Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

AltaBrown posted:

This boss battle exemplifies why I gave up on the Star Ocean games: the battles become tedious grinds that are in no way made up for by the lackluster plots and idiotic protags.

But really it was the MMO twist/reveal of 3 that killed it for me. gently caress that lazy-rear end writing.

There are a lot of things you could call the MMO twist but lazy? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

wateyad posted:

the mmo twist is the kind of stupid that required real effort to achieve

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

wateyad posted:

cock hero flux posted:

the mmo twist is the kind of stupid that required real effort to achieve

Okay, I'll give points for that, but as far as I know, there have been no other hints in any other SO games that they take place in another dimension's MMO. There is no build up whatsoever to this grand reveal - it is just dropped like a hot, steaming turd onto the player, and for me, the cold water backsplash of the reveal made me scream in rage.

Not really hyperbolizing, either.

That's why it's lazy. It's a bunch of writers sitting around a table wondering what sort of twist they can haul out to justify an otherwise rote rpg. No effort went into it; there's no Checkov's gun; no lampshading; nothing. Just hey guys, you're all lovely npc's in a game for another reality's neckbeards!

So yeah, that's my opinion.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read the SO3 LP out of curiosity, wanting the terribleness for myself. I feel like with a great writing staff you could have fit everything up to the big reveal in ~5-10 hours, spend the rest of the game focusing on fallout from what happened at the game's climax, and had a really interesting game. Instead they go out of their way to avoid any large implications from the plot twist and just used it to set up the final battles. I could go into a lot more depth about this, but it would be so incredibly spoiler heavy it really is the wrong thread. It does upset me how great of an opportunity they blew.

I did save one screenshot from that LP that really stuck out. Noone ever touching the subject again really shows how much the writers didn't want to deal with the ramifications of the world they created, and :elon musk:. Or it's a very poor attempt at lampshading -- but given the context and the skill of the writers I don't think it is. Super spoilery screenshot.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chuu posted:

I read the SO3 LP out of curiosity, wanting the terribleness for myself. I feel like with a great writing staff you could have fit everything up to the big reveal in ~5-10 hours, spend the rest of the game focusing on fallout from what happened at the game's climax, and had a really interesting game. Instead they go out of their way to avoid any large implications from the plot twist and just used it to set up the final battles. I could go into a lot more depth about this, but it would be so incredibly spoiler heavy it really is the wrong thread. It does upset me how great of an opportunity they blew.

No, they couldn't have. The twist isn't just stupid for the sake of its own game, it retroactively shits on the entire series. There's no polishing that turd.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they couldn't have. The twist isn't just stupid for the sake of its own game, it retroactively shits on the entire series. There's no polishing that turd.

This. This this this this this. And every game after has to live with the knowledge of that lovely twist, thereby invalidating them, too.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I like the bit where the bad lizards attack the other lizards, causing them to mutate into more bad lizards... that are already holding brand new swords and shields. This bad space junk is terrifying, it can turn people into rocks and shellfish, and it can turn sci-fi lizard people into preindustrial lizard people. I hope the galaxy will be okay.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

AltaBrown posted:

This. This this this this this. And every game after has to live with the knowledge of that lovely twist, thereby invalidating them, too.

:effort: is all I say to these games.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 24, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No it's so bad that all media everywhere is now tainted with the shittiness of the MMO twist!

(you guys are getting stupid)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Star Ocean 3 caused litrpgs.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
That sounds like it would be profound if you were really high when you played it. Maybe Tri Ace was on something when they made the game?

:350: "Like, dude... whats the REAL difference between me and like, a.... computer or something? I mean, we both think, right?"

:2bong: "Dude..."

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
I'm not entirely convinced that the entire Star Ocean series isn't some kind of joke that's delivered either so straight faced or just so badly that everyone misses it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So with this twist, these guys are really just invading these monsters' home (who don't seem to be hurting anyone) and killing them all. That's more in line with what I'd expect from a crew who's surveying a planet with plans to colonate it, at least.

Iolite
May 9, 2009
After playing SO3, you have to live with the knowledge that the entire Star Ocean series is just video games. They were always video games.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

wateyad posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that the entire Star Ocean series isn't some kind of joke that's delivered either so straight faced or just so badly that everyone misses it.

Given that the first game has you start as a typical JRPG hero with a typical quest, but you fail and it and then a Star Trek away team saves your rear end, and then you go into an entirely different plot, I continue to subscribe to 'straight-faced joke'. The other games demonstrate it better, but that's where it started from. Basically any plot beat makes more sense when viewed through this lens, as do a lot of weird little details. Remember in 3 where the fleet find the giant energy beams and instead of going "it's off the scale!", it's something absurdly low? "That's magnitude 3!" I think they went with.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Video games are art."
- Sam Raimi

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chuu posted:

I did save one screenshot from that LP that really stuck out. Noone ever touching the subject again really shows how much the writers didn't want to deal with the ramifications of the world they created, and :elon musk:. Or it's a very poor attempt at lampshading -- but given the context and the skill of the writers I don't think it is. Super spoilery screenshot.
The fact that, upon discovering that they're in a video game, they can just leave and go gently caress around in the real world at all is the bit that really makes no sense. They just kind of appear in the real world and have physical bodies and stuff despite the fact that they're clouds of 1s and 0s.

