?

Can you reattach the intake without bolting it down? Just let it flop there?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Can you reattach the intake without bolting it down? Just let it flop there?

Not directly, but I could get the filter unit attached to it. Thanks!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What material are these modern wheel well fender liners made of? Its like some fiberous material, presumably to block sound.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Has anybody got a good tyre size calculator?

edit: or can straight out answer for me;
fronts are currently 215/35/r17, rears are 235/40/r18. assuming new wheels are same width and offset just an inch smaller (r17), what is my new tyre size

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 29, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SquirrelGrip posted:

Has anybody got a good tyre size calculator?

edit: or can straight out answer for me;
fronts are currently 215/35/r17, rears are 235/40/r18. assuming new wheels are same width and offset just an inch smaller (r17), what is my new tyre size

this is a nice one that has a built-in "convert to different wheel size" button. Looks ilke 235/45/17 will be your best bet.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I have a bit of a strange request. If anyone has a gen 2 or a gen 3 Prius with a tonneau cover (that pull out cargo cover in the rear hatch), can you measure the cover and post the overall length of the bar the cover stores in? My friend just bought a gen 2 Prius that came with no cover, and an eBay cover to match. However, the cover she received doesn't seem to fit (like, at all; it's several inches too long to fit in its pocket) so we're thinking it is probably from a gen 3 Prius. The seller is being a butt, though, and is insisting it's correct. So I'd like to have an actual factual measurement I can compare this one against.

I don't know anyone else irl with a Prius, or this would be an open-and-shut case. I can't seem to find any measurements online, either.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Raluek posted:

I have a bit of a strange request. If anyone has a gen 2 or a gen 3 Prius with a tonneau cover (that pull out cargo cover in the rear hatch), can you measure the cover and post the overall length of the bar the cover stores in? My friend just bought a gen 2 Prius that came with no cover, and an eBay cover to match. However, the cover she received doesn't seem to fit (like, at all; it's several inches too long to fit in its pocket) so we're thinking it is probably from a gen 3 Prius. The seller is being a butt, though, and is insisting it's correct. So I'd like to have an actual factual measurement I can compare this one against.

I don't know anyone else irl with a Prius, or this would be an open-and-shut case. I can't seem to find any measurements online, either.

Did you remove the left side deck board? https://youtu.be/B93PlDb8Y6o

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Replacing the mufflers and rear tail pipes on my 73 Cutlass Supreme. The pipes from the headers to the mufflers are two and a half inches but the tail pipes are going to be two and a quarter. My question is should I use two and a half inch Mufflers or two and a quarter inch mufflers?

I'm going to have to put a reducer on there someplace my question is should it be before or after the muffler?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Finally got the new relay in this morning. Everything works perfect. Thanks for the assist, gentlemen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SimonCat posted:

Replacing the mufflers and rear tail pipes on my 73 Cutlass Supreme. The pipes from the headers to the mufflers are two and a half inches but the tail pipes are going to be two and a quarter. My question is should I use two and a half inch Mufflers or two and a quarter inch mufflers?

I'm going to have to put a reducer on there someplace my question is should it be before or after the muffler?

Why not get a muffler with a 2.5" inlet and 2.25" outlet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

StormDrain posted:

Why not get a muffler with a 2.5" inlet and 2.25" outlet?

Glasspacks don't come with different inlet and out let sizes. And most exhaust shops top out at 2.25" pipes.