Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Welp, time to bite the bullet. Scheduled CICD 210-060 test a few weeks out.

Been working with CUCM at work for over a year, been labbing things at home for a while now. Already watched through the CBT nuggets course on it, which was mostly review for me. It was a bit annoying when he'd stop when he was about to start configuring things like route patterns and go 'ah ah ah, not for this test'. Anyone here that's taken it have any pointers? I'm confident in my experience, not so much in rote memorization like which sub-sub-sub-sub menu some feature is in that I've never used, but know what it's about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
passed ICND2 v2 with a 867 / 1000 today. I'm relieved because I dont have to buy or restudy v3 material. Going to update my resume and consider my options on next cert

... tomorrow.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

mythicknight posted:

Welp, time to bite the bullet. Scheduled CICD 210-060 test a few weeks out.

Been working with CUCM at work for over a year, been labbing things at home for a while now. Already watched through the CBT nuggets course on it, which was mostly review for me. It was a bit annoying when he'd stop when he was about to start configuring things like route patterns and go 'ah ah ah, not for this test'. Anyone here that's taken it have any pointers? I'm confident in my experience, not so much in rote memorization like which sub-sub-sub-sub menu some feature is in that I've never used, but know what it's about.

Well I took the voice and video with very little real world experience and managed to pass (several months study though) last year. I'm sure the CCNA collaboration isn't much different just with updated tech and trivia.

I have heard the ccnp collaboration tests have some serious problems with diagrams you can't read and questions asking for a certain number of correct answers but with more correct choices than there should be. Expect some bullshit like that.

Also there is bound to be some unfair questions on tech you'll never see like the full room telepresence setups or exotic uccx scripting that shouldn't be on an entry level test.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Bigass Moth posted:

Also there is bound to be some unfair questions on tech you'll never see like the full room telepresence setups or exotic uccx scripting that shouldn't be on an entry level test.

Full room telepresence exists and is amazing. But you're right, it's rare outside of Cisco campuses and C level exec offices

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

Echoing this sentiment. I've been managing Enterprise Windows environments for more than a decade and I can't pass those tests without studying. Real World experience helps, but won't get you past the tests on its own.

The biggest issues are, like vyst said, knowing the "Microsoft Way" to answer the question even though that's not the real world answer.

They also love to delve deep into new features that people either aren't using or might not be familiar with. You really have to know the ins and outs of it.

Test taking skills are also a major factor of the Microsoft exams now with the scenario based testlets. They bombard you with information and you have to be able to evaluate the scenario and choose the most correct answer to the question. There can be a single sentence in multiple paragraphs that changes the answer from what you think it is, to what they're looking for. I've read several almost trick questions on the exams before where there's one line like "a one way external trust exists between adatum and wingtip" in the testlet background information that can affect the answer of a question.

You know Bill hasn't had much to do with Microsoft in almost a decade right?

Look at the 70-412 blueprint. You're telling me you've done some of that stuff tens or hundreds of times? I've never talked to anyone that has actually used Microsofts IPAM solution, and it's somewhat new so I know they're going to have at least 2 or 3 questions on it. AD RMS, the entire business continuity, and DR section I would say most Microsoft Admins are not familiar enough from day to day job duties they could pass those sections of the test without study. There are going to be questions about all that stuff on the test. Hyper-V is a huge push right now as well, most folks use VMware at work. I've found just using some of these things don't give you a deep enough background on them either. Setting up some of this stuff from scratch (ADRMS, ADFS, ADCS) is the best way to get a good grasp on the material.

Nthing all this. As an MS admin all of this is true. I did nothing but lab the 70-417 requirements for something like 3-4 months before I scheduled the test, and was stunned that I passed it.

Although if you're a prospective MCSA, a possible alternate route - get the 2k8 MCSA. Yes, it's basically obsolete, but when I got my 2012 MCSA, 2k3 was just being phased out as the de facto standard in a bunch of large companies. These are probably the same companies that put off the Win 7 upgrade until the very last second, but it never hurts.

