Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Necc0 posted:

have any of the right-wing paranoids realized that both he and evilweasel were members here :tinfoil:

Vilerat. Weasel is still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

have any of the right-wing paranoids realized that both he and evilweasel were members here :tinfoil:
You mean Vilerat? Evilweasel is still a live member here (well, last I checked :ohdear: ). Vilerat is Sean Smith, the State Dept. guy killed in Benghazi.

e: goddamnit and I refreshed, too! :argh:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Necc0 posted:

Not to mention Vilerat and Caro.

Full disclosure, guys. My good friend's wedding photo was in Hillary's pro-gay marriage video that she put out just before the Supreme Court decision. Pretty sure that means I'm a mole or something.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mezzanine posted:

How long until the top question for the debate is just a reference to "Votey McVoteface"?

I look forward to Hillary answering for her decision to send Harambe off to die for her emails in Benghazi.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mezzanine posted:

How long until the top question for the debate is just a reference to "Votey McVoteface"?

Nah, that's not going to happen. The top question's going to be "emails Benghazi Clinton Foundation white genocide cuck Pepe?"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Glenn Beck DID call Goonfleet a CIA front.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The "guaranteed consideration" of the top 30 questions will be a brief, anticlimactic, and universal "nope". Glad the organizers didn't paint themselves into a corner by actually pledging to ask one of the questions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Night10194 posted:

Thank Christ that didn't happen this time. That was my greatest fear last night, but that hasn't entered into almost any of the debate narrative.

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/780598101937643520

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

Glenn Beck DID call Goonfleet a CIA front.

If Goonfleet was run by the CIA, it'd be a lot worse at getting intel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Can't spell Chuck without Cuck and it works both ways.

E: oh dear

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Apraxin posted:

I've posted this before, and I think at least one other person did too, but it bears repeating - the NYT's recap of the second Gore-Bush debate opened with a searing condemnation of Gore for being able to name the constituent parts of Yugoslavia and for knowing and correctly pronouncing the names of the country's political leaders. What a loving show off, know-it-all elitist!

Yeah, sixteen years later and I'm still bitter about that debate coverage.

On a related note, I'm mildly surprised that Trump hasn't taken more flak for his response last night about our nuclear first strike policy. It wasn't entirely clear whether Trump knew either the current policy or Obama's proposed changes to it, although he did propose that China should invade North Korea. It was right before Hillary looked into the camera and promised that we would, in fact, abide by our treaty commitments and international law.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I bet whoever wrote that also thinks that getting As in school are Jew grades.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Tobermory posted:

On a related note, I'm mildly surprised that Trump hasn't taken more flak for his response last night about our nuclear first strike policy. It wasn't entirely clear whether Trump knew either the current policy or Obama's proposed changes to it, although he did propose that China should invade North Korea. It was right before Hillary looked into the camera and promised that we would, in fact, abide by our treaty commitments and international law.

It's definitely one of those things I hope she circles back to hit him on. I think she will arrive at the next debates with a full attack plan on points like that, some soundbites on tax evasion, etc.

The whole "let me reassure our allies" bit, though, was such a good move though it may have been worth it. She basically grabbed an opportunity to Start Being President right then and there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's definitely one of those things I hope she circles back to hit him on. I think she will arrive at the next debates with a full attack plan on points like that, some soundbites on tax evasion, etc.

The whole "let me reassure our allies" bit, though, was such a good move though it may have been worth it. She basically grabbed an opportunity to Start Being President right then and there.

That's how I've seen it reacted to, that she looked like she already WAS president in that moment.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tobermory posted:

That was so close to being a Sarah Palin moment for Trump but not quite. I hope in a future interview we get exactly that, with the interviewer saying "what do you think about our policy on x" and no one or nothing around to help him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Night10194 posted:

That's how I've seen it reacted to, that she looked like she already WAS president in that moment.

Yeah, it was the kind of move you would expect from someone running for reelection, not someone running for their first term.

Also, I want to say that last night really shows why a lot people felt that Hillary was a better candidate than Bernie. As much as I love him, he would not have been able to pull of that same kind of rope-a-dope that Hillary did last night. We had a technician hitting the exact spots to create avalanches without putting herself in risk of looking like a bully. Bernie would have beaten him last night, but I dont think he could have come out nearly as unscathed as Hillary did.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 28, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Night10194 posted:

Thank Christ that didn't happen this time. That was my greatest fear last night, but that hasn't entered into almost any of the debate narrative.

It didn't happen as much this time because Hillary held back. It seems like she got really good advice through her debate prep, and executed it very well. She seemed to really understand that she could really only win the debate by forcing Trump to make himself lose.

Night10194 posted:

It was boss as gently caress.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Serrath posted:

Honest question, what made Gore a bad candidate and who should the Dems have put up? I feel like he ran a bad campaign but I'm really sympathetic to Gore the candidate and I think he could have done a really good job as president.

The fact that he decided rather then run on continuing what Clinton was doing and maybe trying to appeal to the left, he pretty much tried to keep away from Clinton and selected a neo con for his vp.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

Those jokes about Steve King being a Klan member keep getting less and less funny and more and more serious.

The highlight:

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/777568225538088960

White supremacist motto, white supremacist buddy, white supremacist! It's like getting three strikes in a row. You know: KKK.
dude on the right looks like the hand monsters from spy kids

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tobermory posted:

Gore's big issue was that he was too much of a policy wonk, and that made him unable to compete with Bush. Every time the two candidates compared issues, Bush would speak in sweeping generalities and Gore would speak in specific technicalities. It was sort of like a less surreal and horrible version of last night's debates. Bush talked about his values, Gore talked about his specific policies.

Like, compare their responses in the October 17th debate:

In terms of better candidates, it's hard to say. Maybe Bill Bradley? He was farther to the left than Gore, and far more charismatic, but he never really picked up too much support.

You know, reading that debate quote from Bush II, I remember a time when he was viewed as one of the most inarticulate, unintelligible speakers to be a major party nominee in modern US history. Ah, the sweet, sweet days of yesteryear.

Star Man posted:

I bet whoever wrote that also thinks that getting As in school are Jew grades.

"C's get degrees :smug:"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Like clockwork:

https://twitter.com/machadooficial/status/781019068216246273

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

In regards to the whole Gore/Bush thing, I think something a lot of people need to remember is that 9/11 hadn't happened yet. I don't think anyone really could have predicted how jingoistic and aggressive the Bush administration would get back in 2000.

http://www.theonion.com/article/bush-our-long-national-nightmare-of-peace-and-pros-464 posted:

WASHINGTON, DC–Mere days from assuming the presidency and closing the door on eight years of Bill Clinton, president-elect George W. Bush assured the nation in a televised address Tuesday that "our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is finally over."

"My fellow Americans," Bush said, "at long last, we have reached the end of the dark period in American history that will come to be known as the Clinton Era, eight long years characterized by unprecedented economic expansion, a sharp decrease in crime, and sustained peace overseas. The time has come to put all of that behind us."

Bush swore to do "everything in [his] power" to undo the damage wrought by Clinton's two terms in office, including selling off the national parks to developers, going into massive debt to develop expensive and impractical weapons technologies, and passing sweeping budget cuts that drive the mentally ill out of hospitals and onto the street.

During the 40-minute speech, Bush also promised to bring an end to the severe war drought that plagued the nation under Clinton, assuring citizens that the U.S. will engage in at least one Gulf War-level armed conflict in the next four years.

"You better believe we're going to mix it up with somebody at some point during my administration," said Bush, who plans a 250 percent boost in military spending. "Unlike my predecessor, I am fully committed to putting soldiers in battle situations. Otherwise, what is the point of even having a military?"

On the economic side, Bush vowed to bring back economic stagnation by implementing substantial tax cuts, which would lead to a recession, which would necessitate a tax hike, which would lead to a drop in consumer spending, which would lead to layoffs, which would deepen the recession even further.

Wall Street responded strongly to the Bush speech, with the Dow Jones industrial fluctuating wildly before closing at an 18-month low. The NASDAQ composite index, rattled by a gloomy outlook for tech stocks in 2001, also fell sharply, losing 4.4 percent of its total value between 3 p.m. and the closing bell.

Asked for comment about the cooling technology sector, Bush said: "That's hardly my area of expertise."

Turning to the subject of the environment, Bush said he will do whatever it takes to undo the tremendous damage not done by the Clinton Administration to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. He assured citizens that he will follow through on his campaign promise to open the 1.5 million acre refuge's coastal plain to oil drilling. As a sign of his commitment to bringing about a change in the environment, he pointed to his choice of Gale Norton for Secretary of the Interior. Norton, Bush noted, has "extensive experience" fighting environmental causes, working as a lobbyist for lead-paint manufacturers and as an attorney for loggers and miners, in addition to suing the EPA to overturn clean-air standards.

Bush had equally high praise for Attorney General nominee John Ashcroft, whom he praised as "a tireless champion in the battle to protect a woman's right to give birth."

"Soon, with John Ashcroft's help, we will move out of the Dark Ages and into a more enlightened time when a woman will be free to think long and hard before trying to fight her way past throngs of protesters blocking her entrance to an abortion clinic," Bush said. "We as a nation can look forward to lots and lots of babies."

Continued Bush: "John Ashcroft will be invaluable in healing the terrible wedge President Clinton drove between church and state."

The speech was met with overwhelming approval from Republican leaders.

"Finally, the horrific misrule of the Democrats has been brought to a close," House Majority Leader Dennis Hastert (R-IL) told reporters. "Under Bush, we can all look forward to military aggression, deregulation of dangerous, greedy industries, and the defunding of vital domestic social-service programs upon which millions depend. Mercifully, we can now say goodbye to the awful nightmare that was Clinton's America."

"For years, I tirelessly preached the message that Clinton must be stopped," conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said. "And yet, in 1996, the American public failed to heed my urgent warnings, re-electing Clinton despite the fact that the nation was prosperous and at peace under his regime. But now, thank God, that's all done with. Once again, we will enjoy mounting debt, jingoism, nuclear paranoia, mass deficit, and a massive military build-up."

An overwhelming 49.9 percent of Americans responded enthusiastically to the Bush speech.

"After eight years of relatively sane fiscal policy under the Democrats, we have reached a point where, just a few weeks ago, President Clinton said that the national debt could be paid off by as early as 2012," Rahway, NJ, machinist and father of three Bud Crandall said. "That's not the kind of world I want my children to grow up in."

"You have no idea what it's like to be black and enfranchised," said Marlon Hastings, one of thousands of Miami-Dade County residents whose votes were not counted in the 2000 presidential election. "George W. Bush understands the pain of enfranchisement, and ever since Election Day, he has fought tirelessly to make sure it never happens to my people again."

Bush concluded his speech on a note of healing and redemption.

"We as a people must stand united, banding together to tear this nation in two," Bush said. "Much work lies ahead of us: The gap between the rich and the poor may be wide, be there's much more widening left to do. We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent. And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it."

"The insanity is over," Bush said. "After a long, dark night of peace and stability, the sun is finally rising again over America. We look forward to a bright new dawn not seen since the glory days of my dad."

The Onion, in January 2001

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ugggghhhh what kind of horrifies me about this is Hillary must have known it would make her a target. And that that would help her campaign too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The Onion, in January 2001

It was supposed to be satire.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

woke wedding drone posted:

Ugggghhhh what kind of horrifies me about this is Hillary must have known it would make her a target. And that that would help her campaign too.

They're all retweeting a DAILY MAIL article where she was accused (and not indicted due to lack of proof) of driving her boyfriend away from the scene of a crime, and of threatening a judge (also not indicted).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Kalman posted:

It was supposed to be satire.

Well yeah, but satire plays on ideas that are already in the public consciousness. I don't think anyone would've predicted Vietnam 2: Desert Boogaloo like we got, but people were definitely expecting stupid, deadly, overly expensive wars.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Wow, the pile on is real there. There's people just loving camping out on her Twitter feed linking to stories about how she did a sex scene one time so therefore she's obviously lying about Trump..

One of them responded to me, and it was immediately favorited by 2 of the other people that have been camping her feed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

I assume that they made her (Machado) aware that this would happen and that she decided to go through with it anyway. I think this partly because it's the decent thing to do, but also from a cynical point of view because you need to make sure that someone understands what they're getting into so they don't buckle under pressure and make the whole thing backfire. Mostly because it's the right thing to do and I think :abuela: is actually a good-hearted human being, but it certainly makes sense to do for the political machinations of it.

It's still horrifying, to be clear, that women can't speak out against Trump without having the deplorables verbally assault them from all sides. I also absolutely don't think that Hillary is throwing her to the wolves and that Machado was fully informed that this was a possible, even expected outcome.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 28, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

She wasn't really what you would call a "civilian," even if many people weren't super aware of her until last night. She was Miss Universe, and she's been in media for a long time. I'm sure she was aware or the campaign made her aware that this might happen.

Also, it seems like there were a few articles about her set to drop this week anyway. So this was going to happen whether or not Hillary mentioned it or not last night. She just put a spotlight on it.

I also think that they're going to have a hard time discrediting her. The Inside Edition tape along with his comments this morning along with what she's saying combined with what we already know about Trump.. something tells me people aren't going to have a hard time believing Trump is a racist misogynist prick.

Right Wing Media's gonna Right Wing Media, but this is going to stick.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 28, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah, but I don't think anything can really prepare you for the firehose of Twitter bigotry. Certainly being a beauty pageant contestant doesn't. I'm sure the campaign warned her, but this stuff will make you crazy.

She'll come off looking like a hero for sure, but she's going to pay a big price for it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Yeah, but I don't think anything can really prepare you for the firehose of Twitter bigotry. Certainly being a beauty pageant contestant doesn't. I'm sure the campaign warned her, but this stuff will make you crazy.

She'll come off looking like a hero for sure, but she's going to pay a big price for it.

I know this probably isn't quite your intention, but you're veering dangerously close to "I know best how members of marginalized groups should stand up for themselves." territory.

She became an American citizen recently. She has been in America for a while. She's been on Twitter for a while. I think it's kind of a dick move to act like she can't make her own decisions.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

In slightly more positive news, Roll Call is reporting that the House is allowing a vote on adding aid for Flint into the water bill. There is now (slightly) more hope that the victims can get federal aid.

And since this was the Democratic Caucus' main demand before allowing passage of the CR, we might actually avoid a government shutdown this year.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

I know this probably isn't quite your intention, but you're veering dangerously close to "I know best how members of marginalized groups should stand up for themselves." territory.

She became an American citizen recently. She has been in America for a while. She's been on Twitter for a while. I think it's kind of a dick move to act like she can't make her own decisions.

Don't loving take it there, that's just sad. What I am commenting on is what happens when ordinary people (don't act like she's some kind of hardened professional because she won a pageant) get used by campaigns. None of us have any idea what it is like when all the bigots in an audience of 100 million suddenly focus on you and you alone. It's beyond cyber-bullying. It makes you fear for your life, and maybe rightly.

The despicable people in this are 100% Trump and his twitter sycophants, that's beyond question. It just sickened me a little to think that somebody in Clinton's campaign surely must have been able to game it out to this point, and probably thought it was all to the good. Upon reflection I don't really think Clinton herself would be that calculating. But her staff? Oh yeah. They threw her to the wolves.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tobermory posted:

In slightly more positive news, Roll Call is reporting that the House is allowing a vote on adding aid for Flint into the water bill. There is now (slightly) more hope that the victims can get federal aid.

And since this was the Democratic Caucus' main demand before allowing passage of the CR, we might actually avoid a government shutdown this year.

Leave it to the HFC to be ok with kids being poisoned with lead.

gently caress you Raul gently caress you with a cactus covered in rusty razors.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Don't loving take it there, that's just sad. What I am commenting on is what happens when ordinary people (don't act like she's some kind of hardened professional because she won a pageant) get used by campaigns. None of us have any idea what it is like when all the bigots in an audience of 100 million suddenly focus on you and you alone. It's beyond cyber-bullying. It makes you fear for your life, and maybe rightly.

The despicable people in this are 100% Trump and his twitter sycophants, that's beyond question. It just sickened me a little to think that somebody in Clinton's campaign surely must have been able to game it out to this point, and probably thought it was all to the good. Upon reflection I don't really think Clinton herself would be that calculating. But her staff? Oh yeah. They threw her to the wolves.

Oh I see, so as long as it supports your narrative of Hillary's campaign being "calculating," then it's okay to remove all agency from a latina who's standing up for herself and letting the world know what Trump did to her.

You're also assuming that she wasn't already being harassed for being a latina on Twitter.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 28, 2016

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

What the hell.

I'll take your counterfactual - that they left her unsupported - and produce another: that they put her in contact with Leslie Jones. 'None of us have any idea'? There are people who do.

e: 'counterfactual' being the word here. I'm not claiming that they did.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ErIog posted:

Oh I see, so as long as it supports your narrative of Hillary's campaign being "calculating," then it's okay to remove all agency from a latina who's standing up for herself and letting the world know what Trump did to her.

I think his concern is reasonable. He's not removing her agency, but saying she probably wasn't prepared for this kind of backlash. Few people would be.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

Regardless of her agency, it's pretty obvious at this point that she wasn't expecting this onslaught. But I'm calculating too. This is good. If more victims of Trump have to tell their stories and face death threats and abuse, it's good if it keeps Trump out of office. Because none of our identities will matter if we are ash.

That's right, I sicken myself.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

I think his concern is reasonable. He's not removing her agency, but saying she probably wasn't prepared for this kind of backlash. Few people would be.

"This person who has been a public figure in media for decades couldn't possibly understand modern media (including Twitter)"

It's one thing to complain about Twitter inevitably harassing her, but it's another presumptuous thing entirely to say "she couldn't have possibly known," and insinuate that you know better than she does what the right decision is for her. What makes you assume she didn't see what happened to Leslie Jones?

It's also only been a single day. So making the claim, "Hillary hung her out to dry," is a little rich. This story isn't over.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ErIog posted:

"This person who has been a public figure in media for decades couldn't possibly understand modern media (including Twitter)"

It's one thing to complain about Twitter inevitably harassing her, but it's another presumptuous thing entirely to say "she couldn't have possibly known," and insinuate that you know better than she does what the right decision is for her.

Her response to the onslaught makes it quite clear that she wasnt prepared for this kind of concerted response. And it's quite common to go into a situation with an idea of its outcome but to lack the knowledge of its true scope. It happens all the time, with people more famous than her, even.

You're turning this into an argument over agency as opposed to being concerned that a campaign may have taken advantage of someone who wasn't entirely prepared for the true nature of the backlash. And it's really loving weird.

• Locked thread