Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Thanks Ants posted:

Edit: IPv6 at loving last

Is that really that big of deal?

Sure, F500s might need it but as a semi-networking pro it's not on the top of my project list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
:yotj:

No more working under the grumpy naysayer senior admin childishly shouting at his computer that he doesn't understand what it's showing him.

Now on to being an IT Manager in a one-person department, where i can hopefully steal work from the msp on projects to keep my skills up to date while offloading the garbage busy work!

Best part of the call was negotiating 7k above the initial offer, which ends up 2k above my minimum :hellyeah: Thanks goons for teaching me to always negotiate, otherwise you're leaving free money on the table.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

tomapot posted:

I'm here and my feet are friggin killing me. I troll for swag, but only the stuff I'm interested in, I do not need any t shirts but I am trying to win a drone or surface.

Yeah, I did over 17,000 steps today, haven't walked this much since we went to Disney World. I really need to start exercising, especially now I work from home.

I actually want to talk to some vendors, but so many of them are for things outside of my wheelhouse. I did find it funny that Robert Half and Nigel Frank have booths setup. Hey there, your company just spent a ton of money sending you here, want a new job?

Some of the cloud stuff still seems too expensive. A co-worker attended the Citrix on Azure session today, and he said the pricing was really high. It probably makes sense in a lot of situations but we're big enough that keeping it on premise makes more sense for us.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

skipdogg posted:

Some of the cloud stuff still seems too expensive. A co-worker attended the Citrix on Azure session today, and he said the pricing was really high. It probably makes sense in a lot of situations but we're big enough that keeping it on premise makes more sense for us.

For all the buzz with the :cloud: replacing On-Premises that's decades a way but it's a good secondary site or DR... It's not like you have to leave it running 24x7...

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Don't be bullied into moving to ~the cloud~ just because. It needs to provide some tangible benefit to your business. Make sure it is easier, better, or less expensive than your other option(s). if it's not, then it's just a buzzword to be filed away for another day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

True.

We spend a poo poo ton on traditional infrastructure, and that gives us the ability to do our own DR. I'm a huge fan of what the "cloud" does for smaller companies. They don't have to drop the millions on infrastructure that we have available. Start ups can scale super quick as they need to. Rumor has we're going to be using Azure for a backup target though, and we're setting up a Netbond connection to Azure for some reason. I don't have insight into our roadmap really.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

skipdogg posted:

True.

We spend a poo poo ton on traditional infrastructure, and that gives us the ability to do our own DR. I'm a huge fan of what the "cloud" does for smaller companies. They don't have to drop the millions on infrastructure that we have available. Start ups can scale super quick as they need to. Rumor has we're going to be using Azure for a backup target though, and we're setting up a Netbond connection to Azure for some reason. I don't have insight into our roadmap really.

It's probably Public Peering for some SaaS Service.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

Is that really that big of deal?

Sure, F500s might need it but as a semi-networking pro it's not on the top of my project list.

It's likely more relevant to mobile app developers than to people extending their datacenters into Azure. Mobile connectivity is already heavily NATed and some providers are only giving IPv4 access via NAT64.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Now on to being an IT Manager in a one-person department

:getin:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I was chatting with my account manager at Zones this morning and he was trying to get us connected with our new VMware rep.

I told him that I've joked with our team that we should switch to Hyper-V, and he told me that knew multiple guys who actually did switch to Hyper-V and got FIRED because it was that bad.

:stare:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Eh,

Hyper-v was bad but its come a long way.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hyper-V is fine?

We run 2x 3 node hyper-v clusters (server 2012 R2) and they're good, just under a year and no major issues.

I'm sure VMWare was the pinnacle of success when it first came out and there were no issues at all, and there continue to be no issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hyper-V (now) is actually pretty drat good. It definitely did not used to be, but I almost prefer it over VMware in a lot of ways now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mayodreams posted:

I was chatting with my account manager at Zones this morning and he was trying to get us connected with our new VMware rep.