After you get your 2k8, upgrade to 2k12 with the 70-417. That way when the 2016 MCSA comes out, you can transition to that with just the one exam. Five exams gives you three MCSA certs, which looks GREAT on a resume. Plus you learn enough so that if you're trying to YotJ, you have more than enough fresh technical knowledge to ace a tech interview just from studying up for the exams.

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 26, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Might need to go with GiP for this, but anyone used the post 9/11 for cert training? How does that even work? Is there a dollar limit, does it affect my months balance differently? I have my bachelors and have about 11 months of benefits left.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fudge posted:

Might need to go with GiP for this, but anyone used the post 9/11 for cert training? How does that even work? Is there a dollar limit, does it affect my months balance differently? I have my bachelors and have about 11 months of benefits left.

The last I looked it's a really inefficient way to use your benefits, but since you,already have a bachelor's...have at it unless you want a Master's bro.

Before that, check out http://vets.syr.edu/education/employment-programs/

IIRC you have a year to skillport your brains out, but they pay for your vouchers.

Edit: if anyone is interested in this some of my co-workers have done this, I can get you a mileage report...that is, if anyone cares ;)

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 26, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Marshall Louis posted:

The last I looked it's a really inefficient way to use your benefits, but since you,already have a bachelor's...have at it unless you want a Master's bro.

Before that, check out http://vets.syr.edu/education/employment-programs/

IIRC you have a year to skillport your balls off, but they pay for your vouchers.

Edit: if anyone is interested in this some of my co-workers have done this, I can get you a mileage report...that is, if anyone cares ;)

Holy poo poo! No one told me about this in ACAP. loving good looking out man!

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fudge posted:

Holy poo poo! No one told me about this in ACAP. loving good looking out man!

Read the fine print, you have a year, and they make you take low level poo poo in order if you don't already have it. At least, when someone told me about this last year those were the terms.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fudge posted:

GiP has like 4 threads devoted to this topic, as well as a guy who was a VA benefits manager. I'd recommend going there.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Bigass Moth posted:

Well I took the voice and video with very little real world experience and managed to pass (several months study though) last year. I'm sure the CCNA collaboration isn't much different just with updated tech and trivia.

I have heard the ccnp collaboration tests have some serious problems with diagrams you can't read and questions asking for a certain number of correct answers but with more correct choices than there should be. Expect some bullshit like that.

Thanks, I feel a bit better now. Will watch out for gotchas.

IX series looks amazing, but even our c-level said gently caress it and went with a dual screen MX. And I actually have a single screen MX800 here I can play with, which will help once I get that far. Just hoping the na-level doesn't try to go too far with it if at all.

I have just enough experience with UCCX to know I don't want to use it at all ever :downsgun:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have done no exam today and I just got an e-mail from Microsoft to congratulate me with my MSCE Cloud platform and Infrastructure (*charter) cert. To make sure this was no spam. I logged into mcp.microsoft and yes it's even on my transcript earned today.
The last exam I passed was the 70-413 1 month ago. I only completed the 70-410 to 70-413 exams.
Has MS made a mistake? Has someone posed as me to do the exam? I can't imagine that.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
I guess Microsoft were due yet another complete reworking of the MCSE/MCSD system, it's only been a couple of years since the last one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/27/microsoft_makes_massive_changes_to_mcse_and_mcsd/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx

Sefal posted:

I have done no exam today and I just got an e-mail from Microsoft to congratulate me with my MSCE Cloud platform and Infrastructure (*charter) cert.
You've just been upgraded automatically to one of the new certs as "All MCSE certifications released prior to September 2016 will be retired on March 31, 2017."

[oMa]Whackster fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 27, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I've been the lone IT person at my job for 15 years. I want out, but I need certs for my resume. I currently have A+ and S+ which are fairly worthless. I'm not sure which path to take next. MCSE path or CCIE path? I know I've got a long road of studying, but I want to get started on the path. Which path has more prospects? Which is more lucrative? Where should I start? CCENT and go from there?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What have you been doing for fifteen years? You should be able to determine what you like by this point.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Bigass Moth posted:

What have you been doing for fifteen years? You should be able to determine what you like by this point.
Pretty much everything IT related for a small business with 20ish users and 150 or so remote users. I had set up servers from scratch, Citrix servers, etc. I migrated to Office365 a few years ago, and last year I migrated our main management system software to the cloud. PCs rarely have problems these days and I'm not very challenged by what I do. I basically have to set up users in various sites, reset passwords, etc. It is all easy, but there's nowhere for me to go career wise. I'm looking for something with more advancement opportunities.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Leon Einstein posted:

Pretty much everything IT related for a small business with 20ish users and 150 or so remote users. I had set up servers from scratch, Citrix servers, etc. I migrated to Office365 a few years ago, and last year I migrated our main management system software to the cloud. PCs rarely have problems these days and I'm not very challenged by what I do. I basically have to set up users in various sites, reset passwords, etc. It is all easy, but there's nowhere for me to go career wise. I'm looking for something with more advancement opportunities.

What do you LIKE to do? Or, what in IT makes you hate your life the least?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

MF_James posted:

What do you LIKE to do? Or, what in IT makes you hate your life the least?
I like hardware and hands on stuff the most, but I don't really think that'd pay well since it's easy stuff. I really don't hate anything. It's just I feel like a janitor since we are basically fully in the cloud now and the necessity of me keeping our servers up to date and running well is gone.

I just don't feel like I'm learning anything new, and won't be if I stay here. I sort of feel like an IT fraud because my job is so easy. I want to sharpen my chops.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Leon Einstein posted:

I like hardware and hands on stuff the most, but I don't really think that'd pay well since it's easy stuff. I really don't hate anything. It's just I feel like a janitor since we are basically fully in the cloud now and the necessity of me keeping our servers up to date and running well is gone.

Yeah hands on poo poo is not going to make you fat stacks of cash, so if you're looking to make good money you'll have to get away from that. If you don't care about making good money, go be a datacenter monkey.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I do care about the money. I've been offered the job to run the office as they are opening a new location out of state, but I'm not really excited about it. I want to deal with high end IT, not HR BS.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Leon Einstein posted:

I do care about the money. I've been offered the job to run the office as they are opening a new location out of state, but I'm not really excited about it. I want to deal with high end IT, not HR BS.

There are several ways out of your place and the good news is you can choos which one to take.

You could go the OS way and go for your MCSA / MCSE or RHCSA / RHCE depending if you like Windows or Linux better.

If you want to get into networking you can start with CCNA and later CCNP / CCIE. This will probably take you a lot longer than the OS route (ccie for sure).

With a lot of hands on experience like you seem to have, you could also try to land an Ops Engineer role in a DevOps team.

Or start learning Java/.Net and become a programmer. Landing jobs with no experience might be tricky though.

VCP is also something you can look at, but I know nothing about that track.

Try to figure out what you'd like to do and start making steps. It sounds like you have some time to study on the job, try to do that as much as you can. Once you've decided what you want to be when you grow up ;) we can give you pointsrs at what materials you could use.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 27, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah if you want to jump ship and make all the monies, "specializing" in something is the way to go, figure out what you want to do and then work towards certs for that. Like networking? Go CCNA. Like windows servers? MCS* certs. Linux? RHCSA. You need to decide what you want to do tho.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I'd prefer OS stuff honestly. Is it worth getting my Network +? It should be fairly easy for me to get, but I've seen the thread recommend Cisco certs for networking instead.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you're not sure just pick one you think you like. If it's not your cup of tea you can pick another one. Nothing wrong having 2-3 entry certifications. Hiring managers / HR love that stuff and it'll give you a pretty good basis for anything.

Skip Network+ and go for CCENT/CCNA

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 27, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Is CASP worth anything?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
If you're at 15 years of experience, the Network+ will not do anything to help you get in the door for a new job. It will be a speck of dust on your resume.

You'll need to look at the CCNA / MCSA level of certification to see even the smallest benefit. At 15 years I think you'd see improved chances with CCNP / MCSE levels of certs. CISSP is good if you're looking at the security side of things but it sounds like you want to stay in the hardware / hands-on realm.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for the help guys.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="464712170"]
I guess Microsoft were due yet another complete reworking of the MCSE/MCSD system, it's only been a couple of years since the last one:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/27/microsoft_makes_massive_changes_to_mcse_and_mcsd/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcse-certification.aspx

You've just been upgraded automatically to one of the new certs as "All MCSE certifications released prior to September 2016 will be retired on March 31, 2017."

Oh sweet.
Does this mean that the MCSE server infrastructure cert is being phased out? I only need to do the 70-414 exam. Was planning of focusing on the upgrade exam for MCSA 2016 next year. Not sure if any word is out on the MCSE 2016 exams.
It's still worth to pick the mcse server infrastructure up right?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
God drat, ANNUAL recertification?

I get the soundbites - this keeps you up on technology. But oh my god how much is this going to screw the absent minded individual who lets the date slip because it's every drat year, loses his cert, and has to start all over?

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just had this confirmed by a colleague at Ignite:

You don't lose your MCSE if you don't recertify, you earn a new one each year, so MCSE Mobility 2016, then MCSE Mobility 2017 the following year if you do an additional elective.

From the FAQ:

“These credentials do not have a recertification requirement. Instead, the achievement date signifies how you keep up with changes to the technology. Every year, you have the opportunity to re-earn the certification by passing an exam from the list of electives, demonstrating your investment in broadening or deepening your skills in a given Center of Excellence. Each time you earn the certification, a new certification entry is added to your transcript.”

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ooooh, well excellent. :)

Although I look forward to "MCSE Mobility 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019..." in 2024 being the new version of "VCP 3.5, 4, 5, 5.5, 6" that we're seeing on resumes today. Just, just say VCP guy, I get it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MSCE 2000, 2003, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2018R2, 2018R2SP1...

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm not going to argue with the MCSE changes; makes picking it up from MCSA a single test, which is cool.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jeoh posted:

MSCE 2000, 2003, 2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2012R2, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2018R2, 2018R2SP1...

If i see something like this on someone's resume I'm just going to assume they're a loving rear end in a top hat. :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

vyst posted:

If i see something like this on someone's resume I'm just going to assume they're a loving rear end in a top hat. :v:
Hey, come on, Indians are a fine people with a rich cultural heritage.

Jokes that some poor fool might mistake as racist probably need some context - I've never seen someone pad out a resume with certificates quite like a South Asian candidate.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Hey, come on, Indians are a fine people with a rich cultural heritage.

This made me lol really hard because while it appears racist their notorious certification factories are all to familiar to the resumes coming across my desk

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Anyone working on Cisco TSHOOT?

I found http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/le3/le2/le37/le10/tshoot_demo.html to practice some scenarios.

I am NOT looking for the correct answers here, but it seems that no matter what I answer, even randomly, it says "you have answered correctly" I was expecting more of, you answered 1 out of 3 correctly, for whichever ticket was being worked on.

Wondering if this may be buggy...

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I passed 70-533 yesterday, whoop whoop. Now to try and transfer into a project where I can actually play with Azure instead of just futzing about with it at home!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

gently caress I can't believe it's been a year and a half already.

quote:

Your VMware Certified Professional credential will expire within 6 months.

The demand for trained and qualified professionals continues to grow making your certification more important than ever. Now is the time to recertify or move ahead to the next level of certification. If your certification expires, you will be required to repeat the entire certification exam process in order to regain your certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Taking my final test for MCSE tomorrow. Hopefully it's not as bad as I expect; but I think it will be.

Microsoft tests are annoying as hell :ssj: