Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

No all the playable characters got secretly doped up with the F virus that just makes you immune to mutation and nearly invincible. They wanted to "collect combat data", you see.

Just don't let zombies eat too much of you at once. *Eats a fistfull of weed*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think lorewise 10% of the population is immune to the virus, our friends just happened to be part of this 10%.

Or they just did it without getting hit, its kinda like how in Dead Rising the player getting hit or dressing like a monkey is non canon.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Frank West getting infected is totally part of the canon, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I think lorewise 10% of the population is immune to the virus, our friends just happened to be part of this 10%.

Or they just did it without getting hit, its kinda like how in Dead Rising the player getting hit or dressing like a monkey is non canon.

I think the canonical answer is that they never get hit unless it is in a cutscene. (Which is why Jill gets infected.) Though Jill is I think ironically now basically immune to fuckin' everything thanks to Wesker.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Alteisen posted:

Yeah, Wesker's Report II mentions that 10% of the general human population is just flat-out immune to the T-Virus due to a genetic lucky streak.

In canon terms, the T-Virus doesn't have much in the way of rules and runs entirely on narrative convenience, so everything about it differs wildly from case to case. You might as well just say that it doesn't suit the story for the protagonists to randomly catch it and die, so they don't, except when they do.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, Wesker's Report II mentions that 10% of the general human population is just flat-out immune to the T-Virus due to a genetic lucky streak.

In canon terms, the T-Virus doesn't have much in the way of rules and runs entirely on narrative convenience, so everything about it differs wildly from case to case. You might as well just say that it doesn't suit the story for the protagonists to randomly catch it and die, so they don't, except when they do.

The T-virus was originally created by Hideo Kojima.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Chris from RE5 is actually a body double with massive biceps

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I think the canonical answer is that they never get hit unless it is in a cutscene. (Which is why Jill gets infected.) Though Jill is I think ironically now basically immune to fuckin' everything thanks to Wesker.

Don't forget she went for a swim in the T- Abyss as well. :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Jill has immunities to the T-Virus (due to Carlos' vaccine), T-Abyss and now pretty much everything else thanks to RE5. Pretty soon she'd be able to match Alice from the movies in overpoweredness. But generally, the protagonists are immune to the various viruses in the game series or somehow only get stronger from them.

I also bet Ethan if he returns for Resident Evil 8, will be suplexing invincible cannibal hicks and saying silly one liners and the game will basically be the video game equivalent of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 if Resident Evil 7 is the game equivalent of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey if RE7 turns out that be the equivalent of one of the most unsettling horror films ever made I'm on board. I watched some of a CV speed run today and kinda recall it being the toughest of the old ones.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think CV was really any tougher, it was just longer and easier to run out of ammo or healing if you weren't being careful.
It did have a few terrible bits like smashing the crystal thing to get the card, I always loving die as least once doing that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Chris' campaign in RE6. That uh, took a turn at the end there. It straight up became BioShock with Chris and Piers running around the halls of Rapture, Piers injecting the Electro Bolt Plasmid into himself and mutating, and then it played one of the endings from Ever17 for some reason.

RE6 is bonkers.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 27, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would say Leon's is even more insane at the end but it's a tough call. Felt like about three hours from the end bosses first form to actually beating it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Raxivace posted:

I finished Chris' campaign in RE6. That uh, took a turn at the end there. It straight up became BioShock with Chris and Piers running around the halls of Rapture, Piers injecting the Electro Bolt Plasmid into himself and mutating, and then it played one of the endings from Ever17 for some reason.

RE6 is bonkers.

What's even more bonkers is that Chris was originally suppose to die instead of Piers.

Edit:Our lord and savior, Christ Redfield

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 27, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What's even more bonkers is that Christ was originally suppose to die instead of Piers.

christ did die, though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah but they retconned it pretty fast

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can't kill a man who can punch a boulder to pieces

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Raxivace posted:

RE6 is bonkers.

I love RE6 because it's just peak B-movie bullshit and I think that's where Resident Evil is at its best. Leon and Helena fighting her giant, mutated spider-sister in an ancient native american mega-ruin underneath some flyover state, then immediately crashing a plane into china is a high-water mark for me as well. RE7 doesn't really tickle me because it just looks like it takes itself too seriously. The final product could surprise me, so who knows.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno, some of the Baker family stuff in the trailers seems like it's meant to be played for laughs, and the demo had Pete and Andre going back and forth. What really bothers me though is that none of the POV characters we've seen so far have like anything resembling a personality (Not that Chris or Jill in RE1 were super complex characters but still). Does Clancy even say anything other than "AAAGGGHHHHHHHH"?