Like once you accept the fact that the NPCs in a video game are capable of just leaving with no apparent difficulties the fact that they can also still use their video game powers shouldn't be that hard to swallow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cock hero flux posted:

The fact that, upon discovering that they're in a video game, they can just leave and go gently caress around in the real world at all is the bit that really makes no sense. They just kind of appear in the real world and have physical bodies and stuff despite the fact that they're clouds of 1s and 0s.

Like once you accept the fact that the NPCs in a video game are capable of just leaving with no apparent difficulties the fact that they can also still use their video game powers shouldn't be that hard to swallow.

As stupid as it is, they do actually explain that it's because Maria's special lab-coded Symbology ability was Alteration, turning them real enough to enter 4D space.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
And SO4 is the one they decided to make non-canon.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Haha. Is SO4 really no longer canon? Oh boy that makes this poo poo show even better.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Man,

cock hero flux posted:

I know it's an way out of left field twist and poo poo but you guys never read Flatland as a kid? If you take a square and take it off its little world of paper, it's still a square even though everything else around it now has depth. The difference between the 4th dimension and the 3rd dimension was so poorly defined (you could say it didn't even exist at all in the writer's heads if you're feeling cynical) that not seeing a difference is about all you can expect.

...Reading this back to myself, I recognize that the problem is if you're not allowing for the same suspension of disbelief I had with imagining animate squares and other polygons as a kid, you probably want an explanation better than 'it's magic, i don't gotta explain poo poo'.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What is the 4th Dimension in this series even supposed to be? Is it something like Flatland, where they just exist in another physical dimension the 3D cannot even see? Is it some kind of Space and Time intersect here kind of BS?

I haven't taken Physics since high school, but a quick Google skimming seems to suggest people break up 4D into Flatland or Dr Who.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
As if these hacks know what a dimension really is. As far as they know or care "fourth dimension" probably just means "alternate universe", right?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

What is the 4th Dimension in this series even supposed to be? Is it something like Flatland, where they just exist in another physical dimension the 3D cannot even see?

I presume that was the intent; it's a place that contains the "3D" realm, but is not observable from it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wet, Sam Raimi, 555 and Limb were too weak to defeat the angel, RIP and goodnight

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This is probably where I stopped playing. I thought it was in the tower but then I recognized the ship.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the stupid reason the village gives for letting a small child go off into space with a bunch of weirdos. Maybe they all end up with cement shoes and die

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 21: I'll Just Run Around in Circles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNMy1cFkLQ4

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That skip cutscene screen is genius. What the hell is it doing here?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What an amazing bossfight.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
That seems like it would be a lot easier for a melee character. Unlike the AI, wateyad knows not to just run right into it when it does the attack that leaves it vulnerable.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

That seems like it would be a lot easier for a melee character. Unlike the AI, wateyad knows not to just run right into it when it does the attack that leaves it vulnerable.

The main benefit of switching to a melee character is your special attack goes off faster than any of the ranged ones, this is important because the boss will only take a few hits while vulnerable and if anyone else is active they will likely smack it with the weakest attack they have before you get the chance. The best tactic here is to either kill (as demonstrated) or set to manual everyone else so that never happens.

The other thing is he doesn't attack if you're too far away, so you need to run away less.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Congrats to Wet Maverick for killing half the planet.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Don't you just hate it when your pickup group keeps standing in the fire and you have to solo the rest of the boss fight?

Good thing there are no enrage timers in this game.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I youtube'd the fight because I was curious if others had this much trouble. I found a video that took the fight on at around the party's level -- basically controlling Edge who dances in and out of melee -- but the AI characters seem a lot less suicidal. Is that what the BEAT system controls? The :downs: solution is to grind to level 25 or so where your def is high enough you can just stand in the fire and have enough defense to survive.

I'm also guessing Edge is supposed to be wearing that ~25% fire resistance armor that we found.

I can't wait to find out what retarded plot twist we get that forces the ending to be non-cannon. So far it's pretty standard JRPG fare, and SO3 sets a really high bar.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 27, 2016

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chuu posted:

I can't wait to find out what retarded plot twist we get that forces the ending to be non-cannon. So far it's pretty standard JRPG fare, and SO3 sets a really high bar.

There is none, unless that happens in SO5 or something. The thing that was declared non-canon was the twist in SO3 that everything is JUST a simulation. SO4 should still be entirely canon.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I thought of Billy Preston before Wham!

Got a boss fight, ain't got no variety
Let the bad guy win every once in a while

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
SamReimi has once again proven to be the best character by defeating the boss all by herself.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Chuu posted:

I youtube'd the fight because I was curious if others had this much trouble. I found a video that took the fight on at around the party's level -- basically controlling Edge who dances in and out of melee -- but the AI characters seem a lot less suicidal. Is that what the BEAT system controls? The :downs: solution is to grind to level 25 or so where your def is high enough you can just stand in the fire and have enough defense to survive.

I'm also guessing Edge is supposed to be wearing that ~25% fire resistance armor that we found.

The BEAT system is just stats. The video you watched the person would have likely set the tactics for the other characters to not be 'all out attack' and to something more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

The BEAT system is just stats. The video you watched the person would have likely set the tactics for the other characters to not be 'all out attack' and to something more useful.
If there's a "don't stand in the fire" setting, why isn't that the default?

• Locked thread