I told him that I've joked with our team that we should switch to Hyper-V, and he told me that knew multiple guys who actually did switch to Hyper-V and got FIRED because it was that bad.

Wow, a VMware rep told you this? You don't say.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

anthonypants posted:

Our Solarwinds rep told us that one of their customers turned up SCOM and it DELETED the whole domain!

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I've never had a problem with Hyper-V, but VMWare smokes it in like every way imaginable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

anthonypants posted:

:aaaaa:

Nobody gets fired for buying IBM!

[Edit: In other news, I just had an MSP sales dude tell me that someone in a similar industry, in the same city, got replaced by an MSP because he was unwilling to work with the MSP to "get things done right" in an effort to earn my business. Yes, threatening me will definitely earn my business.]

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MF_James posted:

I'm sure VMWare was the pinnacle of success when it first came out and there were no issues at all, and there continue to be no issues.

Well, the problem is that they are competing with VMware now, not VMware when it first came out. It's okay for a product to have teething issues when it's first to market, but it's not great when you're trying to make up ground.

Hyper-V adoption is mostly driven by licensing benefits and Azure growth, because it's not really competitive with VMware on a technical level.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

mayodreams posted:

It's not that bad. If you are a powershell wizard you can even get it close to vmware levels on the automation side.

It's quite sufficient for the average deployment and far cheaper.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hyper-V (now) is actually pretty drat good. It definitely did not used to be, but I almost prefer it over VMware in a lot of ways now.

This hurts me to say, but I agree with you

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
At Ignite also. Pretty well organized so far. There was some confusion first day though because they had the connector bridge blocked between c and b. poo poo lunch though. So far sandwiches two days in a row. F that there is a food court in the CNN tower across the street.

Mainly aiming for server 2016 stuff. They seem to be pushing in place upgrades from 2012 to 2016 hard. No mention of 08 or 03 though. :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's not that bad. If you are a powershell wizard you can even get it close to vmware levels on the automation side.

It's quite sufficient for the average deployment and far cheaper.

Now this is very key, I do NOT use hyper-v in a huge environment, we have <100 VMs split between QA and PD. I haven't heard of anyone running extremely large environments on hyper-v but it may not scale well.

Can't say either way tho.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I still run into Server '03 all the goddamn time and see "special" extended-extended support agreements.

:ohdear:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you've got to buy Windows Datacenter licenses anyway you might as well look at Hyper-V

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
About 100 server 2003 here. And yes we are paying for extended support.

The 4000+ 2008r2 sp1 "mission critical" servers scare me more. They eol 1/2020. No plan to upgrade yet.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Meydey posted:

About 100 server 2003 here. And yes we are paying for extended support.

The 4000+ 2008r2 sp1 "mission critical" servers scare me more. They eol 1/2020. No plan to upgrade yet.
Is your business paying to to be at Ignite, and if so, why

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's to find out what they could have won

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Is your business paying to to be at Ignite, and if so, why

Microsoft partner training credits. Plus we have our own travel department.

~edit~ t-shirts and squishy balls

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
we are running one server on 2003 still and will be moving it to 2016 next year. The vast majority we have are on 2012 :sun:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Like a fool, I took this management job and now my day is an endless series of interruptions.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ElGroucho posted:

Like a fool, I took this management job and now my day job is an endless series of interruptions.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

mayodreams posted:

hyper-v is good. It's VMM that's the giant piece of poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just want to brag. I take an hour 45 for lunch everyday and go to the gym. :smug:

Edit*

And I can take my lunch whenever I want. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 27, 2016

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I know that Hyper-V has come a long way and is really good for some deployment types.

For the record, it was my account rep with Zones not a VMware shill. I have a really good relationship with him and he doesn't bull poo poo me. I don't take everything he says as the truth, but he has some big clients and has seen some poo poo.

For our deployment and needs, I am not moving from VMware at all right now. Everything works really well, and we are a Linux heavy environment so that keeps me in the VMware camp for a while longer.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

Now this is very key, I do NOT use hyper-v in a huge environment, we have <100 VMs split between QA and PD. I haven't heard of anyone running extremely large environments on hyper-v but it may not scale well.

Can't say either way tho.
I have a friend, who is also a goon, that worked at a school with a massive amount of VMs with High Availability with Hyper-V. Their Microsoft Rep told them he hadn't heard of anyone running anything near that large. From what I've been told it runs fine but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to find the exact VM you are looking for with 2012R2. I'll see if I can get him to make a post or two.

I'm going to be putting Hyper-V on a small environment of just a dozen or so VMs. Hyper-V is really really easy for someone that just knows windows server to come in and figure out what is going on. If you have a team supporting the solution use whatever they know best and fits your needs. In an all Windows shop I think Hyper-V with Datacenter is going to be solution at some point in the future if it's not already true.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

pixaal posted:

I have a friend, who is also a goon, that worked at a school with a massive amount of VMs with High Availability with Hyper-V. Their Microsoft Rep told them he hadn't heard of anyone running anything near that large. From what I've been told it runs fine but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to find the exact VM you are looking for with 2012R2. I'll see if I can get him to make a post or two.

I'm going to be putting Hyper-V on a small environment of just a dozen or so VMs. Hyper-V is really really easy for someone that just knows windows server to come in and figure out what is going on. If you have a team supporting the solution use whatever they know best and fits your needs. In an all Windows shop I think Hyper-V with Datacenter is going to be solution at some point in the future if it's not already true.

We even deployed some linux appliances through our hyper-v cluster, so that works fine.

Also talked to another goon and supposedly Target and some other large companies run hyper-v so it can't be all that bad. I CAN see how if you had shitloads of VMs in a single cluster, it would be hard to find specific VMs, especially if a bunch are similarly named.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm quite keen to test out Hyperconverged Storage Spaces Direct because we are never going to need more than 4 hosts, but it relies on getting hold of the kit to be able to do the testing with.

I'll hit up our Dell rep when 2016 launches to see if they've built up a validated design that I can poke.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There are certainly large enterprises that use Hyper-V, but it's far fewer than use VMware and that's not likely to change any time very soon.

The good news for Microsoft is that the virtualization market isn't where the money is going to be, so they don't need to displace VMware there any time soon.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

MF_James posted:

We even deployed some linux appliances through our hyper-v cluster, so that works fine.

Also talked to another goon and supposedly Target and some other large companies run hyper-v so it can't be all that bad. I CAN see how if you had shitloads of VMs in a single cluster, it would be hard to find specific VMs, especially if a bunch are similarly named.

I've done Hyper-V deployments with a lot of large companies some with more success than others.

Did a big move for ABM, they didn't love it (mostly due to pain with the migration tools rather than Hyper-V itself). Also did a pilot with a large Tier 1 backbone provider that went really well. For the production workloads they put on it immediately (Lync) it out performed their VMWare environment by quite a bit.

The real driver is going to be cost as VMM improves (yes it is awful in some ways, but also really great in others once you get into the mindset for it). C levels get annoyed at paying for things they already own. Why pay for licensing for 2 hypervisors if they're both pretty much equal (each one has things they're better at) and one you're going to buy anyway for the Windows Server licensing. It becomes more enticing when you throw in some of the Azure capabilities (ASR for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm quite keen to test out Hyperconverged Storage Spaces Direct because we are never going to need more than 4 hosts, but it relies on getting hold of the kit to be able to do the testing with.

I'll hit up our Dell rep when 2016 launches to see if they've built up a validated design that I can poke.

This looks really cool if it works, but the backend network connectivity has me skeptical. What does it take to get RDMA fabric (RCoE) set up between three servers and a switch?

For disclosure I set up a Cisco Hyperflex environment and the way everything is neatly laid together to create the converged fabric is amazing. After digging in to all of the parts, I can't imagine how a "soft" converged environment managed by Hyper-V would even work.