But yeah I like the ridiculous excess of RE6- I'm curious to see how Ada's campaign matches up now. Whatever RE7 does end up being, I hope I enjoy it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 27, 2016

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Levantine posted:

I love RE6 because it's just peak B-movie bullshit and I think that's where Resident Evil is at its best. Leon and Helena fighting her giant, mutated spider-sister in an ancient native american mega-ruin underneath some flyover state, then immediately crashing a plane into china is a high-water mark for me as well. RE7 doesn't really tickle me because it just looks like it takes itself too seriously. The final product could surprise me, so who knows.
This is my main concern too, since they have a new guy writing the game, who's american I guess? Hopefully he manages to nail the feeling of a stupid B-movie viewed through the lens of a crazy japanese man, but we haven't really seen anything hinting towards that. They most likely want this one to be more serious to fit in with the spookier atmosphere this time around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
first and foremost, i want more silliness played completely straight and the ability to use wrestling moves on monsters. i may not get either of those things, unfortunately.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raxivace posted:

I dunno, some of the Baker family stuff in the trailers seems like it's meant to be played for laughs, and the demo had Pete and Andre going back and forth. What really bothers me though is that none of the POV characters we've seen so far have like anything resembling a personality (Not that Chris or Jill in RE1 were super complex characters but still). Does Clancy even say anything other than "AAAGGGHHHHHHHH"?

But yeah I like the ridiculous excess of RE6- I'm curious to see how Ada's campaign matches up now. Whatever RE7 does end up being, I hope I enjoy it.

Ada's campaign starts off with easily the most frustrating segment of the game for me

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think CV was really any tougher, it was just longer and easier to run out of ammo or healing if you weren't being careful.
It did have a few terrible bits like smashing the crystal thing to get the card, I always loving die as least once doing that.

Re:Cv is actually one of the easier Resident Evil games due to the overpoweredness of the knife. Just use it for the beginning of the game and by the time you get to the military training facility, you will probably be swimming with ammunition. Adding to that, if you know when to put up your guns as Claire (I think its right before you use the crank), Chris will have a mountain of ammunition since I he still gets his own set

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah CV was the only game where I could do the knife only bonus mode because it was so overpowered.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Levantine posted:

eh, from everything we've seen so far i wouldnt say re7 takes itself too seriously. it's just the main characters now have a sense of fear. the family still look like peak resident evil b-movie shenanigans. probably no crashing planes into china but that's okay.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

eh, from everything we've seen so far i wouldnt say re7 takes itself too seriously. it's just the main characters now have a sense of fear. the family still look like peak resident evil b-movie shenanigans. probably no crashing planes into china but that's okay.

Yeah, it's just going to end up being a personal taste thing. I don't go in for the hillbilly horror stuff so it's just not for me. It may be a good game though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Beat Claire B! Once again I find myself indebted to savestates, because whose genius idea was it to put the final boss (well technically not the final boss but that train guy hardly counts) a two-minute walk and some inventory management away from the nearest save? And it's not an easy boss either.

Is it me, or do all of Claire's weapons kinda suck compared to Leon's (I'm assuming the weapons are tied to characters and not scenarios)? He gets the good ol' one-two punch of shotgun and magnum for crowd control and single target DPS, not to mention upgrades to both which render them horrendously OP, and what does Claire have? The bazooka is powerful, but short ranged, slow, and only hits multiple targets when it feels like doing so. The handgun is just a worse version of Leon's. The crossbow? Ohh boy, three shots in one and good luck hitting two of them. I mean none of them are terrible, but compared to the upgraded shotgun... I'm glad I left the machine gun for her.

Do unlocks cross scenarios in RE2? I'd kinda like to jump into Claire A/Leon B, but I really want to strut my new fancy costumes while doing so.

E: Oh yeah, and by the way, Ada totally also survives in the Claire B scenario since she arrives to drop you the rocket launcher. Nothing can kill this woman.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Beat Claire B! Once again I find myself indebted to savestates, because whose genius idea was it to put the final boss (well technically not the final boss but that train guy hardly counts) a two-minute walk and some inventory management away from the nearest save? And it's not an easy boss either.

Is it me, or do all of Claire's weapons kinda suck compared to Leon's (I'm assuming the weapons are tied to characters and not scenarios)? He gets the good ol' one-two punch of shotgun and magnum for crowd control and single target DPS, not to mention upgrades to both which render them horrendously OP, and what does Claire have? The bazooka is powerful, but short ranged, slow, and only hits multiple targets when it feels like doing so. The handgun is just a worse version of Leon's. The crossbow? Ohh boy, three shots in one and good luck hitting two of them. I mean none of them are terrible, but compared to the upgraded shotgun... I'm glad I left the machine gun for her.

Do unlocks cross scenarios in RE2? I'd kinda like to jump into Claire A/Leon B, but I really want to strut my new fancy costumes while doing so.

E: Oh yeah, and by the way, Ada totally also survives in the Claire B scenario since she arrives to drop you the rocket launcher. Nothing can kill this woman.

Claire's gameplay is kind of built around the grenade launcher. The only other weapon I ever remember using with her is the Spark Shot

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I actually prefer Claire's weaponset over Leon's by quite a bit. Leon does have an objectively easier set to handle with very obvious purposes for each weapon, but the relative safety of such a clear-cut and conventional arsenal is just so much less exciting to use compared to Claire's collection of wonderful toys. Besides, who doesn't like pinning crows to the wall with 8-inch bolts, or making a pack of dogs disintegrate with a cluster of high-explosives?

Amppelix posted:

Do unlocks cross scenarios in RE2? I'd kinda like to jump into Claire A/Leon B, but I really want to strut my new fancy costumes while doing so
Yes, and no. Assuming you're playing the PlayStation version, stuff you unlock in one A/B set won't carry across to the other (i.e. unlocking the SMG, GG and RL in Claire A/Leon B won't let you play with them if you start playing Leon A/Claire B). As far as costumes go, you have to unlock these every time you start an A Scenario by finding Brad and stealing his Special Key, and doing so will put the Special Key in the Item Box for the B Scenario (there's no other way to get this key). It's been a while since I bothered with the special costumes in RE2 though, so I might be wrong on having to find Brad every time you play on one save.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I actually prefer Claire's weaponset over Leon's by quite a bit. Leon does have an objectively easier set to handle with very obvious purposes for each weapon, but the relative safety of such a clear-cut and conventional arsenal is just so much less exciting to use compared to Claire's collection of wonderful toys. Besides, who doesn't like pinning crows to the wall with 8-inch bolts, or making a pack of dogs disintegrate with a cluster of high-explosives?

I can see that. I think i'm still too much of a resource hog since I was too afraid to use any grenade rounds on anything below miniboss level, and what do you know, had like sixty of the bastards left at the end. I'll probably finally find it in me to actually use them instead of plinking away with the handgun when doing Claire A.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Amppelix posted:

I can see that. I think i'm still too much of a resource hog since I was too afraid to use any grenade rounds on anything below miniboss level, and what do you know, had like sixty of the bastards left at the end. I'll probably finally find it in me to actually use them instead of plinking away with the handgun when doing Claire A.

I usually save the acid rounds for bosses, but the grenade rounds I will usually use for anything greater than a zombie

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was searching around for the best way to play RE3 (capcom really capcom'd it up with these PS1 games, there's like five versions of each and they all have some teeny tiny exclusive features), and I found this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-3-restoration-project

Did any of you know about this? It's pretty recent, first released in April 2016, and it's only got a thousand downloads according to its page. Seems like it should be pretty much the best version of the game unless they've done some terrible "fixes" that they don't mention in the feature list. It's even got built in X360 controller support!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 27, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Amppelix posted:

I was searching around for the best way to play RE3 (capcom really capcom'd it up with these PS1 games, there's like five versions of each and they all have some teeny tiny exclusive features), and I found this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-3-restoration-project

Did any of you know about this? It's pretty recent, first released in April 2016, and it's only got a thousand downloads according to its page. Seems like it should be pretty much the best version of the game unless they've done some terrible "fixes" that they don't mention in the feature list. It's even got built in X360 controller support!

I never knew about it but I did have the PC version of RE3. I thought it was a decent version of the game. I would play it more if the site that I bought it from hadn't poo poo the bed. I need to see if I can find another place that sells it digitally.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

frank.club posted:

Ada's campaign starts off with easily the most frustrating segment of the game for me

Not only that, but it's built around having the most Crossover Events out of all the other campaigns. Which while it was a longshot that you'd find other people playing originally, It seems to be pretty much impossible now.

Also yeah the stealth section is annoying and the co-op being half assed'ly implemented is still good for a laugh.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 27, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Amppelix posted:

This prompted me to do some poking around about RE2 and I just discovered that the PC port of RE2 has a harder difficulty called Nightmare Mode :aaa: This video is pretty impressive so far.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 27, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Not only that, but it's built around having the most Crossover Events out of all the other campaigns. Which while it was a longshot that you'd find other people playing originally, It seems to be pretty much impossible now.

Also yeah the stealth section is annoying and the co-op being half assed'ly implemented is still good for a laugh.

The coop thing was only half assedly added because players wouldn't shut up about her needing coop. Then when they attempted to meet then halfway it became "why didn't you give custom animations or make it feel like you intended to have coop in her game?"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was not aware RE3 ever came out on PC.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

If Ada's campaign stayed without the "wedged-in as a compromise" co-op possibility, I honestly wouldn't have batted a loving eyelid outside of an initial "oh, right" on seeing that there was no co-op option. I mean it's Ada for Christ's sake; canonically she's always operated solo (albeit conveniently running into Leon almost every time in the process (and in turn this results in her violating her mission orders at some point, one way or another)), so it makes perfect sense to not have a co-op mode.

But of course not everyone who bought RE6 even knew who the gently caress Ada was at the time so complaints and whining about her not having co-op was inevitable :v:

All that being said, 'Agent' is a bit of a giggle and still some welcome extra firepower in No Hope, even if he can't open doors or really do anything outside of shoot things and teleport around when Ada makes progress.

marshmallow creep posted:

The only game in the mainline series without a PC release is Code: Veronica, which is all the more confusing now since it eventually had a HD release on X360 and PS3.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 27, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

It's also my favorite version because you can skip the door loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

It's also my favorite version because you can skip the door loading screens.

:getout: